[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal Sentinel Subscriptions  (Read 16949 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Journal Sentinel Subscriptions
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
This is recency bias, opinion in journalism has been around for centuries....hell, yellow journalism is a term for this that's been around for 120 years and was basically the #FakeNews of its day.

The problem with news is not necessarily the purveyors of news, but the consumers of news these days. Technology has enabled (for good and for bad) consumers to consume news that aligns with their world view instead of aligning their world view with the news. Don't get me wrong, having lots of ways to consume news is a great thing and so is having lots of different news "perspectives" but that puts the burden on the consumer to separate fact from opinion which becomes difficult and something our society just isn't prepared to handle.

I do not disagree with what you said, except for the recency bias.  I made these same claims 15 years ago, 10 years ago.  It has been around for a centuries, but it was not this bad especially on the television side until 24 news came about.  It is unwatchable now and serious journalists are hard to find.  It has not helped the civil discourse, that is for sure.  There is definitely more of it now, but this isn't a new thing, but definitely at a higher level of incidents.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
It does not happen nearly as much as you suggest. Most major newspapers do a great job of separating "pure news" from opinion IMHO.

TV "news" shows? That's a whole 'nother story.

I said it happens more than it used.   You keep saying it doesn't happen as much as I suggest?  What quantity have I suggested?  How are you deciding my interpretation of more than it used to?
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
There are community-run Facebook pages out there that discuss things like local school board elections, tax hikes, etc.

Yep, and they're typically a cesspool of misinformation and speculation, combined with aggregation from legitimate news sources. They are not creating content or reporting news.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »
I said it happens more than it used.

Is this your opinion, or do you have some quantifiable evidence to back up your claim?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
I do not disagree with what you said, except for the recency bias.  I made these same claims 15 years ago, 10 years ago.  It has been around for a centuries, but it was not this bad especially on the television side until 24 news came about.  It is unwatchable now and serious journalists are hard to find.  It has not helped the civil discourse, that is for sure.  There is definitely more of it now, but this isn't a new thing, but definitely at a higher level of incidents.

Read a newspaper

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »
Yep, and they're typically a cesspool of misinformation and speculation, combined with aggregation from legitimate news sources. They are not creating content or reporting news.

NOT TO MENTION THAT THEY"RE ALL RUSSIAN BOTS!!!!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Read a newspaper

I still do, every single day.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
Is this your opinion, or do you have some quantifiable evidence to back up your claim?

My opinion, also shared by some of the faculty of the Columbia Journalism Review, which is up there with the best of the best.  The insertion of opinion into areas of journalism that were historically free of opinion.  It is how news is done today, and in my opinion that is terrible for this country. 

A Pew Research study about a year ago illustrated how many Americans cannot tell the difference between opinion and fact, especially in news content in which news agencies are mixing the two together. That does a disservice to the public, in my opinion. 
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »
My opinion, also shared by some of the faculty of the Columbia Journalism Review, which is up there with the best of the best.  The insertion of opinion into areas of journalism that were historically free of opinion.  It is how news is done today, and in my opinion that is terrible for this country. 

A Pew Research study about a year ago illustrated how many Americans cannot tell the difference between opinion and fact, especially in news content in which news agencies are mixing the two together. That does a disservice to the public, in my opinion.

OK. You're allowed an opinion.

My opinion is different than yours, and I'm allowed it as well.

Kumbaya, and all that.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »
OK. You're allowed an opinion.

My opinion is different than yours, and I'm allowed it as well.

Kumbaya, and all that.

Perfect.  Let us not state our opinions as fact, then. Same as someone saying you cannot be a Cardinals football fan and a Cubs baseball fan, as if this is physical law.
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
Perfect.  Let us not state our opinions as fact, then. Same as someone saying you cannot be a Cardinals football fan and a Cubs baseball fan, as if this is physical law.

I'm not going to get involved in your numerous ongoing spats with others.

And I just noticed you said earlier, "especially on the television side," which is of course true (in both of our opinions).

I would just caution you not to conflate TV "news" with what our great national newspapers publish. Thank goodness for the NYT, WaPo and WSJ. As a nation, we'd be effed without them right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »
Thank goodness for the NYT, WaPo and WSJ. As a nation, we'd be effed without them right now.

^^^ ban dis guy

just like the newspaper did
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
^^^ ban dis guy

He didn't make a political statement.  In fact he named papers whose opinion pages range both "sides" of the political spectrum.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
^^^ ban dis guy

EA approves of this message.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
How 'bout Katie George, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
^^^ ban dis guy

As usual, your (lack of) character is revealed. Not to mention your lack of judgment.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »

He didn't make a political statement.  In fact he named papers whose opinion pages range both "sides" of the political spectrum.

i'd hate to guess what both "sides' ya referring to?  dumb and dumber? eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
Really, people?

feedback