[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another millennial thread...  (Read 27338 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Another millennial thread...
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »

And, NO, Millennials you are not getting my job -- just yet. I'm earning my keep, so why should I surrender it to you!

Until you are deemed to expensive to do a job someone else will do for 2/3 the salary. As you see now in the Chicago area with McDonalds and Kraft moving their offices.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
I'm not sure why you quoted me.

I was simply pointing out the craziness that apparently thinks we don't still vaccinate for polio.

I'm guessing he meant small pox or something else as polio vaccine still given.  My kids are in their teens, but received it as do most US citizens to this day.  Small Pox vaccines was stopped when I was a kid, but because I lived on and off in Central and South America, I recall we had to get those and maybe boosters....can't recall. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
+1,000

I think this should be in huge, massive flashing letters. I have friends who are very well off and comfortable but do nothing but complain about what they don't have or what others get. They did a study that found most people would be happier if their neighbors made less than they do than if they got a raise that left them below what their neighbors make. That's just ridiculous.

Happiness doesn't come from what you have, it comes from the life you live. I was happy when I was scraping by on $17,000 per year out of college and I'm don't think I'm any happier now making 5x that. I don't think about what my neighbors, friends, or family have that I don't.

I think the vast majority of unhappy people I've met have decided to be that way.

Brew - you have discovered this most important truth as a young man. This is rare - I couldn't be happier for you!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Happiness doesn't come from what you have, it comes from the life you live. I was happy when I was scraping by on $17,000 per year out of college and I'm don't think I'm any happier now making 5x that.

Dang, u need a raise (nh)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
+1,000

I think this should be in huge, massive flashing letters. I have friends who are very well off and comfortable but do nothing but complain about what they don't have or what others get. They did a study that found most people would be happier if their neighbors made less than they do than if they got a raise that left them below what their neighbors make. That's just ridiculous.

Happiness doesn't come from what you have, it comes from the life you live. I was happy when I was scraping by on $17,000 per year out of college and I'm don't think I'm any happier now making 5x that. I don't think about what my neighbors, friends, or family have that I don't.

I think the vast majority of unhappy people I've met have decided to be that way.

My wife and I speak of this often.  We were sometimes happiest when I made $18K from Marquette with zero benefits and worked 80 hours a week, no weekends off, almost three months in a row.  Of course after that came kids, mortgages, nice things but also many insane pressures, too. 

Your words are strong here.  The trap can be that you get used to the nice things, and it is hard to go back if jobs take a turn, or what have you.  A strong family can help there, and a support system.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
+1,000

Just another underpaid civil servant.   And I agree, a significant number of unhappy people choose it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
I'm guessing he meant small pox or something else as polio vaccine still given.  My kids are in their teens, but received it as do most US citizens to this day.  Small Pox vaccines was stopped when I was a kid, but because I lived on and off in Central and South America, I recall we had to get those and maybe boosters....can't recall.

Chicos is "guessing" what WarriorDad means...

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2018, 07:21:49 PM »
Chicos is "guessing" what WarriorDad....

Can’t read his mind, but laugh heartily at your conspiracy notions.

Happy New Year

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
Until you are deemed to expensive to do a job someone else will do for 2/3 the salary. As you see now in the Chicago area with McDonalds and Kraft moving their offices.

LOL!

Let's just say there are reasons why that's not going to happen. It's not that I'm so damn good or my Millennials don't measure up. It's just not going to happen. Trust me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »
But in most cases people choose happiness or misery. Once they make their choice there are plenty of circumstances they can use to justify it.

This is spot on. I always say that if I ever write my memoirs, the word "lucky" will be in the title. I know I've been lucky, and my kids have been, too.

I have friends who are very well off and comfortable but do nothing but complain about what they don't have or what others get. Happiness doesn't come from what you have, it comes from the life you live. I was happy when I was scraping by on $17,000 per year out of college and I'm don't think I'm any happier now making 5x that. I don't think about what my neighbors, friends, or family have that I don't. I think the vast majority of unhappy people I've met have decided to be that way.

Love this post, brew. It kinda goes to why I occasionally express frustration at the obviously joyless attitude Scoopers like muguru and willie have. To me, being happy and optimistic is so much better than the alternative.

Every once in awhile, my wife and I look back at the pittance we made in our first year or two out of college and recall fondly how happy we were then. Maybe it's because we didn't have real responsibilities -- i.e. kids!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
Sounds like y'all had it damn nice compared to many others.

I did. And I wasn't complaining.

I was a lucky kid, I was a lucky young adult, and now I'm a lucky almost-60-year-old guy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2018, 07:13:54 AM »
From my refrigerator magnet in year I was born. 

Your car lasted about four years before it fell apart from poor design. It was extremely unsafe compared to what we have today and probably rusted out in two years. Oh, and besides being a gas hog, it probably emitted 100x the level of noxious gases that today's car does.

The 35 cent per gallon gas was priced higher on an inflation adjusted basis than it is today.

Same for that 23 cent a loaf bread.

That new house probably was a mid-century modern without granite countertops, hardwood floors or jetted tubs. Worse yet, the plumbing fixtures might have been earth tone -- or worse, pink!

We had a war going on, in case you forgot, in Vietnam. One of the biggest years during that war for casualties.

We made a Mickey Mouse watch with our Vice President's face on it because he was such a joke. And, that's the vice president who was forced to resign for taking bribes from roadbuilders seeking contracts in the State of Maryland just a few short years later.

President Nixon went on to conspire to commit burglary and obstruct justice. He had a secret plan to end the war in Vietnam which was so secret that it took President Nixon four years to remember it!

As I said earlier, people remember things the way they want to remember them. We did land men on the moon for the first time that year. And I did sit next to the best-looking redhead in my class that fall! Aaahh, the memories!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
Dgies

Correct, which is why I said my favorite time was the 80’s, I was a baby in 69.  Doesn’t matter what decade one pulls out, someone somewhere will be outraged by something that happened.  Lots of miserable people out there.  Trade offs exist throughout, adapt or die.  So great things about today, some not so great things about today.  Same can be said of the past.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »
First two lines, airquality and environment. Air quality is extremely comparable to where is was when you were a kid. And was actually worse for millennials growing up. It is now considerably better.

Age expectation. How does that have any reflection on how difficult it is to grow up? You realistically don't feel the effects of that till the age you're approaching now.

Vaccines, are you an idiot? Outside of the psycho contingent of course we're still vaccinated, eradicated doesn't mean it's no longer a thing it means that it's statistically so low that it's eradicated.

Interest and inflation you win.

Technology is relative, the microwave and TV were no less mind blowing and revolutionary than smart phones. But you win

Housing, I'm looking at houses to flip when I return to Chicago and still looking at  nearly 200k unless I want to flip in Austin or lawndale. So don't go on about bells and whistles, the mean price has skyrocketed for general crap

Regarding all wants and needs, if you're upset about this then you have to acknowledge a few things. First, it was your generations wish to spoil your kids and general lack of understanding how to tell a kid no.

I was in high school for the original iPhone release, they were not common place till I was halfway through college, and the concept of swiping for everything another year after that. Your criticism would be better served against Gen Z as they would've been the group truly growing up with all this crap you mentioned.

Regarding crime, where did you grow up? Because I've heard my friends parents and uncles of mine from places like Naperville and Lauderdale Lakes respectively mention this. Honestly if you weren't in a place where there actually was crime then it's not relevant to you. It's like someone from those places talking about the CTA being better now, it wasn't something that effected you anyways.

I'm not claiming that we've had it hard only that you like to use a lot of arguments that don't actually have any relevance to the way you grew up and like to stereotype millennials. Finally, I think that your biggest frustrations are actually those of Gen Z which started in the mid 90s. Those are the kids that actually grew up with smart phones, fancy game systems, apps everywhere, etc. millennials had dial up, flip phones and n64.

Air quality and water quality are demonstrably better today than I was a kid. It is not close.  Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, name the city.  98% better per the EPA and NOAA. 

Vaccines, I am all for them.  But we don't do some we used to because the disease has been wiped out.  I said Polio, which was a mistake.  The polio vaccine is not done like it use to which left a bad scar on the arm, but the right example is small pox.  All of us kids were vaccinated for small pox, but I recall in the late 1970's when the public announcement was made they were stopping. The virus was gone.

Microwave and TV may have been mindblowing, but heating a Swanson's frozen dinner vs having the world at your finger tips and the power to do so much is exponentially different.

The pricing of houses has gone up, because people are willing to pay for them and because they have the assets to do so.  If they didn't, the market couldn't sustain itself.

I agree, we gave our kids too much and didn't say no. We were guilted into giving them everything and saying it would be wonderful for them. We created a generation of entitlement. 

Crime, all you have to do is look at the FBI crime reports for the 1960's and 1970's compared to today.  2010 to 2017, on average in this country 15,000 murders per year with over 320 million people  In the 1970's, the murder average was 19,000 a year with a population average of 215 million people.  Do the math.   http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2019, 11:40:53 PM »

Yes, meant small pox.  Ended in the late 1970's, it was a huge global story. No more vaccinations because the disease was eliminated.  People my age were vaccinated for the disease, but for 40 years no kids in this country have been.
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »
Air quality and water quality are demonstrably better today than I was a kid. It is not close.  Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, name the city.  98% better per the EPA and NOAA. 

Vaccines, I am all for them.  But we don't do some we used to because the disease has been wiped out.  I said Polio, which was a mistake.  The polio vaccine is not done like it use to which left a bad scar on the arm, but the right example is small pox.  All of us kids were vaccinated for small pox, but I recall in the late 1970's when the public announcement was made they were stopping. The virus was gone.

Microwave and TV may have been mindblowing, but heating a Swanson's frozen dinner vs having the world at your finger tips and the power to do so much is exponentially different.

The pricing of houses has gone up, because people are willing to pay for them and because they have the assets to do so.  If they didn't, the market couldn't sustain itself.

I agree, we gave our kids too much and didn't say no. We were guilted into giving them everything and saying it would be wonderful for them. We created a generation of entitlement. 

Crime, all you have to do is look at the FBI crime reports for the 1960's and 1970's compared to today.  2010 to 2017, on average in this country 15,000 murders per year with over 320 million people  In the 1970's, the murder average was 19,000 a year with a population average of 215 million people.  Do the math.   http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Today has just as much baring to "growing up" for millenials which ended in 96 as it does to your generation. now to be fair, the reference point is purely SO2 that I am pointing to as opposed to older more traditional pollutants. But again you fail to realize that millenials aren't "growing up" today they're adults now so you're hating the wrong generation.
https://ourworldindata.org/air-pollution

Next, re the polio vaccine, my dad and mum both were vaccinated and both lack any scars, you may want to see a doctor if you have keloid scaring or you had a poor injector. I'm sure getting that extra shot really effected your life drastically though as opposed to the millennials that do not. This is a weak argument and just another talking point for you to hate the generation.

Again, you aren't quite understanding what millenial is vs what Generation Z is. I was born in 1991, my family had one computer with dial up till I was a junior in High School. Note, no smart phone, no laptops for all, and iPads were still years away yet. Your argument about millenials having the world at their finger tips seems to be again focused more toward Gen Z.

I can do the math just fine regarding crime, but you didn't answer my question about your specifically. If you had classmates shot and killed in your high schools, like I did, or have asked a mutual friend how someones doing and found out classmates have joined gangs, or have a classmate doing time in Bali for stuffing his girlfriend's mum in a suitcase after killing her then I'll respect your claim about crime back then but otherwise crime is a subjective measure. Ask yourself if growing up where there was no crime when the country had higher rates vs growing up where there's even medium crime when there's lower rates effects which individual from respective generations more.

Again, I reiterate my point that you don't seem to grasp which generation you actually disdain. I don't claim that we had it harder (minus cost of living and loans) but only that you have given a very poor argument.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:00 AM »

Nope, that’s just your crappy parenting. Don’t project it on a whole generation because you screwed up.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
Nope, that’s just your crappy parenting. Don’t project it on a whole generation because you screwed up.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
Anybody who doesn't know how to say no to their kid is a crappy parent.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »

Again, I reiterate my point that you don't seem to grasp which generation you actually disdain. I don't claim that we had it harder (minus cost of living and loans) but only that you have given a very poor argument.

I don't disdain any generation.  I'm saying Millenials, Gen Z, have it much better than we did.  I'm not one to go back and say how great life was back in my day.  If anything, I wish I was starting out 25 years ago, or today.  The complaining about how bad it is, you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't live back then. How can someone that has lived the last 65 to 70 years not have a better grasp of those 65 to 70 years than someone who has only lived half that time?  Let's use common sense.  Yes, I am lumping Gen Z along with Millenials and others.  You do not have any idea how much better you have it.

Crime
Economy
Technology
Environment
Opportunities
Travel
Disease prevention
Healthcare improvements
No draft or wars killing or maiming our citizens with massive casualties

The list is endless.  No disdain, but have some awareness of how great you have it.  Want to know why my generation and generations older than mine shake our heads at some of the comments coming out of those that came after?  It is because we have lived life, we have experiences you don't have, and we shake our heads at how good you have it and don't realize.  No patience.  Constant whinging and blaming.  Suck it up, we'll be dead soon enough and you can unnatural carnal knowledge over the country as you accused us of doing and then the next generation that has it even better can tell you how evil you were.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
— Plato

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
lol.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
I don't disdain any generation.  I'm saying Millenials, Gen Z, have it much better than we did.  I'm not one to go back and say how great life was back in my day.  If anything, I wish I was starting out 25 years ago, or today.  The complaining about how bad it is, you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't live back then. How can someone that has lived the last 65 to 70 years not have a better grasp of those 65 to 70 years than someone who has only lived half that time?  Let's use common sense.  Yes, I am lumping Gen Z along with Millenials and others.  You do not have any idea how much better you have it.

Crime
Economy
Technology
Environment
Opportunities
Travel
Disease prevention
Healthcare improvements
No draft or wars killing or maiming our citizens with massive casualties

The list is endless.  No disdain, but have some awareness of how great you have it.  Want to know why my generation and generations older than mine shake our heads at some of the comments coming out of those that came after?  It is because we have lived life, we have experiences you don't have, and we shake our heads at how good you have it and don't realize.  No patience.  Constant whinging and blaming.  Suck it up, we'll be dead soon enough and you can unnatural carnal knowledge over the country as you accused us of doing and then the next generation that has it even better can tell you how evil you were.

You don't disdain any generation? Could have fooled me.

You're right regarding life experience. But if it is true, then so is the fact that everything you perceive about growing up in latter generations is not from experience. You've never had 200K in loans, college degrees mattered exponentially more back then than today, you've never " had to go to college" in order to be successful. These are things that you can observe but for all your observation cannot experience.

You consistently think that I am claiming my generation had it as hard or harder than yours. I am not, I am defending against some of your more outlandish claims.

At least you admit you just lump everybody together who was born after 1980. Next step is seeing how stupid it is to combine someone's childhood then with a kid who's in jr high right now.

Way to gloss over crime again mr experience. I'd like to know all about your first hand experience with it growing up because again so many of your generation are quick to mention that argument and yet never had any experience with it near them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:26:19 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
Didn't say no enough as a generation would be a better way of stating it.  As a society, we enabled a generation. 

Oh, stop.
The Millennials are and will be fine.
Just like Gen X and the Baby Boomers and every other generation needlessly overgeneralized, stereotyped and besmirched by cranks from prior generations.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:26:07 AM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
Didn't say no enough as a generation would be a better way of stating it.  As a society, we enabled a generation. 

Highly unlikely that they will be more narcissistic and self righteous than their parents. 

feedback