[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another millennial thread...  (Read 27689 times)

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
Re: Another millennial thread...
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »
It was said back up in the thread, but the greatest part of all these millennial takes are that the older generation complains about the generation that they raised.  The number 1 factor on how somebody turns out is their parents.
I work in education in a very economically diverse area, and deal with parents on a daily basis. The correlation between bad attitude students and their parents is nearly 1 to 1, and has very little to do with means.

I completely agree. The apple rarely falls far from the tree. Parents with poor morals and character tend to pass those behaviors onto their kids.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
My narrative is one of experience that stretches back far longer than yours. That is what age, wisdom and experience are.  You live in a blessed time, with relatively low crime, tremendous opportunity, full employment, never having to wait hours to fuel your car, not worrying about being drafted to go to war, technology at your finger tips that we would only dream of.

Yes, my narrative is one of being alive much longer than you have.  I was you long ago, and one day you will be me. Your experiences may be different, but as I tell my kids, you cannot believe how good you have it relative to other generations the last 50 to 75 years.  Things are pretty damn great right now and have been for quite some time. You should appreciate it because you have missed out on a lot of the crap.

1. You assume that because you are old and have experience that you are wise. False.

2. A goal of every generation should be that the next one has an easier path. Why be resentful about it? And a computer and iPhone doesn't make life "easy". No matter their circumstances, young people (because they're young, not lazy or ungrateful) will struggle.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Useta trap around bearfoot in da snow at 5 am deliverin' da fookin' Sentinel befour school in da winter and den sweat and roast my jewels loadin' 40 ft. semis bye hand all sommer long. Chit, y'all don't no watt hard work is. Kids taday are two soft and cuddled, hey?

Yeah?

Yeah.

So what?

So what? Let's dance.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
1. You assume that because you are old and have experience that you are wise. False.

2. A goal of every generation should be that the next one has an easier path. Why be resentful about it? And a computer and iPhone doesn't make life "easy". No matter their circumstances, young people (because they're young, not lazy or ungrateful) will struggle.

Very well said.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
Useta trap around bearfoot in da snow at 5 am deliverin' da fookin' Sentinel befour school in da winter and den sweat and roast my jewels loadin' 40 ft. semis bye hand all sommer long. Chit, y'all don't no watt hard work is. Kids taday are two soft and cuddled, hey?

You had it too easy, semi trailers are now 52 ft.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »

You are right on number 1, it doesn't automatically mean that you become wise because of age.  That is true. 

We disagree on number two.  Because of technology, there are young people today that are mega millionaires that never would have had that opportunity in the old days. We've always had child stars, but not self made YouTube stars of today.  Recently read an article listing 40 kids that are millionaires under the age of 20.  Or kids in college making billionaire companies up in their dorms like Zuckerberg, or Kalanick, and so many others.

And life is easier with today's technology, again we disagree.  My daughter can apply for 50 Summer jobs on her iPhone in a few hours.  Ten years ago, certain 25 years ago that would have taken a week, at least.  Driving in the car, filling out applications, going to each business.  Not any more.   She has all the world's encyclopedias in the palm of her hand, at any moment of time.  Yes, life is a lot easier with technology, if you use it right.  She doesn't have to carry cash. She always has directions on her.  Doesn't need a dime in her pocket to make a call.  I can send her money and seconds later she has it.  Do you remember the days of sending a check and it took a week to clear.  Do people on this forum understand what I just said?  It took a week when you got a check, you went to the bank and you had to wait 7 days for the money to clear.  That is not a joke.

Stop the whining.  The world is a great place to live right now. Low crime, jobs everywhere, low inflation, access to capital, technology unheard of.  Go do something with it and stop complaining!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:24:12 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
You are right on number 1, it doesn't automatically mean that you become wise because of age.  That is true. 

We disagree on number two.  Because of technology, there are young people today that are mega millionaires that never would have had that opportunity in the old days. We've always had child stars, but not self made YouTube stars of today.  Recently read an article listing 40 kids that are millionaires under the age of 20.  Or kids in college making billionaire companies up in their dorms like Zuckerberg, or Kalanick, and so many others.

And life is easier with today's technology, again we disagree.  My daughter can apply for 50 Summer jobs on her iPhone in a few hours.  Ten years ago, certain 25 years ago that would have taken a week, at least.  Driving in the car, filling out applications, going to each business.  Not any more.   She has all the world's encyclopedias in the palm of her hand, at any moment of time.  Yes, life is a lot easier with technology, if you use it right.  She doesn't have to carry cash. She always has directions on her.  Doesn't need a dime in her pocket to make a call.  I can send her money and seconds later she has it.  Do you remember the days of sending a check and it took a week to clear.  Do people on this forum understand what I just said?  It took a week when you got a check, you went to the bank and you had to wait 7 days for the money to clear.  That is not a joke.

Stop the whining.  The world is a great place to live right now. Low crime, jobs everywhere, low inflation, access to capital, technology unheard of.  Go do something with it and stop complaining!

You do realize just like your daughter 100's of other applicants can do the same thing, making it exponentially harder to get an interview, even harder to get the job itself.  So while it may have taken more manual work on the front end, your probability of it paying off was much higher.  A person today may have to apply for an exponential number of jobs compared to previous generations to actually get hired.  Technology is a blessing and a curse.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »

3 day check clearance was the longest I remembered, but maybe it was longer.

Lower crime?  Maybe where you live, but our experiment here has gone exactly how most of us here said it would....poorly.  Crime up 12%, reported today by the Times.  At my wife’s store they don’t even bother calling the cops any longer because it is such a waste of time, they won’t go through the effort. 

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-reforms-crime-20181220-story.html
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
 ::)

Lower crime?  Maybe where you live, but our experiment here has gone exactly how most of us here said it would....poorly.  Crime up 12%, reported today by the Times.  At my wife’s store they don’t even bother calling the cops any longer because it is such a waste of time, they won’t go through the effort. 

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-reforms-crime-20181220-story.html
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
Everybody my age had it rough.

Every Millennial has had it so easy.

Generalizations are fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »
You do realize just like your daughter 100's of other applicants can do the same thing, making it exponentially harder to get an interview, even harder to get the job itself.  So while it may have taken more manual work on the front end, your probability of it paying off was much higher.  A person today may have to apply for an exponential number of jobs compared to previous generations to actually get hired.  Technology is a blessing and a curse.

With the opportunities today, if you are a good candidate your ability to show that to hundreds of employers with ease is a good thing and the cream will rise to the top. 

The only curse I see, and it is real, are the workload products employers expect.  Financial models expected to be turned around in hours, not days, but the tools are there to make it happen assuming the brains behind the logic in building them are done correctly.

Millenials have it pretty damn good, the complaining needs to stop. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »

Generally speaking, lower crime than the 70's or 80's.  The article says that though crime is up out there by 12%, it is still generally low.  That is the comparison that I was making.   
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »

Crime has lowered across the country.  You continue to use your personal experience to extrapolate how things are across the country.  And you are usually mistaken.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »
With the opportunities today, if you are a good candidate your ability to show that to hundreds of employers with ease is a good thing and the cream will rise to the top. 

The only curse I see, and it is real, are the workload products employers expect.  Financial models expected to be turned around in hours, not days, but the tools are there to make it happen assuming the brains behind the logic in building them are done correctly.

Millenials have it pretty damn good, the complaining needs to stop.

All any Millennial has to do is show up and he or she will get millions of dollars thrown at them. Such an easy life!

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
Inthe medical field if you are smart, ethical, conscientious, and have an outstanding work ethic you will succeed, however, my friends in corporate America that have these same qualifies complain about getting passed over for promotions by those that are better at “playing the game”. I have never had to deal with this corporate game. Is it real or are my friends feeding me a line of bs?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
Inthe medical field if you are smart, ethical, conscientious, and have an outstanding work ethic you will succeed, however, my friends in corporate America that have these same qualifies complain about getting passed over for promotions by those that are better at “playing the game”. I have never had to deal with this corporate game. Is it real or are my friends feeding me a line of bs?

I disagree with this. Not that you don't succeed with those qualities in medicine, but there is an equal number of providers "playing the game."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »

I don't really even know what "playing the game" means.  If it means going beyond just doing your job and making connections with others at the company, creatively solving problems by thinking outside your normal duties, etc. then yes...you are going to move ahead faster.

And it's been my experience those who *think* they are doing a really good job, oftentimes are simply average.  They are working hard, getting their tasks completed, but aren't showing vision or creativity in their work. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
Millennials, like, suck.

I mean, man, they really, really suck.

Only old people know stuff because, ya know, we're really old.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »

Crime has lowered across the country.  You continue to use your personal experience to extrapolate how things are across the country.  And you are usually mistaken.

Read what I said please. I said it may be lower where he lived, but here it is not.  Could not h ave been clearer about what I wrote and the applicability to my location, not anyone else.  100% clear
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:12:33 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Millennials, like, suck.

I mean, man, they really, really suck.

Only old people know stuff because, ya know, we're really old.

Millenials don't suck.  Smart people (book smart), a little short on the common sense part but that will come. Old people don't have all the answers, but old people have lived more life and have more experiences than younger people. That is a fact.  I have great belief in millenials and their future, but they need to stop complaining.  As sure as day follows night, millenials will screw over (to use their complaint) the generations that follow theirs.  The patience people have is very short now.  Promote me now. Give me my raise now. I want 50 days off vacation, and work from home, and and and and and.  Good luck with that.
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
Millenials don't suck.  Smart people (book smart), a little short on the common sense part but that will come. Old people don't have all the answers, but old people have lived more life and have more experiences than younger people. That is a fact.  I have great belief in millenials and their future, but they need to stop complaining.  As sure as day follows night, millenials will screw over (to use their complaint) the generations that follow theirs.  The patience people have is very short now.  Promote me now. Give me my raise now. I want 50 days off vacation, and work from home, and and and and and.  Good luck with that.

If only they had your wisdom ... they might even be able to spell Millennials.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »

It's going to vary company to company but in my experience the higher someone climbs in Fortune 500 companies the better they are at managing up and much less likely to manage down.

Corporate America hasn't really figured out how to resolve the conflict between necessary hierarchy and the desire to be more egalitarian with the work force.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »

WE ARE SOUNDING LIKE OUR PARENTS!!!

OK, all you boomers out there. We were just as obnoxious to the past generation. To some degree, we're getting our comeupance for what we did to the generation before us. Remember boomers, "Don't trust anyone over 30?" It wasn't a Millennial who said that.

The fact is, when you're young you're impatient. We all came out of college filled with knowledge and confident we can conquer the world. We knew better, or so we thought. The Millennials are us on steroids. They have more and better technology than most of us boomers ever dreamed of. They have access to information in seconds that it took weeks for us to fully gather and, to their credit, their decisions are better informed.

What they don't have, in many cases, is life lessons associated with everything from projects or investments gone bad to lost jobs or mergers and acquisitions. Too many do not understand that there is a view other than their own and that multiple constituencies within a firm can have accurate but conflicting views based on multiple perspectices to the same problem.

They'll get there and when they do, look out. The best of them will be far better leaders than our generation ever was.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2018, 04:11:26 PM »

Started and still in the pharma field. Similar career trajectory with colleague and friend for a few years. Then the mergers come. Half the original company laid off. Business my job is in gets sold off to new company. Friend perseveres and all who remained are given considerable title and pay bumps. His boss leaves and they have no alternative in the chaotic merger structure and immediately promote him again. I myself persevere with new company at a pace I would deem acceptable but lagging far behind this friend. Right place right time is a thing in all business for sure. Sometimes things work out that way, especially if you do good work. (Also seen daughter of cfo hired out of college as a senior hr manager but that’s a different story)

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
WE ARE SOUNDING LIKE OUR PARENTS!!!

OK, all you boomers out there. We were just as obnoxious to the past generation. To some degree, we're getting our comeupance for what we did to the generation before us. Remember boomers, "Don't trust anyone over 30?" It wasn't a Millennial who said that.

The fact is, when you're young you're impatient. We all came out of college filled with knowledge and confident we can conquer the world. We knew better, or so we thought. The Millennials are us on steroids. They have more and better technology than most of us boomers ever dreamed of. They have access to information in seconds that it took weeks for us to fully gather and, to their credit, their decisions are better informed.

What they don't have, in many cases, is life lessons associated with everything from projects or investments gone bad to lost jobs or mergers and acquisitions. Too many do not understand that there is a view other than their own and that multiple constituencies within a firm can have accurate but conflicting views based on multiple perspectices to the same problem.

They'll get there and when they do, look out. The best of them will be far better leaders than our generation ever was.

Yes, yes, and yes.  The worst of them, hopefully do not crash and burn because they do have all these benefits we never had, but that doesn't guarantee success.
— Plato