Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Expectations"  (Read 3419 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
"Expectations"
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
I keep reading around this forum that we shouldn't panic because we "expected" to lose to IU and Kansas.  And some posters only "expect" to go 3-3 in our non-cupcake non-con. And we only "expect" to get in as a bubble.  Can we stop setting these low expectations and then being happy when we don't exceed them or barely meet them?  Wouldn't it be fun to - for once under Wojo - exceed expectations?  Aside from a few one-off games (Nova court storm, a couple Seton Hall, @Wisconsin), this team has not ever exceeded the lowest expectations or even sometimes met the lowest expectations on the whole over Wojo's five year tenure.

Can we please stop setting these baby step expectations?  Each year that we set them is another year further this program strays from its long-standing pedigree.  I expect to beat Indiana when we are ranked (UT-Arlington held their own at Assembly Hall).  I expect to give Kansas a game and not fold over and die at the first sign of adversity.  I expect to beat Louisville tonight, and I expect to be in the tournament 4 out of 5 years consistently.

tower912

• All American
Re: "Expectations"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
My expectations are 22-24 wins, top 3 in the Big East, 5 seed in the tourney.  Nothing that happened so far has fundamentally changed those.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
Ditto.

And what exactly does setting higher expectations on a message board fundamentally accomplish?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
I keep reading around this forum that we shouldn't panic because we "expected" to lose to IU and Kansas.  And some posters only "expect" to go 3-3 in our non-cupcake non-con. And we only "expect" to get in as a bubble.  Can we stop setting these low expectations and then being happy when we don't exceed them or barely meet them?  Wouldn't it be fun to - for once under Wojo - exceed expectations?  Aside from a few one-off games (Nova court storm, a couple Seton Hall, @Wisconsin), this team has not ever exceeded the lowest expectations or even sometimes met the lowest expectations on the whole over Wojo's five year tenure.

Can we please stop setting these baby step expectations?  Each year that we set them is another year further this program strays from its long-standing pedigree.  I expect to beat Indiana when we are ranked (UT-Arlington held their own at Assembly Hall).  I expect to give Kansas a game and not fold over and die at the first sign of adversity.  I expect to beat Louisville tonight, and I expect to be in the tournament 4 out of 5 years consistently.

Indiana will beat most teams at their place this year.  Kansas will beat most teams they play this year, no matter where it is played.  Pedigree or not, that is what will happen.  When we were at the top of our game, we haven't done much against Indiana.  We were 2-7 all time coming in.  One of our wins with Dwyane Wade.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
Ditto.

And what exactly does setting higher expectations on a message board fundamentally accomplish?
In a vaccuum, I don't think this forum has any pull.  But I think Scoop is a decent barometer for the general sentiment of the fanbase.  If the fanbase pulls together and disapproves of Wojo via consensus or near-consensus, the University is more likely to take action.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »
In a vaccuum, I don't think this forum has any pull. But I think Scoop is a decent barometer for the general sentiment of the fanbase.  If the fanbase pulls together and disapproves of Wojo via consensus or near-consensus, the University is more likely to take action.

Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
In a vaccuum, I don't think this forum has any pull.  But I think Scoop is a decent barometer for the general sentiment of the fanbase.  If the fanbase pulls together and disapproves of Wojo via consensus or near-consensus, the University is more likely to take action.

Scoop is the QAnon believing uncle you had Thanksgiving dinner with yesterday.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Yeah.... Scoop is a microcosm of the most fanatical of the damage,  not the general fan base. And no,  scoop has no power.... Other than the invisible hand of the underboard
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
Also,  I have seen no one with expectations that we should be a bubble team this season. I think all expect more
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
Not to mention the low expectations we as a fan forum put out into the universe are felt by the squad and causes them to play down to our lowered expectations amiright?
No Finish Line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
Itz gonna take influential alums, hoo have Dr. Lovell's cell number, ta ring him up at his crib and tell 'im how pissed wee Scoopers are befour da BOT duz nothin'. Sew, watt iz Ma and Pa waitin' on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »

Not true, most here were expecting and still expect NCAA bid not bubble.
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 05:47:10 PM »
Yeah.... Scoop is a microcosm of the most fanatical of the damage,  not the general fan base. And no,  scoop has no power.... Other than the invisible hand of the underboard

Here, here. Underboard rules.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
My expectations are 22-24 wins, top 3 in the Big East, 5 seed in the tourney.  Nothing that happened so far has fundamentally changed those.

Bump.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
Those expectations are right in line with my own.  I see us being probably top 25 in ap poll, probably like 23rd.   Regular and BET record of 24-9, just missing BE reg season title and bowing out in our second game of the BET in a horribly called / disjointed game.  Followed up by a sweet 16 ncaa finish.

Wow Tower, were our predictions good or what??

I mean... we're two pretty impressive MU fans.  Really know our stuff!    ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 08:52:20 AM »
Bump.

I bow to your Nostradamusness!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
Wow Tower, were our predictions good or what??

I mean... we're two pretty impressive MU fans.  Really know our stuff!    ::)
In Ners 'Will MU win a tournament game' thread, I predicted a 5/12 upset.      Sorry.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
In Ners 'Will MU win a tournament game' thread, I predicted a 5/12 upset.      Sorry.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20:15 AM »

1: that's really disappointing.   But 2: I'm not sure you noticed, but I made up my "prediction" about the season just now.    ;D

So you win either way.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
Bump.

So you were the one paying them off for the 5 game slide?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »

Worth it for the Scoop fame

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »

You got me.    Or, I only bump the good predictions.