[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 36374 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2022, 08:14:02 AM »
Assuming you mean that in a historical context.   Yeah, no.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
They're way before my time but I'm listening to Jethro Tull?  This band and their frontman are absolutely phenomenal.  Obviously there were great 70's bands and singer/songwriters but I'm absolutely blown away by these guys.

Congrats on the discovery (or re-discovery) for one of the great bands of the 1970s and one of the truly unique artists ever in Ian Anderson.

Locomotive Breath ... Bungle in the Jungle ... A New Day Yesterday ... Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die ... Cross-Eyed Mary ... Heavy Horses ... Sweet Dreams ... the incredible Thick as a Brick ... and of course the iconic Aqualung.

Thick as a Brick is a favorite of my 30-something son, whose passion is rock from all eras. A favorite of his dad's too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
Recent addictions are Nathaniel Rateliff, Florence and the Machine, Of Monsters and Men

Great choices.  About a decade ago, I made the switch to 88.9 here in Milwaukee and discovered so many great artists.  Lots of incredible talent out there
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2022, 08:35:02 AM »
They're way before my time but I'm listening to Jethro Tull?  This band and their frontman are absolutely phenomenal.  Obviously there were great 70's bands and singer/songwriters but I'm absolutely blown away by these guys.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Jethro Tull and the extremely unique style.  Their live performances are extremely different and you can fine some of their very early performances on Youtube.  The vast majority of their hit songs were in the late 1960's.

Ian Anderson provides a performance style like no other and the utilization of his flute in rock songs is outstanding.  Anderson is a very, very smart man and please go on the internet and find his interview with Dan Rather a few years ago.  It was on the show "The Big Interview",on AXSTV, where Dan Rather interview rock stars.  The interview was very compelling and one of the best I have seen on that show.

The guitar player in Tull was Martin Barre, who was very underrated, but known to guitar players and seen as an influence by up and coming players in the 1970's. His solo play in Aqualung is always in the Top 50 solos of all-time. 

I have Tull on a playlist and in order:

Aqualung
Locomotive Breath
Hymn 43
Crossed Eyed Mary
Living in the Past
Bungle in the Jungle

Enjoy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2022, 08:36:50 AM »
I'm not one of those that automatically hates "pop" music, but its slim pickings for pop. That being said, I do like George Ezra, especially the song Barcelona.

Ezra is outstanding as are the three that Tower listed. Also listening to a lot of Son Volt and Birds of Chicago

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2022, 08:41:34 AM »
Lots of rumors that Dead and Company was done after 2022 (cough Rolling Stone cough) but they’ve already announced some 2023 shows!

The music never stops!!!
Bring back FFP!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2022, 09:09:41 AM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed Jethro Tull and the extremely unique style.  Their live performances are extremely different and you can fine some of their very early performances on Youtube.  The vast majority of their hit songs were in the late 1960's.

Ian Anderson provides a performance style like no other and the utilization of his flute in rock songs is outstanding.  Anderson is a very, very smart man and please go on the internet and find his interview with Dan Rather a few years ago.  It was on the show "The Big Interview",on AXSTV, where Dan Rather interview rock stars.  The interview was very compelling and one of the best I have seen on that show.

The guitar player in Tull was Martin Barre, who was very underrated, but known to guitar players and seen as an influence by up and coming players in the 1970's. His solo play in Aqualung is always in the Top 50 solos of all-time. 

Aqualung
Locomotive Breath
Hymn 43
Crossed Eyed Mary
Living in the Past
Bungle in the Jungle

Enjoy.

Ty nyg.  Do we know why they are NOT in the Rock and Roll HOF?  I'm absolutely floored by Heavy Horses.  I've now listened to it 10 times since last night.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
They’re unique. Not really my thing. (I mean, a flute?)  But I get the allure.

Why are you disparaging flutists or flautists?  Totally inexcusable Fluffy.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »
Ty nyg.  Do we know why they are NOT in the Rock and Roll HOF?  I'm absolutely floored by Heavy Horses.  I've now listened to it 10 times since last night.

There are numerous bands/artists who are not in the HOF and there are many who are in, that should not be in.  Look at Pat Benatar who should have made it years ago, but did not until this year.  That's a whole new topic.

Enjoy the Tull experience. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2022, 09:17:00 AM »
There are numerous bands/artists who are not in the HOF and there are many who are in, that should not be in.  Look at Pat Benatar who should have made it years ago, but did not until this year.  That's a whole new topic.

Point well taken.  I'm super impressed by the musicianship of the band and of course Anderson's overall talents. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2022, 09:20:38 AM »
Why are you disparaging flutists or flautists?  Totally inexcusable Fluffy.

He’s not.  He said it’s not his thing when it comes to rock and he’s not alone.  I’m agnostic on Jethro Till but love the Moody Blues.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »

Little Feat!!!
Bring back FFP!!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2022, 09:47:03 AM »
Yeah, I have learned long ago that music is a highly individualized taste. So if you like it, cool. I may not, but I am sure I have my thing that you don't care for either. And all of that is OK.

I have about 12 SXM stations that I constantly run through in my car.  They range from pop to classic rock to soft rock...  I rarely settle on one station - unless I am with my wife who doesn't like me jumping around.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Yeah, I have learned long ago that music is a highly individualized taste. So if you like it, cool. I may not, but I am sure I have my thing that you don't care for either. And all of that is OK.

I have about 12 SXM stations that I constantly run through in my car.  They range from pop to classic rock to soft rock...  I rarely settle on one station - unless I am with my wife who doesn't like me jumping around.

28, 34-41, 7-12, 45, 52, 173 (canada!), and 301.

I do float around some of the others when I'm bored as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2022, 11:40:20 AM »

Aqualung
Locomotive Breath
Hymn 43
Crossed Eyed Mary
Living in the Past
Bungle in the Jungle

Enjoy.

Bungle in the Jungle?
To each his own but I'd place My God on any Tull list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WSulenOUb0

Little Feat!!!
8-)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »

Shockin' wee differ in da chit listened two. No Sinatra, Ella, or Nat King Cole on your Victrola, hey?

#freeziggy2022toinfinity
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2022, 12:16:55 PM »

Shockin' wee differ in da chit listened two. No Sinatra, Ella, or Nat King Cole on your Victrola, hey?

#freeziggy2022toinfinity

They're all great, which channel are they on?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2022, 12:46:26 PM »
Point well taken.  I'm super impressed by the musicianship of the band and of course Anderson's overall talents.

In the Age of TikTok and Google shorts, this period's genre was dominated by classic jams, of which Tull was one of many. Marathon jam songs lasting 20+ minutes with one song taking up half and album were common and are considered classics today. It's a great period to discover.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2022, 01:02:17 PM »
In the Age of TikTok and Google shorts, this period's genre was dominated by classic jams, of which Tull was one of many. Marathon jam songs lasting 20+ minutes with one song taking up half and album were common and are considered classics today. It's a great period to discover.

The 22 minute live version of "Whippin' Post" on Live at Fillmore East...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2022, 03:15:23 PM »
Ezra is outstanding as are the three that Tower listed. Also listening to a lot of Son Volt and Birds of Chicago

Big fan of Birds of Chicago. Currently wearing out The Happy Fits, Lawrence, also Ruston Kelly, and Ceramic Animals (saw them both open at Red Rocks last month), Valerie June, Caamp, and some old school hip hop. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2022, 03:32:57 PM »
Big fan of Birds of Chicago. Currently wearing out The Happy Fits, Lawrence, also Ruston Kelly, and Ceramic Animals (saw them both open at Red Rocks last month), Valerie June, Caamp, and some old school hip hop.

Valerie June is fantastic

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2022, 04:01:07 PM »

My Wife does 2 and 303.  I drive mostly to 51-53 (51 used to be INCREDIBLE, now its basically just a different genre top 40), but otherwise bounce around 36, 45, 46, and when im feeling adventurous, 163.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed Jethro Tull and the extremely unique style.  Their live performances are extremely different

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a huge Tull fan. But I saw them live twice (both at Poplar Creek) and it was a bit too damn much jammin' for my taste. As much as I appreciate Ian Anderson's talent, listening to him play the flute for 15 minutes straight was a little much.

But I'll enjoy the songs on the playlist you mentioned, and many more, until I'm not too young to die!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2022, 10:37:14 PM »
Valerie June is fantastic

Saw her recently at a little three song set at 88.9 studio. She is indeed fantastic.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2022, 11:19:27 PM »
Jethro Tull?  I think think Dire Straits said it best in Sultans of Swing:

"They don't give a damn about any FLUTE playing band
It ain't what they call Rock and Roll"!