[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 132024 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #1075 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »
Also signing Preston Smith from the Redskins.

Perry definitely gone, Clay only sticking around if he moves inside.

Also opens up the first round for them a bit more.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:36:11 AM by CreightonWarrior »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: March 12, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Also signing Preston Smith from the Redskins.

Perry definitely gone, Clay only sticking around if he moves inside.

Also opens up the first round for them a bit more.

I'm thinking they draft another WR in the first round.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: March 12, 2019, 01:08:25 PM »
Interested in seeing the numbers for the Packers players, especially Amos. Don't like the signing as much as I did the prospect of signing Fuller last year, but Amos has been a rock back there for the Bears .

Update: It's been real, Nick Perry

Amos had an up/down career with the Bears. A few times, he lost his starting job, was once on the verge of getting cut, but turned around and had a solid 2018 season. Be interesting to see if his uptick was because of the Bears defense around him or he just matured and became a better player. At that money, I'm not worried about his loss for the Bears, but at the same time, I think if he can build off his 2018 campaign, he'll be solid/above average for the Pack.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: March 12, 2019, 02:01:42 PM »
The one thing I'll say is that it's not Teddy's Green Bay Packers anymore.  4 guys today alone?  Teddy didn't get 4 in his entire tenure.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: March 12, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
I don't see how Z. Smith lives up to 16.5M AAV (hold to see guarantee breakdowns), but if the Smiths are healthy, that fact alone makes for immediate improvement over Matthews and Perry for pretty much the same money.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1080 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
I'm thinking they draft another WR in the first round.

You hit on the biggest upside of these signings.

It frees them up to draft anyone now rather than having to focus on an edge rusher. Another one would be fine if a guy they like is there at 12, but it gives them the option to go WR, OL, or TE.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1081 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:37 PM »
Odell to the Browns
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: March 12, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
Amazing the amount of dead cap space teams are willing to live with on traded wideouts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: March 12, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »
Odell to the Browns

Dorsey is an animal.  What a trade.  A 1st and 3rd and a still unproven DB for a top 3 WR entering his prime? 

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, Landry, OBJ and Njoku?  Goodness thats a potentially wicked powerful offense.

And you add Vernon and Richardson to a pretty solid defense?  Browns are gonna be a top 4 team in the AFC next year

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
Odell to the Browns

Both Odell and Landry are good receivers, but are headcases.  Thats why Miami and Giants dumped them, just not worth the negative aspect.  Just wait until one of them starts saying they are not getting enough targets and then the fun begins.

But the defensive pickups they did are really, really good and they will cause some problems in that division.   

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: March 12, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
BROWNS!   ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:08 PM »
Dorsey is an animal.  What a trade.  A 1st and 3rd and a still unproven DB for a top 3 WR entering his prime? 

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, Landry, OBJ and Njoku?  Goodness thats a potentially wicked powerful offense.

And you add Vernon and Richardson to a pretty solid defense?  Browns are gonna be a top 4 team in the AFC next year

The Browns are incurring some not insignificant risk here and giving up a lot for receiver. OBJ has some off-field issues and has missed 16 games over the past two seasons with a variety of leg injuries.

Obviously he's younger than AB, but when you compare what Oakland gave up for an arguably better (and definitely healthier and more productive) player, hard to say Cleveland didn't pay a hefty price.
And remember, teams don't trade elite players entering their prime just for giggles. Gettleman clearly sees something here the rest of us might not. That doesn't make him right  - it may very well end up an idiotic move - but I I don't think he's dumping his second best player without reason.

Nice to see the Browns going for it after so many years of misery, but this is not necessarily a slam dunk.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:53:54 PM by Pakuni »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: March 12, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
Amos had an up/down career with the Bears. A few times, he lost his starting job, was once on the verge of getting cut, but turned around and had a solid 2018 season. Be interesting to see if his uptick was because of the Bears defense around him or he just matured and became a better player. At that money, I'm not worried about his loss for the Bears, but at the same time, I think if he can build off his 2018 campaign, he'll be solid/above average for the Pack.

Honestly, I don't think there will be that much of a drop off from Amos to Deon Bush. Maybe I'm wrong, but that front seven can hide coverage issues in the back. Amos was solid, but he wasn't exactly a playmaker.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »
The Browns are incurring some not insignificant risk here and giving up a lot for receiver. OBJ has some off-field issues and has missed 16 games over the past two seasons with a variety of leg injuries.

Obviously he's younger than AB, but when you compare what Oakland gave up for an arguably better (and definitely healthier and more productive) player, hard to say Cleveland didn't pay a hefty price.
And remember, teams don't trade elite players entering their prime just for giggles. Gettleman clearly sees something here the rest of us might not. That doesn't make him right  - it may very well end up an idiotic move - but I I don't think he's dumping his second best player without reason.

Nice to see the Browns going for it after so many years of misery, but this is not necessarily a slam dunk.

The injury concerns are totally valid, but I think OBJ has a lot to gain by getting out of the NY media light.  I think the Giants realize that to an extent and realize that the fit just wouldn't be worth it moving forward and thats why they made the move.  Sometimes players just need a change of scenery and I think OBJ made some mistakes as a young player that he finds it hard to escape, especially on faltering teams in a brutal media market.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: March 12, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »

I think OBJ's and Landry's relationship is going to go a long way to mitigate their eccentricity.  Big time WR's being unique personalities is a tale as old as time, but they're tight and I don't think it'll bother them as much to lose targets to each other. Plus I think they'll like Baker. At any rate, Cleveland's never had this much swag.

The problem for NYG isn't just that they traded OBJ, its that it doesn't look like they have a plan. They signed OBJ to a deal with a big signing bonus, then immediately traded him thereby incurring a cap hit of most of that signing bonus. They got a decent enough haul for him, but I don't think it was above market. They have a great young RB but no QB, and a very spotty roster.  Barkley is great, but it seems weird to grab a skill position at #2 last year, then trade OBJ this year without a QB plan. If they admitted to rebuild mode, trading down, addressing the lines, defense, and depth would have been the way to go.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

OBJ is better than AB.  Super bowl.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »

Depends how one defines better.
If you're considering minor things like catches, yards, touchdowns. Pro Bowls, All Pro teams, catch rate, etc., Brown us better.
One-handed catches? OBJ for sure.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: March 12, 2019, 11:53:57 PM »

Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
Depends how one defines better.
If you're considering minor things like catches, yards, touchdowns. Pro Bowls, All Pro teams, catch rate, etc., Brown us better.
One-handed catches? OBJ for sure.

OBJ is in his prime.  AB is exiting his prime.

OBJ on the Browns will be better than AB on the Raiders!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1094 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
OBJ is in his prime.  AB is exiting his prime.

OBJ on the Browns will be better than AB on the Raiders!

Need a quarterback to get him the ball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: March 13, 2019, 01:41:43 PM »

Need a quarterback to get him the ball.

Baker Mayfield.

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Baker Mayfield.

I’m fully aware who the Browns quarterback is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: March 13, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »
I’m fully aware who the Browns quarterback is.

Oh we’re gonna do the whole “Baker Mayfield, despite being a Heisman winner and winning multiple awards as a rookie despite beginning the year being jerked around by an inept HC and with huge expectations, isn’t a good QB” implication? You’re fun.

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
Oh we’re gonna do the whole “Baker Mayfield, despite being a Heisman winner and winning multiple awards as a rookie despite beginning the year being jerked around by an inept HC and with huge expectations, isn’t a good QB” implication? You’re fun.

He is an unproven quarterback. Plenty of quarterbacks don’t take that next step. I’m hardly saying he won’t or he can’t.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: March 13, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »

What about the Heisman Trophy means that someone is or will be a good NFL QB? LI have a toothachert, Bradford, Tebow, Manziel, Griffin, Winston, Crouch, Weinke, and Wuerffel are curious.

I "think" Baker will be a good QB. But we will see what happens when the league adjusts to him this year.