[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Y’all got Bezos’ed  (Read 20354 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Y’all got Bezos’ed
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
Oh good, ChicosBothSides has weighed in with his loaded "just askin'" shtick.  Might as well lock the thread now.

You have been wrong since the start, don't stop now.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
Money that goes to the government in part is removed.  Used to pay for things like interest on the debt.  Not all of it, not even most of it, but it isn't always spent back into the economy.

Who receives that interest and what is done with it?
(Hint: Banks, investors, pension systems, the Treasury, etc., which recirculate it back into the economy).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »
I haven't been following this thread, but I assume this is relevant:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rTb3GR6yrQI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rTb3GR6yrQI</a>

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
Who receives that interest and what is done with it?
(Hint: Banks, investors, pension systems, the Treasury, etc., which recirculate it back into the economy).

Some of which are stagnate, some are which are put back into the economy.  There is also the psychology of consumer spending.  Consumers drive a significant chunk of the economy, which was really the purpose of my original question.  Taxes can be a suppressor to spend money.  See taxes on cigarettes as an example.  Taxes are usually a good thing, if not over done.  If a consumer feels they are being squeezed too much, they tighten their belt, and main street may suffer even if the money in the background is doing what you say it does all the time. 

The influx of those dollars into the economy are different.  Consumer spending vs government, business spending is different, would you not agree?
— Plato

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
Both of my kids grew up in the greater Chicago area, and both wanted to stay in Milwaukee after graduation. My daughter managed to do it; my son couldn't for career reasons and is moving to the Left Coast.

My daughter loves the fact that her apartment is half of what it would cost in a similar Chicago neighborhood. She can get anywhere she wants in less than a half hour, and she has easy access to great restaurants, cultural events and pro sports. 

Oh, yeah, and Marquette basketball.
It is a great when your kids have things figured out at a young age. She is going to be very successful at whatever she does. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
Some of which are stagnate, some are which are put back into the economy.  There is also the psychology of consumer spending.  Consumers drive a significant chunk of the economy, which was really the purpose of my original question.  Taxes can be a suppressor to spend money.  See taxes on cigarettes as an example.  Taxes are usually a good thing, if not over done.  If a consumer feels they are being squeezed too much, they tighten their belt, and main street may suffer even if the money in the background is doing what you say it does all the time. 

The influx of those dollars into the economy are different.  Consumer spending vs government, business spending is different, would you not agree?

ChicosBothSides is suffering a remission, and ChicosSupplySide is resurgent.  Can't help yourself, I know.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:08 AM »

This kind of goalpost shifting is might reminiscent of another guy who used to post around these parts.
Anyhow ...
1. All of which goes back into the economy. America's debt holders don't take their interest payments in cash, stuff it in mason jars and bury it in their backyards. They reinvest it. Or make it available to other borrowers. Or, in the case of institutional investors like pensions, pay off their own obligations. The money, as you said, is not removed from the economy.
2. Yes. consumers drive a significant chunk of the economy. So does the government. What's your point?
3. No, the influx of dollars from consumers, government or business is not different. A dollar is a dollar. A dollar paid a hospital from Medicare is no different than one from an insurance company, which is no different than one from an individual's checkbook. The only difference is in efficiency. The dollar is more efficiently spent going directly from patient to doctor than through the entire Medicare system first. But there are obvious reasons why that's not possible for a massive percentage of our seniors.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
A dollar paid a hospital from Medicare is no different than one from an insurance company, which is no different than one from an individual's checkbook. The only difference is in efficiency. The dollar is more efficiently spent going directly from patient to doctor than through the entire Medicare system first. But there are obvious reasons why that's not possible for a massive percentage of our seniors.

Exactly.  Which is both the argument for and against privatization. 

Take away the direct payment for a moment, a dollar via private insurance vs. a dollar via Medicare both have the same efficiency hurdle in that there's a cost to administer.  But the Medicare dollar should be more efficient because of a) scale and b) lack of a scrape (i.e. profit to the administrator).  In simple terms - actual costs being equal - Medicare should be more efficient than private insurance, simply because there's no one taking a profit.

Unfortunately, our wonderful bureaucrats have bastardized the process such that government has been less efficient than the private sector in certain areas, which has opened the door to privatization which has a tendency to be less efficient than the government once entrenched.  But the fact remains that in most instances, gov't can be more efficient than the private sector.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 11:17:29 AM »
Amazon tells New York, we're scrapping it.  No more HQ2 in New York. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-cancels-new-york-hq2-2019-2

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:39 AM »
Amazon tells New York, we're scrapping it.  No more HQ2 in New York. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-cancels-new-york-hq2-2019-2

I believe that makes metro DC the undisputed winner, does it not?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55388.msg981500#msg981500

Not sure if there's a statute of limitations here, but it looks like I'm going to be retroactively collecting on a few lunch bets around the office from people who told me "You didn't say DC and NYC... you lose." 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:15 AM »
Is that like saying you got FoxConn'ed?    Which works on so many levels.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55388.msg981500#msg981500

Not sure if there's a statute of limitations here, but it looks like I'm going to be retroactively collecting on a few lunch bets around the office from people who told me "You didn't say DC and NYC... you lose."

Sure looks like some local and state officials eating their own.  The backlash will be interesting to watch.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
Amazon looks petty in this.

So do the politicians. 
— Plato

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
So the thinking here is that this is a win cause that $3B should have went to fund education and the subway...yet they weren't doing that before Amazon came along anyways.  And LOL thinking subsidies are just a bag of money they reach into that can now be reached into and just handed off to something else.

I don't know if Amazon was the right play for NYC all along, or if NY would have done well with incremental tax revenue.  But I do know that the people celebrating this as a victory over evil capitalism and an evil billionaire have little idea how everything works and their joy is more punitive than it is progressive and strategic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »
So the thinking here is that this is a win cause that $3B should have went to fund education and the subway...yet they weren't doing that before Amazon came along anyways.  And LOL thinking subsidies are just a bag of money they reach into that can now be reached into and just handed off to something else.

I don't know if Amazon was the right play for NYC all along, or if NY would have done well with incremental tax revenue.  But I do know that the people celebrating this as a victory over evil capitalism and an evil billionaire have little idea how everything works and their joy is more punitive than it is progressive and strategic.

Eating their own

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »

Noooottt  entirely.

Metro Nashville came out very well and could well pick up  incremental benefit from no HQ2 in Long Island City, Queens.

I'm sure Metro Mayor David Briley is sending his Valentine's Day roses to AOC!!!!   

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
It's hilarious to me how rabid capitalists on here simultaneously want the government (federal/state/local) to be in the business of choosing which companies to artificially prop up. Don't let inherently contradictory beliefs stand in your way...

Bezos can afford to build the next Amazon base on the moon. He doesn't need help. Perhaps there are more important causes to focus on.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
They're going to Stamford, CT.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »

That would be crazy if true.  A shot in the arm we need right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
It's hilarious to me how rabid capitalists on here simultaneously want the government (federal/state/local) to be in the business of choosing which companies to artificially prop up. Don't let inherently contradictory beliefs stand in your way...

Bezos can afford to build the next Amazon base on the moon. He doesn't need help. Perhaps there are more important causes to focus on.

Yep. I know states have gotten into the habit of throwing cash at wealthy corporations, but it seems ill-advised....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »

At this point I'm just ready to invest in water trains so in 10 year we can take a train to Hawaii and Europe...that's where it's at.  Solar powered water train preferably.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »

That’s a big win for them after the Dunder Mifflin branch closed a number of years ago.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
At this point I'm just ready to invest in water trains so in 10 year we can take a train to Hawaii and Europe...that's where it's at.  Solar powered water train preferably.
"The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty-a fad." - Advice from a president of the Michigan Savings Bank to Henry Ford's lawyer Horace Rackham.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society.

"[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." - Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
Yep. I know states have gotten into the habit of throwing cash at wealthy corporations, but it seems ill-advised....

Corporate welfare at its finest. Brought to you by the people who hate welfare - for poor people.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
"The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty-a fad." - Advice from a president of the Michigan Savings Bank to Henry Ford's lawyer Horace Rackham.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society.

"[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." - Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox.

All fair, so you think high speed/maglev type rail systems will solve our long range transit issue? I get the argument that a high speed train can be run off of a new electric grid that is based on "sustainable" generation, but I don't see how it actually makes long range transit "better".
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback