[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 111528 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #650 on: February 18, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
As of right now, most brackets have Seton Hall in (and surprisingly fairly comfortably so) and Butler out.

Looks like StJ would have to totally fall apart to screw it up for themselves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #651 on: February 18, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
Big East NET Rankings as of games of February 17. Butler is going to be an interesting case for the committee.
New Old
19   20   Marquette   
20   19   Villanova   
46   49   St. John's (NY)   
49   54   Butler   
60   61   Seton Hall   
63   59   Creighton   
79   79   Georgetown   
85   74   Providence   
95   104   Xavier   
100   91   DePaul

Indeed.

As of the update this morning, they went from first four out to just barely in on Bracketmatrix.  When I say barely... I mean... like, you can't get it any closer.  Only one extra bracket projection put them there and 4 schools on the outside of the bubble have better average seeding.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #652 on: February 18, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
I agree. St. John's is the ultimate enigma.   3-1 against Marquette and Villanova, 4-5 against the rest of the Big East.

Yep, they are so inconsistent. Sure Duke can blow out people but no way MU loses by 30 to them...but StJ was awful...Ponds totally shutdown.

Yet, like you said, they tortured us and Nova. Still smarting over that loss (Sam's last heave was so close! :( ).

I think StJohns gets in, gets a 12 or 13 and beats someone good before flaming out.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #653 on: February 18, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Yep, they are so inconsistent. Sure Duke can blow out people but no way MU loses by 30 to them...but StJ was awful...Ponds totally shutdown.

Yet, like you said, they tortured us and Nova. Still smarting over that loss (Sam's last heave was so close! :( ).

I think StJohns gets in, gets a 12 or 13 and beats someone good before flaming out.

That ain't gonna happen.  13 is going to be from a lower tier conference and 12 is only going to happen if they total bomb going the rest of the way.   They'll be 9/10 I'm sure. Maybe 11 if they lose more than expected of their remaining games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #654 on: February 18, 2019, 02:00:14 PM »
SJU is probably sitting on about the 9 line today. They aren't a lock yet but using the mantra that you need 68, as of today a no brainer. The Hall would certainly be IN today too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #655 on: February 18, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
SJU is probably sitting on about the 9 line today. They aren't a lock yet but using the mantra that you need 68, as of today a no brainer. The Hall would certainly be IN today too.

I have the Johnnies at the top of the 8-line and Seton Hall in the Last Four Byes. Agreed that neither are locks, but they have both accumulated some quality wins that few teams on the bubble can match.

The biggest problem for St. John's is that they can only really hurt their profile from here on out. They play Providence & DePaul away (both beat them in NYC), play Xavier twice, and the only theoretically challenging game left is Seton Hall at home. With how they've been this year, this is an interesting closing stretch because they tend to win the games they are supposed to lose and lose the games they are supposed to win. I think they'll be okay, on paper they should win out, but they are nothing if not unpredictable (or predictable in a bad way).

Right now, 4 bids seems likely and Butler sneaking in is certainly possible. They have a relatively favorable finish though a lack of high quality wins could hurt them when it comes to resume comparisons. With how weak this bubble is, though, 9-9 may be enough for them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #656 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
I have the Johnnies at the top of the 8-line and Seton Hall in the Last Four Byes. Agreed that neither are locks, but they have both accumulated some quality wins that few teams on the bubble can match.

The biggest problem for St. John's is that they can only really hurt their profile from here on out. They play Providence & DePaul away (both beat them in NYC), play Xavier twice, and the only theoretically challenging game left is Seton Hall at home. With how they've been this year, this is an interesting closing stretch because they tend to win the games they are supposed to lose and lose the games they are supposed to win. I think they'll be okay, on paper they should win out, but they are nothing if not unpredictable (or predictable in a bad way).

Right now, 4 bids seems likely and Butler sneaking in is certainly possible. They have a relatively favorable finish though a lack of high quality wins could hurt them when it comes to resume comparisons. With how weak this bubble is, though, 9-9 may be enough for them.

That is... until Creighton's offense gets super hot and they stop blowing their late leads, thus sweeping the BET and giving the BE 6 bids!   8-)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #657 on: February 18, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
That is... until Creighton's offense gets super hot and they stop blowing their late leads, thus sweeping the BET and giving the BE 6 bids!   8-)
Creighton Butler Big East Final with Creighton winning would be an ideal scenario for the league:)
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #658 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:55 PM »
Creighton Butler Big East Final with Creighton winning would be an ideal scenario for the league:)
Yeah not if youre hoping for big tv ratings in the final.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #659 on: February 18, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
Yeah not if youre hoping for big tv ratings in the final.
Yes TV and in house would be bad. However the league gets compensated for it with the NCAA units.
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #660 on: February 18, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
MU and Nova are the only teams with a shot to do any real damage in the NCAA Tournament so the best thing for the league would be those 2 getting as high of a seed as possible. So the best thing would be an MU vs. Nova final, and that’d also bring the most viewers with a top 15 matchup.

All I know is I’m hoping for a Marquette vs. Who the hell cares BE Tournament Final.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #661 on: February 18, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »
MU and Nova are the only teams with a shot to do any real damage in the NCAA Tournament so the best thing for the league would be those 2 getting as high of a seed as possible. So the best thing would be an MU vs. Nova final, and that’d also bring the most viewers with a top 15 matchup.

All I know is I’m hoping for a Marquette vs. Who the hell cares BE Tournament Final.

What do you consider real damage?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #662 on: February 18, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »

Agree with this, especially the last line, although I can't believe anybody is talking about the BEast tourney final yet because Wednesday's game is all that matters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #663 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
What do you consider real damage?

More than 1 win in the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #664 on: February 18, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »
The Hall has shown they can beat quality teams. Also quality guard play helps in the tournament and they have that.

Not sure they can get more than one win though, as they haven't shown the consistency needed.

---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #665 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »

I think SJU or SHU could win 2 but they'd have to catch some good matchups and that's probably their best case scenario. Agree with you for the most part. Just need Ponds or Powell to go bonkers in a 2nd round game.