[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Millennial Non-Voters  (Read 21393 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Millennial Non-Voters
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Every age group has non-voters, but these millennials really sound embarrassing.

12 Young People on Why They Probably Won’t Vote
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/12-young-people-on-why-they-probably-wont-vote.html

"putting all that information in just an Instagram Story, in a Snapchat filter or whatever — bulleted-out, easy-to-read, digestible content — would encourage me to vote."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MarqKarp

• Starter
Re: Millennial Non-Voters
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:06:26 AM »
If you can't figure out what "post marked" means, it is probably best you are not voting. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:56 AM »
Actually a mix of Millennials and Gen Z, but your point isn't wrong.

One of the things I'm concerned about with regard to politicals is the "sportification"....meaning it feels like now more than ever elections are viewed through the context of "my side won more elections on election day so I'm happy" with a complete lack of connection to the impact on local, state, and federal policy the results of those elections have.

Maybe another way to put it is that if feels like the two party system has never felt more ingrained in society, especially in the younger generations and I think that is disastrous long term for this country

*For the record this is coming from someone that identifies as a Modern Whig, so what do I know.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »

One of the things I'm concerned about with regard to politicals is the "sportification"....meaning it feels like now more than ever elections are viewed through the context of "my side won more elections on election day so I'm happy" with a complete lack of connection to the impact on local, state, and federal policy the results of those elections have.

Maybe another way to put it is that if feels like the two party system has never felt more ingrained in society, especially in the younger generations and I think that is disastrous long term for this country

*For the record this is coming from someone that identifies as a Modern Whig, so what do I know.

Its REALLY easy to get on social media and find yourself pushed away from candidates just on blithering idiots.  Ive had candidates where I looked them up later and was like "oh, I actually kind of like what they have to say" but had sort of put them out of my mind cause I'd come across stuff on Twitter or the like where it was just too much.  Same way you have no real attachment or connection to a sports team, but grow to dislike them because their fans are obnoxious.  Add to that where sometimes, if you read sentiment, it feels like choices are "care about other people" or "not feel guilty about wanting to make and keep as much money as personally possible", with no intersect.  Its soo polarizing.

That being said, I'm a millennial and most of those responses made my brain ache.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »

Still hung up on Andrew Jackson's veto of the National Bank?

...but seriously...what's a Modern Whig?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
Still hung up on Andrew Jackson's veto of the National Bank?

...but seriously...what's a Modern Whig?

http://action.modernwhig.org/platform

For me the most telling description of what makes a Modern Whig: We often say we favor methodology over ideology, meaning we look at issues through the prism of intelligent analysis and common sense rather than a rigid, predetermined outlook. While we embrace a wide range of viewpoints, we all share the same basic framework for analyzing any particular economic, political or strategic issue. Does it meet the three guides to success: Is it principled, does it achieve what is intended, and is it pragmatic?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »

Exactly.  Is it any wonder why - at this stage in the campaign cycle - that candidates turn their primary focus and talking points to the polls, with all of them saying "the polls look good for me" regardless of what the polls actually say?

Moreover, how sustainable is a society when half of the population is being conditioned to despise the other half?

The joy is so overwhelming, I might have to go cry now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Every age group has non-voters, but these millennials really sound embarrassing.

12 Young People on Why They Probably Won’t Vote
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/12-young-people-on-why-they-probably-wont-vote.html

"putting all that information in just an Instagram Story, in a Snapchat filter or whatever — bulleted-out, easy-to-read, digestible content — would encourage me to vote."

actually, many make sense.  The Boomers and generations who came before them have destroyed the system, creating the disillusionment. Citizens United only made it worse. Money, not voices, is what drives our political system today.

Of course, we live in a society now what all we have to do is say "Millenial" and we immediately make up our mind that whatever they are going to say is going to be ridiculous and laughable.  As I told my assistant, a Millenial, "your generation has become everybody else's bitches."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
actually, many make sense.  The Boomers and generations who came before them have destroyed the system, creating the disillusionment. Citizens United only made it worse. Money, not voices, is what drives our political system today.

Vehemently disagree, Citizens United while extremely frustrating is largely an excuse for people to not engage in the process "why should I vote/volunteer/make a difference, the corporate money is just gonna box me out." Further it is symptomatic of(not the cause of) the nationalization of our politics, which I think is calamitous to our political discourse.

Prime example, in state senate and representative races in southeastern Wisconsin the far and away #1 issue being thrown at each candidate is around pre-existing medical conditions. Practically speaking (regardless of position) what impact can a state rep have on pre-existing coverage? Sure, it's worth to have a position on, but why is it the #1 issue to the exclusion of almost everything at that level of political office?

Lastly, every younger generation has been "disillusioned" by the older generation....this isn't some strange new phenomenon that impacts only millennials.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »

For me the most telling description of what makes a Modern Whig: We often say we favor methodology over ideology, meaning we look at issues through the prism of intelligent analysis and common sense rather than a rigid, predetermined outlook. While we embrace a wide range of viewpoints, we all share the same basic framework for analyzing any particular economic, political or strategic issue. Does it meet the three guides to success: Is it principled, does it achieve what is intended, and is it pragmatic?

You've done it well.

I was never able to pigeon-hole you to one side or the other. Even with other guys who put out well thought out responses - TAMU, for example - it could be deduced what side of the spectrum they were on.

I always thought it was just the engineering mindset, but you have finally given the real explanation. A much better look than to just be considered middle-of-the-road, which implies to most people a blandness  or a lack of deep beliefs.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
You've done it well.

I was never able to pigeon-hole you to one side or the other. Even with other guys who put out well thought out responses - TAMU, for example - it could be deduced what side of the spectrum they were on.

I always thought it was just the engineering mindset, but you have finally given the real explanation. A much better look than to just be considered middle-of-the-road, which implies to most people a blandness  or a lack of deep beliefs.

Eng is a deep thinker.  Never mind that he has us 19-1 out of the gate!   :o

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Vehemently disagree, Citizens United while extremely frustrating is largely an excuse for people to not engage in the process "why should I vote/volunteer/make a difference, the corporate money is just gonna box me out." Further it is symptomatic of(not the cause of) the nationalization of our politics, which I think is calamitous to our political discourse.

Prime example, in state senate and representative races in southeastern Wisconsin the far and away #1 issue being thrown at each candidate is around pre-existing medical conditions. Practically speaking (regardless of position) what impact can a state rep have on pre-existing coverage? Sure, it's worth to have a position on, but why is it the #1 issue to the exclusion of almost everything at that level of political office?

Lastly, every younger generation has been "disillusioned" by the older generation....this isn't some strange new phenomenon that impacts only millennials.

Agree very strongly on your first and third points. 

On the second one, there are still impacts that can be made at the state level.  You are right, it is more of a national issue, but it is reflective of how strongly people feel that they want it addressed at the state level if the at the national level it has been moving away from the direction they desire.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
You've done it well.

Well thank you, though I have to say part of it is that I was raised to play devils advocate as a way to challenge my own or others rigid thinking.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »

I read the whole platform.  Can’t say there’s anything in there I disagree with.  I certainly wish we had more pragmatism and less competition.

Thanks for the info!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
If "Did Not Vote" was a candidate.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »

Ha!  That is pretty funny.  Amazing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »

Wonder where "none of the above" fits on that map, aina.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »
Ha!  That is pretty funny.  Amazing.

Voter suppression is not funny. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »

+1  Exactly.  Winning is more important that civility and making things work.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
For all the grief we give Millennials and Generation Z around here, let's keep in mind that they didn't choose to raise themselves on cable television, the internet, mobile devices and social media.
Good or bad - and we seem focused almost exclusively on the bad around here - they are who they are largely because of the way their parents (mostly GenXers, with some younger Boomers sprinkled in) chose to stick them in front of televisions, computers and iPhones so they could go about their busy, important lives. Which, to be fair to the parents, is often necessitated by the need - or perceived need - for two-income households these days.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
For all the grief we give Millennials and Generation Z around here, let's keep in mind that they didn't choose to raise themselves on cable television, the internet, mobile devices and social media.
Good or bad - and we seem focused almost exclusively on the bad around here - they are who they are largely because of the way their parents (mostly GenXers, with some younger Boomers sprinkled in) chose to stick them in front of televisions, computers and iPhones so they could go about their busy, important lives. Which, to be fair to the parents, is often necessitated by the need - or perceived need - for two-income households these days.

I agree with this with a minor point.  Millennials I would think are tied closer to boomer parents with some early x’ers sprinkled in. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »

There is some overlap, but Millennials are mostly the children of Boomers, and Gen Z are mostly the children of Xers

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »

What’s with the swipe at dual income?  It doesn’t always have to do with money, some of us choose not to subscribe to archaic ideas of gender roles.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
What’s with the swipe at dual income?  It doesn’t always have to do with money, some of us choose not to subscribe to archaic ideas of gender roles.

1. Wasn't intended as a swipe. In fact, I noted that it's often necessary.
2. That said, while some families truly need a second income due to the rising costs of education, health care and the like, it's also worth noting that we spend far more today on discretionary items (entertainment, vacations, etc.) than prior generations. And while the size of our families is, on average, smaller, the size of our homes is 1,000-sq-feet larger than they were a couple of generations ago.
3. Sounds to me as if you're assuming that a single-income family would mean mom stays home and dad works ... so who's the one subscribing to archaic ideas about gender roles here?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Yeah, I'm glad we didn't do that very much.  And I will tell you that's it's an absolute joy to witness one's kids as productive, well adjusted adults.  God gave me one job that mattered.