[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219551 times)

BM1090

• All American
NBA Thread 2019-20
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »
We have one for baseball and football so figured I would start this one.

The Bucks are fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:38:00 PM by BM1090 »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
Griffin lays 50 tonight. Maybe Doc don't know trades, hey?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
I really wish I could've heard Budenholzer's thoughts out loud and uncensored the first time he saw the Bucks working out.  Or the first time he sat down to watch film from last year's Bucks season as the new coach of the Bucks.

The guy could be an average NBA coach, but he's going to look like Greg Popovich combined with Brad Stevens just by how awful Kidd/Prunty were.

Force teams to take midrange jumpers?  Don't concede corner 3 pointers, the shortest and most efficient shot in the NBA?  Space the floor around your once in a lifetime freak athlete?  Preach ball movement and perimeter shooting?  What concepts!

Kidd/Prunty were playing Snell/Delly over Brogdon.  What a joke.

Also, as big as it was to get Ersan on the Bucks, it was just as big to get him off of the 6ers, as well as Belinelli.  That team is AWFUL shooting the ball outside of 8 feet.  Simmons trying to finish anything going right is painful to watch.  Fultz looks like he has no confidence whatsoever.  The fact that they start Fultz over Reddick is hilarious, ESPECIALLY given the makeup of the roster.

The Bucks finally made smart offseason moves and they already look like a completely different team.  Should be a fun season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »
Ersan and Donte are nice upgrades to this lineup.  I think they fit what the Bucks are trying to do much better than the likes of Snell, who IMO can still develop a role.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
Ersan and Donte are nice upgrades to this lineup.  I think they fit what the Bucks are trying to do much better than the likes of Snell, who IMO can still develop a role.

Agreed.  What I like most about Donte is he's a great rebounder for a guard, and he doesn't need shots to contribute.  Really smart playmaker.  Don't think he's ever a featured player in an offense, but think he'll contribute for a number of years.

This team's rebounding should be really good.  Lopez doesn't get rebounds, but he clears out space for everyone else to grab them and get the ball up the floor early.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 05:34:27 PM »
4 first round picks for Jimmy B? Sheesh

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
4 first round picks for Jimmy B? Sheesh

The Rockets see the schism between them and the Warriors growing, not narrowing, and they are desperate to win while they have Harden and Paul.

Plus, teams that assume a trade will keep them winning for years don't value first-round picks as highly. There are exceptions, to be sure, but most of the best players are drafted in the first half of the first round. Finally, they can only give up a first-rounder every other year (by NBA rules), so they still will have plenty of first-rounders over the next several years.

One could argue that the Rockets need another 3-point shooter more than Jimmy, but he'd immediately help their lousy defense, and he of course is a great offensive player too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
The Rockets see the schism between them and the Warriors growing, not narrowing, and they are desperate to win while they have Harden and Paul.

Plus, teams that assume a trade will keep them winning for years don't value first-round picks as highly. There are exceptions, to be sure, but most of the best players are drafted in the first half of the first round. Finally, they can only give up a first-rounder every other year (by NBA rules), so they still will have plenty of first-rounders over the next several years.

One could argue that the Rockets need another 3-point shooter more than Jimmy, but he'd immediately help their lousy defense, and he of course is a great offensive player too.

Jimmy walks in there as the cock of the walk.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »

Saw they would have to offer 2019, 2021, 2023 and 2025, and they'd all have to be unprotected. That unprotected part is gigantic, and for me tips the scales on making this a bad offer.  First rounders for the next couple of years? Fine, they'll be at worst a middling playoff team so who cares.

But offering unprotected first rounders 5 and 7 years down the road is tremendously risky. A lot will change during that time, and I probably wouldn't trade a single first overall pick for JFB now, taking his contract into account.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
Update from Woj that the "lottery protections around the four picks would be limited." Whatever that means.

Either way, Chris Thompson made the good point on deadspin that this offer highlights the conflict of interest when you make your head coach your GM/top personnel decision maker. In terms of player and draft capital, Min has to make this move. Even taking Butler out of the equation, this would boil down to Kris Dunn, expensive Zach Lavine, and moving down from 7 to 16 in 2017 for four first rounders. No GM passes that up. But when your "GM" is your coach, and that coach is Thibs who doesn't hesitate to put another 250 miles on his star's legs in April just to stay out of the lottery, well...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
So, the Bucks are 4-0 and the Bulls are 1-3.  That was a short Chicago vs. Milwaukee pissng thread.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
So, the Bucks are 4-0 and the Bulls are 1-3.  That was a short Chicago vs. Milwaukee pissng thread.

Have some faith.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

Did anyone honestly expect any differently? I've been a Pelicans fan for about the past 5 years because of the ineptitude of the Bulls management.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
Did anyone honestly expect any differently? I've been a Pelicans fan for about the past 5 years because of the ineptitude of the Bulls management.

The Pelicans front office is of pretty much the same caliber as the Bulls.  It's just that they have Anthony Davis.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »

The Pelicans front office is of pretty much the same caliber as the Bulls.  It's just that they have Anthony Davis.

At least Demps tried with Boogie. I actually think their squad is pretty solid this season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
This is the first I’ve watched of the Wolves, but Jimmy’s “leadership” this offseason certainly wasn’t effective if this is any indication. Goodness gracious this team is checked out 5 games into the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 06:14:48 AM »
This is the first I’ve watched of the Wolves, but Jimmy’s “leadership” this offseason certainly wasn’t effective if this is any indication. Goodness gracious this team is checked out 5 games into the season.

They have to trade him, obviously. Hard to imagine them getting a better offer than the Rockets' offer, but maybe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
Jimmy Butler was a nice and humble kid when he got to MU.  And he's got a great story of rising above overwhelming odds to make it huge.   Then he allowed the toxic attitude and ego of vast majority of NBA stars that enable him to become the giant douchebag he is today. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »
Jimmy Butler was a nice and humble kid when he got to MU.  And he's got a great story of rising above overwhelming odds to make it huge.   Then he allowed the toxic attitude and ego of vast majority of NBA stars that enabled him to become the giant douchebag he is today.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
Misposted in the top 20 players thread re: the Lakers and upcoming free agents.

—————

Agreed, I just don't think the LAL are trash, and have better players than people realize.

Next two summer's FA has the possibility for the biggest in terms of potential shifting of the tide...

Tier 1
~KD
~Klay
~Kyrie
~Kwaai
~Cousins*

Tier 2
~Jimmy
~Kemba

And then in 2020 you have Draymond and AD...

Wades, do you see a shift back to the East (BOS, Philly, MKE) competing for titles say in the next few years?  Probably depends where KD and AD land, right?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
I would not put Klay anywhere near tier one until he can prove he can play on a team without 3 other allstars.

The only reason he gets as much space as he does is because of Curry, KD and co.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »
It’s like you retweeted yourself.

I know, hit quote apparently when I meant to modify.  :)

feedback