[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU's Greg Elliot Out 10-12 Weeks with re-injured hand. . . rats!  (Read 18055 times)

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
Greg Elliot Will Be Out For Awhile:

I did not mean to jump the gun but this news will become official tomorrow at some time. I have it on good authority that this is true and it is a HUGE blow to the Men's program.

Greg completely tore the ligaments in between his thumb and forefinger and had two cortisone shots in the hand recently I am told. Those needles are long! Ouch...but that is a warrior for you. Played through it all last year but no need to do that again with the deeper team.

Greg re-injured his hand that he played hurt with all year and was poised to have a breakout year this year. It still can happen but it will take some time to come back and get back in game shape.

In hindsight maybe he should have had surgery at the end of the year like Sam Hauser and Ike Eke did with their own injuries, but it is what it is. There is some second-guessing that might come with that decision. . .

I feel bad for the kid but we will see how the team fares. Stay in good spirits GE and we will keep the lights on until you get back!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:06:20 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

TheyWereCones

• Starter
Re: MU's Greg Elliot Out 10-12 Weeks with re-injured hand. . . rats!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:59:49 AM »

I did not mean to jump the gun but this news will become official tomorrow at some time. I have it on good authority that this is true and it is a HUGE blow to the Men's program.

Greg completely tore the ligaments in between his thumb and forefinger and had two cortisone shots in the hand recently I am told. Those needles are long! Ouch...but that is a warrior for you. Played through it all last year but no need to do that again with the deeper team.

Greg re-injured his hand that he played hurt with all year and was poised to have a breakout year this year. It still can happen but it will take some time to come back and get back in game shape.

In hindsight maybe he should have had surgery at the end of the year like Sam Hauser and Ike Eke did with their own injuries, but it is what it is. There is some second-guessing that might come with that decision. . .

I feel bad for the kid but we will see how the team fares. Stay in good spirits GE and we will keep the lights on until you get back!

That's too bad.  Was hoping to see him take a step forward this year.  I thought he did have surgery on his hand at the end of last season?

At this point, if he's going to miss half the season anyway, and with our depth this year, maybe he should just redshirt.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:31:10 AM »
That's too bad.  Was hoping to see him take a step forward this year.  I thought he did have surgery on his hand at the end of last season?

At this point, if he's going to miss half the season anyway, and with our depth this year, maybe he should just redshirt.

Feel bad for him, but I know he is not one to sulk and feel sorry for himself. He will make the best of this situation, even if a redshirt is at hand..oops bad word choice. Kid is so smart and cool (FR chastising a SR early in the year for a dumb play), tough, and focused.

I am no stud athlete, but I can sympathize with the kid. Hand injuries suck. I once had an initial diagnosis of a torn ligament in my wrist from repetitive stress due to hitting 100s of golf balls a day on winter golf mats. But a dye test revealed it to be only severe tendonitis. I had two cortisone shots, which helped substantially, but I was still unable to make a full swing for months. It was the best thing that ever happened to my golf game, as I worked only on chipping and pitching for about 4 months, and got really proficient at saving par from almost anywhere.

I'd bet Greg is going to really work on aspects of his game not involving use of the hands. Wouldn't be surprised if his lower body develops and he really improves his foot speed. His mental game is already amazing, so l look for him to a be a vocal leader in huddles and coach on the bench. Be patient, Greg. This is a tiny blip in the timeline of your career.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:36:54 AM by NorthernDancerColt »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:53 AM »
This is a bummer but likely leads to less frustration from at least one player.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 05:40:21 AM »

Elliott actually had surgery before  Sam did. 

https://marquettewire.org/3989464/sports/offseason-gives-hauser-elliott-much-needed-recovery-time/

Ike had his in January.

No need to make a decision on his redshirt yet.  10 weeks still gets him back around the beginning of BE season.

source?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
Not the news I was hoping to wake up to. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:16 AM »
Awful news all around. For as deep as the team is generally considered to be, GE was 1 of only 3 scholarship guards available to play this year with McEwen sitting out and not counting the G/F’s. Not good at all.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »
Please, please, please...  Stop worrying about positions.  There will be plenty of options available to fill spots on the court.  Not saying that he won't be missed by any means, but I feel comfortable with both Sacar and Jamal guarding the perimeter.

The biggest problem with this is that if JC or MH get hurt, we don't have a great option to back up the point.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »
Get well soon Greg.  As others have said, there is no need to even consider a possible redshirt at this time.  Greg will be out.  When he's healthy, that decision can be revisited.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
Arg.

I think we’ll be fine. Safari can fill Greg’s shoes kinda. But guard was the spot I felt we couldn’t afford to go down a guy.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
You can never have too many guards.  I love the attitude Greg brings.  If he's back in 12 weeks (around New Year's) he'll have time to work himself back for the important games at the end, so I agree with those that say there is no rush to consider a redshirt.  The main worry for me is that his hand may never be quite right, and that would be a terrible shame for the young man (and for us).  Good luck for a quick recovery, Greg!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
Big blow if it is confirmed. Greg is our best defender IMHO. I was counting on having him in the lineup to lockup opponents on a hot streak. Concerned the improvement in defense won't be as steep as we need without him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
I feel for Greg. Bad luck and worse timing. I won't be surprised if he just redhisrts now, though. He was a reasonable candidate for redshirt on the assumption he would be available for the whole year, and now that he may miss half the season anyway, he might as well take the redshirt year.

I don't see depth at guard being an issue at all. Knowing from this point on that one of Sam, Brendan, Sacar, or Jamal may be expected to bring the ball up at times gives them more time to work on that skillset. By the time conference play comes around, they will have adjusted. I also don't think we'll lose out too much on the defensive side. The same guys listed above (maybe not Sam as much) can fill the role Greg was expected to play, or maybe this just gives Sacar a few more minutes on the floor. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »
Figurin' Crimmins will put him back together. I'm in da redshirt camp. 3 months in a cast sucks ass along with the atrophy and adhesions ta deal wit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »
Do we have a Jimmy John's confirmation?  Did Greg not order his usual, the Gargantuan, because he couldn't hold it? 

Greg was our fourth guard.  The roster has flexibility at the 2-3 position. Concerning that Greg and Ike have reinjured their surgically repaired issues (not because of rehab but that ortho injuries are just tricky...aka, body type prone like Joe Fulce).  Take the time to heal.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Really unfortunate to hear.  Same hand for the injury he had surgically corrected. Greg has a bright future.  Sometimes fate intervenes for the best of all parties.  Talented as Greg is, PT may have been sparse for Greg this year.

No need to make the formal decision to redshirt Greg now, BUT it makes total sense in the event neither Markus nor Chartouney are injured at the time Greg is recovered from his 10-12 week rehab. 

I see no need to pull a Junior Cadougan with Greg.  Most all of us felt allocating PT and keeping everybody happy was going to be a real challenge for Wojo.  Greg also would benefit greatly from a 5th year in the program to build his body up - so skinny (yet has the heart of a warrior.)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
Do we have a Jimmy John's confirmation?  Did Greg not order his usual, the Gargantuan, because he couldn't hold it? 

Greg was our fourth guard.  The roster has flexibility at the 2-3 position. Concerning that Greg and Ike have reinjured their surgically repaired issues (not because of rehab but that ortho injuries are just tricky...aka, body type prone like Joe Fulce).  Take the time to heal.

This might be a blessing in disguise right now as having 11 solid who seats, now it becomes a tad easier.  This gives another lets say 20 minutes more for Bailey
Cain and Anim.  Figuring both guards play 30 minutes, that is 30 for Chartonny at the point and 10 for Howard,  then those 3 above can split the extra time at the
2 guard position.  Opens things up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
Sacar and Jamal now have an opportunity to play more.  Injuries happen.  Depth is essential.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
Is the good authority on being that this is true or that it’s a HUGE blow to the Men’s program?  Because I’m skeptical on both.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
Hand injuries are so tricky; my husband had six surgeries on the same hand over 18 months and they still couldn't get it completely back to normal.

No need to "officially" redshirt Greg - he is a defacto redshirt until Wojo decides to put him in a game.  I hope that happens, but if not, it would be good to have him around an extra year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm disappointed because Greg is one of my favorite players to watch. He brings an energy and infectious emotion that is hard to replicate. Hope he has a speedy recovery because I do think he can still play a big part on this team, though if it ended up letting us see another year of Elliott in 2021-22, I'm good with that too.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

burger

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
Sad for Greg.....

For the team.....next man up.....we have depth.....Adapt.....No excuses.....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
Not to throw water on the fire, but Greg is on the Marquette Basketball Instagram stories, which were created yesterday but posted today.....in which both hands are clearly visible and neither are braced/taped in anyway which you would anticipate with a complete tear of ligaments. Not saying it's not true, just saying I'm not jumping off the roof just yet

Insta Trakka
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »
Not to throw water on the fire, but Greg is on the Marquette Basketball Instagram stories, which were created yesterday but posted today.....in which both hands are clearly visible and neither are braced/taped in anyway which you would anticipate with a complete tear of ligaments. Not saying it's not true, just saying I'm not jumping off the roof just yet

Insta Trakka

This is true
Maigh Eo for Sam

fjm

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »
This is true

I’ve seen those posts also. And in none of the posts are his right hand seen. (Atleast that I could more or recall)