[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Student Section S/O  (Read 17555 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Student Section S/O
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »
Was I wrong? Were entire student section upper decks not empty for most games? Stating facts isn't ripping.

Shrinking it was a good idea by MU.

Some will recall it wasn't always that big at the BC. They expanded it during the Buzz years.

I think it's less about shrinking, and more about all student being guaranteed seating in the lower bowl.  The real good idea was going with the bow tie seating chart, rather than one full end zone.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
I think it's less about shrinking, and more about all student being guaranteed seating in the lower bowl.  The real good idea was going with the bow tie seating chart, rather than one full end zone.

I agree 100%

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
Okay, time for someone to drag Galway out of the pub...

I believe that he's actually home studying...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
Was I wrong? Were entire student section upper decks not empty for most games? Stating facts isn't ripping.

Shrinking it was a good idea by MU.

Some will recall it wasn't always that big at the BC. They expanded it during the Buzz years.
Your wrong for weekend games. Correct for weekday games. The student section of 3,700 in the BC is huge. Most student section are about 2,000 for most schools. Also, most school's are not playing in a arena that can seat 18,717.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Your wrong for weekend games. Correct for weekday games. The student section of 3,700 in the BC is huge. Most student section are about 2,000 for most schools. Also, most school's are not playing in a arena that can seat 18,717.

Also take into consideration the size of the university.  How many schools regularly get more than a third of their undergrad student body to attend basketball games?
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
The absolute number doesn't matter so much. (The student section of Cameron Indoor Stadium has a maximum capacity of less than 2,000.) What matters is that those 3,100 Marquette students are closer to the court in the new arena. That should go a long way toward creating a more high-energy environment on game day -- and a true home court advantage.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »

That may all be true (although I do remember some non-conference weekend games not even reaching the upper deck over the past couple years so I'm not sure you're entirely correct either).

All I know for sure is an apples to apples comparison of when I was at MU from 2005-2009 and the upper deck was consistently more than half full on weekday games. On weekends it was full to the rafters. The lower bowl was always packed any day of the week.

Over the past few years, the upper deck hardly has any students in it, save for maybe the 2 or 3 games biggest games a year.

This isn't a dig at students. I'm sure they have other priorities. If we are getting more brainiacs who aren't interested in basketball I don't even think that is necessarily a bad thing. But I think it is pretty clear that the student section was wayyyy bigger than it needed to be the past 5-7 years.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »
Also take into consideration the size of the university.  How many schools regularly get more than a third of their undergrad student body to attend basketball games?

Again, it was never meant as a dig against MU students. It is not a pissing contest against other universities.

It just is dumb to waste entire sections of seating on students who never use them. I'm glad MU is changing it up.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
My apologies, one of those weird pet peeves of mine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 04:41:39 PM »
That may all be true (although I do remember some non-conference weekend games not even reaching the upper deck over the past couple years so I'm not sure you're entirely correct either).

All I know for sure is an apples to apples comparison of when I was at MU from 2005-2009 and the upper deck was consistently more than half full on weekday games. On weekends it was full to the rafters. The lower bowl was always packed any day of the week.

Over the past few years, the upper deck hardly has any students in it, save for maybe the 2 or 3 games biggest games a year.

This isn't a dig at students. I'm sure they have other priorities. If we are getting more brainiacs who aren't interested in basketball I don't even think that is necessarily a bad thing. But I think it is pretty clear that the student section was wayyyy bigger than it needed to be the past 5-7 years.

I was at MU 09-14 and my memory is very similar to yours in terms of the upper deck consistently half full or more. Let's consider this, your freshman year the Juniors and seniors remember a final four, followed by a season that we were ranked and were damn good till Travis went down. your sophomore, junior and senior years we were consistently ranked and coming off NCAA tournaments. Same leading into the years I was there.

Now lets compare that to the basketball experience of the current students and those since my class left. No tournament, followed by coach leaving then worst season this century, followed by a faux good record, followed by bubble team getting blown out, followed by just missing the tournament.

It may be that the students care, or at least would like to, but because even the seniors now were taking the ACT when we were last good (let alone the current juniors, sophomores and freshmen) they just need that real hype.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:21:16 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
Again, it was never meant as a dig against MU students. It is not a pissing contest against other universities.

It just is dumb to waste entire sections of seating on students who never use them. I'm glad MU is changing it up.

There also wasn't a single game in the past 4 years where the student section upper bowl was empty where the fans showed up in droves. The lack of students did not prevent fans from getting tickets. I think the fact of the matter is when you are an average team playing another average team (Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns) you will not be getting a crap load (pun intended) of butts in seats.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
remember the good old days with tents on the lawn of Lalumiere and ticket lotteries?
I wonder how many student tickets were issued for the games in the Arena/Mecca.

Probably fewer with games in the Auditorium.  I'll bet those bleachers on the stage were the "bees-knees" back in the 30's.

When I attended, '65-'69, tickets were not issued. My freshman year, Al's second year as coach, freshman were offered a season ticket package for 8 dollars/seat/year for all home games. I paid 64 dollars for two reserved seats at the Arena for my 4 years at MU. My first 2 years at MU they averaged about 7-8 thousand per game. I believe the Arena held about 11000 then and I would say about 3000 were students which were located on the North side of the arena. My Junior and Senior years tickets were becoming a hot item.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »
I was at MU 09-14 and my memory is very similar to yours in terms of the upper deck consistently half full or more. Let's consider this, your freshman year the Juniors and seniors remember a final four, followed by a season that we were ranked and were damn good till Travis went down. your sophomore, junior and senior years we were consistently ranked and coming off NCAA tournaments. Same leading into the years I was there.

Now lets compare that to the basketball experience of the current students and those since my class left. No tournament, followed by coach leaving then worst season ever, followed by a faux good record, followed by bubble team getting blown out, followed by just missing the tournament.

It may be that the students care, or at least would like to, but because even the seniors now were taking the ACT when we were last good (let alone the current juniors, sophomores and freshmen) they just need that real hype.

Exactly this...being from 13-17 the feeling of being robbed from the true MUBB experience that the previous 10+ years were able to experience doesn't exactly get students hyped for the season...when the best thing that happens in my 4 years is making the tournament as a bubble team then getting blown out in the NCAA game, can confirm, is depressing. EDIT** Nova game was the high point. Great high point, but short lived high point after loosing our next few games

Seeing our roster for the 14-15 season was a main contributor for choosing my sophomore year to study abroad rather than junior. Nailed that one on the head

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »

The other thing is school is not in session for only five home games....which is less than previous years.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »
remember the good old days with tents on the lawn of Lalumiere and ticket lotteries?
I wonder how many student tickets were issued for the games in the Arena/Mecca.

Probably fewer with games in the Auditorium.  I'll bet those bleachers on the stage were the "bees-knees" back in the 30's.

Students had a good allocation. They were always sold out, thus the camping out for days.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
The other thing is school is not in session for only five home games....which is less than previous years.
Six.
North Dakota, Buffalo, Southern, Xavier, Seton Hall and Providence.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2018, 08:23:00 PM »
Six.
North Dakota, Buffalo, Southern, Xavier, Seton Hall and Providence.

Seton Hall is the weekend before school resumes on Jan.14 .  So that's the fifth and will be well attended.

You counting MLK Weekend game with  Providence on Sunday as out of session?  I count that as Student Hangover Day.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
Students had a good allocation. They were always sold out, thus the camping out for days.
“If the tent’s a rockin’ Don’t you be knockin’!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »
Let's see if they actually show up to games

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 09:53:54 AM »
Let's see if they actually show up to games
Good one

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Other than break games, I am usually more worried about non-students showing up and participating then I am about students.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
Other than break games, I am usually more worried about non-students showing up and participating then I am about students.
Amazing the money some have to burn not to give their tickets away if the owner can't show up for the game.
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Exactly this...being from 13-17 the feeling of being robbed from the true MUBB experience that the previous 10+ years were able to experience doesn't exactly get students hyped for the season...when the best thing that happens in my 4 years is making the tournament as a bubble team then getting blown out in the NCAA game, can confirm, is depressing. EDIT** Nova game was the high point. Great high point, but short lived high point after loosing our next few games

Seeing our roster for the 14-15 season was a main contributor for choosing my sophomore year to study abroad rather than junior. Nailed that one on the head

Yeah I totally get it. There wasn't much to be excited about. Hopefully that will start changing soon.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

So you don't want non-students showing up? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
So you don't want non-students showing up?

All I know is that I see a lot more holes in the first deck of the non-student sections than I do in the first deck of the student section.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.