'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Should Marquette Redshirt Somebody?  (Read 13446 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Should Marquette Redshirt Somebody?
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
You mean an unranked freshman was turning the ball over? shocked. That's why I said decent for an unranked freshman. Clearly wasn't ready for prime time but I think that had he taken a red shirt or even without one he'd be pretty decent around this time.

I can only imagine Markus Howard’s turnover rate if he was the sole/primary PG his freshman year at MU, as was Traci.

Traci could play at Big East level, but with Rowsey AND Howard, hard to stick around. In my ideal scenario, Traci would have been redshirted last year, while Rowsey finished out his career, and then Traci would have stepped into role Chartouney is filling. I’d personally rather have had Traci (in his 3rd year in program) than 1 year of Chartouney.

Think Traci will be dominant in the A-10. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »
I liked Traci. At the time, I thought he could have developed into a good point guard. But there isn't a guard on the current roster that I'd trade for him today. Think we've upgraded our talent and depth at the position with Joseph, Greg and Kobe.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:37 AM »
Anyone asking the "don't redshirt someone because what if X gets injured?" question, they just take the redshirt off and play them. Just like Bucky did with Reuvers last year. A redshirt isn't definitive until they get through the season. You can take it off at any time.

I am well aware of how a redshirt works.  I stick by my earlier comment about being concerned with injuries and preferring not to redshirt anyone this year other than the transfer,  McEwen.

Say Elliott plans to redshirt and Chartouney blows his knee Jan 15.  Ok, you burn the redshirt.  But you also handicapped MU for about half the year by not being at full strength.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
I would not redshirt anyone, especially Jamal.  He could easily end up being a top 5 contributor this year who plays 20+ minutes.  You don't redshirt that.  If that's at the cost of someone else losing minutes, so be it.  Who else in the last 20 years have we ever redshirted that had the potential to contribute at that level?

The only person to me who could possibly make sense is Greg, and to me that only makes sense if he's dealing with lingering thumb issues and therefore will have a harder time competing if not at 100%.  But I love Greg.  He's like Rod Tidwell..."I'm all heart baby!"  I hope he is 100% and does not redshirt.  He reminds me most on this roster of the gritty Buzz teams that you just hated to play because you knew it was going to be a fight.  Theo has some of that too.  We need more of that.  We've been way too soft the past few years.  No intimidation at all.

I also hate when we speculate on transfers or even talk about it at all.  Constantly reminding everyone that in most seasons someone transfers is just as fun as reminding everyone that someone you know will likely get cancer in the next 5 years.  I love this team, the chemistry they seem to have, and I hope no one transfers and everyone understands that the guy who plays 5 minutes a game is still a valuable piece to an exciting puzzle.  We should be very good this year and could be unbelievable next year.  If everyone plays for the name on the front of the jersey, I don't see any transfers, and the way these guys seem to get along, I'm optimistic.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:23 AM »
Redshirts become graduate transfers elsewhere. We got three guys hurt by the first scrimmage.  No

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »
I’d rather have Greg Elliott than a “pretty decent” mid-major point guard.

That's fair you're free to disagree with me, essentially what I am saying is that I believe he'll be where Chartouny was when he plays in the A10 this year. We can disagree.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 08:04:02 AM »
That's fair you're free to disagree with me, essentially what I am saying is that I believe he'll be where Chartouny was when he plays in the A10 this year. We can disagree.

We will see.  I doubt he will be as good of a shooter as JC is.  Also the combination of usage and turnover% was pretty poor with TC.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

We will see.  I doubt he will be as good of a shooter as JC is.  Also the combination of usage and turnover% was pretty poor with TC.

In general or from distance? Because good shooter isn't an adjective I'd use for someone who shot 28% as a Jr from deep.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 08:18:15 AM »
In general or from distance? Because good shooter isn't an adjective I'd use for someone who shot 28% as a Jr from deep.

EFG rules.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »

Eke is the only one I'd consider.  If his back is still an issue apply for a Hardship Waiver, and make the case.  If not, he loses a year of eligibility to develop.  So be it, last year was needed as a development year, and unfortunately he lost it to injury.  I am assuming he still needs a year of development until he is ready to contribute. 
There are no minutes for him with Matt, Theo, Ed and Joey. 
Backs are tricky, he sat out the Open Scrimmage.  A case could be made he is not 100%.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:57:10 AM by 94Warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »

Eke is the only one I'd consider.  If his back is still an issue apply for a Hardship Waiver, and make the case.

There's really no case. If Eke redshirts, he loses a year. Period. They won't grant an extra year to a guy that willingly burned a year when he'd already spent his year in residence.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
There's really no case. If Eke redshirts, he loses a year. Period. They won't grant an extra year to a guy that willingly burned a year when he'd already spent his year in residence.

Even if he has lingering issues related to a somewhat significant back operation? You're probably right, but seems like there should be some form of a case there.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »

We all disagree
I think we should disagree
Yeah

-Julian Casablancas

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
Redshirts become graduate transfers elsewhere if they are unhappy with their role on their current team. We got three guys hurt by the first scrimmage.  No

FIFY

Since 2011, Marquette has had 7 scholarship players who theoretically could have qualified for a grad transfer. Only 1 of them took advantage of it (Duane). This doesn't include any players who could have graduated in three years (not sure if we've had any). It's a misconception that all or even most players who are grad transfer eligible take advantage of it. I also think we are heading towards no redshirts for transfer sooner rather than later so it may be a non-issue.

As for the injury concern, there is so much depth on this team that I think it would take two season ending injuries to require burning the redshirt. I am also not afraid of burning the redshirt if necessary. Kansas State burned Mike McGuirl's redshirt in January and helped them to an Elite Eight appearance. Creighton burned Jacob Epperson's redshirt after Krampelj went down at the end of January and he became an effective member in their rotation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »

Eke's surgery from last season could get him a medical hardship waiver. If the docs say that his back still needs more time to heal they would have a strong case for a sixth year. If his back needs more time, than I think they should pursue that route.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
Someone said somewhere that Cain is a top 8 player in our rotation this season. If that is the case, he absolutely should play. I'm just not so sure that it is true. Here's my math:

Cain was the 7th player in our rotation last season
Unless he takes a massive leap (or someone ahead of him is hurt) I don't see him passing anyone
Rowdy left so that moves Cain up to 6th
We added Joe and Ed, both whom are more known quantities than the two freshman. I could be wrong, but based on previous performances, I expect both to be ahead, moving Cain down to 8th
Now if he's top 8, I think he should play. But 9 or lower? I probably think about redshirting him. So all it would take is one of Joey or BB to be ahead of him to put him in the benchwarmer range
Theo I think gets a pass because of depth at his postition

Of course, all of this changes if Greg (or someone else) is significantly hurt.

For me, this is all about the long term. I would rather trade a year of Cain being the 9th or 10th man in the rotation now, for a year of him being one of the top 3 players later. I think we have the depth to handle it.

This is all dependent on the player though. Redshirts can bring out the best in a player (Sacar) or it can break their confidence/trust and set them back. Wojo and Co know what buttons to press with which player.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Eke's surgery from last season could get him a medical hardship waiver. If the docs say that his back still needs more time to heal they would have a strong case for a sixth year. If his back needs more time, than I think they should pursue that route.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2018, 10:53:41 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think his odds to get a second year for the same injury were hurt when he broke the school record for vertical.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2018, 11:32:24 PM »
Call me crazy, but I think his odds to get a second year for the same injury were hurt when he broke the school record for vertical.

Eh. My wife just had back surgery in April. She can jump just as high as she did pre-sugery. She definitely couldn't play basketball. There's also the possibility of a reinjury. If the docs say he shouldn't play this season, I'm confident Eke could get a sixth year. I have no idea what the status of Ike's back is.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Probably not now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
Probably not now.

Unless it's Elliott. If we get to January and we are getting enough PG minutes out of Howard and Chartouny, along with Howard, Anim, and maybe Bailey and/or Cain playing the 2, it's entirely possible we could just let Elliott ride.

feedback