collapse

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder cup 2018  (Read 16205 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Ryder cup 2018
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
Tough tough course, beautiful course, especially when the wind kicks in and the crowd gets oiled up

Let’s see how furyk puts his teams together, but right off the bat he separated the ever effective spieth/Reid combo pack and put reed with tiger, spieth with his good buddy Thomas

Reed as he had shown in the opening match, was a little weak as he seems to have been struggling most of the year.  I thought the Ryder cup would give him a new spark, but he and tiger drop their first match 3 and 1.  Spieth/Thomas won ham n eggin it.  Jordan damn near knocked his 2nd shot in from 130 on hole 2 to set the attitude that he is back from missing the fed-x finals.

finau/ koepka looked sharp overcoming a 2 shot deficit to take the lead and win it on the final hole.  Great stuff for the Ryder cup rookie finau.  He put in a clutch chip shot from just off the green on  #6 I believe

Johnson and Fowler are going to be tough to beat

1st round USA-3.  Europe-1
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Ryder cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Reed has made monsters out the the gallery.  They have been on him from the moment he pulled into the parking lot.  If furyk keeps that reed/tiger match up, there better be a good stabile chemistry.  Will tigers influence and charisma rub off on reed?  I wonder?  Reed can be a pretty stubborn-proud southern dude.mmtiger has a new confidence and will accept nothing short of excellence.  Patrick dumped a routine chip approach to #16 into the water after they decided tiger would lay up out of the rough.  Tiger was NOT to happy

don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
Second session not going great.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »
USA getting absolutely spanked in afternoon session.

I said in golf thread earlier that Phil was playing like crap coming into the Cup and it is continuing. As typing, they are six down after eight holes. On first par 5, he took an iron on tee shot and hooked it in the water.  Doesn't know where the ball is going.  Rickie also playing bad, well they all are. Reed hasn't had a top 10 finish since May.

USA has been consistently bad in alternate shot and showing today.  Was hoping for some good golf to watch, but not happening, off to do yard work. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
USA getting absolutely spanked in afternoon session.

I said in golf thread earlier that Phil was playing like crap coming into the Cup and it is continuing. As typing, they are six down after eight holes. On first par 5, he took an iron on tee shot and hooked it in the water.  Doesn't know where the ball is going.  Rickie also playing bad, well they all are. Reed hasn't had a top 10 finish since May.

USA has been consistently bad in alternate shot and showing today.  Was hoping for some good golf to watch, but not happening, off to do yard work.

Not sure why you have Phil in alternate shot. Unless his recovery skills make him a good option.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
I'm too lazy to look up Patrick Reed's past Ryder Cup stats (i know he was great two years ago), but given how "well liked" he is, I wonder if he's not best suited for four ball and singles only.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
I'm too lazy to look up Patrick Reed's past Ryder Cup stats (i know he was great two years ago), but given how "well liked" he is, I wonder if he's not best suited for four ball and singles only.

Reed, when paired with Speith, in I believe Ryder/Presidents is 8-1-3.  Furyk decided to break them up.  Whoops.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
Reed, when paired with Speith, in I believe Ryder/Presidents is 8-1-3.  Furyk decided to break them up.  Whoops.

Per Speith's request. Jordan wanted to play with his buddy and I think a lot of people don't enjoy playing with Reed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »

He was a monster in 2014 and 2016.  He and Spieth were 4-1-1 over 2 years in 4 ball and best ball.  He won both of his singles.  I think the Tiger pairing was the issue.  Shouldn't have split him and Spieth up.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
Second session not going great.

Depends on your rooting interests.  8-)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
You guys are right, turns out Reed's only loss coming into today was in a four ball match. I do sympathize with Furyk, though, having to find spots to put him in team play given that his record was too good to bench on one hand, but he hasn't been playing well and no one likes him on the other.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
You guys are right, turns out Reed's only loss coming into today was in a four ball match. I do sympathize with Furyk, though, having to find spots to put him in team play given that his record was too good to bench on one hand, but he hasn't been playing well and no one likes him on the other.

Same was said of Tiger in the late aughts
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
Phil is brutal right now.  I hope Furyk sits him the entire day tomorrow. Also, why no Brooks this afternoon?  He is our best player right now and needs to play every match here on out.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
I postulate that they sat Koepka after he sent the fan to the  hospital with his tee shot.    Get his head together. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/ryan-lavner/furyks-questionable-pairings-could-cost-team-usa-ryder-cup/

Good writeup and analysis here, especially Phil's stats. 

Like Johnny Miller said, the US has been too nice to players, there are a couple who need to sit out both sessions tomorrow.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
I think the most baffling decision was playing Mickelson in alternate shot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 06:54:20 AM »
European beat down this morning.   

Watching Bubba and Webb each hit into the water on a 135 yard hole in alternate shot is going to keep me giggling all weekend.

Hole halved with triple bogeys.  Words I never thought I would hear at a Ryder cup.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:30:05 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »
European beat down this morning.   

Watching Bubba and Webb each hit into the water on a 135 yard hole in alternate shot is going to keep me giggling all weekend.

Nothing a triple halve. Good lord.

But I like to throw handfuls...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Tee shots have killed them.  Almost every hole, par 3's included, in rough, water, bunkers. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I don't think Whistiling Straits will have a blade of grass over 1" within 20 yards of a fairway.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Europe has won 10 of last 11 matches, ridiculous.

Next Ryder Cup:

Phil gone:  Add Xander Shauffle
Tiger gone: Add Daniel Berger
Bubba/Webb: Add Patrick Cantley

This years rookies will learn, Thomas a stud, Koepka great, Finau, Dechambeau get better. 

Reed won Masters, ranked 16th in world, but no top ten since May and has been brutal. One writer said he might not have won third flight at his club championship. Who knows. 

Very disappointed was looking for an exciting Sunday.  USA probably will have to win, not halve, 8 of 12 matches.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Europe has won 10 of last 11 matches, ridiculous.

Next Ryder Cup:

Phil gone:  Add Xander Shauffle
Tiger gone: Add Daniel Berger
Bubba/Webb: Add Patrick Cantley

This years rookies will learn, Thomas a stud, Koepka great, Finau, Dechambeau get better. 

Reed won Masters, ranked 16th in world, but no top ten since May and has been brutal. One writer said he might not have won third flight at his club championship. Who knows. 

Very disappointed was looking for an exciting Sunday.  USA probably will have to win, not halve, 8 of 12 matches.

Reed has not been playing well, but as established, he was a Ryder Cup stud in his career until then. Tiger was as hot as any golfer in the world, but he has been bad. I think the most interesting footnote to Tiger’s career will be that outside of 2010, he has been very mediocre in the Ryder Cup

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
Webb Simpson has been brilliant, he should've been playing every match considering this course might as well be called Le Sawgrass National.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
US team has to hire somebody to carry a bucket and follow Tiger around. He's peeing down his leg so much that it's making a mess.

That having been said, he was a total no-brainer for Furyk. Nobody has played consistently better the last 2-3 months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Tiger continues to not be that great in the Ryder Cup

Now 13-20-3 after today

USA has never won trailing by this much going into Sunday on the road.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato