2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 08:59:23 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:30:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder cup 2018  (Read 16292 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Ryder cup 2018
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
Tough tough course, beautiful course, especially when the wind kicks in and the crowd gets oiled up

Let’s see how furyk puts his teams together, but right off the bat he separated the ever effective spieth/Reid combo pack and put reed with tiger, spieth with his good buddy Thomas

Reed as he had shown in the opening match, was a little weak as he seems to have been struggling most of the year.  I thought the Ryder cup would give him a new spark, but he and tiger drop their first match 3 and 1.  Spieth/Thomas won ham n eggin it.  Jordan damn near knocked his 2nd shot in from 130 on hole 2 to set the attitude that he is back from missing the fed-x finals.

finau/ koepka looked sharp overcoming a 2 shot deficit to take the lead and win it on the final hole.  Great stuff for the Ryder cup rookie finau.  He put in a clutch chip shot from just off the green on  #6 I believe

Johnson and Fowler are going to be tough to beat

1st round USA-3.  Europe-1
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Ryder cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Reed has made monsters out the the gallery.  They have been on him from the moment he pulled into the parking lot.  If furyk keeps that reed/tiger match up, there better be a good stabile chemistry.  Will tigers influence and charisma rub off on reed?  I wonder?  Reed can be a pretty stubborn-proud southern dude.mmtiger has a new confidence and will accept nothing short of excellence.  Patrick dumped a routine chip approach to #16 into the water after they decided tiger would lay up out of the rough.  Tiger was NOT to happy

don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
Second session not going great.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:24:42 AM »
USA getting absolutely spanked in afternoon session.

I said in golf thread earlier that Phil was playing like crap coming into the Cup and it is continuing. As typing, they are six down after eight holes. On first par 5, he took an iron on tee shot and hooked it in the water.  Doesn't know where the ball is going.  Rickie also playing bad, well they all are. Reed hasn't had a top 10 finish since May.

USA has been consistently bad in alternate shot and showing today.  Was hoping for some good golf to watch, but not happening, off to do yard work. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
USA getting absolutely spanked in afternoon session.

I said in golf thread earlier that Phil was playing like crap coming into the Cup and it is continuing. As typing, they are six down after eight holes. On first par 5, he took an iron on tee shot and hooked it in the water.  Doesn't know where the ball is going.  Rickie also playing bad, well they all are. Reed hasn't had a top 10 finish since May.

USA has been consistently bad in alternate shot and showing today.  Was hoping for some good golf to watch, but not happening, off to do yard work.

Not sure why you have Phil in alternate shot. Unless his recovery skills make him a good option.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
I'm too lazy to look up Patrick Reed's past Ryder Cup stats (i know he was great two years ago), but given how "well liked" he is, I wonder if he's not best suited for four ball and singles only.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
I'm too lazy to look up Patrick Reed's past Ryder Cup stats (i know he was great two years ago), but given how "well liked" he is, I wonder if he's not best suited for four ball and singles only.

Reed, when paired with Speith, in I believe Ryder/Presidents is 8-1-3.  Furyk decided to break them up.  Whoops.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
Reed, when paired with Speith, in I believe Ryder/Presidents is 8-1-3.  Furyk decided to break them up.  Whoops.

Per Speith's request. Jordan wanted to play with his buddy and I think a lot of people don't enjoy playing with Reed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »

He was a monster in 2014 and 2016.  He and Spieth were 4-1-1 over 2 years in 4 ball and best ball.  He won both of his singles.  I think the Tiger pairing was the issue.  Shouldn't have split him and Spieth up.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
Second session not going great.

Depends on your rooting interests.  8-)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
You guys are right, turns out Reed's only loss coming into today was in a four ball match. I do sympathize with Furyk, though, having to find spots to put him in team play given that his record was too good to bench on one hand, but he hasn't been playing well and no one likes him on the other.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
You guys are right, turns out Reed's only loss coming into today was in a four ball match. I do sympathize with Furyk, though, having to find spots to put him in team play given that his record was too good to bench on one hand, but he hasn't been playing well and no one likes him on the other.

Same was said of Tiger in the late aughts
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
Phil is brutal right now.  I hope Furyk sits him the entire day tomorrow. Also, why no Brooks this afternoon?  He is our best player right now and needs to play every match here on out.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
I postulate that they sat Koepka after he sent the fan to the  hospital with his tee shot.    Get his head together. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/ryan-lavner/furyks-questionable-pairings-could-cost-team-usa-ryder-cup/

Good writeup and analysis here, especially Phil's stats. 

Like Johnny Miller said, the US has been too nice to players, there are a couple who need to sit out both sessions tomorrow.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
I think the most baffling decision was playing Mickelson in alternate shot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 06:54:20 AM »
European beat down this morning.   

Watching Bubba and Webb each hit into the water on a 135 yard hole in alternate shot is going to keep me giggling all weekend.

Hole halved with triple bogeys.  Words I never thought I would hear at a Ryder cup.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:30:05 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »
European beat down this morning.   

Watching Bubba and Webb each hit into the water on a 135 yard hole in alternate shot is going to keep me giggling all weekend.

Nothing a triple halve. Good lord.

But I like to throw handfuls...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Tee shots have killed them.  Almost every hole, par 3's included, in rough, water, bunkers. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I don't think Whistiling Straits will have a blade of grass over 1" within 20 yards of a fairway.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Europe has won 10 of last 11 matches, ridiculous.

Next Ryder Cup:

Phil gone:  Add Xander Shauffle
Tiger gone: Add Daniel Berger
Bubba/Webb: Add Patrick Cantley

This years rookies will learn, Thomas a stud, Koepka great, Finau, Dechambeau get better. 

Reed won Masters, ranked 16th in world, but no top ten since May and has been brutal. One writer said he might not have won third flight at his club championship. Who knows. 

Very disappointed was looking for an exciting Sunday.  USA probably will have to win, not halve, 8 of 12 matches.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Europe has won 10 of last 11 matches, ridiculous.

Next Ryder Cup:

Phil gone:  Add Xander Shauffle
Tiger gone: Add Daniel Berger
Bubba/Webb: Add Patrick Cantley

This years rookies will learn, Thomas a stud, Koepka great, Finau, Dechambeau get better. 

Reed won Masters, ranked 16th in world, but no top ten since May and has been brutal. One writer said he might not have won third flight at his club championship. Who knows. 

Very disappointed was looking for an exciting Sunday.  USA probably will have to win, not halve, 8 of 12 matches.

Reed has not been playing well, but as established, he was a Ryder Cup stud in his career until then. Tiger was as hot as any golfer in the world, but he has been bad. I think the most interesting footnote to Tiger’s career will be that outside of 2010, he has been very mediocre in the Ryder Cup

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
Webb Simpson has been brilliant, he should've been playing every match considering this course might as well be called Le Sawgrass National.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
US team has to hire somebody to carry a bucket and follow Tiger around. He's peeing down his leg so much that it's making a mess.

That having been said, he was a total no-brainer for Furyk. Nobody has played consistently better the last 2-3 months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Tiger continues to not be that great in the Ryder Cup

Now 13-20-3 after today

USA has never won trailing by this much going into Sunday on the road.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
Going 2-2 in the afternoon to keep it at 10-6 mattered IMHO. If they fell behind 11-5, they would have to have gone 9-3 tomorrow. Now they "only" have to go 8-4. It's only one fewer win necessary, but for some reason it seems a lot "easier" (for lack of better word) for them to go 8-4 than 9-3.

Still an incredibly high mountain to climb on the road. I'll be umpiring youth baseball and will miss it, so I'll have to see the highlights.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
They don't have to win, just tie.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »
They don't have to win, just tie.

I was hoping they would bother to simply show up, which we didn't.  Bad performance across the pond, again.  Tiger, MIA. Phil, brutal.
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
The European team is good.   The US team came in without anybody playing lights out, except Tiger, who is/was gassed.   Europe showed how to set up a course to neutralize length off of the tee.    Water.   Narrow fairways.   Thickest rough where the bombers tend to miss.    That course is the answer whenever you hear hand-wringing about the ball going too far.   If you set up a course to make 'bomb-and-gouge' impossible, then the ball doesn't go too far. 
 Who played well?    JT and Finau.   Both are bombers.    Both found a way to hit fairways.     Fairways=success.   Rough=failure.  Pretty simple.    Also, Tiger is death in Ryder Cups.    The two wins this century are when he sat.     Terrible partner.   Europeans sky high to beat him in singles.   

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »
Tiger            0-4
Dechambeau 0-3
Phil              0-2
Dustin          1-4   

Thats ugly.

Tiger has only been part of one Ryder Cup win, 1999.

Another weird stat, Speith is 0-6 in singles play in all the Ryder/Presidents Cup he has played. 

Next Cup, new players.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Tiger            0-4
Dechambeau 0-3
Phil              0-2
Dustin          1-4   

Thats ugly.

Tiger has only been part of one Ryder Cup win, 1999.

Another weird stat, Speith is 0-6 in singles play in all the Ryder/Presidents Cup he has played. 

Next Cup, new players.   

You're going to keep the #1 player in the world at home? And the hottest young golfer in the PGA?

Hmm. Phil and Tiger are done though, unless Tiger makes it on points in 2020.

Nice part about 2020, there will be a month between the Tour Championship and the Ryder Cup.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
You're going to keep the #1 player in the world at home? And the hottest young golfer in the PGA?

Hmm. Phil and Tiger are done though, unless Tiger makes it on points in 2020.

Nice part about 2020, there will be a month between the Tour Championship and the Ryder Cup.

I must have missed the part where I stated to leave DJ and Dechambeau off the team. 

Like said earlier, Phil done and lets see how Tiger holds up for two years.  Maybe a Simpson (played great this time)or Bubba, doesn't qualify in two years.  Then new blood, like a Daniel Berger, Xander Schauffle and Patrick Cantley. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
Ultimately, Furyk took 9-10-11 and  Finau.  What would have happened if he had left Tiger and Phil off for Xander , Kisner, Bradley, or Stanley?  Please. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
I must have missed the part where I stated to leave DJ and Dechambeau off the team. 

Like said earlier, Phil done and lets see how Tiger holds up for two years.  Maybe a Simpson (played great this time)or Bubba, doesn't qualify in two years.  Then new blood, like a Daniel Berger, Xander Schauffle and Patrick Cantley. 

My mistake, I thought the players listed should be replaced by new players.

I'm most irritated by a guy like Rickie. Veteran, that actually has success hitting fairways just completely shut down. I wasn't thrilled with the DJ pairing, thought him and Webb would be a great pairing. Rick gets it on the fairway and Webb is lethal from there. Then Rick can't even keep it out of the water against Sergio, a guy that didn't make the FedEx Cup playoffs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Rickie missed two Fed Ed events with a strained oblique.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
Ultimately, Furyk took 9-10-11 and  Finau.  What would have happened if he had left Tiger and Phil off for Xander , Kisner, Bradley, or Stanley?  Please. 

Kisner, especially, would've had a better game for the course. The rest, meh. Maybe a case for Xander. Keegan and Stanley, nah.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Rickie missed two Fed Ed events with a strained oblique.

And played decent at East Lake.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
I like Kisner.  Pretend it is a month ago.  Now make a case for him ahead of Tiger, Phil, or Bryson. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »
I like Kisner.  Pretend it is a month ago.  Now make a case for him ahead of Tiger, Phil, or Bryson. 

Top tens at The Open and PGA. Led The Open for 54 holes.

I'm not taking him over Tiger or Bryson.

Phil MC at PGA and the Players. Almost missed The Open. His entire game was never going to be a factor at Le Golf this weekend.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »

Thats golf, you just never know who is going to play at a sustained level of excellence for three days.  Maybe Xander played and did a Tommy Fleetwood.  You don't know. Picks are made in strange ways, to appease the older players, heck and even the media and fans.  Furyk had to go with Tiger, Bryson and Finau, but Phil should have stayed home, he was the sentimental pick and was playing terrible.  If Rickie was injured and not 100%, he should have told Furyk and stayed home. Reed was in a super funk and didn't work out that good, well Sergio was in bigger funk and he came out of it. I am a big proponent to start selecting these young guns and getting them experience for the future Ryder/Presidents.  Berger played great on Presidents Cup, Schauffle, Cantley, and even guys who are around 30, like Stanley, Kisner and Bradley.

We'll see how next two years go and how the probable captain Stricker sees it.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »
The European team is good.   The US team came in without anybody playing lights out, except Tiger, who is/was gassed.   Europe showed how to set up a course to neutralize length off of the tee.    Water.   Narrow fairways.   Thickest rough where the bombers tend to miss.    That course is the answer whenever you hear hand-wringing about the ball going too far.   If you set up a course to make 'bomb-and-gouge' impossible, then the ball doesn't go too far. 
 Who played well?    JT and Finau.   Both are bombers.    Both found a way to hit fairways.     Fairways=success.   Rough=failure.  Pretty simple.    Also, Tiger is death in Ryder Cups.    The two wins this century are when he sat.     Terrible partner.   Europeans sky high to beat him in singles.   

I agree with this analysis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
Rough year for Phil.

He had one win early and a handful of top-10s - something many golfers would kill for - but many golfers aren't the great Phil Mickelson.

His best finish in any of the majors was a tie for 24th, he intentionally hit his golf ball when it was moving during the U.S. Open, he missed the cut at the PGA, and he was terrible in the Ryder Cup.

Pretty fitting that his season ended with him hitting the ball in the water and having to concede the match to Molinari that officially delivered the Ryder Cup to Europe.

Hell of a career, obviously, but he's 48 and, for all intents and purposes, he's toast.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 07:13:50 AM »
Europe had a good team.  They played better and deserved to win.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 10:54:30 AM »

1. DeChambeau had won two of the previous four tournaments. That's at least a single light out.

2. Europe didn't have a "lights out" player on the squad yet they elevated their game.

3. Woods didn't look gassed on Friday. Played pretty well. He got gassed from carrying Reed's plumpy ass which is why Molinari rolled him.

4. The US will win a Ryder Cup here and there but until the long shadow cast by fawning over Woods (and the subsequent trail of tears left by those who were the "next big thing") is finally erased the Americans will always find themselves far too selfish to legitimately buy in to the team concept needed to be dynastic like the Europeans have been this past quarter century.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Europeans always appear to have a chip on their shoulder that the Americans lack. They are also able to set aside ego. Further, generally, they are more accurate and better ball strikers. This helps significantly with alternate shot. They also (much as the Americans do) set up their home courses to their strengths.

American captains need to play the most consistent/accurate guys in alternate. Play your birdie guys in fourball/singles.

I would also argue that anyone in the running for a Ryder cup position (if able) should play in a tournament at the course in the season before. (Coincedence that Finau played in the French Open there and played well at the Ryder cup?)

Lastly, interesting NYT piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/sports/golf/ryder-cup-europe-united-states-egos.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
I don't know how poorly the bottom half of the European team was playing going into the Ryder Cup but our guys looked awful. Spieth fell apart and didn't make the final tournament. Mickelson, Watson, Reed and Koepka made the final 30 - and finished 30th, 29th, 28th, and 27th - a combined 36 over par. Fowler was hurt and Tiger (never very good at the Ryder Cup even when he was head and shoulders above the pack) was gassed. The course was familiar to the Europeans and laid out to their liking. The crowd was large and boisterous. World rankings aside, I saw very little to be encouraged about going in and things went pretty much as expected.

tower912

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »
For the most part, the US looks at the Ryder Cup as an exhibition. The Europeans ,for the most part, look at it like a major. I think that explains a lot of the results since Continental Europe was added to the event. I agree that Europe has more chip on the shoulder guys. Overall it has  probably  been better for Golf worldwide that the Euros have had so much success in this event.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2018-twelve-men-one-team-why-europe-succeeds-where-america-fails-shane-ryan

Cultural (?)

Very interesting article. The old joke used to be that the European team arrived together on a jet and the Americans arrived separately on their own jets.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 09:03:26 PM »
Very interesting article. The old joke used to be that the European team arrived together on a jet and the Americans arrived separately on their own jets.
Another interesting article on the same topic from a very good golf writer .
https://nypost.com/2018/10/01/the-real-reason-the-ryder-cup-is-an-american-humiliation/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
I don't know about some of this stuff.

"Team play"? "Chips on shoulders"? "Exhibitions"? Really?

Great golfers try to hit great golf shots. The best thrive under pressure. It makes no sense that a guy who is able to do what Koepka did down the stretch of 2 majors would fold at a Ryder Cup. I just don't think they have played well enough, especially in Europe where many of the courses don't fit their grip-it-rip-it game.

I guess I can believe that one or two players might be such a-holes that nobody wants to play with them and they can bring down the group ... but it's still hard to believe that Reed being Tiger's partner prevented Bubba or DeChambeau from playing well.

When the Americans have won Ryder Cups or President's Cups, they sure look like they have cared a hell of a lot. They celebrate and party like they just won the Masters times 10, not some meaningless exhibition.

They all want to be on the Ryder Cup team even though they don't get paid. Is it just an ego thing? They don't really care about it?

I dunno ... I have trouble trying to pretend to get in people's heads most of the time. There are enough cobwebs in my own!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
Oh, and BTW ... I can't wait for Tiger vs. Phil on pay-per-view.

Pay-per-view ... that means they're gonna pay us to watch them, right?

Still doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
Europeans always appear to have a chip on their shoulder that the Americans lack. They are also able to set aside ego. Further, generally, they are more accurate and better ball strikers. This helps significantly with alternate shot. They also (much as the Americans do) set up their home courses to their strengths.

American captains need to play the most consistent/accurate guys in alternate. Play your birdie guys in fourball/singles.

I would also argue that anyone in the running for a Ryder cup position (if able) should play in a tournament at the course in the season before. (Coincedence that Finau played in the French Open there and played well at the Ryder cup?)

Lastly, interesting NYT piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/sports/golf/ryder-cup-europe-united-states-egos.html

Furyk, and a few players, got the most agitated in the press conference when asked why the majority of the American team avoided the French Open in July.

Whether it's due to arrogance or indifference, the evasive answers given to that question seemed to illuminate the point you made that they missed a large opportunity to spend five to six days at the course hosting the Ryder Cup. They chose not to and got humiliated as a result.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
Oh, and BTW ... I can't wait for Tiger vs. Phil on pay-per-view.

Pay-per-view ... that means they're gonna pay us to watch them, right?

Still doesn't sound like a very good deal.

I'm still going to get it. I think it's going to be a great presentation of golf. Everyone mic'd up. Shot Tracer on every shot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
I don't know about some of this stuff.

"Team play"? "Chips on shoulders"? "Exhibitions"? Really?

Great golfers try to hit great golf shots. The best thrive under pressure. It makes no sense that a guy who is able to do what Koepka did down the stretch of 2 majors would fold at a Ryder Cup. I just don't think they have played well enough, especially in Europe where many of the courses don't fit their grip-it-rip-it game.

I guess I can believe that one or two players might be such a-holes that nobody wants to play with them and they can bring down the group ... but it's still hard to believe that Reed being Tiger's partner prevented Bubba or DeChambeau from playing well.

When the Americans have won Ryder Cups or President's Cups, they sure look like they have cared a hell of a lot. They celebrate and party like they just won the Masters times 10, not some meaningless exhibition.

They all want to be on the Ryder Cup team even though they don't get paid. Is it just an ego thing? They don't really care about it?

I dunno ... I have trouble trying to pretend to get in people's heads most of the time. There are enough cobwebs in my own!

The heavy spin has begun.  Reed didn't do himself any favors (per usual) but now people are starting to pile on.  There was "anonymous" player quotes from the US team blasting Reed as a liar and saying he didn't understand/know how to play team golf in defense of Tiger.  Which would make sense except for Reed's fantastic record in previous Ryder Cups and pair of NCAA team titles in college.  Reed is an ass and not likeable other than his ruthless game, but his record speaks for himself and he's been honest to a fault on tour.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
The heavy spin has begun.  Reed didn't do himself any favors (per usual) but now people are starting to pile on.  There was "anonymous" player quotes from the US team blasting Reed as a liar and saying he didn't understand/know how to play team golf in defense of Tiger.  Which would make sense except for Reed's fantastic record in previous Ryder Cups and pair of NCAA team titles in college.  Reed is an ass and not likeable other than his ruthless game, but his record speaks for himself and he's been honest to a fault on tour.

Good take. This is all so silly, like freakin' middle school.

As for those who say U.S. players aren't "psyched" enough ... golf is one of those sports in which getting too psyched is bad. It's not like you want to slam your head into the locker and then come out and kill the QB. You have to be calm in golf. Too much thinking kills you. It's like when I ump youth baseball and one of the coaches screams at a kid, "Bobby, you HAVE to RELAX!" Cracks me up. As I said earlier, Americans seem plenty psyched when they're playing well.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »

The stuff with Reed was utterly predictable though. As much as people loved his Captain American shtick, his entire golfing career has been defined by his go-it-alone attitude. Fans needed to realize the minute his performance suffered in the Ryder Cup, he was going to throw people under the bus. Sure enough, he did.

The biggest issue I see for the American team is how fans and media believe that they are vastly more talented than their European counterparts, when it simply isn't true. Going into the Ryder Cup, the average world ranking for the US team was 11. It was 19 for the European team. To me, that's not a significance difference. Yet, the U.S. carries the burden of playing with the expectations of being the favorite, when in fact, its a very even match-up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:43:14 PM by RJax55 »

jesmu84

• All American

jesmu84

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2018, 07:38:57 AM »
So... Europe played like a team and the US acted like whiny high schoolers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:44:49 AM by tower912 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
The European team seems like a helluva a lot more fun to me. I always pull for the Americans, but think I like the Euro team style more. Tommy Fleetwood is rapidly becoming becoming a favorite of mine. I wish the American young guys enjoyed the moment like Tommy does.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
The European team seems like a helluva a lot more fun to me. I always pull for the Americans, but think I like the Euro team style more. Tommy Fleetwood is rapidly becoming becoming a favorite of mine. I wish the American young guys enjoyed the moment like Tommy does.

Tommy is very likeable. His caddy being enormous is one of my favorite parts.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »

Did you miss Jordan Reed at the last Presidents or Ryder cup?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
Did you miss Jordan Reed at the last Presidents or Ryder cup?

I don't think Jordan was having fun.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
I'm still going to get it. I think it's going to be a great presentation of golf. Everyone mic'd up. Shot Tracer on every shot.

I wouldn't watch it if it were on regular TV.

I'm trrying to figure out how much Tiger and Phil would have to pay me to watch it. Maybe $100 - that would be about $25/hour for my time, and it would buy me and Mrs. 82 a nice dinner.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
jesmu84

Maybe your idea of enjoying the moment is different than mine. Tommy is my kind of cat, Reed is not.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »

Agree with this, and I think we're starting to see a little more of this with Spieth, Thomas, Fowler and some of the other guys that are buddies. I was listening to a radio interview Monday morning (can't remember who) and he was saying that when you're at the clubhouse bar on nights after practice rounds, the Americans are having a beer, being friendly, and there's a table of Euros in the corner made up of guys who don't expect to win that week but are blitzed, laughing to beat hell and playing cards all night. I think that bears out more during Ryder Cup week than any other time.  I hope golf media doesn't Tiger-shame the next generation of guys into having to choose between being friends and being taken seriously - you see with the NBA and comparing everyone to Jordan.  Instead, my vote is for more of this:

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
I don't think Jordan was having fun.

Well played

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
One of the spectators lost her eye by a ball hit from Brooks Koepka.  The eyeball exploded.  Apparently she is considering a lawsuit. Tragic for her, no other way to say it.  Golfers can't control golf balls as well as we think they can. Unless they plan on putting up nets or something, how to protect spectators?  The risk one takes and deeply unfortunate for her.  Solution?

https://www.tmz.com/2018/10/02/ryder-cup-brooks-koepka-eyeball-exploded/
— Plato

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
Oh man, the nets thing again Cheekz? I remember a guy on my hall in McCormick who would sit and perseverate on like three topics (unfortunately, metal music was one of them). And every conversation with him, regardless of how it started, would always funnel into one of those three topics, just so he could just re-state his opinions that we'd all heard a billion times. It won't surprise you to know that he didn't have a lot of visitors.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Oh man, the nets thing again Cheekz? I remember a guy on my hall in McCormick who would sit and perseverate on like three topics (unfortunately, metal music was one of them). And every conversation with him, regardless of how it started, would always funnel into one of those three topics, just so he could just re-state his opinions that we'd all heard a billion times. It won't surprise you to know that he didn't have a lot of visitors.

The nets thing again?
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
The more that comes out from this I think exposes 2 things:

1. No one on the tour/team likes Patrick Reed
2. Reed's wife is a psycho

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
The more that comes out from this I think exposes 2 things:

1. No one on the tour/team likes Patrick Reed
2. Reed's wife is a psycho

Those are both not new facts.  I don't know the affect on his golf game, but his wife has been a pretty wild influence on him overall.  Feels like it took all of the negative personality traits he had in youth golf/college (which could be overcome as many people are idiots when young and grow out of it) and amplified and exacerbated them by isolating him further and making even more of a me vs the world mentality with her in his ear.  Maybe they are perfect for each other.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Those are both not new facts.  I don't know the affect on his golf game, but his wife has been a pretty wild influence on him overall.  Feels like it took all of the negative personality traits he had in youth golf/college (which could be overcome as many people are idiots when young and grow out of it) and amplified and exacerbated them by isolating him further and making even more of a me vs the world mentality with her in his ear.  Maybe they are perfect for each other.

It's not just her. He's got her brother carrying his bag and his mother-in-law is a travel manager. Patrick Reed has been captured.