[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lawyer Help - Car Contract Question  (Read 19908 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Lawyer Help - Car Contract Question
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Solid rip, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
My god man. Have you learned nothing in this thread—you paid for that key fob.

Ok, the first 4 key fobs, I paid for.  The 5th one is free.   8-)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
My god man. Have you learned nothing in this thread—you paid for that key fob.

Chick and glow are going to kick topper's ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
I bought a 3 year old minivan this spring and .. gasp .. bought the extended warranty.  5 years, $500 a year.  Our last minivan (same model) .. years 5-6-7-8 were rough.  Expensive things broke.  We easily spent $2500 on it in its last few years, and it needed more when I dumped it.

One thing .. the minivan I was purchasing had zero warranty.  If I drove it off the lot and found the sunroof was inoperable, I had zero recourse.  The extended warranty had a 30 day full-refund cancellation policy .. so I figured it was a free way to get a 30 day warranty.  I could cancel on Day 29 .. but I kept it.

One other bonus to the EW .. free key-fob replacement for any reason.  Those damn things are $600 to replace.  BOTH of my previous fobs were non-functional when got rid of the old car.    I am totally getting a few new ones out of this.

You can buy fobs on the interweb and program them yourself for about $50.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
Chick and glow are going to kick topper's ass.
I broke a key fob trying to open a bottle of beer with it. Glow was not happy.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
You can buy fobs on the interweb and program them yourself for about $50.

I did search the internet .. sure, the basic fobs might be $50, but the keyless ones started at $180, and you still needed programming.  There were instructions to program the regular fobs .. every hacker page I saw for the smart key said I had to go to the dealer. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
I did search the internet .. sure, the basic fobs might be $50, but the keyless ones started at $180, and you still needed programming.  There were instructions to program the regular fobs .. every hacker page I saw for the smart key said I had to go to the dealer.

We just bought one for a traverse. $50, and programmed it to our car. 

Son bought one from dealer for $60 from dealer and programmed it for a 2003 Tahoe. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »
We just bought one for a traverse. $50, and programmed it to our car. 

Son bought one from dealer for $60 from dealer and programmed it for a 2003 Tahoe.

Fob or Electric Key for Push Start?
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
Fob or Electric Key for Push Start?

Fob

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2018, 10:47:17 PM »
I broke a key fob trying to open a bottle of beer with it. Glow was not happy.

Silly chickadee ... that's what teeth are for!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »

Our service department needs to use what they call a "tech 2," to program your proximity remote; (it takes them about 15 minutes, and you definitely need the tool). 

If you purchase the replacement key from our parts dept, our service department will program it for free.

If you bought your key from the interwebs, but bought your vehicle from me, I'll argue with service on your behalf and get it programmed for free.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
Our service department needs to use what they call a "tech 2," to program your proximity remote; (it takes them about 15 minutes, and you definitely need the tool). 

If you purchase the replacement key from our parts dept, our service department will program it for free.

If you bought your key from the interwebs, but bought your vehicle from me, I'll argue with service on your behalf and get it programmed for free.

WI Inferiority is a good man.   :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »
(nh), hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
Glow and I had a horrible experience at Russ Darrow a couple of years back.

We were looking for a specific model of used car with low miles.  Darrow had advertised what we wanted at a price that was so good (we had done our homework) we had already decided that we weren't going to kill ourselves haggling.  Glow confirmed the price via email with the dealership.

We get there, test drive it, and tell them we are interested.  The salesperson gives us his initial price quote - $2,000 over the advertised one.  When we give him the WTF look, the salesman says, "That price assumes you had a $2,000 trade-in, and since you don't..."  Glow showed him our written quote, and the salesperson tried to claim that the trade-in requirement was covered under "other charges apply" or some such B.S.

Glow told him that unless he wanted us to call the Attorney General on Monday morning, he had better honor the original price.  They backed down, but as punishment, they made us cool our heels in the waiting area for several hours because the business manager was "busy".  We sat next to a guy that they had pulled the same "trade-in" crap on, who admitted that he caved and was paying $1500 over the quoted price.

When we finally see the business manager, he hands us an extended warranty and asks us to check the box next to the one we wanted.  When we said "none", he spent a lot of time trying to tell us what a dumb decision that would be before he finally gave up.  The form didn't even have an option of declining an extended warranty; he had to write it in.

After all the paperwork was completed, we sat it the waiting room waiting for them to actually bring the car around.  We finally had to ask someone, "Where is our freaking car?".  You know how it's traditional to drive the car up, and make a big deal about opening the doors, helping you in, showing you some basic dashboard functions?  They basically threw the keys at us.  All in all, we spent six full hours at the dealership for a transaction that shouldn't have taken more than an hour and a half.

We had very pleasant experiences with the purchase of several cars before that (at other dealerships) so I guess we assumed that the old-school slimy dealerships were a thing of the past.  Apparently not.

I just went through a lengthy car buying process, and your experience is typical, not an exception.

I paid cash and it was 3+ hours. No way a car purchase is ever 90 minutes, unfortunately.

I went to 4 different dealers, had experiences that ranged from crapty to ridiculous. One dealer refused to not let me finance, despite telling them ahead of time I wanted to pay cash. I left on principle, even though I could have financed and paid it off right away. Another one the car had 2,000 more miles than advertised (the manager had been driving it). They knocked a whole $200 off, and wouldn't budge any further.

Car buying sucks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
I dug up the old thread.  https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=52256.0  It would seem that my memory with the email/fax strategy is more optimistic than what actually happened... turns out I only had two offers in hand when I went to the dealer (I recall now that we ordered on a Friday and I received a third offer on either Saturday or Monday).

That said, I will amend and clarify my earlier sentiment... the car ordering experience couldn't have gone any smoother.  The delivery of said car was a pain in the ass, both in relative and absolute terms and took waaaaayyy too long.

My template is here: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=52256.0;attach=6445  Bear in mind, this was designed for ordering a new car that dealers typically don't have on the lot, e.g. a specific combination of color, options, accessories, trim package, etc.  The more general you are with your requirements, the more the template needs to be changed.  Even if you're looking for something less specific but still something that most dealers don't have on the lot, if it can be "transferred" from another dealership (instead of ordered from the factory), you may not get competition in the bidding if you have a bunch of dealers offering to transfer you the same car.

However, if you truly want to go shopping, you might increase your response rate simply by specifying make, model, and either color and/or trim... you'll might get a whole slew of different responses and options to look at, but identifying the best "deal" is going to be next to impossible since you'll be comparing different versions of the same car with differing options, accessories, etc.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
I just went through a lengthy car buying process, and your experience is typical, not an exception.

I paid cash and it was 3+ hours. No way a car purchase is ever 90 minutes, unfortunately.

I went to 4 different dealers, had experiences that ranged from crapty to ridiculous. One dealer refused to not let me finance, despite telling them ahead of time I wanted to pay cash. I left on principle, even though I could have financed and paid it off right away. Another one the car had 2,000 more miles than advertised (the manager had been driving it). They knocked a whole $200 off, and wouldn't budge any further.

Car buying sucks.

Unfortunately, if we walk away from every deal "on principle," we'd never buy a car!

Seriously, I have had a couple of decent deals, although even they took too long and there still were shenanigans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson