[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU82, get the waders out  (Read 9300 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU82, get the waders out
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
Here is the latest Charlotte Observer article on the hurricane:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article218127865.html?#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter&id=bWlrZW5hZGVsQHNiY2dsb2JhbC5uZXQ=

It looks like we in Charlotte will be spared anything too horrific, but we should get a good soaking, some flooding near bodies of water, some wind damage, perhaps some power outages, etc.

Of course, the direction could change, the storm could strengthen, the storm could stall and sit right on top of a region, etc.

As the S.C. governor said: "As we have been predicting, the hurricane is unpredictable."

You know ... I predicted he would say that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
I do recall having seen something - in fact, it may have been on Scoop where I saw the link posted - within the last few years about how either FEMA or NFIP is being gamed by certain property owners along the coasts.  Coupled with legitimate claims that are being denied by the programs, and there's no arguing that things are a mess.

To the extent that owners/developers are over-building, in cost or quantity, in high-risk areas, is it unfair to ask why NFIP and FEMA are subsidizing these activities, be it in whole or part?   If someone builds a multi-million dollar residence right on the coast in hurricane alley, why should that be insured - again, in whole or part - by taxpayers?

I find it hard to sympathize with people who knowingly put life or property in harm's way and then claim to be the victim when disaster - inevitably - hits.  As far as I'm concerned, science has nothing to do with it, and this isn't a NC problem by any stretch, it's a problem up and down the coasts.

NFIP limits coverage to $250,000 for homeowners and $500k for commercial.  If you need higher limits on flood coverage, you have to go to private insurance, and that's not subsidized by the tax payer.  Read:  Excess market isn't cheap.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
On my first work visit to the SF area, I had a day off so I took a ride around 17 Mile Dr, where Pebble Beach, Cypress Point, other big-time golf tracks and lots of zillion-dollar homes are.

I was taken in by the beauty of much of the drive, but I also couldn't believe how close some houses were to the Pacific Ocean.

I'm thinking: "Well, this place has a devastating earthquake every few years, but some of these people are building $10 million houses on stilts practically leading right into the ocean?"

Craziness.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »
Here is what Jesmu was referring to in his post

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/north-carolina-sea-level-rise-hurricane-florence_us_5b985a87e4b0162f4731da0e

There are many other articles about what the state did, but this one ties it together with the current situation.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
South Carolina is not evacuating prions in the "red zone." Should they be required to?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
NFIP limits coverage to $250,000 for homeowners and $500k for commercial.  If you need higher limits on flood coverage, you have to go to private insurance, and that's not subsidized by the tax payer.  Read:  Excess market isn't cheap.

Tell me about it!

My thoughts to MU82. Be safe and stay dry.

Same to everyone else in the Carolinas this week. Been there, done that with our Florida home.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
South Carolina is not evacuating prions in the "red zone." Should they be required to?

I think it depends an awful lot on whether the inmates (and staff) are at risk.  I have absolutely no idea if they are or not.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »

For a second there, I thought you were re-entering the thread with the vengeance of an evil Bob Barker clone leading the militant wing of PETA... that is, until I realized "prions" it was a typo (thanks to SAW) and not a reference to saving the whalebirds.

Answer is clearly no.  Obviously, prisons are built to a construction standard exponentially greater than your typical residential or commercial building that naturally make them able to withstand hurricane-force winds and rain events, both physically and an emergency power generation.  There's hardly anything within the cells that are prone to flood or surge damage, and any ongoing IAQ threats (e.g. mold) are a non-issue since cells - by design - can be easily, quickly and systematically disinfected after the storm has passed.

In all honesty, the safest place during a hurricane - other than 1,000 miles away - is probably a prison, closely followed by a 911 call/dispatch center or emergency services building.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
For a second there, I thought you were re-entering the thread with the vengeance of an evil Bob Barker clone leading the militant wing of PETA... that is, until I realized "prions" it was a typo (thanks to SAW) and not a reference to saving the whalebirds.

Answer is clearly no.  Obviously, prisons are built to a construction standard exponentially greater than your typical residential or commercial building that naturally make them able to withstand hurricane-force winds and rain events, both physically and an emergency power generation.  There's hardly anything within the cells that are prone to flood or surge damage, and any ongoing IAQ threats (e.g. mold) are a non-issue since cells - by design - can be easily, quickly and systematically disinfected after the storm has passed.

In all honesty, the safest place during a hurricane - other than 1,000 miles away - is probably a prison, closely followed by a 911 call/dispatch center or emergency services building.

Ha. My bad.

While I understand what you mean about the building itself, I would say they are at risk. Check out what happened with Katrina:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gjdxn/hurricane-katrina-was-a-nightmare-for-inmates-in-new-orleans-829

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »
Ha. My bad.

While I understand what you mean about the building itself, I would say they are at risk. Check out what happened with Katrina:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gjdxn/hurricane-katrina-was-a-nightmare-for-inmates-in-new-orleans-829

I think everyone would agree that Katrina was a cluster-f all the way around.  But what's the alternative?  It's not like there's an empty prison sitting somewhere waiting to receive inmates, and you're sure as hell not going to let everyone out on the promise they come back when the storm is over.

That said, I understand where you're coming from.  I'm sure the risk to the public of releasing inmates would inevitably lead to a massive payday for trial lawyers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
IMO it's difficult to look to Katrina for comps as so much of what happened in NOLA was the result of the levees failing causing flooding vs. other hurricanes with a storm surge that will recede.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Tell me about it!

My thoughts to MU82. Be safe and stay dry.

Same to everyone else in the Carolinas this week. Been there, done that with our Florida home.

Thanks, my friend.

I am going to start serious storm preparations in about an hour, when I will meet my buddies for our weekly Thursday gathering at the Carolina Beer Temple. Must properly lubricate the brain before the shyte hits the fan!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 09:37:59 PM »
Thanks, my friend.

I am going to start serious storm preparations in about an hour, when I will meet my buddies for our weekly Thursday gathering at the Carolina Beer Temple. Must properly lubricate the brain before the shyte hits the fan!

You are welcome Brother MU.

Enjoy your contributions on Scooper. See you when the storm passes. My thoughts are with you and your family and friends down there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
Latest forecasts say we probably will get more rain than originally thought, could be a foot or more.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried that we'll suffer some pretty bad water damage. That, combined with possible extended power outages due to the rain/wind mix, would be most unpleasant.

Trying to stay prepared and positive. I know that, in the long run, we're a lot more fortunate than many.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »
Latest forecasts say we probably will get more rain than originally thought, could be a foot or more.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried that we'll suffer some pretty bad water damage. That, combined with possible extended power outages due to the rain/wind mix, would be most unpleasant.

Trying to stay prepared and positive. I know that, in the long run, we're a lot more fortunate than many.

Good luck.  Keep us up to date if you have power/internet.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
My aunt and uncle in Myrtle Beach evacuated a few days ago.
My cousin in Myrtle Beach spent yesterday posting photos about great surfing waves and today about buckling down.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGcXhAxrhw

{Can someone embed this?}

Archie and 82 out for a liquor store run, apparently.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 05:44:28 AM »

I'm pretty sure he used to play soccer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:52 AM »
Storm downgraded to a tropical depression because the winds are not as severe. It's pouring, though, and expected to come down in sheets most of the day. Still a little worried about flooding, but our yard and the surrounding environs seem to be absorbing everything so far.

The other good news is that the storm has picked up a little speed, so it's moving more quickly away from areas rather than just sitting over them for extended periods. Hopefully, this will reduce flooding in any one region and will keep more people safe and dry.

On another site I frequent (an investing site), lots of posters seem disappointed that more people haven't died ("only 14 so far - big deal"), and that there hasn't been more devastation overall. Their reaction would be funny if it wasn't so d-baggy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
More will be found dead.  Thankfully, most evacuated.  Enough didn't that the number is sure to increase.  Maria's death toll escalated over time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:50:07 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »

Actually, the guy's last name is Davison.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/oWGcXhAxrhw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/oWGcXhAxrhw</a>

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »
More will be found dead.  Thankfully, most evacuated.  Enough didn't that the number is sure to increase.  Maria's death toll escalated over time.

Fake news

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
My latest storm update:

We live in the Charlotte suburb that got soaked the most Sunday: 10.4 inches. Lucky us!

But I am very happy to report that as of now, not a drop of water got into our house. The areas of our lot I feared most for flooding did a great job of absorbing the worst that Mother Nature could throw at it. Plus, as a very pleasant surprise, we didn't lose power at all. (Unfortunately, that let me watch my Panthers lose; fortunately, it let me watch the Patriots lose, too!)

There are numerous streets in our area closed by flooding, fallen trees, etc, and my wife isn't sure she will be able to get to work tomorrow. But that's a small price to pay compared to those who weren't as fortunate.

Thanks again to those who wished us well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »
Fake news

Depends on your definition of fake news. The counts did go up as more victims were discovered, and the failures by the government to restore the infrastructure led to more deaths.

I think the latter part is the real issue. Of course people were going to die in the storm, but the job of the government in a situation like that is to get things back up and running ASAP so that the death toll isn't exacerbated by circumstances that are reparable. That the death toll increased due to government inaction is pretty damning, in my opinion.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback