[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU82, get the waders out  (Read 9376 times)

tower912

• All American
MU82, get the waders out
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »
No, this is not political.    Be safe down there.   I hope you are on high ground.    Florence is not to be confused with the actress who played Mrs. Brady.   This one looks like a bitch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: MU82, get the waders out
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
I'm a little closer to the coast than 82, but am not worried because the liquor store got in a shipment of Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Two by Two Rye this week.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
Ditto.  And how 'bout a shout out for the first responders?  Millions leave, a select few get orders to rush in.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
I'm a little closer to the coast than 82, but am not worried because the liquor store got in a shipment of Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Two by Two Rye this week.

In that case, don't float away before the storm even hits!
Stay safe all.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
Make sure you take the Devil's Night tree decorations off the neighbor's tree ;)

Be safe.  Scary stuff.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »
My daughter got her first job and I am driving a U-haul to suburban Baltimore this weekend.   Cool.   I will now get to cross 'drive a light, slab sided truck through gale winds and driving, flooding rains' off of my bucket list.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
My daughter got her first job and I am driving a U-haul to suburban Baltimore this weekend.   Cool.   I will now get to cross 'drive a light, slab sided truck through gale winds and driving, flooding rains' off of my bucket list.

Good luck.  That will not be any fun.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »

Alcohol is also my plan for sustenance.  The grocery store shelves emptied out yesterday, and I wasn't standing in line for an hour to buy some chips and a can of tuna.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Alcohol is also my plan for sustenance.  The grocery store shelves emptied out yesterday, and I wasn't standing in line for an hour to buy some chips and a can of tuna.

While I did buy a few items at the grocery store yesterday, the only water left was seltzer (although I had bought several cases of water over the weekend).  The Virginia ABC store was also packed with like minded people.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
Make sure you take the Devil's Night tree decorations off the neighbor's tree ;)

Be safe.  Scary stuff.

That is funny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »
Thanks, tower (and others) for the good wishes.

In Charlotte, which is well inland, the forecast is mostly for a couple days of heavy rain and 30+ mph winds. Could be some flooding and power outages. Unpleasant, but if that's what it ends up being it won't be as bad here as it will down toward the coasts.

I will be rooting for Archies and others to get through this with minimal problem. And yes, I have also stocked up on my favorite libations to help see Mrs. 82 and me through!

For us heathens, every day is a holiday!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
I genuinely hope this passes without any significant loss of life or property.

And I certainly hope no tragedy comes from NC's decision to allow developers and officials to ignore science related to coastal building.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:42 AM »
It looks like it is going a little further south so we will miss the brunt of the storm, but the SC/NC border area will likely take a hit.  The mandatory evacuations for this storm have been quite extensive all down the coast, so hopefully most folks in that area are out of harms way.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
I genuinely hope this passes without any significant loss of life or property.

And I certainly hope no tragedy comes from NC's decision to allow developers and officials to ignore science related to coastal building.

Wow... nothing like an impending tragedy to bring out the passive-aggressive political exploitation in people, a|na?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Wow... nothing like an impending tragedy to bring out the passive-aggressive political exploitation in people, a|na?

Science isn't political.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 09:53:35 AM »
Science isn't political.

Indeed, but context is.  Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I don't think you're implying that somehow the coastal developers in NC are the cause of the hurricane... so could you elaborate on what manner of tragedy you're hoping won't happen as a result of NC's dumbassery and/or whatever NC is doing differently than other coastal developers up and down the Atlantic coast?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Be safe, all scoopers in the Carolina's

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
Indeed, but context is.  Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I don't think you're implying that somehow the coastal developers in NC are the cause of the hurricane... so could you elaborate on what manner of tragedy you're hoping won't happen as a result of NC's dumbassery and/or whatever NC is doing differently than other coastal developers up and down the Atlantic coast?

You had it mostly correct in your first post.

I hope no one is greatly effected by the hurricane, whether life or property. Further, I hope no one is put in undue harm's way because of a decision by the state to ignore scientific-based recommendations on coastal development.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
nm
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

You really gotta make everything political?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »
You had it mostly correct in your first post.

I hope no one is greatly effected by the hurricane, whether life or property. Further, I hope no one is put in undue harm's way because of a decision by the state to ignore scientific-based recommendations on coastal development.

Let me ask again... what is it that NC is doing/ignoring?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
Let me ask again... what is it that NC is doing/ignoring?

Well I'm not sure what NC is specifically doing, but allowing over development in coastal wetlands and on barrier islands is a reason why these storms get so expensive.

And the federal government subsidizes this through both the flood insurance program and the use of disaster funds.  Now I think those are both good programs IMO, but they should also be implemented with good land-use policies. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
Science isn't political.

This made me smile.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »

Well I'm not sure what NC is specifically doing, but allowing over development in coastal wetlands and on barrier islands is a reason why these storms get so expensive.

And the federal government subsidizes this through both the flood insurance program and the use of disaster funds.  Now I think those are both good programs IMO, but they should also be implemented with good land-use policies.

I do recall having seen something - in fact, it may have been on Scoop where I saw the link posted - within the last few years about how either FEMA or NFIP is being gamed by certain property owners along the coasts.  Coupled with legitimate claims that are being denied by the programs, and there's no arguing that things are a mess.

To the extent that owners/developers are over-building, in cost or quantity, in high-risk areas, is it unfair to ask why NFIP and FEMA are subsidizing these activities, be it in whole or part?   If someone builds a multi-million dollar residence right on the coast in hurricane alley, why should that be insured - again, in whole or part - by taxpayers?

I find it hard to sympathize with people who knowingly put life or property in harm's way and then claim to be the victim when disaster - inevitably - hits.  As far as I'm concerned, science has nothing to do with it, and this isn't a NC problem by any stretch, it's a problem up and down the coasts.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
I'll bow out of this thread.

We can discuss science or other topics somewhere else.

Benny, I sent you a PM.

feedback