[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 52233 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 27, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
It doesn't matter - it's just an exhibition game. All bowl games are worthless outside of the 2 semi's and the national championship.

Did you feel the same about MU's NIT games last year?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #301 on: December 27, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »

For the most part yes. Bowl Games exist just to exploit athletes and line the pockets of the bowl board (and subsequent employees) via enthusiastic alumni & shaking down universities.

I think any player who has a pro prospect should sit out for sure rather than risk your career in anything that's not playoff related (non championship bowls only - FCS & FBS tournament play).

The NIT is at least something schools make some money from but I do agree it's really just for fun and doesn't mean anything.

But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #302 on: December 27, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »

I wouldn't watch any of these exhibition games, but I am not a fan of any of the teams playing in them. I certainly can understand why a school's fans would watch the Poulin Weed-Eater Beef O Brady's Masengill Disposable Bowl, no matter how meaningless it might be. I mean, those same fans like to watch the spring intrasquad game.

While I watched MU's NIT games and wanted us to win, it really didn't matter much to me that we lost when we did. It's a tournament of also-rans, a way to get a little more run for the guys. I'd be surprised if many people who weren't fans of MU or our opponents watched any of our NIT games for more than 12 seconds.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #303 on: December 27, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »
I wouldn't watch any of these exhibition games, but I am not a fan of any of the teams playing in them. I certainly can understand why a school's fans would watch the Poulin Weed-Eater Beef O Brady's Masengill Disposable Bowl, no matter how meaningless it might be. I mean, those same fans like to watch the spring intrasquad game.

While I watched MU's NIT games and wanted us to win, it really didn't matter much to me that we lost when we did. It's a tournament of also-rans, a way to get a little more run for the guys. I'd be surprised if many people who weren't fans of MU or our opponents watched any of our NIT games for more than 12 seconds.

They may not have watched for 12 seconds but chick and I sure had a helluva good time attending all 3.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #304 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »

I sure did and it helped MU and their youth play in postseason games where you lose and go home.  The same can be said for some of these college football teams that springboard to the next season.  In my view it depends on how mature the team is, do they benefit from this type of game or are the experi need and it doesn’t matter.

As far as sitting out, I get why they do it, but is a bowl game in late December a lesser game than playing a cupcake in week 2 that they will beat by 50?  In terms of quality, no.  The onl difference is timing, which does matter because of pro prospects coming up next.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »
Ok. Will try to get this back on track.
Dexter Lawrence is one of three Clemson players who are suspended for the game vs Notre Dame after drug tests revealed trace amounts of ostarine, an anabolic performance-enhancing substance utilized primarily to generate lean muscle.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #306 on: December 27, 2018, 10:08:42 PM »
They may not have watched for 12 seconds but chick and I sure had a helluva good time attending all 3.

If I lived nearby, I'd have joined you and cheered for our Warriors right along with you, glow. Just as I would attend Marquette Madness and cheered there, too.

Ok. Will try to get this back on track.
Dexter Lawrence is one of three Clemson players who are suspended for the game vs Notre Dame after drug tests revealed trace amounts of ostarine, an anabolic performance-enhancing substance utilized primarily to generate lean muscle.

As somebody whose only favorite college football team is whichever team is playing ND in a given week, this is disappointing. I want Clemson to win, and would prefer they win by 802 points or so. And they still might.

As for Lawrence, them's the breaks. This happens every year to a few athletes who say, "I had no idea." Then they usually vow to make triple-sure they don't "accidentally" take the wrong supplements in the future. Mmm-hmm. In the end, though, this won't cost him one penny in the future; and given that he now has no chance to suffer a career-ending injury in the game, it actually could make him lots of pennies.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #307 on: December 28, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
You know what?  Bucky actually looked pretty damn good last night.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #308 on: December 28, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »

Best 7-5 team in the country?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #309 on: December 28, 2018, 09:11:32 AM »

Miami has been overrated all year.  Richt has one more year or he's going to be run out of there.  They have lost 10 of their last 16 stretching back to last year.  And the thing is, Miami really isn't that great of a program.  They haven't had a season with less than three losses for 15 years.  (Since joining the ACC.) 

And if you can't stop the run v. Wisconsin, they are going to look good.  B10 teams know this and forced UW to throw with usually terrible results for UW.  Miami couldn't do that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #310 on: December 28, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »
I'm thinking that growth on the defense side of the ball and the change at QB makes a difference.  They had looked terrible against Minny. That was back to Wisconsin football last night. I'll venture that they'll win 10 next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #311 on: December 28, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
Why will there be a change at QB?  Even though it seems like Hornibrook as been throwing INTs since the beginning of the decade, he's only a junior.

But you are correct about the defense.  Took a big step back this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #312 on: December 28, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
I have both dogs covering but both favorites winning tomorrow.  I think Bama by 10 and Clemson by 6.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #313 on: December 28, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
I got Auburn -4. Iowa State +5 and Syracuse +7, today. That Syracuse number I locked in weeks ago. Syracuse is now -3.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #314 on: December 28, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »
For the most part yes. Bowl Games exist just to exploit athletes and line the pockets of the bowl board (and subsequent employees) via enthusiastic alumni & shaking down universities.

I think any player who has a pro prospect should sit out for sure rather than risk your career in anything that's not playoff related (non championship bowls only - FCS & FBS tournament play).

The NIT is at least something schools make some money from but I do agree it's really just for fun and doesn't mean anything.

You're certainly free to that take, and I'm not trying to dissuade you from it, but if you're going to take a principled stand on the exploitation of college athletes, why only for certain bowl games? Npn-athletes line their pockets via the efforts of athletes all season long, and not just in football. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #315 on: December 28, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »
Why will there be a change at QB?  Even though it seems like Hornibrook as been throwing INTs since the beginning of the decade, he's only a junior.

But you are correct about the defense.  Took a big step back this year.

Does this new kid beat him out?  I think maybe.  Hornibrook basically sucks.  I'd make it a competition in the Spring.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #316 on: December 28, 2018, 09:34:32 PM »

Absolutely.

I said at the time I thought we should stay home. The NIT is the Not Invited Tournament. I recognize Brother Glow and Sister Chick had a great time there and we won a few games. But these games had little meaning.

In the case of college bowls, most are meaningless. I'd favor an eight team tournament with the champions of the Power Five conferences getting an automatic bye. The last three spots would be at-large. It would mean another battery of bowls would get hyper-treatment. Maybe the Bad Boy Mower Gasperilla Bowl could become a first rounder for the national championship.

Everything else -- garbage. If I was a top collegian wanting to play in the NFL the last thing I would want would be to risk injury in a meaningless, nonsensical bowl in Shreveport, LA, or a cold Yankee Stadium that's 60 percent empty. Unless, someone provided me with a $50 million insurance policy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Absolutely.

I said at the time I thought we should stay home. The NIT is the Not Invited Tournament. I recognize Brother Glow and Sister Chick had a great time there and we won a few games. But these games had little meaning.

I think it was meaningful.  The head coach certainly thinks so.

But if Rowsey wanted to skip it to avoid injury, I would have been fine with it.  Even though the chances of injury in basketball are much less than in football.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #318 on: December 28, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
Absolutely.

In the case of college bowls, most are meaningless. I'd favor an eight team tournament with the champions of the Power Five conferences getting an automatic bye. The last three spots would be at-large. It would mean another battery of bowls would get hyper-treatment. Maybe the Bad Boy Mower Gasperilla Bowl could become a first rounder for the national championship.

Everything else -- garbage. If I was a top collegian wanting to play in the NFL the last thing I would want would be to risk injury in a meaningless, nonsensical bowl in Shreveport, LA, or a cold Yankee Stadium that's 60 percent empty. Unless, someone provided me with a $50 million insurance policy.

I agree with every word of this about the bowl games. And I guess I agree about the NIT, too, but as a Marquette fan I did enjoy watching our lads (even if it was a little painful to watch an obviously hobbled Sam).

I didn't watch a single minute of any NIT game in which MU didn't play, and I didn't watch a single second of any bowl games outside of the actual playoff games.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
I agree with every word of this about the bowl games. And I guess I agree about the NIT, too, but as a Marquette fan I did enjoy watching our lads (even if it was a little painful to watch an obviously hobbled Sam).

I didn't watch a single minute of any NIT game in which MU didn't play, and I didn't watch a single second of any bowl games outside of the actual playoff games.

I didn't say I didn't watch the televised exhibition games involving our Warriors. Once the die was cast, I stood with our dudes and watched the game from the comfort of my family room in Florida. If I had been in Chicago, I likely would have been like Brother Glow and Sister Chick and attended games.

To paraphrase Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank: Once we were out, the NIT was dead to me.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
Saturday 12/29
Peach Bowl: 10 Florida vs. 7 Michigan, 11:00, ESPN - Bob Wischusen, Brock Huard, Allison Williams

Belk Bowl: South Carolina vs. Virginia, 11:00, ABC - Adam Amin, Anthony Becht, Rocky Boiman(f)

Arizona Bowl: Arkansas State vs. Nevada, 12:00, CBS SN - Rich Waltz, Aaron Murray, John Schriffen

Cotton Bowl: 3 Notre Dame vs 2 Clemson, 3:00, ESPN - Sean McDonough, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe, Tom Rinaldi

Orange Bowl: 4 Oklahoma vs. 1 Alabama, 7:00, ESPN - Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor, Laura Rutledge
-Bill Walton

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
Big ten is getting whooped by the sec

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »
Can we please leave Notre Dame out of the CFP from now on?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
Outed.....again.

#happydance

MU82

• All American
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
Love, love, love that my favorite team won big!!!

ND will NEVER win another national title. Never, ever, ever. Love it!

feedback