[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51696 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »
Haskins could go #1 overall, he’s the best draft eligible QB and looks the part, definitely passes the eye test.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
Clemson vs Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl Classic.

Alabama vs Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
Bama in a romp.

Clemson with a squeaker v. ND.  ND is better than people think.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Early lines from Vegas.

Alabama -14 Oklahoma
Clemson -11.5 Notre Dame
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Isn't NCAA Football's motto "every game matters?"  Tell UCF their last 25 games have mattered.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »
Isn't NCAA Football's motto "every game matters?"  Tell UCF their last 25 games have mattered.

They don’t. They’re not good enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
They don’t. They’re not good enough.

Yeah so the reality is the motto should be “Very few games actually matter.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Well I’ve never heard of the motto and really don’t care. UCF isn’t one of the top four teams.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
Well I’ve never heard of the motto and really don’t care. UCF isn’t one of the top four teams.

Okay.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »

UCF's nonconference regular season opponents the past two seasons, with their records:
Georgia Tech (5-6)
Maryland (4-8)
Florida International (8-5)
South Carolina State (5-6)
North Carolina (2-9)
Florida Atlantic (5-7)
Pitt (7-6)

They've played four P5 opponents, all of whom were unranked and combined for a 18-29 record. 
They can't control the strength of their conference schedule, so if they think they deserve a place at the big boy table, they better start playing the big boys. Until then, they can stop whining and declaring themselves national champions.

Serious question ... which of the four playoff teams do you believe UCF is better than?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
UCF's nonconference regular season opponents the past two seasons, with their records:
Georgia Tech (5-6)
Maryland (4-8)
Florida International (8-5)
South Carolina State (5-6)
North Carolina (2-9)
Florida Atlantic (5-7)
Pitt (7-6)

They've played four P5 opponents, all of whom were unranked and combined for a 18-29 record. 
They can't control the strength of their conference schedule, so if they think they deserve a place at the big boy table, they better start playing the big boys. Until then, they can stop whining and declaring themselves national champions.

Serious question ... which of the four playoff teams do you believe UCF is better than?

That’s cool. When you have to schedule games 4 seasons ahead of time good luck deciding which teams to try to schedule. Not sure what teams would want to play UCF but maybe you’re right and they’re just not trying to schedule anyone. I believe they had 2 games cancelled due to hurricanes the last 2 seasons.

Glad the NCAA official record book acknowledges them as National Champs last season though. I’m glad UCF went all in on mocking the NCAA.

Point of the post was don’t come out with a motto of “every game matters” when you come up with your CFP and then have a team win 25 straight games and tell them not one of those games mattered.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
Yes I’m sure all of college football has been shaken to its core because the Colley-Matrix listed UCF as national champions last year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
I think It's cool that UCF claims a title. That has been going on for the past 100 years.
-Bill Walton

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
That’s cool. When you have to schedule games 4 seasons ahead of time good luck deciding which teams to try to schedule.
None of those 4 teams have been good in awhile so not a shocker that they weren't good this year. UCF correctly wasn't and won't be in any conversation.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
None of those 4 teams have been good in awhile so not a shocker that they weren't good this year. UCF correctly wasn't and won't be in any conversation.

Well, North Carolina was. They were a top 10 team, that played in the ACC Championship Game a couple of years ago.
-Bill Walton

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
I think its unrealistic to think that any teams that project to be top 25-ish would be willing to schedule UCF in September. There just isn't any upside.

Also, loving the under on Bama-Oklahoma (79). I don't think that Saban lets it turn into a shootout. I think he slows his offense down in order to give Oklahoma fewer possessions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
That’s cool. When you have to schedule games 4 seasons ahead of time good luck deciding which teams to try to schedule. Not sure what teams would want to play UCF but maybe you’re right and they’re just not trying to schedule anyone. I believe they had 2 games cancelled due to hurricanes the last 2 seasons.

Glad the NCAA official record book acknowledges them as National Champs last season though. I’m glad UCF went all in on mocking the NCAA.

Point of the post was don’t come out with a motto of “every game matters” when you come up with your CFP and then have a team win 25 straight games and tell them not one of those games mattered.

Guess I'm confused about which excuse we're going with here. UCF's weak nonconference schedule is due to a) hurricanes, b) everybody good is afraid to play them* or c) it's hard to schedule good teams in advance*.

Speaking of things the NCAA says, when it created a playoff, its stated goal was to select the best four teams.
Do you believe UCF is one of the best four teams? If not, what's your point? Advocating for a system that rewards teams for playing weaker schedules?

* For comparison sake, Alabama in the Saban era has opened against: No. 9 Clemson in 2008; No. 7 Virginia Tech in 2009; No. 8 Michigan in 2012; No. 20 Wisconsin in 2015; No. 20 Southern Cal in 2016; and No. 3 Florida State in 2017.
But those teams (and Bama, I guess) are ducking UCF?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
Guess I'm confused about which excuse we're going with here. UCF's weak nonconference schedule is due to a) hurricanes, b) everybody good is afraid to play them* or c) it's hard to schedule good teams in advance*.

Speaking of things the NCAA says, when it created a playoff, its stated goal was to select the best four teams.
Do you believe UCF is one of the best four teams? If not, what's your point? Advocating for a system that rewards teams for playing weaker schedules?

* For comparison sake, Alabama in the Saban era has opened against: No. 9 Clemson in 2008; No. 7 Virginia Tech in 2009; No. 8 Michigan in 2012; No. 20 Wisconsin in 2015; No. 20 Southern Cal in 2016; and No. 3 Florida State in 2017.
But those teams (and Bama, I guess) are ducking UCF?

Yes, I’m certain a top team is just as willing to play UCF in the non conference as they are to play Alabama. Good comparison. UCF must just not be trying.

I’ll repeat the point for you a third time. The point is that they came out with the motto “Every game matters.” UCF has won 25 straight games, of which 0 have mattered.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Yes, I’m certain a top team is just as willing to play UCF in the non conference as they are to play Alabama. Good comparison. UCF must just not be trying.

The point you're missing is that good teams aren't afraid to play good teams out of conference, which seems to be the complaint from the 'UCF gets screwed' crowd. Again, if they want a seat at the table, schedule better.

I’ll repeat the point for you a third time. The point is that they came out with the motto “Every game matters.” UCF has won 25 straight games, of which 0 have mattered.

So we agree that UCF doesn't belong in the playoff. But you think they should get in anyhow because of a motto.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
The point you're missing is that good teams aren't afraid to play good teams out of conference, which seems to be the complaint from the 'UCF gets screwed' crowd. Again, if they want a seat at the table, schedule better.

So we agree that UCF doesn't belong in the playoff. But you think they should get in anyhow because of a motto.

Nope. I’m seeing the point. The point is entirely flawed. Scheduling Alabama or Auburn or Wisconsin is entirely different than scheduling UCF. Comparing the two is silly. First of all even if they scheduled games for the next year and had a pretty dang good idea that UCF would be a quality opponent when they actually played them there’s only downside for their opponent if it’s Bama or OU or O$U. If they win then they beat the AAC champions, which does nothing. If they lose then their season is over. Vs. scheduling a Bama vs. OU game. The loser can still bounce back, win their conference and go to the CFP after the winner wins their conference. And again, you schedule these games 4 years out. The chances of Clemson or Bama being a quality opponent 4 years from now is much, much, much higher than UCF being a quality opponent 4 years from now. The comparison is dumb and to suggest UCF can get a prime time non-con game easily if they want to is even dumber.

And I’m not arguing UCF should be in. I’m laughing at the fact the NCAA tried to sell that every game mattered when in reality there are like 10 games a year that determine who has a chance to win a national title.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
Nope. I’m seeing the point. The point is entirely flawed. Scheduling Alabama or Auburn or Wisconsin is entirely different than scheduling UCF. Comparing the two is silly. First of all even if they scheduled games for the next year and had a pretty dang good idea that UCF would be a quality opponent when they actually played them there’s only downside for their opponent if it’s Bama or OU or O$U. If they win then they beat the AAC champions, which does nothing. If they lose then their season is over. Vs. scheduling a Bama vs. OU game. The loser can still bounce back, win their conference and go to the CFP after the winner wins their conference. And again, you schedule these games 4 years out. The chances of Clemson or Bama being a quality opponent 4 years from now is much, much, much higher than UCF being a quality opponent 4 years from now. The comparison is dumb and to suggest UCF can get a prime time non-con game easily if they want to is even dumber.

And I’m not arguing UCF should be in. I’m laughing at the fact the NCAA tried to sell that every game mattered when in reality there are like 10 games a year that determine who has a chance to win a national title.

To add to this.  Let's say UCF did schedule Alabama.  Played at Alabama and lost 31-28.  Then went on to win every game they played by 20+ points. 

UCF would have zero chance at playing for the national title.  Now, if Ohio State schedules Alabama at a neutral site and loses 31-14, then goes on and wins each of their remaining games.  They are playing for a national title.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »

The NCAA is saying nothing of the sort.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
To add to this.  Let's say UCF did schedule Alabama.  Played at Alabama and lost 31-28.  Then went on to win every game they played by 20+ points. 

UCF would have zero chance at playing for the national title.  Now, if Ohio State schedules Alabama at a neutral site and loses 31-14, then goes on and wins each of their remaining games.  They are playing for a national title.

Yep.

UCF should drop to FCS if it wants to win a national title.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
Scheduling Alabama or Auburn or Wisconsin is entirely different than scheduling UCF... If they win then they beat the AAC champions, which does nothing. If they lose then their season is over. Vs. scheduling a Bama vs. OU game. The loser can still bounce back, win their conference and go to the CFP after the winner wins their conference. And again, you schedule these games 4 years out. The chances of Clemson or Bama being a quality opponent 4 years from now is much, much, much higher than UCF being a quality opponent 4 years from now.

I think this is generally right.  It can turn around, but you have to establish your brand for literally like ten years before anyone will see any upside to playing you. Boise St has played at least one and often two P5 schools every year since 2009.  Generally though, i think the teams you play have to be either on the road against teams that need an attendance/profile boost or neutral site games with a chance to draw a big crowd.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »

Yep.

UCF should drop to FCS if it wants to win a national title.

My complaint is that it isn't a NCAA national title, it is a P5 title.  Wades is right that saying "all games matter" is incorrect. 

Personally, I would prefer if the NCAA did away with FCS and FBS and instead simply put the P5 in its own division, they cannot schedule people outside the P5, and they can choose whatever title system they want.