[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51725 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
Two more things of interest ...

2020 will see the debut of the Myrtle Beach Bowl. That will be the 40th -- fortieth!!!!! -- postseason bowl. At least 35 of which will be totally irrelevant.

Also, D3 Earlham College has lost a record 53 straight games and decided to suspend its program at least for next season. I know a kid who went there. He described it as "Bohemian." When I asked him what that meant, he said: "The girls don't shave their armpits."

Never understood the complaining about the number of bowl games.
1. It's free football!
2. If you don't like free football (communist!) you have the option of doing something else (America, f yeah).

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
Oh look, Urban Meyer with a new health issue when his team is disappointing and he's catching some other assorted off the field heat at his current job...

I would never make light of severe health issues and brain disease is horrible, but Meyer is a known and proven liar who has stretched and distorted the truth for personal gain repeatedly.  This seems conveniently like the Florida situation where his "dangerous" health issues wonderfully cleared up in a single season away from coaching.

Wags, just saw your PM. Cheers.

The Urb is a pretty despicable guy. Amazing how Nixon's life was in danger from a sudden case of phlebitis right when he was getting impeached.

Same with The Urb. Always coming down with some grave malady right when he is getting unwanted attention...

Jim Harbaugh is a goofy guy. But he is definitely on the up and up.

tOSU now has had two consecutive cheaters leading the buck nuts.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
The Lovie Smith experience seems to be going well today.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Nice come from behind win for UW.  Taylor with 300+ yards.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:28 AM »
I really hate SEC cupcake Saturday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »
Yeah no kidding.  It was my first Saturday night in awhile with nothing going on, and not a single decent game. 

BTW, the Pac 12 is probably real excited at the prospect of a Utah v. either Washington or Washington State championship game. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2018, 12:06:31 AM »
How bout them Aggies?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
How bout them Aggies?

I made it through the first overtime and was just too damn tired...damn...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
Urban >>>>>>Harbaugh.    Harbaugh's only hope of beating OSU is for Meyer to retire again. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »
Harbaugh's rep has really taken a hit at Michigan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
So Notre Dame wrapped up a spot in the College Football Playoff yesterday.  They aren't as good as Bama or Clemson, but this isn't the same bunch that got its doors blown off by Bama a couple years ago.  I doubt they win the championship, but they will be more competitive.

Bama is a lock IMO even if they lose to Georgia in the SECCG next Saturday.  Ditto Clemson and Pitt in the ACCCG.

So about the fourth spot:

**Georgia IMO is one of the top four teams in the country, but they are going to have to beat Bama to get a spot - two losses aren't going to get them in.  Georgia is one of the teams that can beat Alabama though.

**Ohio State may the the next in line if they beat Northwestern.  But they would get their doors blown off by any of the top 3.

**Oklahoma.  See Ohio State.

**UCF.  Not likely especially since they lost their QB to a horrible injury Friday.  But they likely aren't going to be competitive either.

**If all four lose their conference championship games, Georgia will back their way in with Washington State and LSU losing this weekend.  College football is really weak below the top teams this year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
So Notre Dame wrapped up a spot in the College Football Playoff yesterday.  They aren't as good as Bama or Clemson, but this isn't the same bunch that got its doors blown off by Bama a couple years ago.  I doubt they win the championship, but they will be more competitive.

Bama is a lock IMO even if they lose to Georgia in the SECCG next Saturday.  Ditto Clemson and Pitt in the ACCCG.

So about the fourth spot:

**Georgia IMO is one of the top four teams in the country, but they are going to have to beat Bama to get a spot - two losses aren't going to get them in.  Georgia is one of the teams that can beat Alabama though.

**Ohio State may the the next in line if they beat Northwestern.  But they would get their doors blown off by any of the top 3.

**Oklahoma.  See Ohio State.

**UCF.  Not likely especially since they lost their QB to a horrible injury Friday.  But they likely aren't going to be competitive either.

**If all four lose their conference championship games, Georgia will back their way in with Washington State and LSU losing this weekend.  College football is really weak below the top teams this year.

Bama and ND are locks. Clemson ought to be, unless they somehow get routed by Pitt, which seems a near impossibility.
Georgia is in if they beat Bama. Out of they don't.
The clear next team up in the scenario is Oklahoma. Their one loss came in the final seconds to a ranked opponent.
As for Ohio State, getting blown out by a .500 Purdue team should disqualify them. The fact they also should have lost to Maryland only confirms that they don't belong in ahead of a one-loss Oklahoma or Georgia..
Also, putting Ohio State in the playoff after everything that went down there early in the year is a bad look. The committee isn't supposed to consider such things, but if it's a virtual tie between OSU and Oklahoma, it ought to push it in the Sooners favor.
By the way, what's the over on an Alabama-Oklahoma semifinal? Seems like Bama could put up 70 on that defense.

UCF, sadly, has no chance. If Milton were still in the picture, they'd have an argument.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
How bout them Aggies?
I thought LSU won after the int. I flipped it off too another game on my 2nd tv. I see the score at the bottom of the screen on ND/USC game, tied at 31. Crazy.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »

I really hope Clemson is out, if they somehow lose to an average Pitt team. ACC is very poor this season.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
I thought LSU won after the int. I flipped it off too another game on my 2nd tv. I see the score at the bottom of the screen on ND/USC game, tied at 31. Crazy.

The INT getting called back was the right call. The spot on the ensuing 4th down....I can admit that LSU absolutely got robbed because of that call. It happens though and fans were treated to another 2.5 hours of excitement as a result. That's a game that I'll remember for a long time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
Surprised to see Wisconsin lose at home to Minnesota.  Feels like they've had that axe forever.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
The INT getting called back was the right call. The spot on the ensuing 4th down....I can admit that LSU absolutely got robbed because of that call. It happens though and fans were treated to another 2.5 hours of excitement as a result. That's a game that I'll remember for a long time.

Digital first down line was 2 yards off. It was a first, absolutely.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
Lovie Smith got an extension at Illinois.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Lovie Smith got an extension at Illinois.

Cause they couldn't afford his buy-out.  To be fair, the extension could have a less expensive buy-out.  I really doubt that he's still there in two years.  But two years is a long time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »
A very sensible argument regarding how conference championship games have outlived their usefulness and that this weekend should be set aside for national quarterfinals taking place on campus sites.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-doesnt-need-expansion-needs-reform-005615013.html

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
A very sensible argument regarding how conference championship games have outlived their usefulness and that this weekend should be set aside for national quarterfinals taking place on campus sites.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-doesnt-need-expansion-needs-reform-005615013.html
The only league that really cares about their conference title game is the SEC.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
The SEC Championship Game was quite entertaining.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »

Very.  Kirby Smart fake punting on own 45 in tie game with three minutes left, can’t wait to hear his explanation. Georgia fans probably going nuts.  Last year Tua for Hurts, now Hurts for Tua.  Like movie script.

Side note, if Kyler Murray from Okl was 6ft 3, he would probably be the most promising college QB in history.  What a player with arm strength, accuracy and a set of wheels.  But, he is not and on to the Oakland As. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
I found myself cheering for Alabama late with the backup QB.  I'm now going to take a shower.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
About time. They have had blowouts almost every year. Strange.

If you are a Georgia fan you must be sick. Second straight game vs Bama the back up quarterback beats you in the same stadium.
-Bill Walton

feedback