'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121342 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
Is being sent to Minnesota now considered a punishment?

Richard Andrew Pitino

Former head coach Louisville Cardinals
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »
NC ST hit with two Level 1 allegations and one level II

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1149077324316467201
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
NC ST hit with two Level 1 allegations and one level II

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1149077324316467201

NCAA must be really mad at Arizona and Louisville to come down this hard on NC State.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2019, 07:14:11 PM »
NCAA must be really mad at Arizona and Louisville to come down this hard on NC State.

Yep. Classic.

UNC's violations were 10x as bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #454 on: July 10, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »

I wouldn't say they are coming down hard...I bet little of anything comes from it as far as penalties go. Probably some loss of scholarships and that's about it. Everyone that was involved with this is gone. I personally don't think that should matter, but it will I think.

Just as I figured...the NCAA is toothless, what a sham. Hit the Coaches(meaningless), but not the programs itself.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article232511232.html

Somewhere, Bill Self and Sean Miller are raising a beer in celebration knowing their teams will still get to compete for(and maybe even win) a National Championship this next year. Absolute joke, but knew it was coming.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:31:15 PM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

source?

• All American
« Reply #455 on: July 10, 2019, 11:24:37 PM »
I wouldn't say they are coming down hard...I bet little of anything comes from it as far as penalties go. Probably some loss of scholarships and that's about it. Everyone that was involved with this is gone. I personally don't think that should matter, but it will I think.

Just as I figured...the NCAA is toothless, what a sham. Hit the Coaches(meaningless), but not the programs itself.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article232511232.html

Somewhere, Bill Self and Sean Miller are raising a beer in celebration knowing their teams will still get to compete for(and maybe even win) a National Championship this next year. Absolute joke, but knew it was coming.

Did you even read the article? All of the blame and consequences for paying players are on the coaches. I agree that the schools are getting off easy, but the coaches are not.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #456 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »
Honestly think that the NCAA is scared of hitting programs too hard now considering all it'd take would be two or three major conferences breaking off to drastically alter the money and influence the ncaa has.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #457 on: July 11, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
Yep. Classic.

UNC's violations were 10x as bad.

Not really, and don't forget that UNC had been hit by the NCAA a few years earlier (2011, I believe) for agent and academic issues in football (the insinuation was clear in the violation report that the tutor was sleeping with players).  One violation cited was the tutor circled mistakes a player was repeatedly making on a paper - physically marking up the paper was "academic dishonesty."

The thing with the classes is that every student had access to them. They were particularly popular amongst frats. That fact got UNC out of NCAA sanctions as they were not providing a special benefit. An extra benefit is only something that is made available to athletes and not either the entire student body or another designated group. UNC's issue was academic and therefore this fell under the jurisdiction of their accreditation body. If it were proven to be only athletes given access to this class then they would have triggered an extra benefits case.

The NCAA has hit big schools repeatedly too. The old Tarkanian line was just him being bitter that he was rightfully investigated. USC football, Alabama football, Minnesota basketball, Michigan football and basketball, Michigan State football, Ohio State football, Syracuse basketball, UConn basketball, Washington football and Indiana basketball are examples I can think of immediately where a big time program was hit and hit hard for violations.  The reason smaller programs get hit is lack of resources and oversight. Ohio State has 10 compliance officers, USC now has 16, smaller programs have one or two.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #458 on: July 11, 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
Not really, and don't forget that UNC had been hit by the NCAA a few years earlier (2011, I believe) for agent and academic issues in football (the insinuation was clear in the violation report that the tutor was sleeping with players).  One violation cited was the tutor circled mistakes a player was repeatedly making on a paper - physically marking up the paper was "academic dishonesty."

The thing with the classes is that every student had access to them. They were particularly popular amongst frats. That fact got UNC out of NCAA sanctions as they were not providing a special benefit. An extra benefit is only something that is made available to athletes and not either the entire student body or another designated group. UNC's issue was academic and therefore this fell under the jurisdiction of their accreditation body. If it were proven to be only athletes given access to this class then they would have triggered an extra benefits case.

The NCAA has hit big schools repeatedly too. The old Tarkanian line was just him being bitter that he was rightfully investigated. USC football, Alabama football, Minnesota basketball, Michigan football and basketball, Michigan State football, Ohio State football, Syracuse basketball, UConn basketball, Washington football and Indiana basketball are examples I can think of immediately where a big time program was hit and hit hard for violations.  The reason smaller programs get hit is lack of resources and oversight. Ohio State has 10 compliance officers, USC now has 16, smaller programs have one or two.

I'd be willing to bet when these other schools get their level 1 violations, like Arizona and KU, there will be no postseason bans(even thought there should be at least one if not multiple). Nothing else really matters, and makes the whole thing a joke.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #459 on: July 11, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
I'd be willing to bet when these other schools get their level 1 violations, like Arizona and KU, there will be no postseason bans(even thought there should be at least one if not multiple). Nothing else really matters, and makes the whole thing a joke.

Louisville got one, why wouldn’t these schools?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2019, 12:55:27 AM »

Then there was that University of Miami investigation...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #461 on: July 12, 2019, 02:16:58 AM »
Honestly think that the NCAA is scared of hitting programs too hard now considering all it'd take would be two or three major conferences breaking off to drastically alter the money and influence the ncaa has.

The ncaa money that comes from the tv contracts are tied to the ncaa.  Sure, some schools or conferences could break off but it would require brand new media deals because the money stays with the ncaa.  Don’t forget the academic types at universities already have a stern eye to the athletic side.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #462 on: July 12, 2019, 05:49:03 AM »

They self imposed that

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
The ncaa money that comes from the tv contracts are tied to the ncaa.  Sure, some schools or conferences could break off but it would require brand new media deals because the money stays with the ncaa.  Don’t forget the academic types at universities already have a stern eye to the athletic side.

The football money doesn't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #464 on: July 12, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Then there was that University of Miami investigation...

Yep, the NCAA was overly aggressive in the investigation in trying to nail them wrote answers for Shapiro, using records from his court testimony. That dude (who was also on the USC investigation and added, impermissibly, sanctions for them hiring Lane Kiffin) got fired.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2019, 07:54:16 AM »
OT: Last week the NCAA was checking out the Las Vegas Stadium being built for the Raiders.  I would love to see MU in the Final Four here someday!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »

They author doesn't seem to realize they were self-imposed.

What a joke. I'll let you decide if I'm referring to the publication or the self-imposed sanctions

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #470 on: August 07, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
What a joke. I'll let you decide if I'm referring to the publication or the self-imposed sanctions

The correct answer is both.  Fortunately the “penalty” is self imposed may or may not get any credit from the NCAA...my personal opinion is that they were recruiting anyway and to suggest they weren’t horsehockey.  The writer is a complete joke and continues to be.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #471 on: August 07, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
Double secret probation
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #473 on: August 07, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Holy crap people.

Fine.

Is this one better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/al.com/auburnbasketball/2019/08/auburn-basketball-had-severe-self-imposed-sanctions-from-2017-it-never-made-public.html%3foutputType=amp

I was wrong on the no visits. The visit I was looking at was in 2019. I misread both articles as the self-ban was from 18-19, not the 17-18 that the articles state.