Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121334 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
The real issue for schools like Marquette is that the BCS rules college sports. Not just football. But the full range of inter-collegiate athletics. 

65 schools are earning record revenues and will dictate the future course of college sports for decades.

The ADs at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, UNC, and even Purdue don't give one thought to the Big East or the MAC. They don't need to.

I personally believe that the BCS won't leave the NCAA because the NCAA won't do anything to them. Power isn't fickle; it is dominant.

Michigan makes huge bank from every game at the Big House. But that's pocket change compared with the revenues generated for being on TV every Saturday then 1 Jan.

The BCS 65 dictate the agenda. Mark Emmert is subservient to Delany, Sankey, Swofford, and even Bowlsby.  Anyone who thinks that Emmert will ever dare challenge Delany is a fool.

But if the lower 286 continue to stand in the way of the 65 I can see the BCS breaking off. But first, the 65 will marginalize the authority of the NCAA in small yet significant ways. Cream cheese will be spread on bagels. The Hoops season will begin after the BCS holiday bowls, limiting basketball to a single semester. The Enforcement Division will be further stripped of reach and punitive power. And student athletes will begin getting stipends.

Personally, I think Devin Bush, Rashan Gary, and Shea Patterson should get paid. They make a lot of money for Michigan. Should the star of the Central Michigan team get paid? What is his economic value to the college? The answer is very little.

If the NCAA's 286 junior members continue to mess with the BCS Wish List I can see the 65 breaking off. And there's not a damn thing the NCAA can do about it.

The real losers will be the Olympic sports at the 286. Notre Dame's women's sports will continue to thrive. So too will the hockey and lacrosse teams at the 65. But at what remains of the NCAA the ability to fund Olympic sports and meet Title IX requirements will be a challenge.

This myth keeps coming up and there are enough level headed people out that have explained why, at least for the next 15 years this isn't happening.  By the way, record revenues don't mean much without the context of what the expenses are.  A company can make $1 Billion but if their expenses are $1.5 Billion it may not mean much.

Football schools make revenues on their football games, large stadiums and the dollars that come into that.  They also make a considerable chunk from the biggest revenue generator, the NCAA basketball tournament contract which does not expire until 2032.  The contract stipulates that only NCAA member institutions are eligible.  If those schools breakaway, they will have to go do their own deal.  Many of those 65 football schools amount to garbage when it comes to basketball, despite their football chops.  Their attractiveness with the lack of Davids, and only behemoth Goliath schools is not what the public wants.

The Michigan players you mention that should get paid, why is it when Michigan sucked the Big House was still sold out and people still attending? Because people want to see Michigan play, not those individual players. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
This myth keeps coming up and there are enough level headed people out that have explained why, at least for the next 15 years this isn't happening.  By the way, record revenues don't mean much without the context of what the expenses are.  A company can make $1 Billion but if their expenses are $1.5 Billion it may not mean much.

Football schools make revenues on their football games, large stadiums and the dollars that come into that.  They also make a considerable chunk from the biggest revenue generator, the NCAA basketball tournament contract which does not expire until 2032.  The contract stipulates that only NCAA member institutions are eligible.  If those schools breakaway, they will have to go do their own deal.  Many of those 65 football schools amount to garbage when it comes to basketball, despite their football chops.  Their attractiveness with the lack of Davids, and only behemoth Goliath schools is not what the public wants.

The Michigan players you mention that should get paid, why is it when Michigan sucked the Big House was still sold out and people still attending? Because people want to see Michigan play, not those individual players.

Been saying the bolded for ages. Everybody focuses on the Ohio State, MIchigans, Bamas etc not thinking about the Rutgers, washington st, etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 10:26:41 AM »

What keefe said is not inconsistent with the timeline of what you are stating.  He is 100% right that the BCS holds the power and that they *could* break off from the NCAA.  I doubt that will happen because they rest of the organization KNOWS the BCS hold most of the cards.

And the players don't need to be paid by the school.  They can be paid by outside sources.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
But if the lower 286 continue to stand in the way of the 65 I can see the BCS breaking off. But first, the 65 will marginalize the authority of the NCAA in small yet significant ways. Cream cheese will be spread on bagels. The Hoops season will begin after the BCS holiday bowls, limiting basketball to a single semester. The Enforcement Division will be further stripped of reach and punitive power. And student athletes will begin getting stipends.

Shyte ... who would put anything BUT cream cheese on bagels?

Margarine? Jelly? Plain? Heresy!!!!

Give me a fresh Everything bagel with a chive schmear, a few slices of lox, maybe a little beefsteak tomato and red onion, a sprinkle of capers ... now you're talkin'!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
Shyte ... who would put anything BUT cream cheese on bagels?

Margarine? Jelly? Plain? Heresy!!!!

Give me a fresh Everything bagel with a chive schmear, a few slices of lox, maybe a little beefsteak tomato and red onion, a sprinkle of capers ... now you're talkin'!

Peanut butter isn't half bad on a bagel. No cream cheese but it gets the job done
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Peanut butter isn't half bad on a bagel.

This....and on a toasted raisin bagel.

what was this thread about again  ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
If I'm having a turkey sammich for lunch, sometimes I'll have it on an Everything bagel with a chive or veggie schmear, a couple slices of tomato, maybe some sprouts if I have 'em.

Wow! I know what I'm having for lunch today!!

Oh, and I love peanut butter. Never even thought of spreading it on a raisin bagel, but that makes a lot of sense. I definitely will try it.

This is the kind of investigating that makes a difference!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
And here... we... go...

@DanWetzel
During opening statement this morning, Jim Gattto's atty promised evidence would show Oregon offered "an atronomical amount of money" to recruit Brian Bowen to play for the Ducks. The $100,000 deal to attend Louisville was to "level the playing field."

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
@DanWetzel
Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
@DanWetzel
Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.
I don't know I always considered that a dumb defense. Everyone was murdering the competition so what choice did my client have? Justice department: Coming to us?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Is there ANY chance that Arizona gets hammered with some ricochet shots here and Nico Mannion backs out of his commitment??

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
@DanWetzel

Interesting.  My daughter took the college tour of Maryland last week and they mentioned on the tour that the founder of Under Armour was a Maryland grad and is a big backer of the university and they mostly carry Under Armour gear in the school store.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
Is there ANY chance that Arizona gets hammered with some ricochet shots here and Nico Mannion backs out of his commitment??

Any chance?  Sure.  A likely chance?  Doubtful at this point.  There's about six weeks to go before early signing day.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »

Unlikely. The NCAA has been asked to hold off until the trials are over. This is just the first trial. There are trials scheduled at late as April.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
So it sounds like one of the defendants (Jim Gatto who used to work for Adidas) is essentially admitting to paying players, but is arguing that it isn't against federal law to do so.  Just against NCAA rules. 

And remember that the NCAA can use all of this as part of its investigation - which as TAMU said is being held off. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
So it sounds like one of the defendants (Jim Gatto who used to work for Adidas) is essentially admitting to paying players, but is arguing that it isn't against federal law to do so.  Just against NCAA rules. 

And remember that the NCAA can use all of this as part of its investigation - which as TAMU said is being held off.

This seems like the worst possible outcome for the involved schools. A witness openly stating in court that he helped schools commit NCAA violations. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA take a similar approach when the time comes. Sidestep responsibility and say this a federal issue, not an NCAA one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
This seems like the worst possible outcome for the involved schools. A witness openly stating in court that he helped schools commit NCAA violations. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA take a similar approach when the time comes. Sidestep responsibility and say this a federal issue, not an NCAA one.

Which means they'll never have to enforce any rule ever...

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »

This is hilarious, all kinds interstate commerce laws could be argue were broken. That gives the Feds automatic jurisdiction. Not a lawyer but from so many Fed cases I've followed jurisdiction is easy here.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

The real losers will be the Olympic sports at the 286. Notre Dame's women's sports will continue to thrive. So too will the hockey and lacrosse teams at the 65. But at what remains of the NCAA the ability to fund Olympic sports and meet Title IX requirements will be a challenge.

First off, cream cheese, peanut butter, and other spreads have been permitted for many years now.  Basketball will never be limited to a single semester, but soccer may be spread out over the entire academic year, student-athletes are already getting stipends, some as much as $6k/year.

I do agree regarding a split, but it will be more along the lines of the 65 breaking off to form their own division and the rest, Big East included, basically being like the FCS.  The Power Five schools desperately want to find a way to keep non-Power 5 schools from stealing the revenue they think they're entitled to, particularly in the NCAA tourney.  Loyola's run this past year only further angered the Power 5. 2022 is when the next TV deals are up, that's when we'll see the sea change. The Big Ten  and Pac-12 are already scheming as to how to get Texas.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
Interesting.  My daughter took the college tour of Maryland last week and they mentioned on the tour that the founder of Under Armour was a Maryland grad and is a big backer of the university and they mostly carry Under Armour gear in the school store.

Kevin Plank is founder of Under Armour and a UMD grad.  Like 5 years ago, he wanted to do to UMD what Nike did to Oregon.  UMD was The first college to have UA provide uniforms for all sports and Plank has been extremely generous to UMD and employs many at its Maryland facilities.

Plank gave 25 million to renovate the old Cole Field house into the Terrapin Performance Center, which cost 150 million.  I was there two weeks ago and it is just stunning.  Hope no issues come up with UA in this. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
First off, cream cheese, peanut butter, and other spreads have been permitted for many years now.  Basketball will never be limited to a single semester, but soccer may be spread out over the entire academic year, student-athletes are already getting stipends, some as much as $6k/year.

I do agree regarding a split, but it will be more along the lines of the 65 breaking off to form their own division and the rest, Big East included, basically being like the FCS.  The Power Five schools desperately want to find a way to keep non-Power 5 schools from stealing the revenue they think they're entitled to, particularly in the NCAA tourney.  Loyola's run this past year only further angered the Power 5. 2022 is when the next TV deals are up, that's when we'll see the sea change. The Big Ten  and Pac-12 are already scheming as to how to get Texas.

Nope.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Been saying the bolded for ages. Everybody focuses on the Ohio State, MIchigans, Bamas etc not thinking about the Rutgers, washington st, etc.

As a New Jersey resident I think about Rutgers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
As a New Jersey resident I think about Rutgers.

You tune in to watch Rutgers football and basketball on the regular?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
@DanWetzel

Is this where we find out how much Grimes got to go to Kansas?

feedback