[Today at 10:46:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121441 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
Agreed. The NCAA is reticent to use the death penalty again, but the only measure that will work is to actually take those sports away for a time. As long as they can keep competing, there's no real teeth to their punishments.

Yeah but they can't really punish schools for things that aren't in violation of their rules.  And the NCAA isn't going to be given increased authority by its own members.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
MSU:   President, gone.   AD, gone.   1/2 billion dollars gone.   They continue to pay the price.    But, and here is the differentiation, these are criminal and civil matters, not NCAA related matters.

And if they had to do it all over again, they would. Boards don't care if Presidents and ADs get fired and the 1/2 billion hurts but they'll get over it. The value athletics brings to the school every year more than covers it.

You're not wrong about it not being an NCAA matter, but it should be. Committing crimes to benefit athletic departments, the NCAA is the only ones who can stop it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
When people turn on the NCAA tournament in March, more eyeballs are on tv sets when the bigger schools are competing.  Its just the reality.  So they are willing to bend over backwards to clear those schools(see UNC) so that when tv contracts are up, they can point to higher viewership. Secondly, there is always the implied threat from the bigger schools to just leave the NCAA entirely and form their own tournament if the NCAA tries to get too aggressive.

Disagree on several counts here.  The NCAA, if memory serves, will receive a check for the tournament no matter what schools make it or what the ratings are. That money is guaranteed.  Doesn't that contract go until the 2030's?  Unless CBS or Turner are demanding the NCAA not punish those schools because those are the entities that see the advertising revenue, but that seems a reach.

The bigger schools are going to go where?  If all that money is tied up with the NCAA from those networks, if the big schools break off to a different organization, new money will have to be found.  Count me and so many others that do not want any part of a big schools only college tournament.  No cinderellas, no excitement.  Feels like a giant flop.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
And if they had to do it all over again, they would. Boards don't care if Presidents and ADs get fired and the 1/2 billion hurts but they'll get over it. The value athletics brings to the school every year more than covers it.

You're not wrong about it not being an NCAA matter, but it should be. Committing crimes to benefit athletic departments, the NCAA is the only ones who can stop it.

No.  Federal legislation can stop it.  The NCAA is a membership organization that will never be given that power by its own members.

You are expecting way too much from the NCAA.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »

No.  Federal legislation can stop it.  The NCAA is a membership organization that will never be given that power by its own members.

You are expecting way too much from the NCAA.

How can federal legislation stop it?

I agree that I am expecting too much, but I do believe it is the only way that it will ever stop these kinds of things from happening.
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
MSU:   President, gone.   AD, gone.   1/2 billion dollars gone.   They continue to pay the price.    But, and here is the differentiation, these are criminal and civil matters, not NCAA related matters.

The sad thing about this is the $500M will not affect athletics.  Their budgets will likely go up, instead academic departments will have their budgets slashed, and faculty/staff will be forced to go without pay raises. 

Greed is the problem.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »
The sad thing about this is the $500M will not affect athletics.  Their budgets will likely go up, instead academic departments will have their budgets slashed, and faculty/staff will be forced to go without pay raises. 

Greed is the problem.

Faculty and staff are receiving pay increases, but dropped from 2.5% to 1.5%.  Top administrators not increases at all.

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2018/msu-board-approves-first-ever-two-year-budget-with-tuition-rate-and-pay-freezes-clears-way-for-500m-litigation-settlement-increases-financial-aid-addresses-tenure-changes/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
UNC found an ingenious loophole, showing their bogus classes weren't for athletes only.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
How can federal legislation stop it?

I agree that I am expecting too much, but I do believe it is the only way that it will ever stop these kinds of things from happening.

The feds control tax exemption status and financial aid disbursement. They could very easily step in punish offending schools. But they won’t

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »

The feds control tax exemption status and financial aid disbursement. They could very easily step in punish offending schools. But they won’t

Exactly. Unless a university president goes on TV and says screw you DOE, we're not following any of your Title IX bullcrap. They will never use that option. Schools know this and will continue to look the other way when it benefits their athletic programs.

Only way to stop it is if the athletic programs themselves are directly sanctioned for their actions. The only entity with the power to do that is the NCAA. But you are right, they never will because the foxes are guarding the hen house.
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
Faculty and staff are receiving pay increases, but dropped from 2.5% to 1.5%.  Top administrators not increases at all.

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2018/msu-board-approves-first-ever-two-year-budget-with-tuition-rate-and-pay-freezes-clears-way-for-500m-litigation-settlement-increases-financial-aid-addresses-tenure-changes/

Two things.  So yes, Faculty and Staff (and academic deans) will suffer because of actions by the athletic department. 

And I've seen this play out before.  Administrators say they will freeze their salaries.  Then at the end of the year they give themselves massive one time bonuses to compensate.  Then at the end of the two years, they give themselves double digit raises for a few years to make up for the freeze.  They win out big.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
NCAA drops the hammer on Kentucky.  Don't see how the program can recover.

https://deadspin.com/ncaa-punishes-kentucky-soccer-players-for-pick-up-game-1828861785

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Timeout, I'm as outraged about the stuff going on at the schools as the next, but I'm not sure how Larry Nassar, Jerry Sandusky, et al are committing crimes that benefit athletic departments. Here's the thing, any organization could be facing these types of issues and it's not about benefiting the organization it's about a fundamental inability or unwillingness to face the issue see church, catholic. MSU and PSU are different than say Baylor or Louisville, there is an important distinction that we are forgetting.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
Timeout, I'm as outraged about the stuff going on at the schools as the next, but I'm not sure how Larry Nassar, Jerry Sandusky, et al are committing crimes that benefit athletic departments. Here's the thing, any organization could be facing these types of issues and it's not about benefiting the organization it's about a fundamental inability or unwillingness to face the issue see church, catholic. MSU and PSU are different than say Baylor or Louisville, there is an important distinction that we are forgetting.

When I say they would do it all over again, I'm not talking about the crimes. The crimes don't benefit the athletic departments but the cover ups and the culture that allows them to happen do. Until the punishment hits them where it hurts, universities will continue to cover up things like this rather than address them.
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
I just don't get how/why they bring a punishment for a kid getting some tickets to a game or having too much pasta, but harboring a serial rapist is nothing.

the schools impose those penalties, not the NCAA. The NCAA said the pasta thing was not a violation, it was all Oklahoma being idiots.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »
NCAA drops the hammer on Kentucky.  Don't see how the program can recover.

https://deadspin.com/ncaa-punishes-kentucky-soccer-players-for-pick-up-game-1828861785

the NCAA had no role in that, just as they had no role when Anderson got the suite tickets for the Brewers playoff game. Kentucky imposed the sanctions.

The NCAA only gets involved in handing out penalties when it comes to investigations after the schools themselves report major violations have or may have taken place.  Nobody in Indy is levying penalties for impermissible practice activities involving a crap band.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
the NCAA had no role in that, just as they had no role when Anderson got the suite tickets for the Brewers playoff game. Kentucky imposed the sanctions.

The NCAA only gets involved in handing out penalties when it comes to investigations after the schools themselves report major violations have or may have taken place.  Nobody in Indy is levying penalties for impermissible practice activities involving a crap band.

Well that's not what the article linked by Deadspin says.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/09/06/foo-fighters-soccer-game-kentucky-coaches-violates-rule/1174270002/

"Several UK soccer players will have to sit out two supervised team activities, such as a practice or meetings, after joining in a pickup soccer game with the Foo Fighters and UK coaches before a May 1 concert at Rupp Arena, the NCAA ruled."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »

Well that's not what the article linked by Deadspin says.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/09/06/foo-fighters-soccer-game-kentucky-coaches-violates-rule/1174270002/

"Several UK soccer players will have to sit out two supervised team activities, such as a practice or meetings, after joining in a pickup soccer game with the Foo Fighters and UK coaches before a May 1 concert at Rupp Arena, the NCAA ruled."

No, the school levies the penalties and reports them to the NCAA. The NCAA will then accept the punishment or increase it.  It was not the NCAA that suspended them, but UK.  The key phrase here:  "Kentucky self-reported the violation."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
No, the school levies the penalties and reports them to the NCAA. The NCAA will then accept the punishment or increase it.  It was not the NCAA that suspended them, but UK.  The key phrase here:  "Kentucky self-reported the violation."

OK, so when they self-report the violation do they also report a recommended penalty as well?  And then the NCAA says "yes" or "no?"

jesmu84

• All American

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
Good rundown here of the FBI investigation and current outcomes (shocker: it's basically no results):

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/the-fbi-investigation-into-college-basketball-one-year-later

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

OK, so when they self-report the violation do they also report a recommended penalty as well?  And then the NCAA says "yes" or "no?"

Yes.  The school says what they have decided and the NCAA will say "you need more" but rarely, if ever, would they say "you don't need to impose those specific punishments."

In this case, there was a violation. If the coaches hadn't been there it wouldn't have been one and UK knew that.  There was a failure somewhere and sanctions were warranted.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
Good rundown here of the FBI investigation and current outcomes (shocker: it's basically no results):

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/the-fbi-investigation-into-college-basketball-one-year-later
I do not see it that way there are trials pending (somebody could decide to cooperate) plus investigation is ongoing.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 12:34:41 AM »
Jury selection for one of the trials was today. Saw this tweet from Jeff Borzello:

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1046817584929226752

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
Following Following @jeffborzello
More
Jurors were provided a list of names, companies and schools that could be brought up during trial (no details on relevance/pertinence to the case). Among the schools: Louisville, Kansas, NC State, Miami, Arizona, Oklahoma State, USC, Texas, Creighton, Oregon, LSU, DePaul.

Hadn't heard Creighton's name before. DePaul....they can't even cheat right
TAMU

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 01:15:22 AM »
The real issue for schools like Marquette is that the BCS rules college sports. Not just football. But the full range of inter-collegiate athletics. 

65 schools are earning record revenues and will dictate the future course of college sports for decades.

The ADs at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, UNC, and even Purdue don't give one thought to the Big East or the MAC. They don't need to.

I personally believe that the BCS won't leave the NCAA because the NCAA won't do anything to them. Power isn't fickle; it is dominant.

Michigan makes huge bank from every game at the Big House. But that's pocket change compared with the revenues generated for being on TV every Saturday then 1 Jan.

The BCS 65 dictate the agenda. Mark Emmert is subservient to Delany, Sankey, Swofford, and even Bowlsby.  Anyone who thinks that Emmert will ever dare challenge Delany is a fool.

But if the lower 286 continue to stand in the way of the 65 I can see the BCS breaking off. But first, the 65 will marginalize the authority of the NCAA in small yet significant ways. Cream cheese will be spread on bagels. The Hoops season will begin after the BCS holiday bowls, limiting basketball to a single semester. The Enforcement Division will be further stripped of reach and punitive power. And student athletes will begin getting stipends.

Personally, I think Devin Bush, Rashan Gary, and Shea Patterson should get paid. They make a lot of money for Michigan. Should the star of the Central Michigan team get paid? What is his economic value to the college? The answer is very little.

If the NCAA's 286 junior members continue to mess with the BCS Wish List I can see the 65 breaking off. And there's not a damn thing the NCAA can do about it.

The real losers will be the Olympic sports at the 286. Notre Dame's women's sports will continue to thrive. So too will the hockey and lacrosse teams at the 65. But at what remains of the NCAA the ability to fund Olympic sports and meet Title IX requirements will be a challenge.   
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

feedback