[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: McCain discontinues treatment  (Read 16910 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: McCain discontinues treatment
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
Ha ha

https://twitter.com/codykeenan

Met John McCain once. I was a 22 year old senate intern waiting for an elevator. The doors opened, and he and another GOP senator were inside. I apologized and said I'd want for the next one, but McCain told me to hop on. 1/3

"Who do you work for," he asked.

"Ted Kennedy, sir."

"He's a good man," McCain said. "Without him, we're lost." 2/3

The other Senator scoffed in disgust and got off the elevator at the next floor. While he was still in earshot, McCain raised his voice a little and said, "Don't mind him. He's an pretty boy." *

And that's the time I met John McCain.

*Scoop's profanity filter disliked McCain's quote.  He said a-hole.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:00:45 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
Ha ha

https://twitter.com/codykeenan

Met John McCain once. I was a 22 year old senate intern waiting for an elevator. The doors opened, and he and another GOP senator were inside. I apologized and said I'd want for the next one, but McCain told me to hop on. 1/3

"Who do you work for," he asked.

"Ted Kennedy, sir."

"He's a good man," McCain said. "Without him, we're lost." 2/3

The other Senator scoffed in disgust and got off the elevator at the next floor. While he was still in earshot, McCain raised his voice a little and said, "Don't mind him. He's an pretty boy." *

And that's the time I met John McCain.

*Scoop's profanity filter disliked McCain's quote.  He said a-hole.

I also met him in the elevator as a Senate intern. Even though he was mid-convo with one of his staffers, he stopped, said hi, and cracked a couple jokes on the short ride down a few floors. You could tell how natural he put people at ease. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
A great American who made his mark on history, as a member of the military, senate and as a man. They don't make many of these any more.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
McCain's impulse was to have Lieberman as his VP and try to lead from the middle-ish.  That ticket would have tempted me.  RIP

Me too. I still think Obama would have won in 2008. But I probably would have voted for McCain had it not been for him being in his 70s and Sarah Palin as leader of the free world if he died in office. That was the biggest reason I did not vote for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Me too. I still think Obama would have won in 2008. But I probably would have voted for McCain had it not been for him being in his 70s and Sarah Palin as leader of the free world if he died in office. That was the biggest reason I did not vote for him.

Obama would have won regardless.  Even if BO lost the six states he won by the narrowest of margins (IN, VA, NC, FL, OH and CO) he still would have won.

The economy tanking that summer/fall killed the Republicans that year.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »

Obama would have won regardless.  Even if BO lost the six states he won by the narrowest of margins (IN, VA, NC, FL, OH and CO) he still would have won.

The economy tanking that summer/fall killed the Republicans that year.

My opinion, too. Obama wins.

McCain was hated by conservatives, loved by the establishment, accepted by Democrats when it suited us same as Joe Liberman was accepted by Republicans when it suited them (Israel issues mostly).

He was a hero in many a sense, but he had an ugly side.

McCain had a legendary temper and there are some ugly nast videos out there of him berating people before it was popular today.  Keating Five for you younger types is worth looking up.  He was more of a war hawk then I care to support.  His first wife stood by him and worked diligently for his release, he then left her for a beer distributor heiress worth millions.

McCain Feingold was a worthy and noble effort, but chunks of it ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. 

As much credit as he gets for the campaign in ‘08 in mellowing our attacks on his opponent, he spent the next 8 years constantly attacking.

RIP

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
McCain's military service is unimpeachable. The comparisons and contrasts with John Kerry are for me, the most valuable way to reflect on what he meant to America as a nation.  To borrow from Churchill - as a politician, McCain was one of the worst senators, except for all the other senators (just as democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

Extremely valid take on the situation IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
Wish I could say I'm surprised.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-flag-longer-half-staff-john-mccains/story?id=57422250

That was to be expected.

But, the Pentagon flying at full mast is one of the biggest disgraces in our country's history. The man was a military hero. Offered his life for the service of his country. Suffered unbelievably for his dedication.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
Wish I could say I'm surprised.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-flag-longer-half-staff-john-mccains/story?id=57422250

Pathetic. 

If there was ever an American who deserved the honor of keeping the flag at half staff until burial, few deserve that honor more than John McCain. RIP Senator.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
That was to be expected.

But, the Pentagon flying at full mast is one of the biggest disgraces in our country's history. The man was a military hero. Offered his life for the service of his country. Suffered unbelievably for his dedication.

I agree with your sentiment.  Technically, he policy for a Senator is one day at half-staff.  Special cases for significant heroes occur regularly.  They require a directive from the president, or at state levels the governor. 

So the Pentagon, technically must follow the direction of the WH, who decided McCain did not deserve the honor of special recognition. 

As a side note, I live in a significantly conservative state.  Flags here are all at Full-staff...disgraceful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:51:14 PM by forgetful »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »

McCain was hated by conservatives, loved by the establishment, accepted by Democrats when it suited us same as Joe Liberman was accepted by Republicans when it suited them (Israel issues mostly)

1. McCain was hardly "hated" by conservatives. The vast majority of them voted for him in all of his contests, including his run for the White House.

2. I'm grateful by nature, but I'm over the moon grateful that you've officially become a Democrat!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
1. McCain was hardly "hated" by conservatives. The vast majority of them voted for him in all of his contests, including his run for the White House.

2. I'm grateful by nature, but I'm over the moon grateful that you've officially become a Democrat!

Please take him back.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »

Please take him back.

LOL. We've suffered enough - your turn.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »

Only going off what conservative friends tell me and some articles.  Yes, they voted for him for the same reason we voted for Hillary even if we didn't like her.  That happens in politics all the time.

An article that captures what I was saying.  Tribalism 

https://aminewswire.org/stories/conservatives-john-mccain-leaves-behind-mixed-legacy/

A book that came out in 2008 that was thwarted upon my  wife to keep her in line to vote for the Democrats, which she ultimately did  https://www.amazon.com/Real-McCain-Conservatives-Independents-Shouldnt/dp/0979482291 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2018, 06:03:23 AM »
Only going off what conservative friends tell me and some articles.  Yes, they voted for him for the same reason we voted for Hillary even if we didn't like her.  That happens in politics all the time.

https://aminewswire.org/stories/conservatives-john-mccain-leaves-behind-mixed-legacy/

A book that came out in 2008 that was thwarted upon my  wife to keep her in line to vote for the Democrats, which she ultimately did  https://www.amazon.com/Real-McCain-Conservatives-Independents-Shouldnt/dp/0979482291

None of the above, aina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:54 AM »
McCain was hated by conservatives

Arizona is a very conservative state, and yet McCain won every Republican primary for U.S. House and U.S. Senate seats that he entered.

His primary opponents claimed they should be the choice because McCain wasn't conservative enough. Nevertheless, he won each of his re-election primaries races decisively - at least those in which he had an opponent at all. Seems those allegedly more conservative than he was knew they'd have no chance to beat him, which is why he often ran unopposed in primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_history_of_John_McCain

Apparently Arizona conservatives have a funny way of demonstrating their "hatred."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »

JFC dude, the jig was up a long time ago. Everyone knows you're Chicos.

Also, I don't think the word thwarted means what you think it does... I doubt the phrase "thwarted upon" has ever been typed in human history

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
JFC dude, the jig was up a long time ago. Everyone knows you're Chicos.

Also, I don't think the word thwarted means what you think it does... I doubt the phrase "thwarted upon" has ever been typed in human history

"And upon the hour of 6, i entered the bedchamber of the fair maiden.  Upon seeing her heaving bosom, I thwarted upon her all of mine romance and physical urges"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
Arizona is a very conservative state, and yet McCain won every Republican primary for U.S. House and U.S. Senate seats that he entered.

His primary opponents claimed they should be the choice because McCain wasn't conservative enough. Nevertheless, he won each of his re-election primaries races decisively - at least those in which he had an opponent at all. Seems those allegedly more conservative than he was knew they'd have no chance to beat him, which is why he often ran unopposed in primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_history_of_John_McCain

Apparently Arizona conservatives have a funny way of demonstrating their "hatred."

Unless I missed something, its pretty crazy his only general election loss was the 2008 Presidential election. His only primary loss was the 2000 Presidential primaries, in which he took 2nd.

Guy had an amazing record in Congressional and statewide elections.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:07:54 AM by Coleman »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
"And upon the hour of 6, i entered the bedchamber of the fair maiden.  Upon seeing her heaving bosom, I thwarted upon her all of mine romance and physical urges"

Well done, sir.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Like all of us, McCain was a flawed soul.  He was a statesman, who put the ideal of America over all.   He admitted that when he put expediency ahead of his ideals it ended poorly.   He was in turns gracious and combative.  He divorced.  He finished at the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy.   He owned all of it and kept trying to live up to the ideal of what is best for the country. 
A person who valued friends .
Who didn't let something as trivial as politics stand in the way of friendship and loyalty and doing what he believed to be the right thing.  A man in full.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Who didn't let something as trivial as politics stand in the way of ... doing what he believed to be the right thing. 

Oh come on. 

Yes, he lived a great American life.  Yes, his actions during the Vietnam War were commendable.  Yes, he was more of a maverick than most politicians these days.

But I'm growing a little weary of statements like the one above.  He flip flopped constantly over his career on issues like immigration and gun control to suit his political fortunes - especially over the last decade.  He was a politician who acted like most politicians.