Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is this potential NCAA violation by MU old news?  (Read 5760 times)

MU82

• All American
Is this potential NCAA violation by MU old news?
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »
UNC is in trouble again, with football players selling sneakers they had received for free. 13 players were suspended, including the starting QB, for as many as 4 games.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article216175450.html

Being the big newspaper guy I am, I read the entire article and got to this, which had to be about 50 paragraphs in:

Phillips told UNC that he had not bought gear from UNC student-athletes in the past, according to the emails. But he mentioned that he had bought school issued shoes from student-athletes at Michigan, University of California Berkely, and Marquette.

That was the only mention of Marquette (or any other schools that aren't UNC). I did a little googling and couldn't find anything recent on this involving MU.

So is this an old violation that MU already has accounted for and/or been punished for? Or is this a relatively recent revelation that could bite us in the arse this season?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
Re: Is this potential NCAA violation by MU old news?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
If this story is true, and he bought them when their eligibility was complete, it's not a violation as far as I know.  (Cue JB....)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Oh, Walter.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
We finally found Matt Mortenson's violation
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
We finally found Matt Mortenson's violation

We found Amo's revenue source for his online habits.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
So it would appear nobody knows what this is all about.

Obviously, I hope it's none of the current Warriors.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
If this story is true, and he bought them when their eligibility was complete, it's not a violation as far as I know.  (Cue JB....)

That's what I was wondering/hoping as well.

I was thinking to myself (as a layman who perhaps doesn't have a full understanding) how easy it would be for these kids to "gift" their sneakers or whatever to a friend, and then have that friend handle the cash sale. I mean, I don't know how the NCAA could even get involved at that point. It just seems like these kids honestly didn't know that it was a violation, otherwise why would so many of them have done it and why would it have been over such small potatoes.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »
Reminds me of Shoe Box in Madison:  Wasn't that players getting shoes via a "loan" going from the players to the Shoe Box store and then the shoes were really for their parties and the players got paid by the third party?  Loans were never paid nor collected on...   Not sure on the details, but this is what I had understood to be going on in that case.  Obviously the Shoe Box case is worse and involves an entire scheme if what I believe went on went on, but still shoes for $

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:57:14 AM »
Reminds me of Shoe Box in Madison:  Wasn't that players getting shoes via a "loan" going from the players to the Shoe Box store and then the shoes were really for their parties and the players got paid by the third party?  Loans were never paid nor collected on...   Not sure on the details, but this is what I had understood to be going on in that case.  Obviously the Shoe Box case is worse and involves an entire scheme if what I believe went on went on, but still shoes for $

If I recall correctly, it centered around the athletes getting a “discount” on stuff that the general public wasn’t offered as well. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin was put on five years' probation and lost some football and basketball scholarships Tuesday after an investigation found a shoe store gave unadvertised discounts to athletes.

The NCAA, however, did not strip the school of any postseason awards, including its 2000 trip to the men's Final Four.

The university disciplined itself in April. But the NCAA decided to levy additional penalties because it was the school's third major rules violation since 1994 and the number of athletes involved, said Tom Yeager, a member of the NCAA Division I Infractions Committee.

"This wasn't one or two athletes and someone bought them a Diet Coke. This was hundreds of kids involving thousands of dollars. That's significant," Yeager said.

The university had already put itself on three years' probation, penalized itself $150,000 and stripped five scholarships over three years -- four from football and one from men's basketball.

The NCAA reduced the number of football scholarships the university can offer in the 2002-03 and 2003-04 school years from 25 to 20. It also ordered the school to cut a men's basketball scholarship in 2003-04.

Chancellor John Wiley said the school will not appeal the committee's decision, even though it strongly disagreed with the additional scholarship reductions. "We want this to be over," he said.

A report in the Wisconsin State Journal prompted the university's investigation that found 157 athletes in 14 sports violated NCAA rules by accepting at least $23,000 in unadvertised discounts from The Shoe Box, a store 25 miles from Madison in Black Earth.

In some cases, athletes received no-interest credit arrangements that weren't generally available to other students.

All the athletes were ordered to pay a charity the amount of their discounts. Others were suspended and ordered to perform community service.

The university has since banned athletes, coaches and athletic administrators from shopping at the Shoe Box.

The university also was disciplined for providing impermissible housing benefits for football and basketball prospects between 1998 and 2000 and for failing to adequately monitor its athletics program, especially since it had already committed two major violations over the last seven years.

Yeager said the NCAA could have imposed even harsher penalties than the additional reduction of scholarships but did not because the three violations were so different from one another.

Yeager also credited the university for the actions it took in April, saying they were a major reason why the committee did not strip Wisconsin of its 2000 Final Four appearance.

"Once it was detected, the university moved very swiftly, very decisively in trying to correct the problem and to establish policies and procedures to greatly eliminate the possibility that it can happen again," Yeager said.

As part of the corrective measures it took, the university implemented a new education system for all coaches and players on NCAA rules.

Wiley also reprimanded athletic director Pat Richter and compliance officer Tim Bald for their failure to properly investigate the accusations. Each violation occurred during Richter's tenure, and his salary was frozen for one year.

The NCAA also ordered the school to reprimand football coach Barry Alvarez for the improper housing assistance.

Alvarez said the punishment handed down Tuesday was a relief compared with last year, when 26 players were suspended for one to three games right before the Badgers' home opener. Picked as a possible contender for the national title in the preseason, Wisconsin struggled to a 9-4 record as Alvarez juggled his lineup the first four weeks of the season.

"The worst is over," Alvarez said. "We know the restrictions now. We have time to deal with it, time to address it."

http://www.espn.com/gen/news/2001/1002/1258244.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
The Shoe Box gave discounts to everyone.  High school athletes got discounts if they bought their shoes there.  So was there some favoritism going on?  No doubt.  But it wasn't some big underhanded scheme.  The "unadvertised discounts" for athletes of all types was very well known.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
The Shoe Box gave discounts to everyone.  High school athletes got discounts if they bought their shoes there.  So was there some favoritism going on?  No doubt.  But it wasn't some big underhanded scheme.  The "unadvertised discounts" for athletes of all types was very well known.

I think the key is: In some cases, athletes received no-interest credit arrangements that weren't generally available to other students.

If a top athlete gets a loan that never gets collected on, if this is what went on, then is it a loan?  If I do this and have a third party with me shopping and trying on shoes and getting shoes in his size at no-cost to either of us, and the third party then pays player for the shoes.... it is money for shoes. The only money ever exchanging hands is from the third party to the player.  It think it might have went along these lines, if I understand it correctly..?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
What about non-athletes? Could a high school band member get a discount?
Giving discounts to high school athletes could be part of steering the better ones to UW. The argument that high school athletes were also getting discounts is a poor one.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »
The schools mentioned were the only schools on the Jumpman XXX1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
What about non-athletes? Could a high school band member get a discount?
Giving discounts to high school athletes could be part of steering the better ones to UW. The argument that high school athletes were also getting discounts is a poor one.

I'm not making an argument.  I am saying it was common practice.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »

student-athletes were also trading their team issues Reebok's for Nike's and other gear which was a big issue. Not much different from the Ohio State guys selling team issues stuff for tattoos.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »
  good thing there weren't any strippers in the shoes though, eyn'a?

so they fine themselves $150k...where does that go?  to the women's volleyball team?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »
Again ... I guess nobody knows anything about this as to how it all comes back to MU - or if it does at all.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
Again ... I guess nobody knows anything about this as to how it all comes back to MU - or if it does at all.

Well Chicos has always warned about the other shoe dropping...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

This.  I was getting discounts at Shoe Box in high school, and I wasn't even on the football team.  If it was supposed to be some secret, it was the worst kept secret in southern Wisconsin.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
This.  I was getting discounts at Shoe Box in high school, and I wasn't even on the football team.  If it was supposed to be some secret, it was the worst kept secret in southern Wisconsin.

I have no idea if it is a NCAA violation for the discount, but these deals are all over in Milwaukee for the HS athlete.  Go to Burghardt's and tell them you are on so-and-so HS lacrosse team and you get a 10% discount.  Performance Running provides a similar discount to track and XC athletes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 11:28:00 PM »
I have no idea if it is a NCAA violation for the discount, but these deals are all over in Milwaukee for the HS athlete.  Go to Burghardt's and tell them you are on so-and-so HS lacrosse team and you get a 10% discount.  Performance Running provides a similar discount to track and XC athletes.

Same deal in Connecticut.  Some local companies like Woodbridge Running Company, offer a 10% discount for local HSs.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
Squirmy, ai1na?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback