Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam is pretty good  (Read 12975 times)

MuMark

• All American
Sam is pretty good
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/dribblehandoff/status/1021790802996015104?s=21

In the last 25 years, only 3 players have posted two seasons of 5+ RPG while shooting over 50% from 2, 40% from 3, and 80% from the line.

Doug McDermott, Alec Peters, & Sam Hauser (@Big_Smooth10)

Hauser's looking to become the first player to do it 3 times.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Sam is pretty good
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/dribblehandoff/status/1021790802996015104?s=21

In the last 25 years, only 3 players have posted two seasons of 5+ RPG while shooting over 50% from 2, 40% from 3, and 80% from the line.

Doug McDermott, Alec Peters, & Sam Hauser (@Big_Smooth10)

Hauser's looking to become the first player to do it 3 times.

NBA
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
Too 15 this year. Maybe higher.

JB, what's your opine?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »
When the comps are a journeyman who's played for 5 NBA teams already and a wash out who's already gone to Europe for next season I keep higher hopes for Sam. 

Unfortunately I think McDermott is a reasonable comp right now... just looking for Sam to do better than that. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00:56 AM »
i remember when jj redick came out of school as a pretty good college ball player.  picked #11 by orlando in the 2006 draft.  he took a few years to develop, probably more than to be expected of a 1st round, top 20 pick.  there was even a point where i recall that he was probably close to being a short footnote.  then during years 4-5-6-7 he kinda exploded back onto the scene, not in a superstar way, but a genuine player.

my point is, for most guys, making the transition from high school-college-nba still requires A LOT of hard work.  sometimes more for some than others. buckets has the ability to become a kyle korver type player sam has the talent and the work ethic to continue to improve and hopefully take it a notch up with each level he attains. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »
When the comps are a journeyman who's played for 5 NBA teams already and a wash out who's already gone to Europe for next season I keep higher hopes for Sam. 

Unfortunately I think McDermott is a reasonable comp right now... just looking for Sam to do better than that.

Unfortunately? Lol. The dude was just one of the greatest college basketball players in the modern era and just signed a $22M contract to continue playing basketball.

What a letdown that would be!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Sam is a very good college player.  I am not sure his combination of size and speed translates to the NBA.   6'7 small forward who shoots well but doesn't beat people off the dribble.  I will be I interested to see his lateral quickness this year post hip surgery.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
I love Sam, but he isn't Doug McDermott.  McD was a three time all American and national player of the year.  Sam hasn't even made Honorable Mention all Big East.

If Sam does anything close to McD in the NBA, it will be way more than I currently am expecting.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
I love Sam, but he isn't Doug McDermott.  McD was a three time all American and national player of the year.  Sam hasn't even made  was robbed when he didn't make even Honorable Mention all Big East.

If Sam does anything close to McD in the NBA, it will be way more than I currently am expecting.

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
It will be interesting if Sam can play the 3 as MU has 2 4's in Morrow and Joey.  Is he quick enough?  Can he guard 3's?  Will he be healthy enough to improve his
jumping and lateral quickness?  With Bailey and Cain MU has other 3's if he is not.  Lots of depth this year.  Maybe Sam plays as a stretch 4 with Morrow but Morrow
guards the 3's, it will be interesting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »
I have no worry about Sam guarding smaller, quicker forwards.  He'll be fine.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
Sam is a very good college player.  I am not sure his combination of size and speed translates to the NBA.   6'7 small forward who shoots well but doesn't beat people off the dribble.  I will be I interested to see his lateral quickness this year post hip surgery.

Agree with all of this...bolded is the real issue as far as NBA limitations/prospects.  Just not sure he'll ever be athletic enough to make it in NBA despite all of his great attributes as a player.

JJ Redick mentioned here in this thread - JJ is much quicker on his feet than Sam.  Not sure I see Sam running off tons of screens as does Redick, and being able to be effective.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »
It will be interesting if Sam can play the 3 as MU has 2 4's in Morrow and Joey.  Is he quick enough?  Can he guard 3's?  Will he be healthy enough to improve his
jumping and lateral quickness?  With Bailey and Cain MU has other 3's if he is not.  Lots of depth this year.  Maybe Sam plays as a stretch 4 with Morrow but Morrow
guards the 3's, it will be interesting.

Sam has and will continue to guard 3s. People really underestimate Sam's defense. He has been one of our top two defenders of the last two years (unfortunately not saying much)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Sam doesn't need to beat people of the dribble to make the NBA.  Can he defend well enough to be a 3 & D guy?

Recovering from hip surgery will be key.  Need to see what kind of lateral quickness and agility Sam has when he's healthy.

Sam also needs to quicken his release.  It's fine for college but guys like Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson have lightning quick releases. But Novak was able to do it as he put in the reps.  Sam could do the same.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »

Sam also needs to quicken his release.  It's fine for college but guys like Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson have lightning quick releases. But Novak was able to do it as he put in the reps.  Sam could do the same.

Good point.  Yes, I'll be focused on this as the season progresses.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
Novak at 6'11" isn't really a good comp.  But yeah he was able to quicken the release.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
I love Sam, but he isn't Doug McDermott.  McD was a three time all American and national player of the year.  Sam hasn't even made Honorable Mention all Big East.

I wonder what Sam's numbers would look like if he was the focal point of a mid-major offense like McDermott was. Sam was more efficient each of his first two years. eFG% were similar (slight edge to Sam as a freshman, & McDermott as a sophomore). McDermott was a slightly better rebounder, Sam has a better assist & turnover rates.

The biggest difference was usage. But if Sam isn't deferring to guys like JJ, Reinhardt, Luke, Rowsey, & Howard what would those numbers look like?

If Sam was on a team in the A-10, MVC, or Mountain West, might he have posted All-American numbers? Maybe he benefitted more from having Howard & Rowsey around, but maybe he averages 22/8 and is an All-American as the focal point against lower level competition.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
I think it is safe to say that Sam is maximizing the tools that are available to him at the Big East college level.  His on court performance shows it by both stats and the eye test.

Only time will tell if he can develop the requisite skills for the NBA.  The 3 and D role that seems to be in the NBA vanguard these days appears to be a logical fit.   The G League is the ideal venue for a young man like Sam to hone those skills, as the pace of play is very fast.

In the meantime I am going to thoroughly enjoy his next two season for MU. Once he is healthy we should see another outstanding year of progress.

JJJ put it very well about Sam:
https://twitter.com/chosenJAUN/status/806649610961883141
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
Novak at 6'11" isn't really a good comp.  But yeah he was able to quicken the release.

This isn’t on you Sultan...I’ve stood next to and chatted with Novak. He’s the smallest 6’11” guy I’ve met.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
This isn’t on you Sultan...I’ve stood next to and chatted with Novak. He’s the smallest 6’11” guy I’ve met.

Was gonna say similar.

I'd be very surprised if Novak was more than an inch taller than Sam (if that). Sam also seems to have at least as big a wingspan, and he is certainly more athletic than Novak ever was.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 10:56:43 PM »
IDK. I've stood next to Sam and I've stood next to Novak. I would say Novak has at least 3 inches on Sam. Could be wrong though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »
Just for fun let's do a Henry comp...

Sam is a better shooter, better passer, better defender, better 3point shooter, better free throw shooter, and better shooting percentage/EFG.

Hank was a better rebounder. 

... and hank went in the first round, pick 18 in what I think was a pretty weak draft.

Sam should do better than that, even next year.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »

Sam is a better shooter, better passer, better defender, better 3point shooter, better free throw shooter, and better shooting percentage/EFG.

... and hank went in the first round, pick 18 in what I think was a pretty weak draft.

Hank was also an 18 year old compared to a 21 year old Sam Hauser.

I am as big of a Sam Hauser fan as there is.  I would give you huge odds that Sam will not be a top 20 pick in the NBA Draft.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »

Sam is a better college player, but I think it's hard to sell that Henry wasn't the much better pro prospect. And of those skills, rebounding is the one that typically translates best to the next level. I also think those other skills are ones that are more teachable/refineable, whereas size is not.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
Sam is a better college player, but I think it's hard to sell that Henry wasn't the much better pro prospect. And of those skills, rebounding is the one that typically translates best to the next level. I also think those other skills are ones that are more teachable/refineable, whereas size is not.

But how do easy rebounds translate?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback