[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scarlett Johannson Quits Movie  (Read 22192 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Scarlett Johannson Quits Movie
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Trans community protests, Scarlett (not being trans and not wanting to offend) quits movie - ensuring that either the movie never gets made or it falls flat. As Pogo said, "We have seen the enemy and it is us".

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scarlett Johannson Quits Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
Trans community protests, Scarlett (not being trans and not wanting to offend) quits movie - ensuring that either the movie never gets made or it falls flat. As Pogo said, "We have seen the enemy and it is us".

Trans issue aside, it was a terrible casting choice.  The character she was going to play was a actual person who looked like this in real life:

Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
Politics.    Anyway, lots of theoretical movies don't get made for lots of reasons. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
Trans issue aside, it was a terrible casting choice.  The character she was going to play was a actual person who looked like this in real life:

The Dude who played Hamilton didn't look much like Alex - still was pretty awesome, IMHO.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
Were you going to see it if it got made? Be honest
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:33:58 PM »
Were you going to see it if it got made? Be honest

Very possibly.I would check IMDB, read reviews, etc.and then decide. I'm a movie guy and will watch anything well done.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
It's very important that we remain offended by everything.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
The trans community had a fair point, though.
First, ScarJo did nothing wrong in accepting the role and any criticism of her is bull----.

That said, there are an extremely small number of roles for transgender actors and so when a trans character comes along, there's wholly understandable disappointment when that role goes to a non trans actor. I mean, it's not as if trans actors are being afforded opportunities to play non-trans characters, you know?

As for the comment about Hamilton, let's at least recognize that was in no small measure because the creator of the show cast himself in the lead role and it was in a hip-hop musical, not biopic.
Methinks people might have felt differently had Kevin Hart been chosen for the title role in the film "Lincoln."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:10 PM »

As for the comment about Hamilton, let's at least recognize that was in no small measure because the creator of the show cast himself in the lead role and it was in a hip-hop musical, not biopic.
Methinks people might have felt differently had Kevin Hart been chosen for the title role in the film "Lincoln."

Chick said it was bad casting because Johannson doesn't look like the person she is portraying. That's bull. Lots of people (not just Miranda) play people they don't "look like".

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
Chick said it was bad casting because Johannson doesn't look like the person she is portraying. That's bull. Lots of people (not just Miranda) play people they don't "look like".

That doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.

I read one article who said that if they can't find a suitable trans male actor, they should cast a cis male.  I vote
 for Patton Oswald.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:18:56 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »
The trans community had a fair point, though.

That said, there are an extremely small number of roles for transgender actors and so when a trans character comes along, there's wholly understandable disappointment when that role goes to a non trans actor. I mean, it's not as if trans actors are being afforded opportunities to play non-trans characters, you know?

Baby steps. Right now (probably unfairly) there is no trans actor who is well known enough to carry this film. Biting off your nose to spite your face (and making sure the movie doesn't get made) is counter productive.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
That doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.

No, you don't. But lots of creative people who do this for a living disagree with your opinion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
I wonder if Johannson's decision had anything to do with her role with the Ghost in the Shell movie. She received similar criticism for taking on that role instead of a Japanese actress.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »
Baby steps. Right now (probably unfairly) there is no trans actor who is well known enough to carry this film. Biting off your nose to spite your face (and making sure the movie doesn't get made) is counter productive.

Why?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
I wonder if Johannson's decision had anything to do with her role with the Ghost in the Shell movie. She received similar criticism for taking on that role instead of a Japanese actress.

Nah man.

Here's the reason

Scarlett Johansson Ditches 'Rub And Tug' To Save 'Black Widow'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/07/13/scarlett-johansson-ditches-rub-and-tug-to-save-black-widow/#1bbe0e10398d

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

Why?

Well, if you want a story told and it isn't because you make demands that those financing the telling won't meet...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 11:25:57 PM »
Well she kinda cast herself. She's one of the producers of the movie. If she was just accepting a job, I think the high amounts of criticism would be a little unwarranted (Eddie Redmayne did a fantastic job in The Danish Girl) but if she cast herself then it gets a little iffy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Well, if you want a story told and it isn't because you make demands that those financing the telling won't meet...

Is the movie no longer being made?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »
Does this mean Sean Penn has to give back his Oscar for Milk?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
Does this mean Sean Penn has to give back his Oscar for Milk?

That's a little different but I suspect you know that.
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
That's a little different but I suspect you know that.
Typical for Chicos
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
This thread is obtuse as sh!t.

The damage didn't come from the original criticism. It came when Scarjo responded to that criticism like an ignorant @$$hole. That made the situation worse, and now she's taking her ball and going home - further proving she really has no interest in the community she was portraying, but was just Oscar hunting.

To then square peg/round hole that situation into a "everyone is too offended" or "trans people hurt their own cause" theme is just confirmation bias.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
Can't the people upset with her being in the film just make their own movie? #StopBullying
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 04:35:07 PM »
I thought actors were paid to pretend to be people they aren't.  Did you know Red in Shawshank Redemption is an Irish white guy in the novel.  I loved Morgan Freeman's performance as Red.  Isn't this what actors do? Take on roles of people they aren't? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
I thought actors were paid to pretend to be people they aren't.  Did you know Red in Shawshank Redemption is an Irish white guy in the novel.  I loved Morgan Freeman's performance as Red.  Isn't this what actors do? Take on roles of people they aren't?

Red from Shawshank is also a different situation. Red's race was not central to who he was as a character, nor was it central to the plot of the movie. In this case, the fact that the character is trans is the entire focus of the movie....plus the character is an actual person, not a fictional one.

You are also misunderstanding why people are upset. There are so few major roles that trans actors can play, it is upsetting for some people that when a role like this comes along, it goes to a cisgendered actor.

Another example of this was Exodus: Gods and Kings. The movie was about historical figures who were middle eastern....but they cast Christian Bale, Aaron Paul, and a few other white actors.

As Lenny pointed out, one reason is that there simply aren't many trans (or Middle Eastern) actors who are considered big enough names to carry a movie. So they cast cisgendered and white actors. But this creates a cycle. Trans and non-white actors aren't big enough to get lead roles but because they never get lead roles they can never get big enough to have lead roles.

In the end, all these people did was voice their opinion on the matter. It's ok to have a different opinion. Johannson didn't have to respond but she decided to. Personally, I don't see anything to get bent out of shape about.
TAMU

feedback