[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hanley cut from mornings on WSCR  (Read 9317 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Hanley cut from mornings on WSCR
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
Your floor-mate wasn't the only one who thought that.

It was a very, very, very common put-down of MJ back then.
I will take that as a compliment that I had the foresight to argue that he was insane. Of course I doubt I saw 6 championships on the way at that point.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 02:02:16 PM »
Dan versus callers was a bit. They purposely fed him meatball Chicago fans. He would tear those Superfans apart for being mothbreathing idiots. It was great radio. Just like Packers post game throw on the drunkest fans that call in to ramble on about how Jeff Janis will turn the franchise around.

If it was a "bit" it was grossly overdone. I got so tired of Bernstein picking on the defenseless every day that I stopped listening.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:05:01 PM by Lennys Tap »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
If it was a "bit" it was grossly overdone. I got so tired of Bernstein picking on the defenseless every day that I stopped listening.

Such a noble man.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
https://theathletic.com/422891/2018/07/06/dollars-and-sense-score-host-brian-hanley-attends-his-own-wake-after-death-by-decastro/

Good article with some background.  As always, from the quotes, proud that Hanley is an MU alum.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
I texted in best wishes to Hanley the other day to which he replied “Thanks. Ring Out Ahoya!” 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
Last Mully and Hanley today.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »
None of these hold a candle to the former Mike and Mike show on ESPN. I know I'm talking about a weine from Northwestern and a Domer but they were good together.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »
None of these hold a candle to the former Mike and Mike show on ESPN. I know I'm talking about a weine from Northwestern and a Domer but they were good together.

That's a full disagree.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »

Incorrect.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »

#scoophottakes

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Happy 8/3 Day to you 83Nationers out there!

https://twitter.com/NBCSInTheLoop/status/893319283572330496

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/11/29/chicago-radio-ratings-wbbm-newsradio-top-story/

The most precipitous decline was at Entercom sports/talk WSCR 670-AM, which dropped from sixth place to 18th, losing 33 percent of its audience share without Chicago Cubs broadcasts to draw listeners. Hardest hit were middays and afternoons on The Score, both of which fell out of the top 10.

I think everyone except DeCastro saw this coming.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/11/29/chicago-radio-ratings-wbbm-newsradio-top-story/

The most precipitous decline was at Entercom sports/talk WSCR 670-AM, which dropped from sixth place to 18th, losing 33 percent of its audience share without Chicago Cubs broadcasts to draw listeners. Hardest hit were middays and afternoons on The Score, both of which fell out of the top 10.

I think everyone except DeCastro saw this coming.

Haugh is...not good.

He got absolutely b!tch-slapped by Akiem Hicks a few weeks ago, when Haugh kept asking Hicks about KMack.  It was uncomfortable.

Parkins and McNeil are painful.  Instead of Bernstein and Goff talking race, it's Mac telling Parkins how young he is and Parkins talking about how young he is.  Mac must spend 5 minutes on his show prep while he's taking his pre-show crap.

Haven't listened much to Bernstein and McKnight to give them a review.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »

losing 33 percent of its audience share without Chicago Cubs broadcasts to draw listeners.

You mean DePaul basketball isn't drawing listeners?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
Haugh is...not good.

He got absolutely b!tch-slapped by Akiem Hicks a few weeks ago, when Haugh kept asking Hicks about KMack.  It was uncomfortable.

Parkins and McNeil are painful.  Instead of Bernstein and Goff talking race, it's Mac telling Parkins how young he is and Parkins talking about how young he is.  Mac must spend 5 minutes on his show prep while he's taking his pre-show crap.

Agreed.  I haven't listened more than 5 minutes since the Score made their lineup changes. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »
Haugh is...not good.

You're being very, very generous to Mac on his prep time. His destiny was to sell trucks in NWI. The Score should have left him there.

Haugh was brutal when he was on The Game. Not surprised to see the morning show ratings down with him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
Change is inevitable, and obviously the health and well being of Boers declining necessitated some changes, but I've found the new lineup to be a rough go.

What's funny to me is I used to never be a big Laurence Holmes fan, but have found him to be more enjoyable over the last few months. Maybe it's because he's the one constant when there isn't a Cubs/Bulls game.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
Change is inevitable, and obviously the health and well being of Boers declining necessitated some changes, but I've found the new lineup to be a rough go.

What's funny to me is I used to never be a big Laurence Holmes fan, but have found him to be more enjoyable over the last few months. Maybe it's because he's the one constant when there isn't a Cubs/Bulls game.

Love Lawrence.   Good interviewer.  Old time radio style.  Perfect time slot, his show wouldn't work during the day.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
Agreed.  I haven't listened more than 5 minutes since the Score made their lineup changes.

Same- I have stopped listening to sports radio entirely.  Only podcasts now, and only a few of those.  No knuckle headed callers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »
Same- I have stopped listening to sports radio entirely.  Only podcasts now, and only a few of those.  No knuckle headed callers.

Same. I was full time listener. Switched to podcasts after the shake up, not looking back.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
Same. I was full time listener. Switched to podcasts after the shake up, not looking back.

Just curious, do you listen to LeBatard’s podcast? Judging by your posts, I think you’d enjoy him. It’s my must listen each day.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »
Just curious, do you listen to LeBatard’s podcast? Judging by your posts, I think you’d enjoy him. It’s my must listen each day.

He's a filler listen. The daily pod kinda hurts I think. I'm very golf heavy and PMT. DLB fills the content gap, which is important over the winter. Maybe I'll make it a higher priority.

KenPom started a podcast, it's gaining momentum.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 02:39:49 AM »
You're being very, very generous to Mac on his prep time. His destiny was to sell trucks in NWI. The Score should have left him there.

Haugh was brutal when he was on The Game. Not surprised to see the morning show ratings down with him.

Its unbelievable how bad he is.  Parkins is knowledgeable but he has no personality and him trying to tell "humorous" stories about his life just fall flat.

Mac boasts about not watching games.  "I taped that one, I'll catch it this weekend" and then tells some stupid interlude about fishing.  He's an absolute clown.

Bernstein and McKnight aren't too bad.  Certainly better than the aforementioned.  Feels low Bernstein toned himself down a bit.

Totally agree on Laurence.  He's great and he's got his niche.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Actually, I'm coming to like Paul Finebaum on ESPN Radio more and more. He is an acquired taste, but there is something about him that's simply appealing when your in a car for a couple of hours.

Every Bubba in America calls in and wants to talk SEC football with Paul.

That said, Paul is a bright guy (even if he is a UT Vol) and he has a very dry sense of humor. he plays off his callers well.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
He's a filler listen. The daily pod kinda hurts I think. I'm very golf heavy and PMT. DLB fills the content gap, which is important over the winter. Maybe I'll make it a higher priority.

KenPom started a podcast, it's gaining momentum.

True, the simulcast of LeBatard is better than the pod. I work out of my home office, and have the simulcast on in the background of my office.

His show you certainly have to “get” to start liking it. Years ago it took me a little while to warm up to it, but once I figured it out, it’s to me the best “sports” show out there.