[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread  (Read 19908 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
2018 NBA Offseason Thread
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
With the unsurprising news that Kawhi wants out of San Antonio, the first of the always entertaining NBA offseason dominoes is lining up to fall.

I think if I'm the Spurs, the deal I jump at is something with Sacramento, wherein I dump Gasol's contract with Leonard, and ask for the #2 pick this year and a pick swap with Sacramento's #1 in 2020.

Spurs would sprint to the podium to draft Doncic at 2. Sacramento's 2019 pick goes to either Boston/Philly, and Leonard will hit the market in time for Sacramento's 2020 pick to be very attractive.

I think the Spurs will try to dump Gasol's contract on to someone else in any deal, which would make it very tough for Boston to match contracts. Sacramento can do it. I don't think the Lakers have enough attractive assets to pull something off for Leonard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
With the unsurprising news that Kawhi wants out of San Antonio, the first of the always entertaining NBA offseason dominoes is lining up to fall.

I think if I'm the Spurs, the deal I jump at is something with Sacramento, wherein I dump Gasol's contract with Leonard, and ask for the #2 pick this year and a pick swap with Sacramento's #1 in 2020.

Spurs would sprint to the podium to draft Doncic at 2. Sacramento's 2019 pick goes to either Boston/Philly, and Leonard will hit the market in time for Sacramento's 2020 pick to be very attractive.

I think the Spurs will try to dump Gasol's contract on to someone else in any deal, which would make it very tough for Boston to match contracts. Sacramento can do it. I don't think the Lakers have enough attractive assets to pull something off for Leonard.

Why would Leonard sign off on going to Sacramento? The Spurs would also have to take $25-30M in garbage contracts back.

LAL could give pick #25, Ball or Ingram, Kuzma and Deng's contract. That's probably better than what Cleveland got for Kyrie but it's still not a great package.

Bulls potential offer: Dunn, Lopez's contract and Picks #7 & #22.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:16:29 PM by MerrittsMustache »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »
I'd give Bledsoe, Thon, and a number of firsts to get him to the Bucks.  If he agrees to extend with the Bucks I'd give anything and everything not named Giannis.

Obviously he will never play for the Bucks, but it's fun to dream of him and Giannis playing together.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56283.0

Could also bump and combine this thread.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
I'd give Bledsoe, Thon, and a number of firsts to get him to the Bucks.  If he agrees to extend with the Bucks I'd give anything and everything not named Giannis.

Obviously he will never play for the Bucks, but it's fun to dream of him and Giannis playing together.

The Bucks would have to give first rounders pretty far into the future based on their Phoenix trade for Bledsoe.

I doubt a sign and trade with Jabari is possible.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
Why would Leonard sign off on going to Sacramento? The Spurs would also have to take $25-30M in garbage contracts back.

LAL could give pick #25, Ball or Ingram, Kuzma and Deng's contract. That's probably better than what Cleveland got for Kyrie but it's still not a great package.

Bulls potential offer: Dunn, Lopez's contract and Picks #7 & #22.

The Spurs can trade Leonard anywhere they want, he can say he wants to go to LA, but the Spurs can/should explore all options.

If the Spurs flipped Gasol/Leonard to Sacramento for Shumpert/Jackson/Koufus/Temple, Spurs save 5 mil against cap this year, and all but Jackson expire next year. That’s significant for the Spurs.

The Spurs could just say eff you to Kwahi and force him into purgatory and have him sit this year, but I don’t think they will.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
What a win for OKC. Not only did George re-sign, he passed on the 1+1 offer and committed to at least 3 years. Crazy that their gamble last summer paid off.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
What a win for OKC. Not only did George re-sign, he passed on the 1+1 offer and committed to at least 3 years. Crazy that their gamble last summer paid off.

I thought taking that risk was a good move for OKC at the time, but I didn’t think it would pay off after they were eliminated. Now they can build around two legit superstars and see where it goes.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Ilyasova deal is tough to figure out. The Bucks are now backed into a corner on Parker. Maybe they wanted the open market to dictate things, but now they’re stuck.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
Ilyasova deal is tough to figure out. The Bucks are now backed into a corner on Parker. Maybe they wanted the open market to dictate things, but now they’re stuck.

I don’t think the concept of Ersan is bad. Good shooter. Good rebounder. Contract isn’t bad.

I just don’t think they are anywhere close with Jabari. And I’m ok with that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
I don’t think the concept of Ersan is bad. Good shooter. Good rebounder. Contract isn’t bad.

I just don’t think they are anywhere close with Jabari. And I’m ok with that.

I don’t disagree on the skill set and contract, I’m more curious if they already made up their minds on Parker. On paper, it would have helped the Bucks to figure out Parker first, and then sign Ilyasova, but of course they risk him signing elsewhere. The hard cap number they’re at now essentially means they’re moves are done, unless they can get creative in the trade market.

I also didn’t notice when I originally posted that year 3 isn’t guaranteed, which certainly works in the Bucks favor long term.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
I think I saw somewhere that Ersans deal also uses part of the mid level exception and the Bucks could match a Jabari deal of up to $20M. I wouldn’t do that though. I just don’t think Jabari is their future.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Bringin' back Ersan is like kissin' yo sista. Bucks wooda bin far mo progressive and forward thinkin' ta sign Kevon. Same old Bucks, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
Bringin' back Ersan is like kissin' yo sista. Bucks wooda bin far mo progressive and forward thinkin' ta sign Kevon. Same old Bucks, doe, hey?

They aren’t similar players.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
Yeah butt ders only sew much bread in da kitty. Signin' Illyasova and bringin' back Jennin's is bendin' over and blowin' a good-bye kiss ta Jabari, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »
Ersan for $7M for two years is better than tying up money in Jabari. Parker could be a real bad contract for someone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »
Orr a reel steel, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
Unless a team makes a terrible decision, Zach Lavine is going to be terribly disappointed this offseason.

The turd thinks it's funny the Bulls may think he's "only" worth about $15 million a year. The potential is obvious but his shot selection, lack of defense, and inability to move the ball are glaring.

I'm fine if the Bulls are able to retain him for something reasonable but otherwise I have no issue with him leaving.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
No 'prise, Nicholson's seats just went up price, aina?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:27:25 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
No 'prise, Nicholson's seats just went up price, aina?

And they’ll only go up more when Kawhi follows in 12 months.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
Do the Bucks have the best player in the East?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
per twitter:

"Active players who've made All-NBA 1st team, by current conf.:

West
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Stephen Curry
Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
DeAndre Jordan
Marc Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose

East
Joakim Noah

TBD
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade"

jesmu84

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
  king james signs 4 year $154 million with lakers

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23967725/lebron-james-joining-los-angeles-lakers-4-year-154-million-deal

comment on twitter under big cat's post-dio'nardo dicaprio-
Dio’nardo DiCaprio

@Chris_Diooo
 18m18 minutes ago
More
Replying to @BarstoolBigCat
Lebrons the girl in high school who sleeps with everyone but can’t figure out why everyone says mean things about her...

damn that was funny!!

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
The east is wide open.   For the honor of getting swept.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback