[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread  (Read 19925 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
The east is wide open.   For the honor of getting swept.

It was always going to be a 3 team race for a Title and this move doesn't change anything.

Warrios
C's
Rockets
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
So the trade at the deadline with the Lakers and Cavs made this all possible.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 11:57:59 PM »
It was always going to be a 3 team race for a Title and this move doesn't change anything.

Warrios
C's
Rockets

It changes everything.  Lakers now 2nd best odds to win title.  http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23967995/los-angeles-lakers-title-odds-improve-markedly-acquisition-lebron-james

Why?  LEBRON JAMES.  GOAT

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
It changes everything.  Lakers now 2nd best odds to win title.  http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23967995/los-angeles-lakers-title-odds-improve-markedly-acquisition-lebron-james

It changed absolutely nothing for this season. The Lakers supporting cast is worse than the Cavs was. The Cavs and the GOAT got swept.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »

Casual bettors like to bet popular teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers.  So those teams can often have inflated odds based on betting volume, whether they're contenders or not.

Casual bettors also like to bet on stars like Lebron.  It's the same reason Aaron Rodgers is inflating the Packers Super Bowl odds for next year.

So you have a double whammy of Lebron and the Lakers.  Vegas is responding to the betting public, not declaring the Lakers the 2nd best team.

They're also pricing in potential future acquisitions.  Vegas is protecting itself in case the Lakers add another superstar or two via free agency and/or trade.  Vegas is preventing the Lakers from being a value bet, just in case Lebron builds another superteam.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
LBJ to LA seems more about where he wants to live to ease into retirement versus where he thinks he can win titles.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
Who else is excited for the Space Jam sequel featuring LBJ, DWade and the rest of the banana boat crew?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
Casual bettors like to bet popular teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers.  So those teams can often have inflated odds based on betting volume, whether they're contenders or not.

Casual bettors also like to bet on stars like Lebron.  It's the same reason Aaron Rodgers is inflating the Packers Super Bowl odds for next year.

So you have a double whammy of Lebron and the Lakers.  Vegas is responding to the betting public, not declaring the Lakers the 2nd best team.

They're also pricing in potential future acquisitions.  Vegas is protecting itself in case the Lakers add another superstar or two via free agency and/or trade.  Vegas is preventing the Lakers from being a value bet, just in case Lebron builds another superteam.

Not only calm and reasonable but correct.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
In the meantime, Thon Maker is about as good at landing flying kicks as he is shots from outside 15 feet (hi-yoooo).

<a href="https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/tpb5brntkzj8sjy1tcix.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/tpb5brntkzj8sjy1tcix.mp4</a>

https://deadspin.com/huge-brawl-breaks-out-during-australia-philippines-bask-1827285509

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
LBJ to LA seems more about where he wants to live to ease into retirement versus where he thinks he can win titles.

Could be, but I also think it's probably fairly easy to convince other superstars to come join him in Southern California than it is Cleveland or even Phili.

He could have either Cousins or Capela joining him this offseason and then Kawhi or Klay next offseason.  Add in the shooters that he'll bring with him and that's a team that can compete.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »
Could be, but I also think it's probably fairly easy to convince other superstars to come join him in Southern California than it is Cleveland or even Phili.

He could have either Cousins or Capela joining him this offseason and then Kawhi or Klay next offseason.  Add in the shooters that he'll bring with him and that's a team that can compete.

Yeah I guess I didn’t want it to sound like a comfy retirement location. I just think he thought “location” first versus “best place for title”. At least immediately.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
Yeah I guess I didn’t want it to sound like a comfy retirement location. I just think he thought “location” first versus “best place for title”. At least immediately.

Agreed.  I think he definitely put more emphasis on lifestyle and stability for his family than in the past and punted on this season.  But I think the Lakers will be back to Showtime by the 2019-2020 NBA season.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
I really respect LBJ's decision, the guy is 1 or 1A all timer, he's won titles in Miami and brought one to Cleveland, he's still incredible at his age, and he made a business and lifestyle decision. If the Warriors stay together and LeBron can get a decent team together in the next two years, should be fun to watch.

Selfishly, I hope another max superstar eventually joins LA so they have to keep Malik Newman and his minimum contract. As my brother told me last night, I'm probably the only person in the world who's viewing the LBJ signing from that angle :-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »

I think it's less about easing into retirement than post-basketball aspirations of becoming an entertainment mogul. Regardless of how realistic those are, or how successful he becomes, it makes more sense for him to be in LA than Philly or Cleveland or Houston, especially since that's where he was going to end up eventually.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »
Agreed.  I think he definitely put more emphasis on lifestyle and stability for his family than in the past and punted on this season.  But I think the Lakers will be back to Showtime by the 2019-2020 NBA season.

I don't think LeBron "punts" on much -- and with his ego, I doubt he has consigned himself to lose even next season -- but I do think I do get what you're saying.

I could see Magic selling LeBron on going to LA, getting the mogul thing started during the offseason, working to school the few really good young Lakers on what it takes to win big, and then being joined by Leonard or Kemba Walker or some other stud (or two) to make some serious noise the last couple/few years of his contract.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »
I really respect LBJ's decision, the guy is 1 or 1A all timer, he's won titles in Miami and brought one to Cleveland, he's still incredible at his age, and he made a business and lifestyle decision. If the Warriors stay together and LeBron can get a decent team together in the next two years, should be fun to watch.

Selfishly, I hope another max superstar eventually joins LA so they have to keep Malik Newman and his minimum contract. As my brother told me last night, I'm probably the only person in the world who's viewing the LBJ signing from that angle :-)

Malik could be the new guy LeBron yells at all the time!

For real though, was surprised he fell as far as he did and think he's going to stick around for a while in the NBA.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2018, 04:41:26 PM »
What in the world are the Lakers doing? Rondo over Randle?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
I think it's less about easing into retirement than post-basketball aspirations of becoming an entertainment mogul. Regardless of how realistic those are, or how successful he becomes, it makes more sense for him to be in LA than Philly or Cleveland or Houston, especially since that's where he was going to end up eventually.

Yep, he's made LA his offseason home for a long time with multiple properties.  He's clearly looking at phase 2 of his career with acting and producing and the like.  Recruiting potential talent to the Lakers is much easier than the Cavs too, so that makes sense going forward.  Though it was interesting to see none of the marquee FAs waiting on his decision to make moves.

As for the odds, Lakers being that high is about as valid and predictive to next season's performance as Tiger being an Vegas favorite to win the Masters, follow the dumb public money.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »
What's the point of even having the playoffs next year?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Lol, the NBA blows.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 08:24:16 PM »
Boogie to GSW

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
Cousins is about to ease himself back in his rehab. Get his ring, and then sign a big fat deal in Miami or the like and chase checks like Joe Johnson the rest of his career, having fun. The ultimate finess for a guy who had 6 years of basically automatic double-double production wasted in Sacramento

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2018, 09:48:43 PM »
Cousins is about to ease himself back in his rehab. Get his ring, and then sign a big fat deal in Miami or the like and chase checks like Joe Johnson the rest of his career, having fun. The ultimate finess for a guy who had 6 years of basically automatic double-double production wasted in Sacramento

Smartest decision ever.  He doesn't have to worry about rushing back next year.  He can ease into the season, recover fully, win a title and sign a massive contract. 

Great decision. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Smartest decision ever.  He doesn't have to worry about rushing back next year.  He can ease into the season, recover fully, win a title and sign a massive contract. 

Great decision.

GS was going to win again next season with or without Cousins. On top of that, they already have their equivalent of a deadline acquisition. Win-win for both sides. Even if Cousins comes back at 75% of what he was, it'll be chalked up to his role in the offense and he's going to PAID next offseason, plus he'll have a ring. Well played, Boogie.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
GS was going to win again next season with or without Cousins. On top of that, they already have their equivalent of a deadline acquisition. Win-win for both sides. Even if Cousins comes back at 75% of what he was, it'll be chalked up to his role in the offense and he's going to PAID next offseason, plus he'll have a ring. Well played, Boogie.

Disagree, Houston had them on the ropes last year before CP3 went down. It wasn't going to be a foregone conclusion this year (and still might not be if Boogie doesn't heal right or screws with the locker room). Especially with the Celtics getting Kyrie & Hayward back + a year of improvement for the young players, you never know where Kawhi will end up (maybe Philly, would make them an instant contender), etc.

GSW should be the overwhelming favorite now, but there are some serious challengers. The sweep last year was a function of the East being terrible. Houston would have beaten the Cavs in 5 or 6.