[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Open Thread  (Read 6528 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
US Open Thread
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
I like that Shinnecock Hills proudly uses an an Indian Warrior in their logo.

Tiger opens with an 8 over round . The course was playing tough average score was 6 over. I think he rallies tomorrow and makes the cut as he was not striking the ball poorly. The course is brutal and any slight miss around Greens is magnified.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
Re: US Open Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
I like that Shinnecock Hills proudly uses an an Indian Warrior in their logo.

Kshatriya?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:25 PM »
  kind of fun to watch these guys work hard toward par.  classic u.s. open.  betcha they miss erin hills eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
My favorite Open course. Next decade is all classic courses. I am already planning to attend when they hit Los Angeles CC. Might end up being a special venue.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
  kind of fun to watch these guys work hard toward par.  classic u.s. open.  betcha they miss erin hills eyn'a?

This could've been Erin Hills, if it didn't rain for a week and actually had the average prevailing wind.

This is fun, I was too busy to pay close attention today, but super excited for the weekend. You're supposed to be alone on Father's Day, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
This could've been Erin Hills, if it didn't rain for a week and actually had the average prevailing wind.

This is fun, I was too busy to pay close attention today, but super excited for the weekend. You're supposed to be alone on Father's Day, right?

My Father's Day "present" for the last many years has been for everybody to leave me alone so I can watch the U.S. Open while I enjoy various bad-for-me foods and my favorite malt beverages. This year will be no different!

I really don't care if the "big names" are there or not on Sunday, but I do want it to be an exciting finish. I hate when one guy runs away with it, like Koepka did last year.

Now that they have extra holes rather than a whole 'nother round, I'm hoping for a tie after 72.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:40 AM »
PTM

Erin Hills still has great potential. If they had played at par 70, which they will next time, the overall response of the tournament would have been much better. As for prevailing wind, I am not so sure that comes into play as much at Erin. I have played there many times and have experienced a mixed bag in terms of wind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 05:27:24 AM »
speaking of erin, didn't they heed to the complaints about the thickness of the fescue before the party even started?  i thought i remember them showing them hacking it down and thinning it out some just days before the big dance

anyone hear what the stimp is at shinnecock this weekend?  has got to be around 16? hell, the fake fronts are ??? 

happy fathers day to all you old(and young) codgers out there!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 07:10:46 AM »
MU82

I have had the same Father’s Day gift from my family. My sons have become big golfers and bigger fans of the first three majors, and I know have a crew watching with me. This year we starting out with golf in the morning, followed by non stop couch time watching the Open.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
It was fun watching and thinking 'hey, I can make 7 from the middle of the fairway too'.  Good thing they slowed the greens down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
Goose

Erin Hills potential isn't in question, it's a great track. Another gem for the state of Wisconsin. As for the wind, I've played there twice now. Had wind and didn't have wind. When it comes it blows. My company had a crew on-site doing some speciality work two weeks prior to the event and then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday making emergency repairs. I got a chance to head up there a couple times the week before and the wind was HOWLING each time. It was a great experience going out there before the event, chilling. Walked the course once to scope out watching areas, I thought the pros were going to get torn apart watching them practice.

The guys out there that week voiced concerns, and the USGA listened unfortunately. The mowers came out, like rocket said. I then went on course Wednesday for the practice rounds. Followed Rickie, JT and Duf. They were tearing it apart, a complete 180 from what I saw the week before.

Side note - our efforts have been removed or covered up at Erin Hills during the reconstruction. The areas that were covered up were GPS'ed so that they can be recovered for next time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:26:52 AM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
PTM

No doubt the wind can howl there, but it cannot be taken for granted. Make par 70 and narrow fairways, make greens a tad smaller and it would difficult task with or without wind. My point was the wind is not a given there and banking on that is rolling the dice. I would say that it has been 50-50 in regards to being windy when I have played there over the years. I would guess I have 20+ rounds there and I love the track.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
FOX Sports Go is great for multiple screens of the US Open. FS1 and featured groups screens.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
MU82

I have had the same Father’s Day gift from my family. My sons have become big golfers and bigger fans of the first three majors, and I know have a crew watching with me. This year we starting out with golf in the morning, followed by non stop couch time watching the Open.

Yes, it was fun watching with my son when he started showing an interest and we all lived in the same house/town. But now that I'm 700 miles away, I've got to fly solo ... and that's fine.

You're lucky to have a crew of loved ones there; I envy how you spend your Sunday.

When should I come over?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
Tigers comeback still a work in progress.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
MU82

Always welcome to join!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
Truly is amazing to think that it's been 10 years since Tiger won a major.

I mean, if any of us had said in 2008, "Tiger's toast; he'll never win another major," we'd have been shipped to the looney bin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
I wonder what kind of odds Vegas would have given on 0 majors for Tiger for the next decade back in 08.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »
Matt Parziale makes the cut.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »
Not quite building up to a Masters like finish, but it'll be a fun weekend.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
Tiger hit the ball well but had enough mistakes to miss the cut. I think he will do better at the British Open.

In the meantime will be interesting to see if Dustin Johnson can continue to play well during the weekend. The Guys behind him have to stay steady and Post pars.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »
Tiger hit the ball well but had enough mistakes to miss the cut. I think he will do better at the British Open.

In the meantime will be interesting to see if Dustin Johnson can continue to play well during the weekend. The Guys behind him have to stay steady and Post pars.

Agree. Tough course. Chewed up and spit out a bunch of world class golfers. I'm not giving up on Sergio, Spieth, Day, Kuchar, et al yet either. Can't just look at +10 and say he's finished. Worth continuing to follow the storyline.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »
A couple of costly mistakes and poor putting for Tiger. I think he will do better at Carnoustie, as traditionally, British Opens have slower, flatter greens.   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
some of the best golfers in the world got humbled by shinnecock.  what does this really mean?  that they aren't really that good?  spieth and lefty are obviously struggling, but otherwise, i would have thought that shinnecock would be in their wheel house. 

macllroy, watson, jason day et.el tried to over power the course

you could feel the tension in the air-what was the over/under of clubs rahm would break? ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 07:11:14 AM »
Phil was let down by his putting, just like Tiger.  They showed him still on the putting green at 7:20, still putting, but with a conventional grip and not the claw.  You know he is frustrated when he is contemplating a grip change between rounds at a major.
The first two rounds were distinguished by the number of putts missed and lack of bombs.  Also forgotten is how close DJ came to a lost ball in the first round before Rich Beem stepped on it in the horse.  That could have been a momentum changer.