[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Media company frenzy  (Read 16756 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Media company frenzy
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
AT&T and Time Warner merger approved.

Comcast allegedly will attempt to buy Fox next.

Remember when there were anti-Monopoly laws? Pepperidge farms remembers

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Media company frenzy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »

Isn't Disney trying to already buy Fox?

The orange cheeto tried to stop AT&T but lost today.  Monopolies suck, even if this is more like a triopoly when it all gets done.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:46:00 AM »
Will this make my cable or ISP bill go up?  Because I love when that happens.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »

Did the sun come up today?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »

I mean, when distribution and content companies merge, that's always been good for the public, right?

We need like 3 corporations in the world. I'm willing to be joe 6 pack will be much better off in that situation

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »

I love it when my water and electricity bills go up, too.   As we pay people more, costs of services will go up whether that is actors, baseball tickets, electricity. maintenance on the car. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
I mean, when distribution and content companies merge, that's always been good for the public, right?

We need like 3 corporations in the world. I'm willing to be joe 6 pack will be much better off in that situation

Fair point, but I'm as leery of the FANG guys, too.  Facebook Amazon Netflix Google.  They shouldn't get a free pass and what I am reading this and other mergers are a hedge against their increasing dominance.
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
I love it when my water and electricity bills go up, too.   As we pay people executives and administrators more, costs of services will go up whether that is actors, baseball tickets, electricity. maintenance on the car.

FIFY

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »
Haven't checked in here in a while.

I see that people with economic understanding have left the building.     

Read WSJ take on ATT Time Warner.  In summary, the media world is changing at light speed and the past does not equal the future.  Cable companies are dead. 

In the mean time, I'm going back to Dodd's Land.  Not quite as much fun, but it is more diverse.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
In the mean time, I'm going back to Dodd's Land.  Not quite as much fun, but it is more diverse.

Thanks for the update!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »

A super majority of conservatives is what passes for diversity these days?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
FIFY

Execs tend to get their increases in stock performances, and yes some wage increases. 

If you look at the 10 year view, most Americans have received wage increases between 2% and 6% in most years.  Not sure what you are fixing.

When costs go up, like wages, costs of goods go up.  Econ 101.  Businesses have to cover wages, health care, pensions and that means most years companies raise prices.  B to B, B to C.  Inflation captures this. 

— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
A super majority of conservatives is what passes for diversity these days?

I'm guessing he thinks most us here lean the opposite way.
— Plato

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
Execs tend to get their increases in stock performances, and yes some wage increases. 

If you look at the 10 year view, most Americans have received wage increases between 2% and 6% in most years.  Not sure what you are fixing.

When costs go up, like wages, costs of goods go up.  Econ 101.  Businesses have to cover wages, health care, pensions and that means most years companies raise prices.  B to B, B to C.  Inflation captures this. 

I'd like you to have a talk with my employer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
Isn't Disney trying to already buy Fox?

21st Century Fox already accepted Disney's offer, but the deal hasn't closed and Comcast has stepped in with a higher cash offer.

When rumors about Comcast's interest in Fox first broke, most experts believed Fox would stick with Disney's offer because they thought it would be more likely to pass regulatory muster. However, with the T/TWX deal getting done, now many of the same experts are thinking a Comcast-Fox deal probably would be allowed, too.

So basically all bets are off, and it looks like there will be a bidding war.

Here's a brief article with a few pertinent bullet points:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3363754-comcast-unveils-65b-cash-bid-fox-assets-setting-disney-war
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »

Economics is one of those fields everyone assumes they know better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 05:36:49 AM »

i am sure ya'll noticed this, but just in case...has anyone noticed how much of the cable and cell phone bills are "fees" "taxes" and "regulatory charges"?  without doing the exact math, it's probably between 20-25%!!  a
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
I'd like you to have a talk with my employer.

Here is the chart last ten years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth

— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:47 PM »

Health care costs have risen about 3 times as fast as wages, severely eroding the positive impact of any wage increases.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
Health care costs have risen about 3 times as fast as wages, severely eroding the positive impact of any wage increases.

As well as housing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/economist-home-prices-are-increasing-twice-as-fast-as-income-growth.html

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:07:52 PM »

You know you cherry-picked a good time frame, right? (I know you know, you are an intelligent individual)

Wages in the US wiki (just as an example):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

As you're aware, there was a recession, which caused a bottoming out of salaries. Around 11-12 years ago, the real median wage in the US was about the same as it is today. Then we experienced a recession, where the median wage fell precipitously over a period of a few years. Since, wages have been bouncing back.

If you just focus on the bounce-back, things are wonderful! But all of this occurred after a significant dip.

Things are looking good - I don't disagree with you there. My point is that we are likely to continue seeing peaks and valleys, and that's only considering wages... Not really the big picture. It can only tell you so much.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 12:11:55 AM »
You know you cherry-picked a good time frame, right? (I know you know, you are an intelligent individual)

Wages in the US wiki (just as an example):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

As you're aware, there was a recession, which caused a bottoming out of salaries. Around 11-12 years ago, the real median wage in the US was about the same as it is today. Then we experienced a recession, where the median wage fell precipitously over a period of a few years. Since, wages have been bouncing back.

If you just focus on the bounce-back, things are wonderful! But all of this occurred after a significant dip.

Things are looking good - I don't disagree with you there. My point is that we are likely to continue seeing peaks and valleys, and that's only considering wages... Not really the big picture. It can only tell you so much.

I would agree.  By all means feel free to click on the max button on the chart that shows it going back to the 1960's if you wish. And yes there will always be peaks and valleys with the economy.  I don't believe I was the one who said executives were the only ones with increased wages on average yearly. 

Costs go up.  Healthcare, housing, wages, you name it.  As a result, prices go up.  Whether it is your internet, a Big Mac, TV, or most other things.  Some prices remain steady, but in my experience most tick up year to year on average because of the inherent costs associated with delivering those goods and services.
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 05:57:00 AM »
I would agree.  By all means feel free to click on the max button on the chart that shows it going back to the 1960's if you wish. And yes there will always be peaks and valleys with the economy.  I don't believe I was the one who said executives were the only ones with increased wages on average yearly. 

Costs go up.  Healthcare, housing, wages, you name it.  As a result, prices go up.  Whether it is your internet, a Big Mac, TV, or most other things.  Some prices remain steady, but in my experience most tick up year to year on average because of the inherent costs associated with delivering those goods and services.

Cost go up. Wealth in the middle and lower classes has not. Wealth for the rich has gone up.

And that appears to mostly secondary to corporate policy and corporate influence/lobbying on government policy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:00:55 AM by jesmu84 »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
21st Century Fox already accepted Disney's offer, but the deal hasn't closed and Comcast has stepped in with a higher cash offer.

When rumors about Comcast's interest in Fox first broke, most experts believed Fox would stick with Disney's offer because they thought it would be more likely to pass regulatory muster. However, with the T/TWX deal getting done, now many of the same experts are thinking a Comcast-Fox deal probably would be allowed, too.

So basically all bets are off, and it looks like there will be a bidding war.

Here's a brief article with a few pertinent bullet points:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3363754-comcast-unveils-65b-cash-bid-fox-assets-setting-disney-war

Thank you.  My wife has been a Disney shareholder for what seems like forever.  In late May she received probably a 400 page booklet on the proposed deal and to vote for their takeover of Fox.   Looks like that industry is consolidating to survive, get bigger or die mentality of corporate America.  I hate seeing that, but there is truth in it that without scale you cannot survive.
— Plato