Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is next season's schedule too advanced for our talent?  (Read 25605 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Is next season's schedule too advanced for our talent?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
Big schools play schools.

Mid-majors play mid-majors.

Nobodies play nobodies.

If we're ready for Prime Time, we'll know it by Christmas. If we're not, we'll be looking for Santa to leave us a new coach under the tree.

Candidly, I admire Wojo and the scheduling folks. Short of scheduling Duke, Kentucky and Carolina in back-to-back-to-back games, this is about as tough a challenge as we can expect for the pre-conference season. We look good in the early season and we'll be contending for the conference championship.

If Marquette wants to go uptown, we have to play with the big boys. Pure and simple.

So when SWAC schools play 13 road games against high majors for their non-conference does that make them big schools?  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
I really like how this schedule is shaping up.  Hope this continues for many years to come.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
So when SWAC schools play 13 road games against high majors for their non-conference does that make them big schools?  ;D

Only before christmas
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 05:53:50 PM »
I have my doubts. There are certainly question marks we just cannot answer right now. How far will Sam be in his recovery. Remember it is not only being able to play, but it is getting up to the level we are used to. Our two incoming freshmen did not play at all last year. How long will it take them to get comfortable playing at the college level? How many games does it take our graduate transfer point guard to get use to playing in MU's system and click with the current players? This team could be very good early or a complete disappointment and it this has nothing to do with Wojo.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »

No.  It makes them solvent.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
I wouldn't put any of those games at 90% likely to win (or 90% to lose). I would put it more around 70% which would equal .7+.7+.7+.3+.4+.4 = 3.2. Meaning 3 wins should be expected. Of course both of us are just making up numbers at this point.

Let me rephrase. If we play to expectations in each individual game, we will go 3-3.

I guess. But of course then a team that's a 30 point favorite in game 1 and a 2 point dog in the next 19 that goes 1-19 played to expectations in each individual game. I'd still say they had a disappointing season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Next year is Wojo's year.  Have to like he is picking up the gauntlet.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
Big schools play schools.

Mid-majors play mid-majors.

Nobodies play nobodies.

If we're ready for Prime Time, we'll know it by Christmas. If we're not, we'll be looking for Santa to leave us a new coach under the tree.

Candidly, I admire Wojo and the scheduling folks. Short of scheduling Duke, Kentucky and Carolina in back-to-back-to-back games, this is about as tough a challenge as we can expect for the pre-conference season. We look good in the early season and we'll be contending for the conference championship.

If Marquette wants to go uptown, we have to play with the big boys. Pure and simple.

I tend to agree with the first bolded sentence. If the team is healthy and gels by Christmas, then an exciting year could be ahead.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the second bolded sentence. Wojo has put together, on paper a talented team. There are too many uncertainties to judge his season at Christmas. Give him the full season to bring it together.

That said, I'm in the camp that he really needs to begin to show his chops this season or I might lean towards looking elsewhere.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
Heck, I think we may know whether this team is ready for Prime Time by the time we chow down on turkey in late November.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Coach Wojo needs a full year and I'm firmly in his camp. But, if we're at a losing record by the time we play the Badgers and our defense is still shaky, then I think when the NCAA Tournament Committee convenes in March to select, we better have blown through the Big East schedule and wasted Villanova at least once or we're going to be seeing three nasty letters: N-I-T again!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 12:16:04 PM »
I think Wojo has put together a very good team. However, I think you guys are ahead of yourselves with expectations. Look how good Jae Crowder was suppose to be and how good he turned out to be. He had his breakout game against West Virginia. It took him dozen games to become a star. I think Baily and Joey are going to be really good. I also would be surprised if they are ready in November, especially since they did not play at all last year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
I think Wojo has put together a very good team. However, I think you guys are ahead of yourselves with expectations. Look how good Jae Crowder was suppose to be and how good he turned out to be. He had his breakout game against West Virginia. It took him dozen games to become a star. I think Baily and Joey are going to be really good. I also would be surprised if they are ready in November, especially since they did not play at all last year.

You can also use this logic to say that while Romeo Langford will likely be a lottery pick, he won't be as good in his 2nd or 3rd collegiate game (I don't know anything else about I4's schedule but I'd imagine we're their first high major).  Both K-State and Tenn have good experienced teams, but drawing Kansas in November is far preferable to March with the youth they'll have.  We're playing at home against Madison and Buffalo and should be heavy favorites in both.  3-3 in those six I would be slightly disappointed, but not surprised, anything above .500 and we'll be in great shape for conference play IMO.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
This schedule is what we need because it's rubber meets the road time. We return 4 starters and our entire bench. We add a seemingly ideal fit grad transfer, a proven and experienced forwards, and a five-star freshman. This schedule will give us evidence in no uncertain terms if Wojo has built a contender or pretender. We're past the point of wins for wins sake. Play good teams and prove we belong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »

1. As DJO pointed out, this impacts all teams, not just ours. We are returning a lot of experience so theoretically it should impact other teams more than us.

2. I remember Jae Crowder very differently than you do. He had 11 and 7 in his first game, a double double in his second game, 17 and 9 in his 3rd game, 15 and 4 steals against Duke, 10 and 5 steals against Gonzaga, scored 22 points in another game....all before the West Virginia game. Yes, West Virginia was his biggest game up until that point....but he was pretty "broken out" already. Crowder made a huge impact from Day 1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
Heck, I think we may know whether this team is ready for Prime Time by the time we chow down on turkey in late November.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Coach Wojo needs a full year and I'm firmly in his camp. But, if we're at a losing record by the time we play the Badgers and our defense is still shaky, then I think when the NCAA Tournament Committee convenes in March to select, we better have blown through the Big East schedule and wasted Villanova at least once or we're going to be seeing three nasty letters: N-I-T again!

Grate bein' firm, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Class71

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Hmm, let's see what people say at the end of the season. We hold Wojo accountable, how about our predictors?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

mug644

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
Hmm, let's see what people say at the end of the season. We hold Wojo accountable, how about our predictors?

I'm willing to hold Wojo accountable at the end of the season (though I acknowledge that my opinion is meaningless to the powers that be). My point earlier in the thread is that we might have an inkling before Christmas, but it most certainly won't be the time to judge.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »
The schedule is not too advanced for our talent. I would much rather play tough teams instead of a trash Georgetown schedule.  I don't really ever care to watch a Chicago State team come to town. As another post, defense is the key. I give Wojo a pass by playing two Smurf guards. No team will ever be good defensively with that in your lineup.

I think if this team seriously stinks on defense then we really need to consider moving on.  Sammy's hip for sure affected him defensively this year. Minus Smurfs. Minus a big 6'11" stiff that couldn't jump for crap. Addition of a big guard that is experienced. Increasing size at every position.

As soon as I start reading the 0.713 probability, the forecasted SOS I start to block out that post. All I know is that we were one bad loss against DePaul or St John's from being tied for third in conference and going to the Big Dance!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
With expectations through the roof next season and consensus that it's a make or break year for WOJO, I'm curious if anyone out there shares Porky's concerns that the non con schedule is getting ahead of our talent and might be too ambitious.  SOS is obviously very important but only to the extent that you can win at least 40% of those games. SOS without W's is useless and Porky is not buying that this roster is as talented as we all want it to be and on the precipice of consistently being a Top 25 program.  The coaching staff as it's currently configured doesn't give Porky much confidence either but is hoping talent will overcome the staff's deficiencies.  Nothing would make Porky happier than to be dead wrong about this come next March but recent history does not provide much comfort.  Thoughts?

Kevin ONeill overscheduled one year and it hurt us as much as wearing those LA Gear shoes.  We had talent, but very young.  This year's team has talent and experience which worries me less, but it is a good question.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
I'm worried our schedule won't be tough enough.

We're gonna be so filthy good that I don't want our ladz getting bored with all the easy wins!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:11 PM »
With expectations through the roof next season and consensus that it's a make or break year for WOJO, I'm curious if anyone out there shares Porky's concerns that the non con schedule is getting ahead of our talent and might be too ambitious.  SOS is obviously very important but only to the extent that you can win at least 40% of those games. SOS without W's is useless and Porky is not buying that this roster is as talented as we all want it to be and on the precipice of consistently being a Top 25 program.  The coaching staff as it's currently configured doesn't give Porky much confidence either but is hoping talent will overcome the staff's deficiencies.  Nothing would make Porky happier than to be dead wrong about this come next March but recent history does not provide much comfort.  Thoughts?
The last time we had a tough schedule in anticipation of a quality team was Buzz last year.  We ended up on the wrong end of some close games and it obviously hurt our team come tournament time. So yes there is an element of risk. That said, this type of schedule increases the number of chances to put a quality win on the board.  The selection committee seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on quality wins, so this schedule provides the pathway necessary.

At the end of the day the coaches have the best view to where we stand, where the conference as a whole stands and  they would not have made this type of schedule without some degree of enhanced  confidence in the team and understanding of our relative position in the conference.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »

Grate bein' firm, aina?

Long as it don't last more than 4 hours, doc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »
The last time we had a tough schedule in anticipation of a quality team was Buzz last year.  We ended up on the wrong end of some close games and it obviously hurt our team come tournament time. So yes there is an element of risk. That said, this type of schedule increases the number of chances to put a quality win on the board.  The selection committee seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on quality wins, so this schedule provides the pathway necessary.

At the end of the day the coaches have the best view to where we stand, where the conference as a whole stands and  they would not have made this type of schedule without some degree of enhanced  confidence in the team and understanding of our relative position in the conference.

In Buzz's last year, we played 2 ranked teams in non-con: No. 10 Ohio State and No. 8 Wisconsin. Lost both. Also played a San Diego State team that wasn't ranked but would go on to have a fine season. Lost to 'em. Played a good New Mexico team that made the NCAAs (but lost in the first round). Lost to 'em. The only other decent team we played was Arizona State, who finished 10-8 in a meh Pac-12. Lost to them, too. The rest of the schedule was populated with Southerns and Gramblings and IUPUIs.

So if this year's non-con really is on a par with that one, I hope our lads take care of business better than Buzz's 0-5 showing against good teams.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
In Buzz's last year, we played 2 ranked teams in non-con: No. 10 Ohio State and No. 8 Wisconsin. Lost both. Also played a San Diego State team that wasn't ranked but would go on to have a fine season. Lost to 'em. Played a good New Mexico team that made the NCAAs (but lost in the first round). Lost to 'em. The only other decent team we played was Arizona State, who finished 10-8 in a meh Pac-12. Lost to them, too. The rest of the schedule was populated with Southerns and Gramblings and IUPUIs.

So if this year's non-con really is on a par with that one, I hope our lads take care of business better than Buzz's 0-5 showing against good teams.

I think the character, chemistry and make up of this year’s team is much different than that of Buzz’s last team are night and day. 

Wojo and staff obviously believe that there is a ton of talent on this roster and want to challenge them and that is what we have been asking for for 5 years now.  If Wojo wants to embrace it, then we should as well.  Next two years should be really entertaining.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
I love the NC schedule, regardless of outcome. It is going be a good test for the squad and will definitely make the team better down the road. I never would question a schedule being too difficult. Every year I am jealous of other programs having big time NC match ups. While these are not true big time match ups, it is a big step in the right direction.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »
I think the character, chemistry and make up of this year’s team is much different than that of Buzz’s last team are night and day. 

Wojo and staff obviously believe that there is a ton of talent on this roster and want to challenge them and that is what we have been asking for for 5 years now.  If Wojo wants to embrace it, then we should as well.  Next two years should be really entertaining.

Agree on all of the above.

feedback