Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette releases early designs for sports research center  (Read 23782 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Marquette releases early designs for sports research center
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
How is the relationship between MU and the Brewers?  Would it make more sense to start working with the Crew on these athletic facilities, if the partnership could be worked out?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Based on the information I've heard from people who know some of the Aurora situation, it was going to be a hard sell for the university to agree to Aurora's requirements. Some of what was proposed included:
-the student health clinics running through Aurora's system (read: potentially no way for Marquette to refrain from providing contraceptives).
-no free care for students
-no more of the department run nurse, pa, or dental clinics, no pro bono clinics, and all staff would be Aurora.(the clinics are a huge learning opportunity for students and would be a big hit to those programs)

Secondly, heard from an engineer friend that there is a large steam pipe running through the land on Michigan which forced Marquette to reassess what they were hoping to build.

I am not completely disputing what your are saying here, and some of it makes sense, but I want to clarify a few facts:

The clinic on campus doesn't give out contraception now, so what would change with Aurora taking it over? It has been a source of complaints of subpar healthcare since before I went to school there, and I have long been an advocate of the University bringing in an outside vendor to take it over.

Also, it's not free.  Every student has a separate line for the clinic fee on their itemized tuition bill. If I am not mistaken, you may also get charged on top of that for certain tests and procedures.

The third point, if it is true, would indeed be a complete deal-breaker.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:34:44 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

source?

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »
I am not completely disputing what your are saying here, and some of it makes sense, but I want to clarify a few facts:

The clinic on campus doesn't give out contraception now, so what would change with Aurora taking it over? It has been a source of complaints of subpar healthcare since before I went to school there, and I have long been an advocate of the University bringing in an outside vendor to take it over.

Also, it's not free.  Every student has a separate line for the clinic fee on their itemized tuition bill. If I am not mistaken, you may also get charged on top of that for certain tests and procedures.

It sounds to me like he is saying Marquette would be required to provide contraceptives

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

Third point is true with 99% confidence on my end.  Another consideration/ fall out from that would be the clinicians who are MU employees would potentially become Aurora employees or loose their jobs, children of employees get a free ride to MU, so consider the push back.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
[...]
-no free care for students
[...]

It wasn't free when I was there '05 - '12. Plus they didn't take insurance. So it was: "Enjoy your convenient, but crappy, care. Also, here's a bill. Insurance? What's that?"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »
It sounds to me like he is saying Marquette would be required to provide contraceptives

Probly bedder ta just prohibit fookin' in da student handbook, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »

Anyone know if this is still in the student handbook? I was always told it was when I was there but never bothered to look it up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »
Anyone know if this is still in the student handbook? I was always told it was when I was there but never bothered to look it up.

Isn't on there currently. I thought there was a no sex in dorms rule but idk how I'd find that old handbook
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

Oral, hey?
Goal is National Championship

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
How is the relationship between MU and the Brewers?  Would it make more sense to start working with the Crew on these athletic facilities, if the partnership could be worked out?

I like this. Getting Heldt on those Braun/Hader supplements would really help out the team.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2018, 04:02:14 PM »
Oral, hey?

Yeah, but we're talking about contraceptives, which are useless against oral pregnancies.

CKCS

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »
Aesthetically, it's a blunder. Maybe they can make lemonade out of it, but it was plenty public that the Bucks were not happy when MU announced the Aurora partnership.

So MU cuts the Aurora deal, which leads to the Bucks backing out and pursuing their own project, which leaves Marquette alone with the Michigan location. They follow that up by moving it to a smaller location and losing the partnership that started this all in the first place.

The timing of things also looks bad. When the arena funding came up, there were questions if Marquette should contribute. I remember hearing the Bucks response was not to worry about it. Then this falls through and the rent negotiations are more difficult than expected. Maybe it's unrelated and it was always going to be a slog, but on the surface, it's a blunder.

And add this to the bad optics...

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/05/24/advocate-aurora-health-plans-250m-hospital-complex.html

CKCS

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
Got some kind of, you know, information, sources, insight into your "just a theory?" Perhaps the willingness to not use an anonymous screen name with 4 posts to its name to share?

Otherwise, kindly don't take offense when the rest of us disregard you the way we do any old egg on twitter that's yapping from beneath his tin foil hat.

Hey! You must be Chair of the Welcoming Committee...thanks for the warm welcome

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »

And add this to the bad optics...

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/05/24/advocate-aurora-health-plans-250m-hospital-complex.html

Oh no. Aurora's building a new hospital!

Someone fetch my fainting couch.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
Hey! You must be Chair of the Welcoming Committee...thanks for the warm welcome

Feel free to do something to lend yourself any credibility whatsoever. Your real name is a nice start. Otherwise you're an anonymous troll on the internet.

GGGG

• All American

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
What does this have to do with anything.

I would think this would make Marquette look better. Aurora’s priorities shifted and they put that $40 million elsewhere.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »
I've wondered about that too.  Indifference I can understand.  But I suppose trolls will do what they do. 

Anyway, the renderings are great.  Now not to throw cold water on this but you all do understand that a version of this was Larry Williams' brainchild.  I attended an event the day of the Davidson game down in Lexington where we discussed it and the $$ necessary.  Broadening the concept to what it is now happened after Dr. Lovell arrived.   

Marquette's allocated funds for this are exactly zero right now.  Advancements has its hands full funding this baby. Don't think I've heard numbers yet.

Larry brought this up at the NYC alumni event too. He was all in on getting the field house done, once he had rescued the lacrosse programs financially.  Perhaps it gets done if here were still around.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:41:16 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2018, 05:21:24 AM »

Crew are also with Froedert for what it's worth. If Aurora wanted MU to give up the pro bono clinics, I'm glad MU walked away. It's totally against the mission of the university. What a weird process, but nothing in health care makes sense sometimes (on the business side).

CKCS

• Walk-On
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
Feel free to do something to lend yourself any credibility whatsoever. Your real name is a nice start. Otherwise you're an anonymous troll on the internet.

Wow, what a mean-spirited group you all are, not tolerant of newbies or differing viewpoints...not what I was taught at MU...have fun in your mean echo chamber...

feedback