[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90026 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »
I had DirectTv and MLB Extra Innings, for over a decade.  We recently switched to Hulu Live.  I'll sign up for MLB TV, which should be the equivalent of Extra Innings.

However, I have no idea how to watch Herr Ricketts' new Cubs channel.  Any ideas? 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »
We're planning to cancel UVerse next week. I started our 14-day free trial of YTTV on Saturday and so far have been pretty impressed. I miss the convenience of numbered channels that I can just navigate to by pressing numbers, but that's absolutely not a deal breaker for the amount we'll be saving. If anyone has YTTV and has any tips on how to better navigate from channel to channel, that would be great.  I do like that when you hit the down button (on Roku...not sure if they are all the same, but I suspect they are) you see the last several channels you've been to.

My wife laughed when we turned it on last night and the "Suggested for You" (or whatever it is called) had three college basketball games and the Cavaliers game. It didn't take long for them to figure out what I like to watch.

Maybe UVerse will offer us a deal when I call to cancel, but I'm not expecting it. I just have to decide if we're going to keep our internet with ATT or whether we'll be switching that to COX.

Also, the family sharing thing is absolutely fantastic for my kids at college.

My tip: If you do not see the program or channel you want in the "Home" page/screen, go to "Live" find it, click on it.....then go back to Home Screen/Page and it will be there. I prefer to change channels quickly in home screen page picks for you. This allows me to do just that if I do not see what I want right away.

I have had some connection glitch issues at times using Roku.....spinning circle, black screen.(not a connection or speed problem)  I have had to go out and back in a few times to re-start. It is some glitch between Roku and YTTV.  They have credited the account multiple times because of it. Otherwise it has been fine.

I have a few other people on my account that are elderly/disabled and the elderly ones are having more of the learning curve from numbers/satellite to the new system.

Very pleased overall thus far.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »
F'ing ATT/UVerse. Just when I had gotten very prepared to cut the cord and go all in with YTTV -- and was actually looking forward to it -- they caved. I called to find out what it would cost to cancel UVerse and our land line and just keep internet. Our current bill has been $199 (are you f'ing kidding me?!) (approximately $173 before taxes and fees). They quoted me a new price for TV and Internet at $92 (plus taxes and fees).  It's not apples to apples, because it doesn't include the land line. But we'll be cancelling the land line anyway if we go to YTTV.

So, now my decision point is $92 for Uverse/Internet (no data cap) versus $99 for YTTV/Internet (1TB cap).  Damn it. I think I'm probably going to have to stay with UVerse.  I gotta admit I was really liking the unlimited DVR and the ability to access it on all devices.

Anyone have any insight on the 1TB cap? Is that enough? Most of what I read says it isn't an issue at all.

Edited to add: As ridiculous as it sounds, one of the biggest things making me want to stay with ATT is my wife's email account (an sbcglobal.net account). I think she would lose that if we change. Does anyone know about this? She has so many things tied to that email address that it will be a huge hassle to change it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:46:22 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »
F'ing ATT/UVerse. Just when I had gotten very prepared to cut the cord and go all in with YTTV -- and was actually looking forward to it -- they caved. I called to find out what it would cost to cancel UVerse and our land line and just keep internet. Our current bill has been $199 (are you f'ing kidding me?!) (approximately $173 before taxes and fees). They quoted me a new price for TV and Internet at $92 (plus taxes and fees).  It's not apples to apples, because it doesn't include the land line. But we'll be cancelling the land line anyway if we go to YTTV.

So, now my decision point is $92 for Uverse/Internet (no data cap) versus $99 for YTTV/Internet (1TB cap).  Damn it. I think I'm probably going to have to stay with UVerse.  I gotta admit I was really liking the unlimited DVR and the ability to access it on all devices.

Anyone have any insight on the 1TB cap? Is that enough? Most of what I read says it isn't an issue at all.

No insight on the data cap, but I made a similar switch just last week and AT&T wasn't nearly as generous with their offer, perhaps because I was dumping DirecTV, and not UVerse.
The last-ditch offer to keep me (after 20+ years of DirecTV) would have knocked about $75 off my monthly bill, but only for one year. And that still wasn't as much as I'm saving by switching to YTTV. The switch was official Monday, and so far, so good. The user interface for YTTV is less convenient, but every time I get annoyed by it, I remind myself of how much I'm saving and how I never have to deal with lost service during a storm or after a major snowfall.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
No insight on the data cap, but I made a similar switch just last week and AT&T wasn't nearly as generous with their offer, perhaps because I was dumping DirecTV, and not UVerse.
The last-ditch offer to keep me (after 20+ years of DirecTV) would have knocked about $75 off my monthly bill, but only for one year. And that still wasn't as much as I'm saving by switching to YTTV. The switch was official Monday, and so far, so good. The user interface for YTTV is less convenient, but every time I get annoyed by it, I remind myself of how much I'm saving and how I never have to deal with lost service during a storm or after a major snowfall.

The offer they made me is also only for a year.

The more I think about it, the more I think I still might drop UVerse. One factor that I forgot to mention before is that we added a TV that currently is not hooked up to UVerse. We watch Netflix on it, but of course it gets YTTV. If we continue with UVerse, I'll add it which will cost another $10/mo (plus a one-time $49). That makes it pretty much a wash from a price perspective.

I'd been planning on switching the internet to Cox, but the ATT is a little cheaper and we'd be able to keep the sbcglobal email address if we stick with ATT. Although I think the Cox is quite a bit faster.  Decisions...decisions.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2020, 02:03:54 PM »
How is Uverse TV service? I've only had TWC/Spectrum before.

I saw some pricing that would take me below what we pay for YouTube TV/Spectrum internet. I generally like YTTV, but the fact that they can't get the video stuttering fixed on Fire devices is really irritating.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »

I saw some pricing that would take me below what we pay for YouTube TV/Spectrum internet. I generally like YTTV, but the fact that they can't get the video stuttering fixed on Fire devices is really irritating.

Over the years it's been pretty good. We had a period of time a year or so ago when it would cut out from time to time, but they fixed it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
The cancellation queue is the only place to get price breaks.  The regular reps have no authority whatsoever.

And breaking the cable/internet email tie sucks.  Sbcglobal is a classic, how old is that email?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
Edited to add: As ridiculous as it sounds, one of the biggest things making me want to stay with ATT is my wife's email account (an sbcglobal.net account). I think she would lose that if we change. Does anyone know about this? She has so many things tied to that email address that it will be a huge hassle to change it.
Similar to your wife's email account, we ended up keeping our landline because so many things are tied to that number.  We ended up going with Magic Jack. It was about $25 for the jack and another $20 to port the number, by now it runs < $4/month.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:49:42 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »

Your dish wasn’t setup correctly or moved then.  Should have next to no issues if it is lined up properly. 

Don’t worry, you will have outages with YTTV....no one is immune regardless of service.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2020, 03:54:08 PM »

It will stop being sold very shortly, they are all in on AT&T TV which is the best of live linear and video apps in one service.   I’ve been a beta tester for over 12 months, very nice quality, fast and I can go into Netflix without switching devices....all in one device.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
Your dish wasn’t setup correctly or moved then.  Should have next to no issues if it is lined up properly. 

Maybe. In that case, DirecTV needs to affiliate with better technicians.
But I'm not sure the location had anything to do with it when snow freezes atop the dish and it takes days to melt away, as has occurred on a few occasions. My home is surrounded by a lot of tall trees, so keeping the dish in a location where I could brush away the snow without hauling out  20-foot ladder never was an option.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
Sbcglobal is a classic, how old is that email?

I honestly don't remember.  I think UVerse was pretty new when we got it, and it's apparently been around since 2006.

It will stop being sold very shortly...

I guess that's good to know.

No insight on the data cap...

I was able to check my current usage and saw that we average about 285 Gigs a month, with spikes as high as 400G when all the kids were home. That concerns me a little bit because our usage certainly will go up if we switch to a purely streaming service.  However, on those spike months our kids were watching an awful lot of Netflix and Hulu.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »

I'd been planning on switching the internet to Cox, but the ATT is a little cheaper and we'd be able to keep the sbcglobal email address if we stick with ATT.

We had ATT what seems like decades ago and I had an sbcglobal.net email address up until about a year ago when I logged in and closed it out.  So I would say if you cancel you will get to keep the sbcglobal email.  I had it for probably 15 years without having ATT.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
We had ATT what seems like decades ago and I had an sbcglobal.net email address up until about a year ago when I logged in and closed it out.  So I would say if you cancel you will get to keep the sbcglobal email.  I had it for probably 15 years without having ATT.

Thank you. That's good to hear.  I googled it and saw some conflicting information. Some say yes; others say no.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »

My AT&T 300/300 fiber has a 1TB cap.  Family of 4, two boys watching Youtube, PSVue (now YTTV) .. I've had it for almost two years now .. at first I was very concerned about the cap and watched my usage somewhat daily.     

After 6 months of never even hitting 500 gigs, I stopped watching.  1TB was fine for our family of 4.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Thank you. That's good to hear.  I googled it and saw some conflicting information. Some say yes; others say no.

Let's hope it has not changed since I cancelled....again, years and years ago.....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
My AT&T 300/300 fiber has a 1TB cap.  Family of 4, two boys watching Youtube, PSVue (now YTTV) .. I've had it for almost two years now .. at first I was very concerned about the cap and watched my usage somewhat daily.     

Any 4K content?

After 6 months of never even hitting 500 gigs, I stopped watching.  1TB was fine for our family of 4.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »

Don’t worry, you will have outages with YTTV....no one is immune regardless of service.

Really? My dish goes out whenever snow covers it. And frequently whenever there's a heavy rain. There is absolutely NOTHING above/around it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Just make sure you stop YTTV and not just turn the TV off. My parents got caught their first month and had to pay the data overage

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:20 AM »
I had DirectTv and MLB Extra Innings, for over a decade.  We recently switched to Hulu Live.  I'll sign up for MLB TV, which should be the equivalent of Extra Innings.

However, I have no idea how to watch Herr Ricketts' new Cubs channel.  Any ideas?

Mlb.tv seems so have very basic (ip based) location checking. I've easily used just my VPN to go "out of market" and watch games.  Easily the best value package of all major sports!

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
Mlb.tv seems so have very basic (ip based) location checking. I've easily used just my VPN to go "out of market" and watch games.  Easily the best value package of all major sports!

I watched two MU games while in Barbardos earlier in January.  Did a google search for how to do it and downloaded an app called Fake GPS and the rest of the setup was fairly easy.  I have YTTV.  Next time I am going to take my Chromecast device with me and watch them on the TV instead of my phone.  That will be much nicer.  :)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
4k content?

Admittedly, no.  I have a year old 4k TV but just never stream that way.   I watched the Superbowl in 4k for a while, then flipped back and forth to see if I noticed a difference.  I really did not, so continued to watch it on PSVue which was all 720p.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »

The agreement between Marquee and Hulu Live was announced today.  Apparently, still nothing with YouTube TV.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
I just received an email from MLB.com... apparently, season ticket holders now get a complimentary subscription to MLB.tv.

Frankly, it’s not like they’re giving up much, since a season ticket holder isn’t otherwise likely to subscribe since they can’t watch their home team’s games... unless they’re one of the rare season ticket holders that live out-of-market.

The cost of my cord-cutting just dropped $120/yr.

Finally... living in Illinois pays off. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback