[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 92735 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Sony Vue Shutting down
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
I made this prediction awhile ago, finally came true today.  Sony Vue is shutting down.  In the end, there will only be 3 or 4 that will stand and the video world will be similar to what it was a few years ago....just a matter of time as consolidation and market forces solidify. 

https://thestreamable.com/news/scoop-playstation-is-shutting-down-in-january

No surprise here. Psvue was amazing when it first came out and changed the course of the game. Disney and Google came in and gave them a smacking.

Good news is Hulu live and youtube TV are both much better options.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Sony Vue Shutting down
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
No surprise here. Psvue was amazing when it first came out and changed the course of the game. Disney and Google came in and gave them a smacking.

Good news is Hulu live and youtube TV are both much better options.

YouTube loses money every subscription they sell.  Every. Damn. One.  AT&T did as well until last week.  Streaming services survive only at the moment from bigger companies with deep pockets to prop them up.

Eventually that comes to an end, and people will be paying a lot more money then they do now.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »
Hulu live or Youtubetv?
Thank you

muwarrior69

• All American

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/01/772064221/how-to-pick-the-streaming-tv-services-you-actually-want

Thought this my help.

Deggans knows his stuff, that’s a pretty good outline.  I didn’t see him mention Fubo.  I work on or with almost all of these services, or have friends that are employed by them.  Each have their pros and cons.

I would recommend to people to look what is avail in their area, to.  If local channels or sports are important, not all services have the rights in all areas.  It might be a perfect fit in LA, but a bad fit in Milwaukee because of missing channels. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Hulu live or Youtubetv?
Thank you

Depends what you want.  Depends what you will be missing...the biggest thing we see when people leave they complain they are missing 3 to 5 channels they used to have.  It comes down to how important are those channels for you.

For example, with YouTubeTv is A&E important to you?  How about some (not all) of the Scripps channels.  I believe they are missing some RSNs as well.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
Thanks—I’ve had sling and OTA. Great last year. Need to do something this year.
So, to answer the question—it’s all about the MU games..nothing else.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
Hulu live or Youtubetv?
Thank you

This is the best helper on the net.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »
Thanks—I’ve had sling and OTA. Great last year. Need to do something this year.
So, to answer the question—it’s all about the MU games..nothing else.

If you are in WI, YouTube TV has FS1, FS2, FS WI, and CBSSN, so all the games should be covered.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
YoutubeTV vs Hulu .. which one will be in the streaming business longer?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
YoutubeTV vs Hulu .. which one will be in the streaming business longer?

Those two will eventually merge. 

Hulu needs to differentiate itself, and YTTV needs a larger platform.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »

Who's selling their portion off then? Disney w/ silent Comcast (Hulu) or Google (YTTV)? Or is there another JV between the two? I think they both stay in business. Google is currently moving all their media under the YouTube umbrella for video and audio. YT Music is now the default audio player for Android not Google Music. The YT brand will be Google's consumer driven platform. Hulu is essentially Disney's streaming service but they get Comcast content. How long does Comcast stay an equity investor is to be seen.

If I were to guess I would think YTTV stays with Hulu TV Streaming getting sold off. Though, I believe both stay for a while.
But I like to throw handfuls...

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »
Got an e-mail that ATT TV Now (formerly DirectTV Now) is going up to $60/month.  Think it's time to jump ship.  YouTube TV still the go-to?

Edited to add:  I am currently on the grandfathered "Live a Little" package which has MTV.  I suspect they are trying to price me out of this plan as it is no longer offered.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:52:40 PM by g0lden3agle »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »

I beg to differ.  Disney now owns almost all of Hulu.  It’s their wedge against Google (YouTubeTV) and they don’t want to cede that.  Fubo will eventually crumble. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »
Got an e-mail that ATT TV Now (formerly DirectTV Now) is going up to $60/month.  Think it's time to jump ship.  YouTube TV still the go-to?

Edited to add:  I am currently on the grandfathered "Live a Little" package which has MTV.  I suspect they are trying to price me out of this plan as it is no longer offered.

Is MTV an incentive or disincentive?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2019, 09:11:06 PM »
YTTV has been great for me. Except MU’s first game. But honestly, solid.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2019, 07:13:24 AM »

So far so good with YouTube TV.  $50 a month for many/most channels of cable/satellite. Customer service has been great compared to the others. If you send message requesting a phone call you get one asap from CA. Was offered two months free to start. One negative... Movie channels are extra and priced similar to regular price of cable/satellite. (i never paid regular price for them) .

But $50 with the sports channels I want, and other channels I want minus movie channels, including no limit DVR etc.   Pretty good right there.  Having up to six people if wanted on the same account at different locations is the key for me. I already have 3. So $12 plus a month per household, plus internet costs. .. tough to beat. And I have received lower cost internet offer at two of three locations long term price.

DirecTV new customrr was $50 year one for everything including movie channels then re-negotiate as price doubles. One location couldn't get it due to huge trees at their house) Dish long term pricing is getting tough to keep in the $70's with Top 200 plus movie channels and free sports package. Cable was by far worst offer with $85 plus a month for a new customer. I laughed. The change for me was channel disputes with Satellite companies and distributors.

TV has become a month to month thing at this point for me. So when prices and packages change down the road sooner or later I will deal with it then.

If you want the closest thing to satellite and cable, YouTube TV is it. if you have one home on the account and you don't mind not having some channels, and lower cost is important, maybe look around. I know YouTube TV went up to $50 a month a few months back but for us there is still a big cushion for a while in price because of having multiple people on the account.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »
So Glow and I are weighing our TV options for our new home in Wisconsin.

Hulu Live is looking good with local Milwaukee channels and Fox Sports Wisconsin.  My question is, what channels will we be able to access when we are in other areas?  I assume we won't be able to stream the local channels while we are in Las Vegas, for example, but what about all of the other cable channels that come with a subscription?
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »

Hulu Live is looking good with local Milwaukee channels and Fox Sports Wisconsin.  My question is, what channels will we be able to access when we are in other areas?  I assume we won't be able to stream the local channels while we are in Las Vegas, for example, but what about all of the other cable channels that come with a subscription?

that's good question-i have 2 separate hulu accounts.  one on my yahoo-unlimited-which i use at my office(8 tv's) and home(5 tv's) and the other on my gmail for arizona(3 tv's)  i think you have to be able to access your internet provider which is why i believe i had to set up the 2 different accounts.  yahoo-wisconsin-spectrum internet.  arizona-centurytel internet.  i can access either on my ipad/phone, but you have to check in on one or the other within a certain time span. 

i may be doing this all wrong, but it's the only way i understand it and it's less expensive than paying for cable in 2 different locations by far.  i'm open for other suggestions however.  it has reduced my utility bill at the office/home by $2-300 and Az. by close to $150. 

on another note-don't use verizon for multi-line office-brutal.  switching back to spectrum phones 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »

I have Hulu live and have not missed a game.  Sometimes I have to sign into fox sports go app via my Hulu account but have yet to have an issue either at home or multiple times on the road in other locations.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
I was reading very mixed things about Hulu Live TV's DVR as well as its remote streaming privileges while not in your primary household that had me leaning towards YTTV.  Interesting to know that remote streaming doesn't seem to be an issue with you Frenns

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »
Is MTV an incentive or disincentive?

Lol.  I was mostly just mentioning that because at some point there rejiggered their packages when they were losing out on Viacom channels but I am still on a plan which has them.

That, but I'm also a The Challenge junkie.  Cannot get enough of that show!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
Love me some Johnny Bananas!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »
Question for the YTTV subscribers.  I'm in the middle of a trial and while the live TV picture quality is fine, and even good at times, it's terrible for shows I add to the library/DVR. Like, standard definition terrible. Not watchable terrible.
Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be, but I can't figure out why such a discrepancy.
Any ideas why this is happening or if it can be improved?
Thanks much.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
Question for the YTTV subscribers.  I'm in the middle of a trial and while the live TV picture quality is fine, and even good at times, it's terrible for shows I add to the library/DVR. Like, standard definition terrible. Not watchable terrible.
Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be, but I can't figure out why such a discrepancy.
Any ideas why this is happening or if it can be improved?
Thanks much.

What streaming device are you using, and what type of internet speeds are you working with?

We have had no problems with picture quality on a TCL Roku TV, or one on a Fire Stick. Our internet runs about 225 mbps.

Also, the YTTV Reddit is helpful for these things as well... And YouTube developers pop in and answer questions from time to time.