Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Koby McEwen to Marquette  (Read 25096 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Koby McEwen to Marquette
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
Wojo said he wanted to get old and stay old.

Might not always be possible but looks like we are on the right track.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
Wojo: De-motivating recruits for 5 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »
Excellent news! Let's keep this Canadian pipeline open. Lots of good talent in the frozen north.

This is doubly great because we can wrap up transfer recruitment season pretty early. All energy should now be poured into our 2 man class of 2019. Get those two nailed down by the early signing period and we can get a jump start on a loaded 2020 class.

Dominoes are falling gentlemen (and mom, chick, and jutwu). One leads to the next. The fruits of the golden power point will be ready for harvest soon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
I've been thinking the same.  Not everyone can be Duke or UK, who fills their roster with 5 star, one-and-dones.  Given the growing number of transfers each year, filling gaps in the roster with Grad and Trad Transfers seems like an innovative, low-risk approach to recruiting. 

Guys like Morrow, Chartouny and McEwen are known commodities, mature, and expected to contribute from day one. 

With freshmen you never know how long it will take to develop, if they will develop, if they will bolt after investing multiple years of coaching and prior to reaping the rewards, etc.

I like this approach, and feel it is a strategy that might just be here to stay!

Welcome aboard Joseph and Koby!!!

Agree.  Solid recruiting at HS level will be lifeblood to keep program winning year in and year out. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
Are we full for 2019 now?

I'm a big fan of building through 4 year players, so I don't know how to feel about this + chartouny

We're full for '18-'19.  We have TWO open scholarships for rising HS Seniors replacing Matty and Chartouny.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
Outstanding!

Welcome to Marquette, Koby!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Guesses on projected starting lineup for 2018 vs. 2019?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 10:03:23 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
Good look...

https://twitter.com/TheTrueOne1_/status/988239104037945344

Guard with a lot of size and muscle....looks like Wojo and the staff are learning
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »
For those not on twitter (sorry about the size):

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
Damn!

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
Guard with a lot of size and muscle....looks like Wojo and the staff are learning

Haven’t seen the kid play, but like the look..we need a few more guys who are physically built for Big East Ball.

A good spring for Wojo and the program. Well done.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »
Think guys we've sent to NBA made an impression in his recruitment?  All 5 pictured are currently in the league.  Highly doubt that's an accident or coincidence on his part.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
Think guys we've sent to NBA made an impression in his recruitment?  All 5 pictured are currently in the league.  Highly doubt that's an accident or coincidence on his part.

I’m guessing it’s a Wojo PowerPoint presentation special.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Phenomenal weekend for MU!!!! :)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
He did forget Buycks though.   :D

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
I’m guessing it’s a Wojo PowerPoint presentation special.

Sure, definitely should be. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »

I'm a big fan of building through 4 year players, so I don't know how to feel about this + chartouny

I don't understand how you could feel anything other than really good about these commitments. PG was the only real hole on the roster the next two years, at least as it stands today, and we just filled it with two quality, proven players.

We should still have a nice potential nucleus of 4 year players as well.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
Seems like a nice fit.  Transfers in are good. 

Utah State cycling through the coaches after the retirement of The Legend, eh?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:58 PM »

About 40 percent of D-I players transfer at least once these days. So if you're going to build exclusively with high school kids, expect to be dealing with a consistently young and inexperienced roster. Because two out if every five high school kids you bring in won't be four-year players.
That's OK if you're Duke and Kentucky landing 3-5 top 40 kids every, but it doesn't seem a recipe for success at Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »
I'm very psyched for next season and already trying to figure out if I can make it to Brooklyn and a few other games.

But I think I'm already even more psyched for 2019-2020. Looking so far ahead isn't usually like me, but that could be a Final Four team if every player plays close to his potential.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »
I don't think this affects DJ Carton at all.  McEwen has been Utah State's PG but he seems to be more Markus Howard than Joseph Chartouny (scorer over distributor).  I'd imagine Wojo tells him his role year 1 would be to split PG minutes with McEwen, then to take over PG duties starting year 2 with McEwen as his off-guard.  If we'd gotten Marcus Carr THEN I would worry we'd lose out on Carton, seeing as we'd already have a true PG with 3 years left.

Contrary to belief that we're out on 2019 PGs, the fact that we were able to wrap up transfer recruiting by April 22nd would lead me to believe Wojo and staff are about to give Carton/Wilson/etc. the Joey Hauser full-court press in recruiting like we saw last summer.  Only 2 spots to fill so he can hone in on his 3/4 top guys and full-staff as many games as possible: where Wojo is really dangerous on the recruiting trail.

As for McEwen, could not be more excited with this news.  This guy can flat out play and I can't wait to see him with the rest of our guys.  Awesome awesome weekend for MUBB.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:00:32 PM by onepostkoby »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:03 PM »

This of this as continuing to build through 4-year players. I know...these aren't 4-year guys for us, but here's my rationale:

First, both of these guys will be 5 year collegiate players when they are done. At this point in the recruiting cycle, we were not going to add an impact PG to the 2018-19 roster from the collegiate ranks. Those players simply aren't there. Chartouny gives us the bridge to 2019 and will have no negative impact recruiting guys like Carton, Watts, McKinney, or Mannion.

Second, we then look at the McEwen addition. With him added to Markus and Elliott, that gives us 3 guards in 2019-20. Wojo seems to favor a 4-guard rotation when personnel allows. Howard, Rowsey, Duane, and Cheatham in 2016-17, then Howard, Rowsey, Elliott, and Anim last year. When a 2019 freshman comes in, they will likely be immediately penciled into the rotation with Markus, Elliott, and McEwen.

Third, Wojo has shown a tendency to play his freshmen. Henry and Sam led their teams in minutes as freshmen. Duane, Markus, and Elliott all received significant minutes as freshmen. Whomever is that fourth guard is going to play early.

Fourth, after their freshman year, Howard will be gone, opening up more minutes and the chance for someone new to be "the man". The next year, Elliott and McEwen leave, which means the guy that had that sophomore year opportunity now will likely run the show for two years.

If you like four-year players, Chartouny and McEwen are actually paving the way for four-year players to come on board. Here's hoping it works.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
I like the lower risk approach of recruiting a guy who has two years of college under his belt rather than a high school kid who may not transition well.  Also like the built in redshirt year for the transfer to develop as a player. 

Also like guards taller than 6'3".

Well done Wojo and staff!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »
Fantastic news.

Those that slam the program after losses sure are quiet these days.  Great job Coach Wojo.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback