Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Off-season wish list  (Read 9182 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Off-season wish list
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »
Coaches: Stan & Nelson stay for at least one more year (more successful season will raise their profile), and we add Dave Thorson to replace Carrawell.

Personnel: add Chartouny and a high level regular transfer PG or combo guard. Get a commit from DJ Carton or Jalen Wilson (or both) to kick off the '19 class.

Health: Sam, Joey, & Greg recover on the earlier ends of their respective timetables.

Players: Cain & Elliott each add 10+ lbs of muscle and both tighten up handles while improving the 3 ball. Morrow gets himself to an 80%+ FT shooter. Markus tightens his handle and improves his finishing at the rim similar to how he added the floater last year. Theo develops a post counter-move that doesn't result in a travel. Sacar goes to the Vander Between Soph & Junior Year school of finishing in traffic and keep improving the three ball. Sam & Joey be more refined versions of themselves. Bailey put on weight. Heldt work on finishing at the rim and hedging on screens.

Anything else?

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Off-season wish list
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Through some arcane magic ncaa laws otule has a 7th year of eligibility

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
Coaches: Stan & Nelson stay for at least one more year (more successful season will raise their profile), and we add Dave Thorson to replace Carrawell.

Personnel: add Chartouny and a high level regular transfer PG or combo guard. Get a commit from DJ Carton or Jalen Wilson (or both) to kick off the '19 class.

Health: Sam, Joey, & Greg recover on the earlier ends of their respective timetables.

Players: Cain & Elliott each add 10+ lbs of muscle and both tighten up handles while improving the 3 ball. Morrow gets himself to an 80%+ FT shooter. Markus tightens his handle and improves his finishing at the rim similar to how he added the floater last year. Theo develops a post counter-move that doesn't result in a travel. Sacar goes to the Vander Between Soph & Junior Year school of finishing in traffic and keep improving the three ball. Sam & Joey be more refined versions of themselves. Bailey put on weight. Heldt work on finishing at the rim and hedging on screens.

Anything else?
A healthy recovery from surgery for Ike.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
We have 7 games left on the schedule to be figured out. First, here's what we know:

• At Big Ten (Gavitt)
  • Two mid-major home Preseason NIT games
  • Two of Louisville/Kansas/Tennessee
  • Wisconsin
  • Buffalo
Like the last two years, we should be assembling a schedule with the postseason in mind. Here's what I want with those remaining games:

• High-Major Road Game, first of home-and-home. Arizona would be my second choice. Homecoming for Markus & a great home game for 2019.
  • High level Mid-Major Home Game, first of home-and-home. Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Wichita State, or someone that draws eyeballs but will start here.
  • Another quality home buy. Weber State, Stephen F Austin, or Winthrop type team that is always a tourney contender.
  • Three more buy games in the 150-250 range. No truly terrible games.
If they can't find another home-and-home to start at home, a neutral site game would be fine, but I think maximizing home games (18 true home dates) is ideal for the first year at the Silk.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
Through some arcane magic ncaa laws otule has a 7th year of eligibility

I'd rather get Buycks back for one more year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
A semblance of defense.

As a Marquette fan I don't know what defense is but if it is something opposite of offense I'm all for it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »
We all continue to be patient with Wojo, because if we are, it is a given that he will be come the next Jay Wright!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
Going through his Twitter, I'd love to see the last assistant spot go to Brad Autry. Focuses on defense and has been successful at every stop.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
We have 7 games left on the schedule to be figured out. First, here's what we know:

• At Big Ten (Gavitt)
  • Two mid-major home Preseason NIT games
  • Two of Louisville/Kansas/Tennessee
  • Wisconsin
  • Buffalo
Like the last two years, we should be assembling a schedule with the postseason in mind. Here's what I want with those remaining games:

• High-Major Road Game, first of home-and-home. Arizona would be my second choice. Homecoming for Markus & a great home game for 2019.
  • High level Mid-Major Home Game, first of home-and-home. Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Wichita State, or someone that draws eyeballs but will start here.
  • Another quality home buy. Weber State, Stephen F Austin, or Winthrop type team that is always a tourney contender.
  • Three more buy games in the 150-250 range. No truly terrible games.
If they can't find another home-and-home to start at home, a neutral site game would be fine, but I think maximizing home games (18 true home dates) is ideal for the first year at the Silk.
All of this is very well thought out. I would point out that Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Wichita State are not Mid Majors. People in glass houses should not throw stones.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
All of this is very well thought out. I would point out that Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Wichita State are not Mid Majors. People in glass houses should not throw stones.

They are good teams that play in mid-major conferences. No stones, just facts.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
We all continue to be patient with Wojo, because if we are, it is a given that he will be come the next Jay Wright!

Glad you think so! You are the only one who thinks that. But I'm glad you do!
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »
Rapid healing. Time in the weight room.  A grad transfer point guard with size.   Commitment to defense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
They are good teams that play in mid-major conferences. No stones, just facts.
If they are mid major programs than so are we.

Greg Marshall Salary 3,300,000. Mick Cronin Salary 2,200,000  Mark Few Salary 1,900,000.

Record of achievement  for these schools far exceeds ours.

Cincinnati has a more extensive investment in athletics than every team in the Big East. Wichita State is backed by Billionaires who will pay whatever it takes to keep that program at a high level. Gonzaga twenty year straight in the NCAA with very good performance.

---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Everyone on the team watching Villanova game film to learn how to move on offense.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:45:54 PM »

Mid Major is a league distinction, not a team distinction. The WCC and AAC are mid-majors, thus every team in those leagues are mid-major.

They are high level teams, but their league affiliation would give us the advantage that would allow us to dictate getting the home game first.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
If they are mid major programs than so are we.

No we're not. Mid and high major is determined by what conference you play in. Gonzaga, Wichita State, and Cincinnati play in mid-major conferences. They are also better programs than we are right now. But we are also a high major program. All three things are true.

Honestly, it's a compliment to them given that they've had this level of success despite playing in mid-major conferences.
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
No we're not. Mid and high major is determined by what conference you play in. Gonzaga, Wichita State, and Cincinnati play in mid-major conferences. They are also better programs than we are right now. But we are also a high major program. All three things are true.

Honestly, it's a compliment to them given that they've had this level of success despite playing in mid-major conferences.

Your opinion. I disagree. Calling DePaul, Rutgers and BC "high majors" and Gonzaga and Cincinnati "mid majors" doesn't pass the logic or smell test IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »
Your opinion. I disagree. Calling DePaul, Rutgers and BC "high majors" and Gonzaga and Cincinnati "mid majors" doesn't pass the logic or smell test IMO.

Gotta say I agree with Lenny on this.

I know it's just semantics, but pretty much every basketball fan I know would consider "mid-major" to be an insult for the likes of Gonzaga, UConn, Cinci and Wichita State.

Because the Big East is not a P5 football conference, there are plenty of folks who think our league is now a mid-major. Obviously, nobody here agrees with that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »

Gotta say I agree with Lenny on this.

I know it's just semantics, but pretty much every basketball fan I know would consider "mid-major" to be an insult for the likes of Gonzaga, UConn, Cinci and Wichita State.

Mid and high major has nothing to do with the team. Just the conference. Rutgers and DePaul play in a high major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga play in a mid-major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga have programs that are lightyears better than Rutgers and DePaul. All three things are true.

Because the Big East is not a P5 football conference, there are plenty of folks who think our league is now a mid-major. Obviously, nobody here agrees with that.

That's fine. Those people are wrong. The Big East is a high major conference as it is consistently in the top 6 conferences...in fact I don't think it's been lower than 4th since its creation. The AAC and WCC are mid-major conferences. The AAC has not been higher than 7th ever....and I don't think the WCC has either but would have to check.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 12:26:51 AM »
Mid and high major has nothing to do with the team. Just the conference. Rutgers and DePaul play in a high major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga play in a mid-major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga have programs that are lightyears better than Rutgers and DePaul. All three things are true.

That's fine. Those people are wrong. The Big East is a high major conference as it is consistently in the top 6 conferences...in fact I don't think it's been lower than 4th since its creation. The AAC and WCC are mid-major conferences. The AAC has not been higher than 7th ever....and I don't think the WCC has either but would have to check.

+1

If that insults them, they should join better leagues. They are quality programs but still in mid-major leagues and thus mid-major programs. I would argue Cincinnati and Gonzaga are currently top-25 programs, but still mid-major. It is strictly a league designation based on league performance and league wide revenue.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
Everyone on the team watching Villanova game film to learn how to move on offense.
And Wojo eyeballing Wright to enhance his offense genius prowess. It must be the flashy suits Wright wears. Kind of like a super hero with capes/costumes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
So UConn can be both a mid major and a blue blood?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »

Absolutely.

Maybe we also need to watch Loyola to see how to play as a team and forget about this hero ball stuff.

And everyone learning to play defense! We're also rans unless our defense improves markedly next year.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
So UConn can be both a mid major and a blue blood?

This is exactly what I thought when reading this. What an odd way to draw the line.