Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Off-season wish list  (Read 9181 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Off-season wish list
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 08:23:21 AM »
So UConn can be both a mid major and a blue blood?

Yes. I'd say Memphis under Cal was damn close to that too. You can't tell me anyone considered CUSA a high major after we left for the Big East.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »
First, we need to stop with these labels. Second, the AAC is not a mid-major league league.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:01:28 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
Because the Big East is not a P5 football conference, there are plenty of folks who think our league is now a mid-major. Obviously, nobody here agrees with that.

I know you don't think the Big East is a mid-major, but I have never heard, read or seen anywhere the Big East referred to as a mid-major. In fact there have been many articles, blogs, etc. making the case for the Big East as the best conference in college hoops. If those "plenty of folks" are random internet posters, then I can point to just as many who think the Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC are mid-major. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 09:22:58 AM »
Absolutely.

Maybe we also need to watch Loyola to see how to play as a team and forget about this hero ball stuff.

And everyone learning to play defense! We're also rans unless our defense improves markedly next year.

Yeah!

[Checks efficiency ratings, sees Loyola's offense is #63 while ours is #13]

We gotta learn offense from Loyola!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
So UConn can be both a mid major and a blue blood?

Theoretically yes. But I don't think they are a blue blood. I'm not sure anyone outside of Storrs does. I think they were close to having the resume of a blue blood a few years ago, but they are quickly losing steam.

Again, mid-major has nothing to do with the individual team. It's about the conference. It's not that hard to understand.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
First, we need to stop with these labels. Second, the AAC is not a mid-major league league.

Show your work. What makes them a high major?
TAMU

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »
Back to the subject: 

Off season wish list:
- Grad Transfer PG
- Frosh PG (preferably top 15)
- Healing
- Player Development
- Less negativity on Scoop
- A Fast Forward button to the first week of November!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »

The worst team in the Big East per Pomeroy was DePaul at #100. More than half of their teams are worse than DePaul. In the conference ratings, they are a lot closer to the 9th place Valley than the 6th place Pac-12 (and closer to the 17th placed Big Sky than the 5th placed Big 10).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
Again, mid-major has nothing to do with the individual team. It's about the conference. It's not that hard to understand.

So, your position is that Gonzaga and Cincinnati are mid-major programs, while Rutgers and Oregon State are high-majors?
Or Tarkanian's UNLV teams in the 80s and 90s were mid-major, but the Northwestern teams that averaged 9 wins a season during the 80s and 90s was a high-major program?
That's actually very hard to understand.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
So, your position is that Gonzaga and Cincinnati are mid-major programs, while Rutgers and Oregon State are high-majors?
Or Tarkanian's UNLV teams in the 80s and 90s were mid-major, but the Northwestern teams that averaged 9 wins a season during the 80s and 90s was a high-major program?

There are no high-major and mid-major teams; only high-major and mid-major conferences.

The term "high-major team" is shorthand for "team that is in a high-major conference".
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
Show your work. What makes them a high major?
Multiple bid league with Memphis, UConn and Temple struggling.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 10:06:34 AM »
There are no high-major and mid-major teams; only high-major and mid-major conferences.

The term "high-major team" is shorthand for "team that is in a high-major conference".

Says who?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Glad you think so! You are the only one who thinks that. But I'm glad you do!
No, you are wrong. several have hinted at that as their rationale about Wojo. They have me convinced. Sorry that you have not had that Kool Aid...yet.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
Mid and high major has nothing to do with the team. Just the conference. Rutgers and DePaul play in a high major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga play in a mid-major conference. Cincy and Gonzaga have programs that are lightyears better than Rutgers and DePaul. All three things are true.

IMHO this defies logic. I think conferences and programs are separate entities. The Big East and the Big Ten are considered high majors because MOST, not all of its members are high major programs. The converse is true For the WAC and the AAC. Nothing illogical with a mid major conference having one or more high major (or even elite major) program in it. Nor is it illogical for a high major conference to contain one or more mid major program. Common sense says a program is more than its conference affiliation IMO.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »

Illogical. And it's not "team", it's program.

When we were the #2 program in all of college basketball for over a decade were we a mid or low major program? UNLV under Tark too? Universals that provide simple answers are tempting - and usually wrong.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:38:29 AM by Lennys Tap »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
AAC #6
Pac 12 #7.

So, is this the one off year?
What if AAC is #5 next year and Pac 12 #7/8? 

By the reasoning of some--IF conference based, not team based, those teams in the AAC should NOT be considered mid major and the teams in the Pac 12 should be considered mid major. 

No one will consider the teams in the Pac 12 mid major, even though they have been passed up by a mid major conference.  At what point do you make this switch? When does the AAC become considered a high major?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
AAC #6
Pac 12 #7.

By the reasoning of some--IF conference based, not team based, those teams in the AAC should NOT be considered mid major and the teams in the Pac 12 should be considered mid major. 

No one will consider the teams in the Pac 12 mid major, even though they have been passed up by a mid major conference.  At what point do you make this switch? When does the AAC become considered a high major?

Consistency and revenue both matter. One year won't change a landscape. But for the AAC, it's a major indictment that their all sports (including football) is less than the Big East contract without football.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
AAC #6
Pac 12 #7.

Where did you get those numbers?

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

Pac 12 is 5th, B1G is 6th, AAC is 7th

And one year doesn't make a difference. There was a year where the MWC was #1. The A10 has been as high as #4. They are still mid-major correct?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:04 PM »
Multiple bid league with Memphis, UConn and Temple struggling.

So if it's a multiple bid league it's a high major? That would make the A10, MWC, MVC (some years), and WCC high major conferences.
TAMU

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 02:26:59 PM »
Where did you get those numbers?

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

Pac 12 is 5th, B1G is 6th, AAC is 7th

And one year doesn't make a difference. There was a year where the MWC was #1. The A10 has been as high as #4. They are still mid-major correct?
How many years does a conference need to be better than another high major to be considered no longer mid major?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
IMHO this defies logic. I think conferences and programs are separate entities. The Big East and the Big Ten are considered high majors because MOST, not all of its members are high major programs. The converse is true For the WAC and the AAC. Nothing illogical with a mid major conference having one or more high major (or even elite major) program in it. Nor is it illogical for a high major conference to contain one or more mid major program. Common sense says a program is more than its conference affiliation IMO.

You're changing the definition of the words. High, mid, and low major are descriptors for conferences, not for programs. High major program is shorthand for program that plays in a high major conference.

Yes. Northwestern, Oregon State, and Rutgers all play in high major conferences. That does not inherently make them better programs than Gonzaga, Cincinnati, or UNLV who all play in mid major conferences.

For some people it seems like mid-major is an insult to the program. It's not. It's just a way to distinguish between different levels of conferences. You can be a very good program and play in a mid-major conference.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »
How many years does a conference need to be better than another high major to be considered no longer mid major?

I don't know. I would imagine until its the rule and not the exception.

The reality is, the AAC has NEVER been rated higher than 7th. They have a lot more in common with the MWC, A10, WCC, and MVC than they do with the P6. If UConn, Memphis, and Temple turn it around like Mr. Nielsen pointed out....without upstarts like SMU and Houston going back to normal....and they start regularly beating out P6 conferences in the rankings, I will gladly call them high major. Until then, they are the WCC of the East.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
You're changing the definition of the words. High, mid, and low major are descriptors for conferences, not for programs. High major program is shorthand for program that plays in a high major conference.

Yes. Northwestern, Oregon State, and Rutgers all play in high major conferences. That does not inherently make them better programs than Gonzaga, Cincinnati, or UNLV who all play in mid major conferences.

For some people it seems like mid-major is an insult to the program. It's not. It's just a way to distinguish between different levels of conferences. You can be a very good program and play in a mid-major conference.

This all seems so arbitrary and disconnected from reality.
While you may choose to use "high-major" and "mid-major" only to describe conference, that's not how many, if not the majority, in the sports world views it.
Just Google "Gonzaga mid major" and you'll find numerous articles debating whether Gonzaga is a mid- or high-major program. Those discussions would obviously not exist if, as you say, there were no such thing as mid- or high-major programs. And yet there they are.
I think it's fair to say the terms are used both for conferences and individual programs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »
While you may choose to use "high-major" and "mid-major" only to describe conference, that's not how many, if not the majority, in the sports world views it.
Just Google "Gonzaga mid major" and you'll find numerous articles debating whether Gonzaga is a mid- or high-major program. Those discussions would obviously not exist if, as you say, there were no such thing as mid- or high-major programs. And yet there they are.
I think it's fair to say the terms are used both for conferences and individual programs.

If Gonzaga were to experience a good buy not great year (like St Mary's) they would not make the tournament. This is the sign of a mid major. Your conference can't help you out so in order to stay on top you cannot afford an average year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »

I think a lot of people misuse a lot of words. But you make a good point. I, Brew, and Chick have all explained what we mean by mid-major. We use it only in reference to the conference. It has nothing to do with the quality of the individual programs that make up the conferences. We can have different definitions and leave it at that.
TAMU

feedback