[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mexico?  (Read 30708 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Mexico?
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:30 PM »
Travel insurance anytime you leave the USA?  We haven't routinely done that.  (Have once or twice.)

I know people who swear by it. Neighbor broke ankle in Mexico. Had to pay cash but got reimbursed for all. Insurance paid for extra days at hotel and new plane ticket, first class.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
I think 82 should whack a few drug lords in Cancun and take over the H trade in the city.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
I've done a fair amount of traveling over the years and have never once bought travel insurance.

Anyhoo ...

My wife and I had a good discussion tonight about the trip. We have decided to go to Cancun as planned and will just enjoy all the amenities the resort has. We will eat most of our meals there, hang out there. There are multiple restaurants, including a sports bar, there is a swim-up bar in the pool, the beach is beautiful, the pool is excellent, we will use the fitness room daily, there are multiple activities at the resort every day, etc.

There is a little mall across the street with shops and restaurants; once we get the pulse of everything happening, maybe we'll venture over there during the daytime. Maybe we won't if we don't like the vibe we are getting.

We will look at the resort as kind of a mini-cruise ship, and our 4 days there as being "at sea," when you can't do shore excursions because you're not on shore. Given the family craziness that we will go to in Cabo, it will be very relaxing. Unlike some people, who have to be go-go-go all the time and always have to be doing something, I'm very good at chilling.

We also will go to Cabo and will enjoy ourselves with the rest of the family, and obviously will have fun at our daughter's wedding.

This has been a good discussion and it's been important think about these things. But hey, you can't control everything in life.

There were two shootings in downtown Charlotte last month, including one just outside a restaurant we like. We went to our son's wedding in Chicago in March and there were multiple incidents in town, including one on the north side. When we went to Brooklyn to watch MU win that event in Hank's year, we walked all over the place in Brooklyn.

We don't wear body armor when we go to New York or Washington. I have walked around Paris and London and many other cities where terrorist attacks are become more common.

I try to be smart and safe, but we all have to live our lives.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
Smart decision I think.  Go and enjoy yourselves.  Just be smart and aware and you'll be fine.

My wife and I have gotten into some potentially tricky situations-- getting lost wandering the streets on foot in the wrong part of Cairo not long after the German tour bus had been attacked comes to mind--but as long as you don't act like a clueless target you'll almost certainly be safe.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »
I know people who swear by it. Neighbor broke ankle in Mexico. Had to pay cash but got reimbursed for all. Insurance paid for extra days at hotel and new plane ticket, first class.

People are routinely surprised to find out that their health insurance doesn’t cover them when they travel internationally.   Sure, if you’re going to Iran or Myanmar, I don’t think anyone expects them to take Blue Cross there, but even many high-end PPO plans exclude coverage in the UK, Germany, Japan, France and Ireland, if not at least increase the co-pay and/or lift the OOP maximum for int’l coverage.  I was actually discussing the topic of insurance with an ER nurse about a year ago, and she said that if no one in your company travels internationally on business, more often or not, your health coverage is going to have some serious gaps internationally, if it even exists at all (an unintended side effect of insurers and employers cutting costs post-ACA).

For that reason alone, travel insurance is nearly a must if leaving the U.S., and I haven’t yet opined on the value of evacuation if you’re caught in a third-world country or someplace where you can’t trust the medical staff (e.g. Mexico).... the cancellation/interruption benefits are merely gravy. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:57 AM »
My wife and I had a good discussion tonight about the trip. We have decided to go to Cancun as planned and will just enjoy all the amenities the resort has.

Sounds like a good idea.  Important tip:  when you buy heroin, make sure you're working with a reputable dealer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.  Important tip:  when you buy heroin, make sure you're working with a reputable dealer.

My rule of thumb for Mexico vacation is always by my heroin, meth and/or cocaine from the hotel lobby bartender. Never, ever the pool bartender.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
Here comes another song about Mexico
I just can't help myself
I lost my old lady
Got my lures
Got my bobbers
Now I'm gonna go

Got off in the wrong direction
Found a hooker and lost my erection
So I had to lie
In the letter to the boys back home

Now the good guys and the bad guys
Never work past noon around here
They sit side to side in cantinas
Talk to senoritas
And drink warm beer

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
My wife and I had a good discussion tonight.....

Any time you start a sentence with those nine words, certain doom is impending.

Anyhoo, Just don't wear one of these in order to maximize your chances of remaining in one piece.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
Any time you start a sentence with those nine words, certain doom is impending.

Yeah, I started something like: "I wasn't going to even mention this, but I think we have something to talk about ... "

Her response: "Uh-oh."

But it turned out well. I told her what I knew for certain as well as some of the speculative stuff, and I then let her give her opinion before I gave mine.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »
Yeah, I started something like: "I wasn't going to even mention this, but I think we have something to talk about ... "

Her response: "Uh-oh."

I would give $10 to know exactly what your wife was thinking - at that very moment - what was going to be coming out of your mouth next.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
I would give $10 to know exactly what your wife was thinking - at that very moment - what was going to be coming out of your mouth next.

I'm sure she was thinking, "pee-pee and hookers."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
People are routinely surprised to find out that their health insurance doesn’t cover them when they travel internationally.   Sure, if you’re going to Iran or Myanmar, I don’t think anyone expects them to take Blue Cross there, but even many high-end PPO plans exclude coverage in the UK, Germany, Japan, France and Ireland, if not at least increase the co-pay and/or lift the OOP maximum for int’l coverage.  I was actually discussing the topic of insurance with an ER nurse about a year ago, and she said that if no one in your company travels internationally on business, more often or not, your health coverage is going to have some serious gaps internationally, if it even exists at all (an unintended side effect of insurers and employers cutting costs post-ACA).

For that reason alone, travel insurance is nearly a must if leaving the U.S., and I haven’t yet opined on the value of evacuation if you’re caught in a third-world country or someplace where you can’t trust the medical staff (e.g. Mexico).... the cancellation/interruption benefits are merely gravy.

Yep, I always get World Nomads' insurance when I travel. Mostly because they cover mountaineering and motorbiking, which many travel insurers don't cover. The one time I had a claim, they reimbursed without any problem. Plus, death benefits for your kin, 82, after you get swiss-cheesed by a hail of gunfire.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Ever since my B-i-L broke his back on a climbing vacation I have always bought travel insurance for foreign vacations, cheap insurance just in case.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
All right ... now y'all might be talking me into travel insurance.

Preliminary checking shows it would be about $100 for both of us for the 12 days we'll be gone. Seems almost too cheap, but just read all the coverages and went to Consumer Reports and seems legit.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
Ya kan probably get it four half dat from a dude on Craiglist, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:48 PM »
All right ... now y'all might be talking me into travel insurance.

Preliminary checking shows it would be about $100 for both of us for the 12 days we'll be gone. Seems almost too cheap, but just read all the coverages and went to Consumer Reports and seems legit.

Talk to a travel agent.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
I've done a fair amount of traveling over the years and have never once bought travel insurance.

Anyhoo ...

My wife and I had a good discussion tonight about the trip. We have decided to go to Cancun as planned and will just enjoy all the amenities the resort has. We will eat most of our meals there, hang out there. There are multiple restaurants, including a sports bar, there is a swim-up bar in the pool, the beach is beautiful, the pool is excellent, we will use the fitness room daily, there are multiple activities at the resort every day, etc.

There is a little mall across the street with shops and restaurants; once we get the pulse of everything happening, maybe we'll venture over there during the daytime. Maybe we won't if we don't like the vibe we are getting.

We will look at the resort as kind of a mini-cruise ship, and our 4 days there as being "at sea," when you can't do shore excursions because you're not on shore. Given the family craziness that we will go to in Cabo, it will be very relaxing. Unlike some people, who have to be go-go-go all the time and always have to be doing something, I'm very good at chilling.

We also will go to Cabo and will enjoy ourselves with the rest of the family, and obviously will have fun at our daughter's wedding.

This has been a good discussion and it's been important think about these things. But hey, you can't control everything in life.

There were two shootings in downtown Charlotte last month, including one just outside a restaurant we like. We went to our son's wedding in Chicago in March and there were multiple incidents in town, including one on the north side. When we went to Brooklyn to watch MU win that event in Hank's year, we walked all over the place in Brooklyn.

We don't wear body armor when we go to New York or Washington. I have walked around Paris and London and many other cities where terrorist attacks are become more common.

I try to be smart and safe, but we all have to live our lives.

I didn't need body armor when we walked from that beer hall to Barclay's a few years back.  Your physical stature was enough to ward off any potential predators!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
I didn't need body armor when we walked from that beer hall to Barclay's a few years back.  Your physical stature was enough to ward off any potential predators!

True, I am quite a physical specimen.

I umpired today and got hit in the thigh by a fastball when the catcher completely whiffed on it. I took a second to gather myself and one of the coaches asked, "You OK, Blue?"

I said, "Of course. I have the strength of 10 men."

That line always gets a laugh. (I stole it from Letterman, who must have said it 35 years ago.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
I think most of y'all will be happy to know that Mrs. 82 and I somehow survived our 4 days on the mean streets of Cancun.

Actually, we only spent a total of about 20-30 minutes on the streets of Cancun. On both Tuesday and Wednesday early evenings, we walked to and from a restaurant we liked that was about 4 blocks from our resort. We were back at the resort by 7 p.m. both evenings, and it was still light out. The restaurant, which was excellent, was located across the street from a police station. We also walked through the mall that was across the street from our resort.

Otherwise, we enjoyed our resort, the Westin Lagunamar, and the great weather we had.

Read the 2-4 Cancun-related pages that were part of the USA Today we received each day. Not one report of any violence.

I know the violence there is a real thing, and I'm glad to say we didn't witness any of it.

We are now in Cabo, where our daughter will be getting married on Sunday. Our resort there is also nice, the weather is even better, family and friends are everywhere, and much eating, drinking and merriment has ensued.

Here's to life! Adios, amigos!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
Don't drink da water, Nads. Ya woodant wanna get a case of the chits and brown out yo tux pants, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
I think most of y'all will be happy to know that Mrs. 82 and I somehow survived our 4 days on the mean streets of Cancun.

Actually, we only spent a total of about 20-30 minutes on the streets of Cancun. On both Tuesday and Wednesday early evenings, we walked to and from a restaurant we liked that was about 4 blocks from our resort. We were back at the resort by 7 p.m. both evenings, and it was still light out. The restaurant, which was excellent, was located across the street from a police station. We also walked through the mall that was across the street from our resort.

Otherwise, we enjoyed our resort, the Westin Lagunamar, and the great weather we had.

Read the 2-4 Cancun-related pages that were part of the USA Today we received each day. Not one report of any violence.

I know the violence there is a real thing, and I'm glad to say we didn't witness any of it.

We are now in Cabo, where our daughter will be getting married on Sunday. Our resort there is also nice, the weather is even better, family and friends are everywhere, and much eating, drinking and merriment has ensued.

Here's to life! Adios, amigos!!

cabo is a beautiful place as you are finding out.  congratulations dad!  have a great time and heed the warrior so you may last well in to the night to fully enjoy the occasion. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Don't drink da water, Nads. Ya woodant wanna get a case of the chits and brown out yo tux pants, aina?

Only bottled water for us.

No tux, though. Wedding's on the beach. My daughter bought me a Tommy Bahama floral shirt for the occasion - an early Father's Day gift.

As for safety, the only thing getting killed here are brain cells. Too damn many tequila shots already!!!! I ain't used to partyin' with the young'uns!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »
Back in the U.S.A.!!

Had a great time in both Cancun and Cabo ... though I had a few too many tequila shots in the latter. Damn all-inclusives!

Now that I survived on the other side of the wall, I'll probably get killed by a toddler with a gun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/29/american-toddlers-are-still-shooting-people-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/?utm_term=.b019c35e6764

feedback