[Today at 05:23:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian in AZ  (Read 12213 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian in AZ
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
I am fine with a destination wedding as long as the bride and groom and their families aren't honked off when people decline (which I have seen).

It may be cheaper whoever is paying for the wedding,  but certainly not cheaper for the bridal party or any of the guests.  Most of the folks who attended my wedding had no expenses other than a modest gift and the cost of gas to drive to Gesu and then to the Milwaukee Athletic Club.  Oh, and the MAC charged $3 for parking, and believe me, we got complaints from some of the native Milwaukeans about that.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
I am fine with a destination wedding as long as the bride and groom and their families aren't honked off when people decline (which I have seen).

It may be cheaper whoever is paying for the wedding,  but certainly not cheaper for the bridal party or any of the guests.  Most of the folks who attended my wedding had no expenses other than a modest gift and the cost of gas to drive to Gesu and then to the Milwaukee Athletic Club.  Oh, and the MAC charged $3 for parking, and believe me, we got complaints from some of the native Milwaukeans about that.

Don't look like the MAC to me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
Ugh, how did I manage to post this in the wrong thread?

That's what I get for trying to multitask.

By the way, lame gift, Lord FriendZone.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
I grew up and lived almost 30 years total in WI and have now been in MN for 20 years.

In all my years of living in WI, I can't recall that ever happening. But since I have been in MN, I see cars with MN plates doing that all the time.

Not saying you're wrong. I just find it interesting that I've only seen it since leaving WI.

In Minnesota, I found it was more often the Iowa license plates.

I'm out wandering around.
Idiot on wheels ahead.
I owe (the) world (an) apology.
I offend without accelerating.
Invested over woeful advice

The list goes on.  Minnesota teens are the worst.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
Your premise is naive.  There is no reason an autonomous car company wouldn't function in rural America.  Additionally, it IS your age.  If you can't wait 5-10 minutes or plan 5-10 minutes ahead of time (using your phone of course) when you will need a ride, then maybe its time to book a room in the old folks home.

For autonomous car mass adoption the car makers are saying 5G technology will be required to lower the cost of the vehicles rather that putting all the computing guts into the cars themselves.  5G is coming to rural areas a long long time from now because of the nature of the bandwidth.   

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-5g-will-drive-the-adoption-of-self-driving-cars-2017-12

My premise is around the efficiency of autonomous cars in rural areas.  In a densely populated area where the car can get the next rider quickly that opportunity doesn't exist in towns of 100, or 1000.  It becomes a volume game.

I like to drive.  I am not against autonomous cars, but they are not for everyone and won't be a solution everywhere.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »
In Texas,  they are never taught that you can pull into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn. They stay behind the crosswalk and as a result often get stuck for several cycles on busy streets. Drives me up a wall. But the nice bonus is that Texan passengers in my car often scream and fresh out when I pull into the intersection
if I'm not mistaken, the actual law in Texas is that you can't pull out into the intersection, isn't it?

Another thing you won't see in Texas is a courtesy wave.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
if I'm not mistaken, the actual law in Texas is that you can't pull out into the intersection, isn't it?

Another thing you won't see in Texas is a courtesy wave.

I believe you are mistaken. I've never heard that... And I've seen several cops do it (though that doesnt necessarily mean anything) ...and I've done it in front of several cops
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
I believe you are mistaken. I've never heard that... And I've seen several cops do it (though that doesnt necessarily mean anything) ...and I've done it in front of several cops
Hmmm, ok, I thought that was what they were teaching in driving classes.  Then why the F do people just sit behind the white line?  Maddening
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »
Hmmm, ok, I thought that was what they were teaching in driving classes.  Then why the F do people just sit behind the white line?  Maddening

Arizona natives do that too. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
For autonomous car mass adoption the car makers are saying 5G technology will be required to lower the cost of the vehicles rather that putting all the computing guts into the cars themselves.  5G is coming to rural areas a long long time from now because of the nature of the bandwidth.   

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-5g-will-drive-the-adoption-of-self-driving-cars-2017-12

My premise is around the efficiency of autonomous cars in rural areas.  In a densely populated area where the car can get the next rider quickly that opportunity doesn't exist in towns of 100, or 1000.  It becomes a volume game.

I like to drive.  I am not against autonomous cars, but they are not for everyone and won't be a solution everywhere.

Ah, so you took one person's view and expanded it to fit your narrative.  Got it.  His premise is that 5G connectivity will be required for autonomous cars.  A dubious claim.

From the article you posted:

This wouldn't preclude them from leaving a few dead zones — the cars could fall back on GPS for navigation purposes in those instances, or download sections of maps ahead of time, as well as media for passengers to enjoy while out of range. Meanwhile, the most mission critical data processing and analysis functions of self-driving cars, including analyzing the data from their sensors about obstacles in their surroundings, will take place on the car's own computing systems, and therefore won't rely on network connections anyway. As such, it's highly unlikely that dead zones in 5G coverage will significantly hamper self-driving car adoption.

Semis will likely be the first fully autonomous vehicles in regular use.  They won't be using 5G to navigate long stretches of rural highway.  That sort of communication power is probably only required for the 'difficult' math problems that are urban areas.  The 'simple' math problems of rural driving won't require that level of communication.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
Not one person's claim, there are a number of think tanks and firms stating this as a way for wide adoption because of the costs of putting all the computing power into the vehicles.  Cloud based and delivered via 5G makes that less expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bijankhosravi/2018/03/25/autonomous-cars-wont-work-until-we-have-5g/#49ffd091437e

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/20/why-intel-believes-5g-wireless-will-make-autonomous-cars-smarter/

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20180301/5g/sk-telecom-5g-autonomous-cars-tag17

https://www.cio.com/article/3173848/consumer-electronics/5g-will-help-autonomous-cars-cruise-streets-safely.html

You don't want to own your car, that is fine.  I do, as driving is an enjoyment for me and knowing that I have access to it when I want with no one else's paws or rights to it is a great security for me. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback