Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU’s schedule  (Read 11173 times)

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
Re: MU’s schedule
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
thanks TAMU-----just trying to get a feel for our schedule next year.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
Not important enough to give up revenue, get over it.

Give up what revenue ... how much?  22k in the United Center against ND will get a higher price ticket than the new stadium?  Even 40% (and maybe its 50/50, who knows) might be about as much as home game.  ND would get far more playing us at the UC than a buy game at home in front of 9k.

Hold it in December and use it as a opportunity to invite accepted HS seniors, alumni events and the like and for the University as a whole, it is a big winner.

So, given all of this .. explain why this is a bad idea and playing Alabama State in Milwaukee on December 27 is a better idea.

(I'm new here and I get this is an anonymous message board and the convention is insulting/snarky responses like your comment, but I'm respectfully asking for an intelligent counter argument, or set of rule constraints that would make this a bad idea.)
From the white board in front of the team, 2 hours before the game, Rick started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, wiped, HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
Give up what revenue ... how much?  22k in the United Center against ND will get a higher price ticket than the new stadium?  Even 40% (and maybe its 50/50, who knows) might be about as much as home game.  ND would get far more playing us at the UC than a buy game at home in front of 9k.

Hold it in December and use it as a opportunity to invite accepted HS seniors, alumni events and the like and for the University as a whole, it is a big winner.

So, given all of this .. explain why this is a bad idea and playing Alabama State in Milwaukee on December 27 is a better idea.

(I'm new here and I get this is an anonymous message board and the convention is insulting/snarky responses like your comment, but I'm respectfully asking for an intelligent counter argument, or set of rule constraints that would make this a bad idea.)

It would be fun and serve a purpose, no doubt.  I do know that MU has wanted to schedule ND but that ND (read that Brey) wants no part of it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »

Marquette will make more money playing in the BC against Alabama State. 

Not that your idea doesn't have merit.  As you point out, it has all sorts of other benefits to the University community at large.

You also have to have willing partners however.  And my guess is that renting the UC is a much larger financial commitment than is renting the new Milwaukee arena.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
It would be fun and serve a purpose, no doubt.  I do know that MU has wanted to schedule ND but that ND (read that Brey) wants no part of it.

So then do it with Illinois

From the white board in front of the team, 2 hours before the game, Rick started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, wiped, HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
thanks TAMU-----just trying to get a feel for our schedule next year.

Here's what we can currently expect or know:

• Nov 9: Home Opener
  • Early November: Two campus NIT Tip-Off games (Teams this year were Monmouth, Fairleigh-Dickinson, UNC-Asheville, & Austin Peay)
  • Nov 12-16: Gavitt road game
  • Nov 21 & 23: Two of Kansas/Louisville/Tennessee at MSG
  • Dec 8: UW-Madison (Likely date)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »

Marquette will make more money playing in the BC against Alabama State. 

Not that your idea doesn't have merit.  As you point out, it has all sorts of other benefits to the University community at large.

You also have to have willing partners however.  And my guess is that renting the UC is a much larger financial commitment than is renting the new Milwaukee arena.

You might be correct ...

But I read here the BC rent is $25k/game and the new Stadium is $54k/game (I'm assuming this is correct).  Then you have to Pay Alabama State (no idea what that is but I'll guess it is $50k).  So even if the UC is $100k to rent and we are repsonsible for $60k of that cost.  If we get higher ticket prices on 40% of 20k (ND or Illinois would get 20k in attendance) the 8k tickets revenue after costs is 80% to 90% of Alabama State in Milw. in the new stadium.

Now figure in the side benefits and it is a deal for the MU all around.

What seems to be assumed here is the basketball revenue maximized without consideration to benefits for the larger unviersity,  So, no matter what the larger benfits might be, the basketball team automatically picks the higher revenue option.  Is this the case?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:31:01 AM by Rick Majerus’ Manager »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »
You might be correct ...

But I read here the BC rent is $25k/game and the new Stadium is $54k/game (I'm assuming this is correct).  Then you have to Pay Alabama State (no idea what that is but I'll guess it is $50k).  So even if the UC is $100k to rent and we are repsonsible for $60k of that cost.  If we get higher ticket prices on 40% of 20k (ND or Illinois would get 20k in attendance) the 8k tickets revenue after costs is 80% to 90% of Alabama State in Milw. in the new stadium.

What seems to be assumed here is the basketball revenue maximized without consideration to benefits for the larger unviersity,  So, no matter what the larger benfits might be, the basketball team automatically picks the higher revenue option.  Is this the case?
That has been rumored/assumed. Why would we be able to charge higher ticket prices? Can't assume 20K show up. ND does not want to play us. Illinois is not as desirable a game we could be facing 2 Big 10 schools Wisconsin  for sure / maybe Gavitt games until 2022. 
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
You might be correct ...

Yes.  But I also think the University has to keep in consideration the benefits to the season ticket holder.  They are the most loyal and and highest paying customers.  I don't think the University wants to sacrifice too many home games without keeping them in consideration.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
Sultan hits the nail on the head.  Shorting the season ticket package is a significant part of the issue.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »

Why are you pushing this so much?

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »

I couldn't find the article i remember reading it in, but here is the illini forum talking about how depaul veto'ed a neutral site game in chicago against MU years ago(3rd post down)  https://forums.illinihq.com/topic/13134-nonconference-scheduling/

And thats not to mention the rumor is that Brey won't even consider doing a home and home against us

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
Why are you pushing this so much?

Smart crowd here and I get good arguments.  Just trying to pull that out of people.

I also know the school is make a concerted effort to recruit Chicago more and a second game in the fall would help in that effort.

Yes.  But I also think the University has to keep in consideration the benefits to the season ticket holder.  They are the most loyal and and highest paying customers.  I don't think the University wants to sacrifice too many home games without keeping them in consideration.

Season ticket holders are going to cry that they are missing December 29 against Cententary?

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
I couldn't find the article i remember reading it in, but here is the illini forum talking about how depaul veto'ed a neutral site game in chicago against MU years ago(3rd post down)  https://forums.illinihq.com/topic/13134-nonconference-scheduling/

And thats not to mention the rumor is that Brey won't even consider doing a home and home against us

Wow this is really interesting.  Sounds like we tried to do exactly what is being argued here (MU v IL at the UC) about 10 years ago but DePaul excercised their veto.

If true, then the answer is MU wants to indeed play a neutral site game in Chicago but DePaul will not allow it.

This board is great, the breath of people here can dig up an eight year old post on the Illini site that addresses this issue.

Thank you!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »
Smart crowd here and I get good arguments.  Just trying to pull that out of people.

I also know the school is make a concerted effort to recruit Chicago more and a second game in the fall would help in that effort.

Season ticket holders are going to cry that they are missing December 29 against Cententary?

Yes.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
So then do it with Illinois

No one is particularly interested in a Marquette Illinois game.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
New poster here ... really enjoyed the AL games (went to both)

[snip...]

Again, I’m new here so I imagine this has been addressed before.  Can anyone link to that or enlighten?

You're not new here.  Hi Another...most recently known as Tugg.  Goodbye.  Again...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »
Not that's been announced.

I wonder if we will get a decent opponent (possibly the home and home) to open up the new arena.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
I wonder if we will get a decent opponent (possibly the home and home) to open up the new arena.

No...have heard it will be a normal buy game
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »
You're not new here.  Hi Another...most recently known as Tugg.  Goodbye.  Again...

I did not see that coming.

In hindsight, should have recognized based on formatting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
No one is particularly interested in a Marquette Illinois game.
Completely disagree. I think everyone who went to MU from the Chicago land area has friends and/or family that went to U of I. That game at the UC would be well attended, I’m sure of it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »

Woah he got banned?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:09 PM »
Woah he got banned?

He decided to fight the moderators - and lost.

And I don't mean just for a differing opinion - as he probably believes

Oh, and it wasn't me that banned him the first time. 

He was probably most disappointed it took folks a few weeks to realize that he was gone - and that's only because I mentioned it. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:45:39 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
He decided to fight the moderators - and lost.

"I fought the law and the law won"
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback