Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU’s schedule  (Read 11177 times)

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
MU’s schedule
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
New poster here ... really enjoyed the AL games (went to both)

Question about MU’s schedule? 

Why doesn’t MU play Northwestern and Loyola every year?  That way they have a home and a second Chicago area game (after Depual) every year. Loyola’s Gentile center is the size of the AL so I’m sure you could cut a deal with Loyola to play that game in Wintrust, Rosemont, UC and/or UIC.

MU has such a big presence in Chicago, between recruiting new students and alumni that a second Chicago game every year seems to make sense.

Again, I’m new here so I imagine this has been addressed before.  Can anyone link to that or enlighten?
From the white board in front of the team, 2 hours before the game, Rick started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, wiped, HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away.

🏀

• All American
Re: MU’s schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Why doesn't Marquette play Loyola and/or Northwestern?

Money.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
Why doesn't Marquette play Loyola and/or Northwestern?

Money.

More to “money” than the P&L of that game?  How about getting more time in your largest market to recruit top students and please donors?  How much is that worth?
From the white board in front of the team, 2 hours before the game, Rick started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, wiped, HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
Generally the Duke family doesn't play each other. K doesn't schedule his former proteges and they rarely play each other, so I don't expect Wojo and Collins to change that.

As far as Loyola, the MVC generally requires their members to get home games, similar to the Horizon. Marquette has no interest in giving up home games if they aren't getting a high major in return. They are great this year, but generally have been a sub-100 team under Moser.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
More to “money” than the P&L of that game?  How about getting more time in your largest market to recruit top students and please donors?  How much is that worth?

Very little when it comes to the basketball budget. MU cannot give up a home game to go play in Rogers Park.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
Very little when it comes to the basketball budget. MU cannot give up a home game to go play in Rogers Park.

They would not play it in Rogers park becuase, if the DePaul games are any indication, MU fans would buy 4K or more tickets alone.  So, like I said, it would have to be played in a larger stadium than the Gentile Center (Rosemont, Wintrust, UIC and/or UC are options)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
They would not play it in Rogers park becuase, if the DePaul games are any indication, MU fans would buy 4K or more tickets alone.  So, like I said, it would have to be played in a larger stadium than the Gentile Center (Rosemont, Wintrust, UIC and/or UC are options)

MU cannot give up a home game to play in Rogers Park, Rosemont, South Loop or the Near West Side. Unless Loyola is taking the six digit offer to be a buy game, it isn't happening.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
Marquette doesn't play Loyola because there are a limited number of home-and-home opportunities, and MU can't waste them on a mid-major who (this year being the exception) has typically had an RPI well above 150.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
DePaul is going to let Marquette play Loyola in their arena?  :o :o :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Generally the Duke family doesn't play each other. K doesn't schedule his former proteges and they rarely play each other, so I don't expect Wojo and Collins to change that.

As far as Loyola, the MVC generally requires their members to get home games, similar to the Horizon. Marquette has no interest in giving up home games if they aren't getting a high major in return. They are great this year, but generally have been a sub-100 team under Moser.

Marquette doesn't play Loyola because there are a limited number of home-and-home opportunities, and MU can't waste them on a mid-major who (this year being the exception) has typically had an RPI well above 150.

Agree with both of these takes.

There wouldn't be enough in it for us. And it's all about us.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »

And whether they play in front of 4,000, 40,000, or 40, it's a road game that doesn't help MU financially.  Only way MU would consider is if it was a 3-for-1, which Loyola would never go for. 

They could schedule a home-and-home with Northwestern if there was an open place on the schedule, but it's probably going too heavy to schedule another Big Ten team when we have UW, the BE/B1G challenge, and potentially a pre-season tournament match-up already on the schedule.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »
Back in the old days these kinds of games happened all the time.  We've played Loyola and Detroit Mercy many, many times.  But it doesn't fit with today's economics.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
Back in the old days these kinds of games happened all the time.  We've played Loyola and Detroit Mercy many, many times.  But it doesn't fit with today's economics.

Marquette also didn't have 18 conference games back then, so those games were needed to fill out the schedule.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
I've heard people comment before that Big East teams have veto rights over other teams playing neutral site games in their city.  So DePaul could block us from playing another team (Loyola, Notre Dame, Illinois or whoever) at the United Center.  Does anyone know if that's in fact true?  or just message-board rumor?

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
DePaul is going to let Marquette play Loyola in their arena?  :o :o :o

It is not their arena.  They do no own it.  The City of Chicago does.

DePaul is just a renter.

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:55 PM »
Let me ask this ....

How important is it the MU try and get a second game in the Chicago area? 

If they could schedule ND in the United Center every year (unless the post two above is correct), how high a priority should MU place on making this happen?

Should MU be willing to take 40% of the gate (60% to ND).  Is it that important?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
It is not their arena.  They do no own it.  The City of Chicago does.

DePaul is just a renter.

Actually it's owned by the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority

Let me ask this ....

If they could schedule ND in the United Center every year (unless the post two above is correct), how high a priority should MU place on making this happen?

Should MU be willing to take 40% of the gate (60% to ND).  Is it that important?

Not important. Though if that's what it took to reschedule ND I'm in.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
I'd love to play ND every year, either via a home-and-home series or via a deal to play at the United Center. I'll let those who focus on percentage of gate worry about that.

But according to many reports, Brey is too bwawk-bwawk-bwawk!!!! to let it happen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:46:33 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
I've heard people comment before that Big East teams have veto rights over other teams playing neutral site games in their city.  So DePaul could block us from playing another team (Loyola, Notre Dame, Illinois or whoever) at the United Center.  Does anyone know if that's in fact true?  or just message-board rumor?

Does that mean St. Johns could prevent us from playing in the NIT???

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
any home and homes for next year?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »
I still have no clue why we don’t play a game at the UC every year. MU nation would turn out in droves especially against an ND or Illinois. The only Chicago game for as long as I can remember is against lowly DePaul—oh wait, Dayton in Hoffman Estates a decade ago, too. That just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:56 PM »
Let me ask this ....

Not important enough to give up revenue, get over it.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
Do we have a home and home in line starting next season?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »

Not that's been announced.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

Usually not announced till the summer before
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback