Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Farewell Thread  (Read 21078 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Big East Farewell Thread
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
There are a lot of players that we will never see again after this season, especially guys that always made you think "he's still there?!?" I thought that was thread-worthy. Going to wait until seasons are done to talk about teams. First up, Seton Hall.

Seton Hall: Angel Delgado, Khadeen Carrington, Desi Rodriguez, Ish Sanogo

I know Whitehead left long ago, but I'm happy to see these guys go and will still miss them. Delgado has been one of the most consistent physical presences in college basketball in awhile. Carrington and Rodriguez were both reliable scorers while Sanogo gave size and this past year a knack for hitting threes against Marquette.

That said, was this a massive bunch of underachievers? After winning the Big East Tournament as sophomores, it seemed big things were coming. Instead they went 10-8 twice in league, 1-2 in BET games, and 1-3 in NCAA games.

Incredible senior class that SHU fans will miss, but also wonder why they didn't accomplish more.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: Big East Farewell Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
There are a lot of players that we will never see again after this season, especially guys that always made you think "he's still there?!?" I thought that was thread-worthy. Going to wait until seasons are done to talk about teams. First up, Seton Hall.

I know Whitehead left long ago, but I'm happy to see these guys go and will still miss them. Delgado has been one of the most consistent physical presences in college basketball in awhile. Carrington and Rodriguez were both reliable scorers while Sanogo gave size and this past year a knack for hitting threes against Marquette.

That said, was this a massive bunch of underachievers? After winning the Big East Tournament as sophomores, it seemed big things were coming. Instead they went 10-8 twice in league, 1-2 in BET games, and 1-3 in NCAA games.

Incredible senior class that SHU fans will miss, but also wonder why they didn't accomplish more.

Kevin Willard is their coach.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »
Yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

They gave Kansas a great game (in Kansas) and gave a good accounting of themselves and the BE.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:32:01 PM »
Providence: Rodney Bullock, Kyron Cartwright, Jalen Lindsay

Bullock and Cartwright were stars while Lindsay was the glue guy that never missed an open three. Feels like Bullock has been there forever, though he only played three years. Cartwright is just the next Cooley PG. Cooley always has a ridiculously productive point. I'm sure he'll have one next year (Ashton-Langford seems like) too.

For me, these guys epitomize Cooley at PC so far. Always solid, rarely spectacular. They did get the first PC win in Milwaukee, but I don't feel they'll really stand out much in memory 5-10 years from now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »
Kevin Willard is their coach.

Agreed completely. I will be interested to see SHU in 2-3 years. I could see Willard getting fired because I don't think he can maintain what this class did.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »

Yes, Delgado was and is a Beast. Won't miss him though.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »
Providence: Rodney Bullock, Kyron Cartwright, Jalen Lindsay

Bullock and Cartwright were stars while Lindsay was the glue guy that never missed an open three. Feels like Bullock has been there forever, though he only played three years. Cartwright is just the next Cooley PG. Cooley always has a ridiculously productive point. I'm sure he'll have one next year (Ashton-Langford seems like) too.

For me, these guys epitomize Cooley at PC so far. Always solid, rarely spectacular. They did get the first PC win in Milwaukee, but I don't feel they'll really stand out much in memory 5-10 years from now.

Cooley's got a top 40 PG in David Duke next year to replace Cartwright. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
Cooley's got a top 40 PG in David Duke next year to replace Cartwright. 

Well that's an unfortunate name.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »
I wish Desi could stay forever.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Agreed completely. I will be interested to see SHU in 2-3 years. I could see Willard getting fired because I don't think he can maintain what this class did.
Kind of agree with you.  Though, SHU will be more outside oriented than with the current group which was more inside oriented because of Delgado's skills.  Will be interesting to see how this story plays out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
Besides Seton Hall and Providence mentioned previously:

Butler:  Martin (thanks goodness)
            Wideman

Creighton:  Foster
                 Hegner
                 Thomas (draft)

Depaul:   McCallum
              Maric

St Johns: Lovett (gone)
              Owens (gone)
              Ahmed
              Alibegovic
              Ponds (draft)  I doubt it though

Nova:      Brunson (draft)
               Bridges (draft)

Xavier:    Bluiett
              O'Mara
              Macura
              Kanter

Lots of talent above and enjoyed watching them over the years. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Besides Seton Hall and Providence mentioned previously:

Butler:  Martin (thanks goodness)
            Wideman

Creighton:  Foster
                 Hegner
                 Thomas (draft)

Depaul:   McCallum
              Maric

St Johns: Lovett (gone)
              Owens (gone)
              Ahmed
              Alibegovic
              Ponds (draft)  I doubt it though

Nova:      Brunson (draft)
               Bridges (draft)

Xavier:    Bluiett
              O'Mara
              Macura
              Kanter

Lots of talent above and enjoyed watching them over the years.
has Brunson made it official that he is not coming back?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »
Creighton: Marcus Foster & Toby Hegner

Khyri Thomas could join them if he declares for the draft. It will be interesting to see how this impacts Creighton. Foster is a scoring beast, but I feel they have a number of other options that will pick up the slack pretty well, and Jacob Epperson seems like he will be ready to step in for Hegner next year. They may take a slight step back, but still look like a middle-of-the-league type team. If Thomas goes, they probably take a bigger step back. I do think they'll be okay with Davion Mintz and Ty-Shon Alexander in the backcourt, though.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
The most amazing thing about Delgado was that he rarely fouled.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »
Amazingly, Delgado is the high water mark for THE TERROR!!!!

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »

Certainly underachieved, but I think that is more the fault of Willard failing to recruit depth behind them.  Never had any help off the bench and always seemed gassed as games wore on.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
I won't miss a single one of these guys...glad they will be leaving..MU better capitalize on all the talent leaving the conference next year. No excuses.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
The opportunity will certainly be there for the taking.

Some great players that I will miss watching, but certainly not against MU! But new ones will emerge as they always do.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
X loses another

Gates gone
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
X loses another

Gates gone

Ok, that just makes no sense.

I sorta get it when a raw freshman leaves after posting numbers like 7.2 and 4.5, but those numbers as a junior?

Hope he likes really authentic Chinese food.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »
Ok, that just makes no sense.

I sorta get it when a raw freshman leaves after posting numbers like 7.2 and 4.5, but those numbers as a junior?

Hope he likes really authentic Chinese food.

He didn't declare for the draft so he knows he's heading overseas
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
He didn't declare for the draft so he knows he's heading overseas

Makes a little more sense, but he still might end up wishing he had a degree if he doesn't make it in one of the top tier Euro leagues. And those are often filled with ex-NBA players or guys who didn't quite have what they needed make the NBA. The latter would include guys like Dominic or Jerel, both of whom had much better numbers than Gates.

Anyhoo, only he knows what he's looking for. I wish him the best...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »
At least one source reportingOmari Spellman will make it official and hire an agent:

Quote from: @PhillyReason
Sources: Omari Spellman will forego his final three years of eligibility at Villanova and will remain in the NBA draft and hire an agent. @CrossingBroad #Villanova #philly #NBADraft2018

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »

Reminded me of many of Creans teams,  agree with others, it boils down to the coach.  Willard is average as is Crean.  Good coaches would have done much more
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »
Not normally an off-season scooper...but this thread interesting. 
Since the new BE, have been concerned the conference not have down years and lose the top conference reputation. Can the 10 teams stay consistently good. Does the BE retain an NBA presence? can teams reload?. 

I know the NBA thing is a bit unfair...the BE, by nature is not a one-n-done conference.

MU will be good and I know Nova has the coach...but when I see those names above, the BE is losing a lot of talent...hope we can hold our own as a conference next year. How many top 50 teams will we have by March of 2019?