Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anybody want to change their mind / Guards?  (Read 4859 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Anybody want to change their mind / Guards?
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
Who said we only need one more guard for next year?

edit: grammar, punctuation, context.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:09:00 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Goose

• All American
Re: Anybody want to change there mind
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
I am sure there will be 4-5 posters that will defend the depth at every position going into next year. Only problem is, they are delusional.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
Two please.  And at least one more the following year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
Currently, there us only one scholarship open.  And I have said for a long time that a graduate transfer and a freshman would be better.  We agree the team will need help AR guard.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
Their.  Anyone want to change their mind.

And no.  I still think we need at least one.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
Agree.  Two (2) point guards and side of "toughness."

Other than Theo John, the team seems soft.  it could be injuries and tired legs.  Maybe a summer of recovery and weight training . . .

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Currently, there us only one scholarship open.  And I have said for a long time that a graduate transfer and a freshman would be better.  We agree the team will need help AR guard.

I would be shocked if Harry stayed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
Me too.  And if not him, then somebody else.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
I would be shocked if Harry stayed.

At this point, I agree.  Hope to be surprised.

But two more true guards do sound nice.  Wouldn't hate 2 grad transfers.  In on some nice 2019 players - having 3 scholarships for that class wouldn't be all bad.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
Agree.  Two (2) point guards and side of "toughness."

Other than Theo John, the team seems soft.  it could be injuries and tired legs.  Maybe a summer of recovery and weight training . . .
We don't have a true point guard this year..does Wojo's offense even need a true point guard? We need someone to guard the opposing team's PG and bring the ball up..it should be that simple. Hauser and Howard are tough..I don't see how someone could think otherwise

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
We don't have a true point guard this year..does Wojo's offense even need a true point guard? We need someone to guard the opposing team's PG and bring the ball up..it should be that simple. Hauser and Howard are tough..I don't see how someone could think otherwise

Anybody who watched the last minute of that shyteshow knows why you need competent PGs.

I enjoyed watching AR these last 2 years, and Markus is a special scoring talent, but neither is a PG. Especially Markus. Weak handle, poor decision-maker with the ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »
Anybody who watched the last minute of that shyteshow knows why you need competent PGs.

I enjoyed watching AR these last 2 years, and Markus is a special scoring talent, but neither is a PG. Especially Markus. Weak handle, poor decision-maker with the ball.
The last time I saw a SG be asked to break the press and fail so miserably, Tony Miller showed up on campus the next fall.  I'd take that outcome.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »
The last time I saw a SG be asked to break the press and fail so miserably, Tony Miller showed up on campus the next fall.  I'd take that outcome.

Marcus Jackson -> Dominic James

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
Marcus Jackson -> Dominic James
That would be acceptable also
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
I'm good with one. We had the same concerns about Rowdy last year and he developed just fine. I think Markus will do the same.

If we do have an extra scholarship, and I expect to, I would take best available player, especially a guard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
I am sure there will be 4-5 posters that will defend the depth at every position going into next year. Only problem is, they are delusional.

I haven't heard a single thing like this. Guard depth has been a consistent concern for next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
I haven't heard a single thing like this. Guard depth has been a consistent concern for next season.

Agreed.

Goose, you're better than such a strawman argument.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »
Ne1 wanna lern English?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:09 PM »
Ne1 wanna lern English?

Those last five minutes definitely show how important Sam is. He’s our best weapon on a press break.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
Those last five minutes definitely show how important Sam is. He’s our best weapon on a press break.

Yep. I also said this as I watched that shyteshow at the end. Everything runs more smoothly with Sam on the court.

That being said, it looks like it's time to shut him down. Absolutely no reason to run a half-speed (at best) Sam out there for an exhibition tournament.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
I will ask Goose what I should think before I decide whether I think we need more guard depth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
Nope.  Just one guard.  Where will the 2nd guard play?  One new guard and Howard start, Elliott and Anim off the bench.  2nd new guard would be an end of bench guy who'll be recruited over in the fall.  Traci Carter all over again.  If you do add a 2nd, it'll be a traditional transfer.

Frontcourt is stacked: Hauser-Hauser-Morrow log big minutes.  Sam and Joey can both handle.  Heldt & John for when we need height at C, Cain & Bailey as skilled F, Eke as a project.  Froling, we'll see if he's back.  Not much room for 3 guard lineups.

I'm thinking two guards in 2019.  BPA if you sign 3.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
Lol no we only need one PG Elliott with two healthy hands, should be ok. Problem is I do not know why our guards are trying to break press dribbling, should be minimal dribbling two guards passing, get it to center court to Sam or whoever is in for him, then if big is open down near basket pass it to him, if not just make sure you get it pass half court.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
Nope.  Just one guard.  Where will the 2nd guard play?  One new guard and Howard start, Elliott and Anim off the bench.  2nd new guard would be an end of bench guy who'll be recruited over in the fall.  Traci Carter all over again.  If you do add a 2nd, it'll be a traditional transfer.

Frontcourt is stacked: Hauser-Hauser-Morrow log big minutes.  Sam and Joey can both handle.  Heldt & John for when we need height at C, Cain & Bailey as skilled F, Eke as a project.  Froling, we'll see if he's back.  Not much room for 3 guard lineups.

I'm thinking two guards in 2019.  BPA if you sign 3.
Get out of here!
Goal is National Championship

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:41 PM »
Lol no we only need one PG Elliott with two healthy hands, should be ok. Problem is I do not know why our guards are trying to break press dribbling, should be minimal dribbling two guards passing, get it to center court to Sam or whoever is in for him, then if big is open down near basket pass it to him, if not just make sure you get it pass half court.
It's been pointed out a few places tonight, but the key word in your post is Sam. By far our most important player, and tonight it showed.  This is why I'm torn on whether or not I want him to play Sunday.  He needs to get healthy but if we go 40 minutes without him, it could get ugly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:15:21 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.