Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSG is bad for you.  (Read 8604 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: MSG is bad for you.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Because they gave up an easy lay up.

And what about the 2 previous possessions mr wizard?

A defensive stop, and the possession before that a turn over.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:43 PM »
Kudos to Markus for not forcing it when he didn’t have it.  How about that charge he took late in the game.  He was working really hard when getting posted up and did well. Rowsey isn’t a good defender and is lazy about it. Markus isn’t a good defender but works his tail off.

Would have liked to see more Jamal, but what do I know. Sacar picked up the slack in scoring for the team tonight.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »
Well, the commentators mentioned how well-reffed the game was.

I think we were lucky to escape.  When the offense bogs down, we will have trouble beating even bad teams (like DePaul). Markus was MIA, Rowdy saved our bacon, with help from Sam. Good lesser roles from Matty & Sacar.

We continue to have trouble with BOOBs defensively. This is not new. It pisses me off that this situation has persisted for years. It also bothers me that we didn't have a better end-of-game play. This is something that should be practiced, practiced, practiced. I think both of these issues reflect badly on Wojo. I'm not an anti-Wojo guy, but honestly, some of these persistent problems make me wonder why he does not see them and work to correct them.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »
Kudos to Markus for not forcing it when he didn’t have it.  How about that charge he took late in the game.  He was working really hard when getting posted up and did well. Rowsey isn’t a good defender and is lazy about it. Markus isn’t a good defender but works his tail off.

Would have liked to see more Jamal, but what do I know. Sacar picked up the slack in scoring for the team tonight.

Is the top part supposed to be teal or are you Marcus yourself?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »
At least wojo got that 3rd win in a row...

Seriously why did he go away from zone?

Why was Howard in the game when he was cold and does nothing else effectively. Why were Rowsey and Howard in the game in the last defensive possession with a timeout in the bank.

No idea, I really hope wojo has reasons for it, because from my eyes it was a poorly coached game.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
Because they gave up an easy lay up.

How many freaking easy layups did our M2M defense give up?  How many fouls did we commit while in man? 

Teams are going to score..on a zone..and on M2M.  How or why anyone would think that because a team scores on a zone 1 out of 3 or hell 4 out of 5 possessions - that, that automatically makes it a worse option for this team is silly.

Wojo has ridden the zone exclusively for exactly one half of basketball, the 2nd half at Creighton.  That's it. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »
How many freaking easy layups did our M2M defense give up?  How many fouls did we commit while in man? 

Teams are going to score..on a zone..and on M2M.  How or why anyone would think that because a team scores on a zone 1 out of 3 or hell 4 out of 5 possessions - that, that automatically makes it a worse option for this team is silly.

Wojo has ridden the zone exclusively for exactly one half of basketball, the 2nd half at Creighton.  That's it.

And we’re 6-2 in our last 8 games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mug644

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
Howard stays in the game because he's threat and the defense has to be attentive to him. Even on a night like tonight. And, neither Cain nor Elliott did much in their minutes to justify taking time away from Howard.

Froling was terrible. Just terrible. I'm generally sympathetic, but his defense was atrocious and he offered nothing on offense, when we really needed it. I don't necessarily want him to leave, but it sure would be nice if he became a contributor.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
Howard stays in the game because he's threat and the defense has to be attentive to him. Even on a night like tonight. And, neither Cain nor Elliott did much in their minutes to justify taking time away from Howard.

Froling was terrible. Just terrible. I'm generally sympathetic, but his defense was atrocious and he offered nothing on offense, when we really needed it. I don't necessarily want him to leave, but it sure would be nice if he became a contributor.

Frolings man was laying in an uncontested layup about 2 seconds after he entered the game. Him and John were awful tonight.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 11:57:08 PM »
Why was Howard in the game when he was cold and does nothing else effectively. Why were Rowsey and Howard in the game in the last defensive possession with a timeout in the bank.

No idea, I really hope wojo has reasons for it, because from my eyes it was a poorly coached game.

It's weird how some teams just have other teams' number in conference play. We had a good Creighton team figured out this year, and Depaul seems to have us figured out. Whether it's coaching or matchups or a combination of both, it's all just part of being in a tough conference.

I'm with you, it seemed like some lineup moves didn't make a ton of sense late in the game, but it all worked out. On one hand, it's frustrating to see a lead get blown with lineups fans don't like, but on the other hand, we would have had this in the bag if Strus didn't nail some ridiculous shots in the second half. It all cuts both ways.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
We really push the limit on the idea that there are no bad wins in March. But it's behind us now. Get focused for tomorrow.
Yes, but Xavier needed a win the last game of the season against depaul to win the big east title and also won by just 3. They will take it and we need to as well.

Hopefully no one actually watches the last 15 seconds.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »
Why was Howard in with 11.5 up 1?
Why was Rowsey in with 11.5 up 1?

Why were both Howard and Rowsey in for defensive purposes up by 1 point without the ball??
One of the worst defensive duos were intentionally left in the game for the last possession for........wait for it......their D!?!

“Wow—did Marquette dodge one”
                           —RAF

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 12:22:34 AM »

Post-game, Rowsey said that Sacar called the screen and that he was supposed to switch. He didn't get bumped on the screen, so he never made the switch onto Strus.

That's why it was such a great call.  They were running that screen action all night and Strus slipped the screen on that play and confused the D.  Sacar made the wrong call to switch but once he made the call Rowsey should have switched.  Either way, Strus would have been open because he didn't get close enough to Rowsey for Rowsey to pick him up on the switch effectively.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 12:31:45 AM »

1. Not that many. 2. Way too many.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 12:42:16 AM »
How much money does the BEast pull in a year? Can they get a court that won’t cause players to slip. And for the love of god get the center of the court to match the color of the rest of the floor. It’s like we are some forgotten conference that only supplied the mid court logo and stickers for the paint. Is it that difficult to look like a professional conference?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 12:53:00 AM »
If Markus was "off" because he was shut down by Depaul, and thus decided he would likely hurt the team offensively by forcing things, that's a good IQ move.

But if he's not helping on offense (by his decision or by the defense), wouldn't we be better with others taking his minutes?

If nothing else, at least the defensive boost offered by others.

Wojo kept taking him out for Greg.  greg was better tonight but had foul issues or prolly woukd have played more
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 12:54:31 AM »

i2i

#M2N
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 12:55:54 AM »

U must of missed point 13 from tower,

13. Harry is better than Merritt, Otule, and Ooze Barro
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

connie

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
Like passing a kidney stone:  extremely painful, but ultimately, relief.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
I really hate to say it, but we do not look like a tournament team. May the force be with us tonight because we are really going to need it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
I really hate to say it, but we do not look like a tournament team. May the force be with us tonight because we are really going to need it.

Because we beat a top-100 Pomeroy team by the same margin Xavier did 4 days earlier?

This is the problem of viewing teams with scrutiny instead of objectivity. I'll say this, in coming out and getting a win, we looked more like a tournament team than NC State, Syracuse, Arizona State, or Washington did.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
Because we beat a top-100 Pomeroy team by the same margin Xavier did 4 days earlier?

This is the problem of viewing teams with scrutiny instead of objectivity. I'll say this, in coming out and getting a win, we looked more like a tournament team than NC State, Syracuse, Arizona State, or Washington did.
Agree.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
Only saw bits and pieces but we looked solid in the first half. Sounds like we looked quite trashy in the second half.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:54 AM »
1.  Hope MU plays better when they come back for the NIT.
2.  Markus, you were missed.
3.  Rebounding.
4.  Anim did good work on Strusz.  Except for the whole dumb fouling thing.  He abused Jamal and Greg.  And with Sacar out, he found his game and there was no answer.
5.  Foul trouble.  Perpetual.
6.  Depaul  has figured out how to to take MU out of their 3 pt rhythm.   Long guards, no help.
7.  6 players for 4 positions.  A problem since Haanif left.  Sometimes, it bites you in the butt. 
8.  Games where Sacar is the second best offensive option rarely end well. (Creighton the exception)
9.  Hope Sam's leg heals quickly.
10. Fitting ending.   
11.  And somehow, despite all the bad, MU survives for another day.
Respectfully disagree on #6. DePaul did an outstanding job of  hedging the screen and doubling Rowsey and Howard.

Thought Howard did a goid job on D tonight and didn't force things. Rather see a night like this than a 6 for 20 shooting performance

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
U must of missed point 13 from tower,

13. Harry is better than Merritt, Otule, and Ooze Barro
He wasn't last night.   He looked like he didn't want to play.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.