collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Alexa skills?  (Read 1761 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Alexa skills?
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »
Anyone else have an Alexa device?  What are your favorite skills?

The kids got a couple for xmas.  So far, the best skill is "Alexa, tell me a bedtime story."

Last night, I found you can add new stories, which is freaking awesome.

I got to add my favorite story, and many, many variations. 

Once upon a time, there was a little boy named {name}.  He wandered into a forest and was eaten by a bear.  The end.  Now go to bed.

Might need this one:

Once upon a time, there was a little boy named {name}.  One night he was hungry and ate some Arbys and his tummy hurt all night.  The end.  Now go to bed.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Alexa skills?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
I won one in a raffle and have absolutely no use for it. Don't listen to music, don't have an Amazon account. Actually kinda intrigued by this thread to see what I can do with it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
I enjoy playing "Jeopardy".  I know I haven't scratched the surface on its capabilities.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
I can't say it has a killer app for adults --  The kids like it, no doubt.  Santa brought them some $10 smart plugs and bulbs .. so they like telling Alexa to turn their room lights on, change colors, etc.  Cheap fun.  They have Alexa tell them stories a lot.  20 questions .. etc.   I've had my son do a few "guided meditations" as well.

Other than that .. I do ask an occasional question .. define a word .. what's the temperature/weather.   Where is the nearest Arby's.

There are 100s of skills to try, though. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
I can't say it has a killer app for adults --  The kids like it, no doubt.  Santa brought them some $10 smart plugs and bulbs .. so they like telling Alexa to turn their room lights on, change colors, etc.  Cheap fun.  They have Alexa tell them stories a lot.  20 questions .. etc.   I've had my son do a few "guided meditations" as well.

Other than that .. I do ask an occasional question .. define a word .. what's the temperature/weather.   Where is the nearest Arby's.

I have asked what movies are playing near me, or what time a particular movie is playing. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:48:51 PM »

dammit topper, your kids should have the locations of the 9 Arby's in the Metro Milwaukee area memorized.  Don't make them dependent on technology for The Meats.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
dammit topper, your kids should have the locations of the 9 Arby's in the Metro Milwaukee area memorized.  Don't make them dependent on technology for The Meats.

Kids these days, they need the tech.

Yesterday we were downtown on Wisconsin avenue and I asked them which direction was Lake Michigan.  Got 3 wrong answers.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »

It's my understanding that Alexa is always listening so if you plan on killing someone make sure you kill Alexa first as the police can subpoena Alexa as witness.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
I say good morning to Alexa and she gives me some tidbit of the day (today is the anniversary of the hula hoop patent) and then I ask her to tell me the news, which starts with Jimmy Fallon's monologue from last night, and then segues into a NPR news briefing, followed by the local weather.  Some days I ask her for the weather where my children live.  Have it set up for lights in the family room. 

The rest is pretty much music streaming, and answering questions (sports scores, how many ounces in a cup again? etc.)  Occasionally I'll use it as a kitchen timer. 

I assume you've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

Ludum habemus.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »
I enjoy playing "Jeopardy".  I know I haven't scratched the surface on its capabilities.

As a trivia nerd, this is my favorite one by far! They use the same categories as the show airing that day. First set of 6 is free but if you have prime you get the double jeopardy categories. 12 questions every day and if you miss some days they let you catch up. Nothing like a jeopardy binge at the end of the week.  8-)

"Open the magic box" takes you on an interactive story. Other good games are Categories, 20 Questions, and Question of the Day. "Tell me a ___ story". "Tell me a joke". Set multiple timers with your voice. Use Spotify, etc.

If you have Phillips Hue LED lights, you can sync your Alexa up and turn on lights, change color, or change brightness with your voice.

It's far from a necessity, but that's why they are $50 I suppose.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
I love the back rubs.

Sometimes, though, she wants to cuddle when I want to roll back over and go to sleep.

So annoying.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
I won one in a raffle and have absolutely no use for it. Don't listen to music, don't have an Amazon account. Actually kinda intrigued by this thread to see what I can do with it.

You don't listen to music? Or have an Amazon account? Are you the Unabomber?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »
Maybe someone can talk me out of it, but as a security professional, I struggle with the cost-benefit. The convenience doesn't seem worth the persistent data that it is/can be collecting. Not to say I shun giving companies my data, but the pervasiveness of this one is a bit much for me. Smart home IoT in general, I guess. US privacy/consumer protection laws are garbage.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
Maybe someone can talk me out of it, but as a security professional, I struggle with the cost-benefit. The convenience doesn't seem worth the persistent data that it is/can be collecting. Not to say I shun giving companies my data, but the pervasiveness of this one is a bit much for me. Smart home IoT in general, I guess. US privacy/consumer protection laws are garbage.

What's the difference between using Alexa and sitting on an iPad and accessing Youtube?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »

Wait until you hit Rumspringa.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
I use mine to play music, control a couple smart plugs, and set timers at halftime so I know when to change the channel back.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
I love the back rubs.

Sometimes, though, she wants to cuddle when I want to roll back over and go to sleep.

So annoying.

Does she scream at you to "compete, compete, compete"?

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 03:11:45 AM »