collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big 10 wants Big East’s weekend  (Read 1035 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Big 10 wants Big East’s weekend
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
Big Ten to ditch condensed schedule
Conference tournament won’t return to MSG — unless it gets later dates
By Teddy Greenstein Chicago Tribune
COLLEGE BASKETBALL One and done.
That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison SquareGarden in NewYork only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.
Why? Because moving this season’s event to MSG required the tournament to move up a week, creating a condensed regularseason schedule that coaches despised.
Indiana, for example, played five games during a 12-day span from Jan. 19-30. Illinois just suited up three times in five days.
“I appreciate the sacrifices the teams made, the impact it had on our students,” Delany said.
“Wasn’t good. Wasn’t healthy. I thought starting (the conference schedule) early was OK, but if you look at our schedules (through the years), we’ve been able to give everybody two-day prep (before games) in 99 percent of the cases.
“We won’t do it again this way, and I take responsibility for asking the coaches. … If we can make it back to the Garden on a regular week, that’s great.
“I know we will be back out East. Where we will be, I don’t know. It won’t be on a regular basis. I expect that 80 percent will be in legacy territory (Chicago and Indianapolis) and probably
20 percent out East, whether it’s in D.C. or Philadelphia or New York.”
Delany indicated that Philadelphia’s Palestra, which bills itself as the “Cathedral of College Basketball,” is too small with a capacity of 8,725.
He said he does not regret moving the tournament to New York, saying: “I don’t look backward. … And I’m not overlooking the objective, which is to give the players and the teams and our fans there a chance to see the Big Ten in the Big Apple.”
Delany estimated about 100,000 Big Ten alumni live in New York City and about a million in “the corridor from northern Virginia to southern Connecticut.”
“It is home to some of the great institutions in America — political, media, educational, athletic,” Delany said. “We expect a very good response.”
Delany said about 14,000 tickets have been sold for all sessions, the first of which is Wednesday. Individual tickets go on sale Monday after the bracket is set. Prices range from $20 for early sessions to $135 for top seats to the semifinals and championship game.
Delany views capacity at about 17,000 because MSG officials control the sale of suites, which bump the seating to 19,182.
Last year, in part because Maryland played only one game, the Big Ten tournament in Washington drew just 13,281 fans per session.
Chicago averaged 16,928 at the United Center in 2015. Indianapolis averaged 16,722 in 2016.
The other issue created by the condensed schedule is that the Big Ten’s NCAA tournament teams will be idle for roughly 10 to 14 days.
“It’s interesting,” Delany said. “Nobody has chosen to schedule a Division II or III game in that period. That’s a little indication that they don’t want that or need that.
There are positives and negatives (to the gap). Teams can rest up, put new things in and practice more. If we do well (in the tournament), everyone will be OK with it.” tgreenstein@chicagotribune.com Twitter @TeddyGreenstein
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:43:35 AM by mr.MUskie »

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Big 10 wants Big East’s weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
Big East to Big Ten:

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »
Hope they have fun in Indy....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
It’s not going to happen. They did this as a one off.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
It absolutely be in Chicago, if you want to throw in Indy, whatever.

You're the premiere Midwest conference, stay in your lane.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
It absolutely be in Chicago, if you want to throw in Indy, whatever.

You're the premiere Midwest conference, stay in your lane.

Looks like they've split pretty evenly between Indy and Chicago over the years, and already plan to do so for the next four....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

feedback