[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus doubtful for SJU  (Read 20515 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Markus doubtful for SJU
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
I doubt it, unless they are being extremely cautious with him, he was still on crutches yesterday not putting any weight on it.
Was at the Al yesterday for the women's Bball game, saw Markus there.

Was he wearing these?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
Probably trying to trick the Selection committee into thinking he can play in a tourney game. FML
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
Definitely going to affect his sweet dance moves for awhile.
Have some patience, FFS.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:12 AM »
Honestly, I find it a little strange I am not more concerned about this. Howard is arguably our best player, and leading scorer, but I just feel like the remaining personnel will require this team to play zone, which is clearly a much better defensive scheme for this group of guys.  We obviously need Howard if we want to make anything of this season, but with our next three games against the bottom three teams in the conference, I feel like we can survive without him.  Hopefully Marquette can play good ball in the meantime, and makes it clear to Wojo that this team Is at its best with just one of Markus and Rowsey on the court at once.

Here is to hoping we get A+ Rowsey in the meantime.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
I don't think it's a sign one way or the other. Could mean he can't put weight on it or that not putting weight on it will help resolve it faster.

This.

Basically, we know nothing more than he is unlikely to play Wednesday, which at least is more than we knew yesterday.

"Contusion" is now the go-to word to describe a wide range of sports injuries. Even though it is defined as a "bruise," it is used as a catch-all description of multiple injuries - and it isn't a lie because even if he dislocated his hip, he no doubt also suffered bruising.

I have seen football players miss a month or more with what have been described as "contusions." Also have seen players return later in the same game with "contusions."

So I will try not to read too much into this. I am not expecting Markus to play Wednesday, and we'll go from there.

Also agree with those hoping for a performance from Rowsey similar to his second half against Creighton and his games against Vermont, DePaul and Seton Hall. We don't need the "mad bomber" Rowsey, we need the "make everybody better" Rowsey - who also is capable of hitting a bomb or 4 if necessary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
This.

Basically, we know nothing more than he is unlikely to play Wednesday, which at least is more than we knew yesterday.

"Contusion" is now the go-to word to describe a wide range of sports injuries. Even though it is defined as a "bruise," it is used as a catch-all description of multiple injuries - and it isn't a lie because even if he dislocated his hip, he no doubt also suffered bruising.

I have seen football players miss a month or more with what have been described as "contusions." Also have seen players return later in the same game with "contusions."

So I will try not to read too much into this. I am not expecting Markus to play Wednesday, and we'll go from there.

Also agree with those hoping for a performance from Rowsey similar to his second half against Creighton and his games against Vermont, DePaul and Seton Hall. We don't need the "mad bomber" Rowsey, we need the "make everybody better" Rowsey - who also is capable of hitting a bomb or 4 if necessary.

Muscle contusions come in three grades, grade I, grade II, and grade III.  The recovery timeline for a grade I can be less than a week, and it is easy to play on.  Grade II you might play on the same day, but you shouldn't, recovery can be up to 4 weeks.  Grade III can be months. 

Same injury, different degrees of trauma to the muscle. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
Honestly, I find it a little strange I am not more concerned about this. Howard is arguably our best player, and leading scorer, but I just feel like the remaining personnel will require this team to play zone, which is clearly a much better defensive scheme for this group of guys.  We obviously need Howard if we want to make anything of this season, but with our next three games against the bottom three teams in the conference, I feel like we can survive without him.  Hopefully Marquette can play good ball in the meantime, and makes it clear to Wojo that this team Is at its best with just one of Markus and Rowsey on the court at once.

This is the silver lining I'm looking at with the Howard injury. It will finally force Wojo to accept that this team is at it's best not playing it's two bombers together and playing a 2-3 zone a lot of the time. Elliot and Cain should be getting 35+ minutes a game between the two of them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
This is great news.  Grind it out against SJU and find a way to win and then take your chances needing 2 wins against DePaul, Georgetown, and Creighton.

I guess that pressure Vegas was putting on the MU athletic department to give them an update on Markus before they set their line for Wednesday paid off after all.

Yes fantastic news - and good one on Vegas :-)
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

Agree completely.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
I think Rowsey takes the bull by the horns and goes bonkers next few games. Just need to keep him out of foul trouble.
By bonkers, does that mean 30 plus shots per game?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
By bonkers, does that mean 30 plus shots per game?

You joke, but Marcus comes way closer to the 30 shots per game  ::)

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
This is the silver lining I'm looking at with the Howard injury. It will finally force Wojo to accept that this team is at it's best not playing it's two bombers together and playing a 2-3 zone a lot of the time. Elliot and Cain should be getting 35+ minutes a game between the two of them.
Yep, absolutely. I think defenses are going to start collapsing a little more with Sacar slashing (especially after last game) giving Hauser and Rowsey more looks, assuming Sacar can find them. Also excited to see the zone look for a few more games especially against SJU - let Ponds shoot 3s all day.

This team could be a heck of a lot more complete going into the BE tourney assuming Howard is back and hopefully Wojo has a better feel of how to play Markus/Howard after the latter's absence - there are times when I want them both on the floor.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
Hopefully, he heals quickly. Howard being out may hurt our offense. However, I think we are better defensively without playing two under 6' guards. Biggest problem might be foul trouble.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:00:07 PM by bilsu »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
This.

If he dislocated his hip, he wouldn't be playing.  The crutches are probably for comfort.  If he's still using them, it probably really hurts to move.  This will likely be the 2012 Davante injury.  He will come back when ready, but nobody has any idea when.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
As long as it we beat SJU it doesnt matter. Id rather Markus take the time to heal. I think MU can beat SJU at home without him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
Bein' fitted for an ass boot as wee type, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
Folks, there is no silver lining in MH being hurt and missing playing time. I would not be looking for a better D to overshadow the loss of leading scorer. The zone worked on Saturday, but I would not bet the farm it happening again anytime soon. Howard out is a big time loss for the team.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »

We don't want Rowsey going bonkers.  We want him to play how he did in the second half at Creighton.  He got others involved.

Excellent point. We need a point guard who shares. If Rowsey does that our chances go up significantly. We know he can score but we need more team play.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
I want Sam to go bonkers again. He has shown he is completely capable of taking over a game in the past, and he might just get the volume to do it while Markus is out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »
Excellent point. We need a point guard who shares. If Rowsey does that our chances go up significantly. We know he can score but we need more team play.

Again with the myths.  Andrew has an assist rate of 24.7% in conference (with a turnover rate of only 14.1%).  Brunson's AR is 24.3%. Both are high usage PGs.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
Folks, there is no silver lining in MH being hurt and missing playing time. I would not be looking for a better D to overshadow the loss of leading scorer. The zone worked on Saturday, but I would not bet the farm it happening again anytime soon. Howard out is a big time loss for the team.
That's just not true. It's not preferable, but there is a silver lining evidenced solely by what occurred in the second half on Saturday. We absolutely do not win that game if Markus is still playing. And that's NOT a knock on MH - kid is a flat-out stud - but on the coaching staff. We can be a really good NIT team with Markus and Rowsey playing major/overlapping minutes. We just might be dancing if we stagger their PT with some prudent overlap.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
Windy

Agree to disagree. One half of zone D does not overshadow a season of being leading scorer. I think you are a bit over jacked for only one half of zone D to judge from. My guess, is that Chris M. might be more prepared for a zone than the idiot at CU.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
That's just not true. It's not preferable, but there is a silver lining evidenced solely by what occurred in the second half on Saturday. We absolutely do not win that game if Markus is still playing. And that's NOT a knock on MH - kid is a flat-out stud - but on the coaching staff. We can be a really good NIT team with Markus and Rowsey playing major/overlapping minutes. We just might be dancing if we stagger their PT with some prudent overlap.

Lets just be careful in assuming that just because zone worked for one half that MU has suddenly unlocked the magic that is going to carry us into the post-season.  As Goose said, teams will adjust.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »
Windy

Agree to disagree. One half of zone D does not overshadow a season of being leading scorer. I think you are a bit over jacked for only one half of zone D to judge from. My guess, is that Chris M. might be more prepared for a zone than the idiot at CU.
You may be right. As usual, time will tell.

feedback